Chapter 1

Evermore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today was the day that was feared by all. The area was filled with anticipation as everyone's hearts beated rapidly. It was selection day, a day in which those of college age were selected for a dangerous task. Out of all those present, that being four hundrend, two would be selected: one male and one female. Sulli knew that she was one of the candidates for selection. She envied her little sister, Choi Sunhee, who would never have to fear for the selection. The selection happened every four years, and with Sulli's luck, it was her year of turning eighteen. Her parents remained by Sulli's side to comfort her with words that she believed were meaningless at the moment. No matter how much she was told that the chances were low for selection, there was still a one in four hundred people chance that she would be the chosen one. 

Her eyes glazed over each individual present, each holding their own unique marks, her's being a small snow flower. All eyed the city council with anticipation at what would happen next. Murmurs spread about like wildfire and tensions rose. Sunhee clung tightly to Sulli, wishing that she would not have to go. Sulli pulled Sunhee closer and reassured her that all would end well, but something inside of her knew that her future would not bring about refreshing events. 

"All, may we please silence ourselves on this occasion." The city council head, Jong Taeki, gestured to everyone. He elevated himself above everyone as he looked at the audience before him. "On this special day, we have four hundred able young adults that may be candidates. Through our randomly selected system, one male and one female will be selected to enter the harsh world to find the Lost Pearl. We all know that parents may grieve at the announcement of their child's name, but we must remember who we are." Taeki allowed this to sink in. He sensed the anxiety amongst the young ones, the candidates, and their respective family members. "The selection begins now. In the next moment, two names will be selected from this chest."

Sulli's heart was about to burst at this moment. She watched attentively as Taeki's hand reached into the chest, pulling out two slips. A smile spread about on his face prior to reading the names. "You must all be anxious as to who was selected. Which gender shall I begin with first?"

Everyone chimed in at once, yelling the gender of their choice. Sulli remained silent, knowing that either way, the fate for the two selected people would be the same, so it didn't matter who was called first.

"I will then first begin with the male side," Taeki announced. "For this year's selection, we have––" Taeki paused for a second, but for those listening it felt like eternity. "We have Kim Myungsoo."

Sulli's eyes searched the rest of the audience. She saw the person presumed to be Myungsoo come forward. The pain was so clearly etched in his face, and the tears seemed as if they were on the brim of running down his face.

"A proud young man we have here. We will be relying endearingly on you Kim Myungsoo." Taeki pat Myungsoo's back before looking down at the female slip. "To stop this suspense, I will read off

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter