Ephemeral

Ephemeral

There's a small window between the time you look up and the time you turn back around, pretending like you never noticed me, pretending like I don't exist in your world.

 And between that small window of time, there is an even smaller window of time when you made eye contact. Your eyes, wide and filled with life, colored an unnatural color due to the colored contacts you tend to wear. Ethereal.

 During that small window of time, I believed that you had noticed me, the boy in the back with the cat-like smile that matches with your cat-like eyes; the boy with the big voice, unlike you, who tends to very quiet. During that small window, I believed that you had welcomed me into your world, and that I will begin to make an impact on your life with the simplest things, like a small hello or a nod with the head. I believed that something was going to become of us.

 You see, Kim Minseok, that small window felt like a thousand years to me. The simplest eye contact we made will make me start believing that we are meant to be, that you want to make something work. That, and the small, sky smile you had shoot me before returning to your work. It makes it seem like you want me in your life. You want me to believe in these things I am thinking.

 I will only ignore it now. Admire you from a distance, as I have always done, for you will never walk up to me and say a simple “Hey Jongdae” or a slick smile. It would be the little moments like this that I will beg for, and treasure them for the rest of my life. The little moments like this that I will believe we could actually be something. That I believe where I, Kim Jongdae, am in love with you, Kim Minseok.

 And yet, I won't do anything about it, because I simply can't.