CHAPTER 1: His Secret

Our Bench by the Han River
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It’s just another normal day.

If normal meant having to wake up at around four in the morning for an early photo shoot, then simultaneously recording songs and learning choreographies, topping it off with an interview with an international broadcast station, then yes. It was another normal day for Jeon Jungkook.

Sitting on a stool at 10:48PM with just a microphone on his hand, this is the first time Jungkook, and probably the rest of the BTS members, is able to have a breather. Because really, interviews are now a piece of cake for them especially since they have heard every question that’s possible in their five years of global fame, even those that seem scandalous and insensitive.

Yes, even international interviews that are usually handled by Namjoon, their leader who is impressively fluent in English. Whereas the rest of them either just smile, puts in a few slangs, nods, pretends to understand, etc. But mostly, they just talk when the question is directed at them.

Just like now, “Jungkook, I heard you are surprisingly an introvert.”

Jungkook responds after Namjoon translates for him, “Ah yeah. Especially before, I was really shy back then.”

Suga then goes on to say, “That’s true. He couldn’t even take his clothes in front of us!”

“Nor sing or dance when he’s training to become an idol,” Jin laughs, a similar sound to screeched glass windows as always.

“But when I grow comfortable around people and I have enough trust in them like a real family, I became more outgoing and cheerful.”Jungkook then continues, concluding his answer, “It’s been years since I’ve considered them as my own brothers, so I’m not really reserved with any of them anymore. In fact, I’m just too close with them that there’s a bit of each of their personalities in me already.”

“He’s the BTS concoction,” Namjoon smoothly finishes for their beloved maknae, after translating everything.

“BTS can--tion-u!” Taehyung repeats in his cute accent. Jimin of course just adorably laughs at his best friend. Even more when Hoseok does his trademark sound effects.

Jungkook was about to daydream when the interviewer once again calls his attention. Unusual when Namjoon is just in front of her, I know. “That’s great to hear. I’m sure your fans are relieved and happy to hear that. But I’m sure, there must have been a few times when you just wanted to spend time alone, and given that you guys are big stars, that must have been frustrating.”

“It was at first, so I’d go out to Hongdae or somewhere without permission and that would get me into so much trouble,” earning some oohs from his hyungs. “But lately our company gives us more freedom as they trust us so I’m able to do things even without a manager.”

“But that’s probably because our schedule is so tight nowadays that there’s no way for us to walk around with crowds in daylight,” Suga interjects.

And it was. With a comeback, a full album with that coming their way and a series of concert tours and program appearances both local and internationally, it would be a miracle if they could even get more than an hour of proper undisturbed sleep.

“That’s why Han River at dawn is the only place I can go to now if I want some time to myself.”

“So are you planning to go there after we wrap up here?”

At this sudden cheeky question, Taehyung couldn’t help but whisper to Jimin, “Is it just me, or she’s been persistent on asking such questions to Jungkook since we started. You know, like hinting on places…" an idea then strucks Taehyung's mind, "Do you think she has a crush on our maknae?”

Jimin smirks, “Without a doubt.”

“Well what if they’re secretly dating and—”

Jimin softly giggles at the thought, “Are you serious?”

“What?”

“You know she’s so not his type.”

Oblivious to this, the blonde smiles at Jungkook, an undeniably sugary and flirty one, but either Jungkook doesn’t realize that or doesn’t have any interest in her at all as he firmly replies, “No, I wish nothing but to sleep now to be honest.”

 

But that of course was a lie as Jungkook just parked his bicycle at the bike rack near to his usual spot, the far left bench by the river. He then takes a sit, shuts his eyes from the world and listens to the melodic gush of the wind and to the song of the flowing body.

“Ha,” he puffs, thankful that he’s finally able to have a real break from everything even for just an hour. Not that he has complains about his successful life, just that he really wants some peace before waking up to another beautiful chaos.

That, and he couldn’t wait another day to have a chat with his secret friend.

Yes, Jeon Jungkook has a secret friend. Scandalous isn’t it?

But not really if even he himself doesn’t know who his secret friend is. What?

Once he’s satisfied by the tranquillity of the scene, Jungkook opens his eyes and dearly pats the old bench he’s sitting on, “It’s been quite a while...Right, bench?”

Yes, Jeon Jungkook literally just started a conversation with the manufactured wood. But that isn’t the crazier part.

The truth is there is really a real person communicating with him despite being invisible to him. Sounds deranged right? But not until you hear the whole story.

 

It was September of 2016 and a little past two in the morning when Jungkook decided he missed the Han River scene. And when he did, it usually meant one thing. He was having another severe fit of existential crisis and the mighty Jungkook could no longer suppress it. He needed a release, an outlet for the tears that must never be seen especially by his teammates.

He was known to be the strong one among them, the one who was fine with all the lemons that celebrity life threw at them. Even though he was the youngest, he was the older guys’ pillar too. So that’s why he could never, ever, show any of them that he was vulnerable too. He couldn’t betray their faith in him.

And so here he was again, at the secluded bench by the river where not even the best paparazzi could take a photo of his bare tear-stained face.

Amidst the bucket of tears, Jungkook reached for his pocket, a tiny knife on his palm.

He was about to do it again.

He was about to leave a permanent mark again on it. On the bench, I mean.

But before he could even scratch the surface, he noticed new marks leaving him perplexed and wary.

Did anyone found out his hiding place? Did they know it was him writing this?

Panic then rises in his chest when he realizes this could be a published article already by the time the sun rises from its sleep.

But then it shifted to another emotion when he read the newly carved words that was a response to his “I just want to be happy.”

Check under.

So he did.

Jungkook squatted in front of the bench before glancing sideways to check any hidden cameras or the like. When he was quite sure that it was safe, he tilted his head enough to see underneath the bench, and was surprised to see a baby pink note there safely tucked or rather massacred by strips of adhesive tape.

It was quite a struggle but he was able to acquire the note without tearing any part of it. He would have hated going all the trouble and effort just to tear the letter before reading it whatever it may be that was written on it.

And that’s exactly what he felt. A little loved and smiley.

He knew it wasn’t necessary, as well as hell scary if this was actually a crazy obsessed fan, but for that moment it didn’t matter. All he knew was he needed to let the mysterious person know that he was grateful. Beyond grateful actually to be comforted after all the time that he had to battle his problems alone.

So he replied. He engraved the words “Thank you :)” right below the mysterious person’s carving.

And that was it.

Until two nights later, he found a new response on the bench indicating that there was a new note below.

Welcome ^^ ↓↓↓

One word, seven letters, and five special characters, and never have Jungkook smiled like an innocent child who gained a new friend. To be honest, he was quite confused on why would there be another note as he simply thought that it was just a straightforward exchange of solace and gratitude that could have ended there. Yes, he was nervous too, curious on what the note would say, but more than that, he was hell excited.

Why was he excited? He wasn’t sure too. He just knew there was never a need to read someone’s letter but now. So he did. He quickly bent forward, his arm under the bench searching for a piece of paper until he finally feels the familiar stampede of adhesive tape.

Careful yet hurried, he knelt down in front of the bench without a care in his surroundings and delicately detached the paper under it. He then relaxed himself on the bench once he had completed his mission, panting as if he just went through hell and back just to get the piece of paper.

Guessing from the huge grin Jungkook had on his face, really, there was really no way he would have said no, especially from a very cute letter which he hoped came from a very cute girl too—wait, what?

 

From then on, Jungkook has gained a new comrade he could fully trust and rely on during his weakest moments, as well as a caring and genuine friend even on nothing special days. Sunny, rainy, whatever the weather was, they never failed to send a response. In fact, their overly taped letter evolved into a weatherproofed one after one rainy day that drenched his friend’s letter, making Jungkook agitated the whole week not knowing what his friend said.

They’ve wrote so many letters to each other, talking about the most random topics from music to tattoos to animals, that Jungkook no longer needs to exert effort and just simply slides his hand under the left side of the bench, their usual spot, to get the letter.

The world seems to have stopped and only the harmony of the river flowing and the deep rhythmical bass of Jungkook’s heart could be heard. He doesn’t know why or what, but there’s something inside his chest for sure that’s rapidly growing, illuminating and is unstoppable.

Before he knows it, he finishes replying in his own handwriting and safely tucks it in their well-paid case.

BTS is back again at the rehearsal hall, practicing new dance moves for their upcoming digital single for a month now even though it will only be promoted for about two weeks. Yes, this is how perfectionists they are.

But that wasn’t the only reason why they’ve been burning their bodies for a single choreography. It was also because they’ve been messing up a lot lately too. To be specific, Jin has.

He’s been missing too many rehearsals that he couldn’t keep up even more than usual with everyone especially since the new choreography’s difficulty level is the highest among everything that they have done. It was really getting out-of-hand so much to the point that even an angel couldn’t help it anymore.

“Ah hyung!” Hoseok howls, a rare sight for everyone but he really is at his boiling point. “We’ve been doing this for a month now and you haven’t still gotten pass the first verse! I told you it’s just 1-2-and-3-and-4!”

“Yeah, yeah,” Jin shrugs, “sorry, I’ll try to get it this time.”

“Alright,” Namjoon claps as he calls everyone’s atte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter