CHAPTER 4: Her Guess

Our Bench by the Han River
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

There are two windows hidden by the big white curtains that you can jump from in case of suffocation. You just have to slide the frame and make sure there are no flower pots below.

Yellowish white lights plastered on the ceiling at every half a meter, completely lighting up the whole room. Maybe too bright that not a corner, object nor living specie can be hidden from the eye.

Not even the exactly three red miniscule lights that are psychologically blinding in a way that the literal sense could never make…

What else is there?

Ah.

The five black snapbacks.

Each person is holding an item or two related to their work: a pen and a paper, a mobile phone, exactly three video cameras…all of them looking different yet each of them has a frown on their face.

Made worse by the deafening threat of the tick of the clock thundering in the prolonged night.

“Rosé-ssi, we can’t be friends if you don’t talk to me,” he teases her, finally breaking her thoughts and the silence the staff has been frustrated about.

Granted, the main producer and writer who of course chose to work with the most popular tandem was more than ecstatic when Jungkook was not only able to make it to today’s meeting, but he proposed to have a friendly get-to-know interactive session today too—something the general public and the fans would totally appreciate.

But that only lasted for a few minutes when they realized not one of them was capable of having a word or two out of their lips. So for ten minutes, the producer and writer busied themselves, colliding their heads together to come up with plans on how they could get the two talk because no matter how organic they wanted their content to be, it would require an actual conversation or at least a few actions between the two idols.

So imagine the whole staff’s relief when Jungkook finally says something broadcast-worthy.

And when Rosé responds, adorably.

“Jungkook-ssi,” she imitates his mocking tone in a sly grin, “You’re the one who wanted the two of us to get to know each other. So, you’re supposed to ask me something or at least say anything after that.”

“My bad,” Jungkook scrunches his nose with a small smile, scratching the back of his neck like it had the biggest itch of the century, “I just don’t really know how to start a friendly conversation with, uh—I’m actually shy—uncomfortable with, uh, uhm—”

“Not used to girls,” her face lights up like the sun with the confirmed fan theory, “I know.”

And that confuses Jungkook, “You know?”

“I-uh,” well . What was Rosé supposed to say, that she has the biggest fan-like crush on him and that she’s gone past the Army Bombs and now binge-watching his fan-cams and fan-made videos?

No way would she do that and make him think—and the rest of the world—she’s crazy.

So she settles with a lie, “The staff may have told me a thing or two about you too,” the exact lie Jungkook told her.

“They know?” his doe eyes widen even more, muttering a few words only Rosé could catch, “I didn’t know I was that obvious.”

Rosé stifles her fit of giggles then as fan-cams of him literally running away from female idols as if standing next to them could already erupt into a scandal flashes in her mind.

“Well, since you knew, you should have started the conversation then. Something tells me you’re a woman of not so few words and an individual who can’t help but help a man in need,” the sudden courage and assumption totally based on his own theory that she was his friend.

“Why do you think that?” Rosé asks in complete amusement and curiosity. She always thought her image was of a shy and innocent one. That and being a foodie.

Jungkook shrugs, “You just seem to be the type of girl who tries to cheer up every single human being on earth with pure optimism on baby pink notes.”

Rosé gulps.

And gapes.

And almost curses in a professional setting with the unexpected and very specific lucky guess.

Fortunately, she’s secretly a great actress—though she doesn’t have any plans entering that business. She heartily laughs on Jungkook’s comment in a very believable act then, shaking her head in disbelief as if that was the most ridiculous thing she’s heard today.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t a lucky guess by Jungkook, nor was it a slip of the tongue. It was actually a bait, a bait thrown at her to figure out if she really was the same person. And based on her reaction, before the cover-up which Jungkook just happens to be too good of an observer, he knew he has struck a nerve.

Hopefully, it’s the nerve that screams yes, I’m the one!

But of course, with just that there wasn’t a guarantee.

Perhaps with a few more baits…

“You must be really so used to flying back and forth,” Rosé furtively changes the topic, “because look at you being all chatty now. It’s as if you don’t have an ounce of jetlag in you.” She then intertwines her fingers together under her chin and dreamily says, “It must be amazing, going to different countries and getting to see all kinds of beautiful scenes.”

“I guess…” Jungkook agrees, mesmerized in her beauty, “But nothing still beats Han River.”

Yep.

Jungkook just had to.

“In fact,” he continues, “if I didn’t have work today, I’d be sitting on one of the benches at the west side of the river there you know, far from everyone’s scrutinizing and just a night of peace.”

And strangely, Rosé knows that feeling. Especially since she shares that connection with someone she considers very special.

So she nods, unconsciously blurting out as she suddenly misses her friend, “Yeah, me too,” much to the satisfaction of Jungkook.

“Really? You go to Han River too on your days-off?” Jungkook asks, as if he didn’t have an idea of how she spends her non-working days assuming she really was her.

“Uh, yeah, I ride my bicycle there sometimes. Get some air, you know.” Yes I know, Jungkook wanted to say. “On rare days, I bring my guitar too and play a few songs, helps release stress.”

“Really? How come I never heard you? Like seriously, how come we never crossed paths?” Because really, in the three years they were writing letters to each other, how the hell did they manage to come on the days the other wasn’t present? So perfectly timed as if the obsessed fans have such a strong hold on God.

“Probably because you’re too busy touring the world?” Rosé offers, her fascinated smile saying that she’s sure that’s the exact reason. She’s not wrong.

But he’s not wrong either when he replies, “Says the girl who’s highly in-demand on variety shows, endorsements and magazine covers. On top of that, your first concert tour too.”

“Wow, someone’s been keeping tabs,” Rosé teases him.

Jungkook just snorts at her attempt and honestly answers, “I’m a fan Rosé-ssi. So yes, I’ve been keeping tabs on you.”

And damn if that didn’t make Rosé’s heart swell knowing he is in fact a Blink. And not just that, but that he puts effort too into knowing what Rosé is up to, her and not BlackPink.

Caught up in her little pink bubble, Rosé doesn’t notice Jungkook moving his chair closer to hers until he speaks, “Can you teach me how to play?” Her cheeks flame up in a heartbeat then with just the sudden nearness of his voice, even though they’re still a meter apart.

Before she knows it, maybe because of the intoxicating proximity, Rosé blabs, “You know how to play the guitar.”

Jungkook his eyebrow with a smirk, quite surprised and thrilled that she knows that fact about him. “I wasn’t talking about the guitar. I was talking about the piano,” he says as he presses a few keys on the keyboard just behind Rosé, making him lean even closer to her.

God forbid, he’s forgotten about the cameras now it seems…well,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter