Chapter 16

Black Diamond

Black Diamond

 

 

16. Chapter 16

 

Kamella hated the smell of cigarette smoke. It permeated the air, seeping into everything, and made her feel nauseous. She coughed behind her hand, and tried to take a deep breath. The living room smelled too much like Yeo Na’s killer.

Kamella opened the patio door and inhaled as deeply as possible. The fresh mountain air was so much better, even though it didn’t help her improve emotionally. Her brown eyed gaze fell on the huge trees and towering mountains in the distance. Any other time, Kamella would be excited to be in a new place, especially since she had never been to Colorado before. Instead, all of nature’s beauty just made her feel empty.

She just wanted to go home.

“Diamond,” An accented voice called from behind her, making her take in another gulp of clean air before she turned around. The client this time was an attractive, young CEO from Australia -- a tall, tanned man, with a fantastic build, and a penchant for cigarettes. He wasn’t cruel to her by any means, but Kamella couldn’t help but feel disgusted by him.

He was the highest bidder for the week.

His arms slid around her waist, and Kamella fought against the urge to recoil away from him. She had been feeling this way for months, and it worried her -- how much longer would she be able to stomach this job? At what point would she get sick of all of it?

“I don’t want to leave yet. Can’t you come to Australia with me?” He mumbled against her ear, slanting his lips against her earlobe.

Kamella shook her head, forcing out a soft laugh, “You know the rules, Brian. One week.”

Brian frowned, releasing his hold on her, “What if I take you anyway?”

“You’re forgetting who I am.” She replied, calling his bluff. “Would you like to tell Dealer that you’ve decided to take me away?”

Brian laughed, a deep chuckle that would have sounded pleasant if Kamella wasn’t so disappointed in him, “Who says we have to tell him anything?”

Kamella shrugged, a sardonic smile crossing her features, “I’ll be sure to say that at your funeral.”

She stepped out of arm's reach, heading back into the house Brian had rented for the week.

It was a beautiful, five bedroom home, nestled away in the mountains just outside of Denver, Colorado. There were wide, floor-to-ceiling windows in the living room, covering the western wall of the house, offering scenic views of the beautiful mountains around them.

They had driven into the city a few times during the week to have dinner at expensive restaurants and go shopping, but mostly Brian just wanted Kamella to keep him company during his vacation. He was definitely one of her nicer clients, but that was the problem -- he was still just a client.

Kamella had been away from Seoul for two months in total. Just as she had anticipated, Dealer sent her away from the club as soon as he could. He confiscated everything: her credit cards, her cell phone, even her car keys and clothes. It was up to the clients if she was given anything at all.

Brian had been the most generous so far. He bought her an entire suitcase full of brand new clothes, and made sure she had enough spending money to buy whatever she wanted. But he stuck to Kamella’s side like glue, and even when he went to sleep at night, his security detail had plenty of free time to watch her every move. Kamella didn’t have a cell phone to call for help, and she knew that Dealer would be monitoring her email address and bank accounts.

But today would be different. Finally, she was going back to Seoul. Finally, she could try to plan her escape to see Olivia, Sung Joon, her Diamond kids, and… Taeyong.

Kamella tried her best not to think about him because she missed him too much. It wouldn’t help her to dwell on their relationship since he had ended their contract anyway. Still, the feeling persisted. It made her chest feel heavy.

“Are you almost finished packing?” Brian asked her gently, following her into the master bathroom, where Kamella began to pack the last of her belongings into a cosmetic bag.

“I’ll be finished soon,” She replied quietly, trying not to show just how excited she was at the thought of finally going home.

“And you’re sure I can’t persuade you to come to Australia with me?” He asked, and Kamella gave him a cool, unfazed glance in the giant bathroom mirror.

“If you like that pretty face of yours, I suggest you stop asking me that.”

Brian laughed, shaking his head, “You really won’t budge.”

“No. And you shouldn’t be asking,” Kamella warned, zipping up her makeup bag. She turned to face Brian, hoping that he was as smart as he looked.

Brian nodded, reluctantly resigning to his fate, “You know, I have enough money to-”

Kamella held up her hand, shaking her head, “You don’t. He doesn’t want a one and done deal. He wants money for life. Unlimited cash. And even if you offer, he’ll take your money, and then cut out your tongue just for asking.” Kamella didn’t bother to mince words. She had had this conversation before. Most women would be flattered, maybe even awe-struck by the romantic notion of someone “buying her freedom”, but Kamella wasn’t.

There was no getting out. There was no escape.

“Sir, if we don’t leave soon, you might be late for your flight.” A voice from the other side of the bedroom door interrupted their conversation, and Kamella took the opportunity to grab her suitcase, heading towards the door.

Brian reached for her wrist as she walked by him, “I hope I can win you over next week.”

“You can try,” Kamella said in an uninterested tone, just as two secruity guards entered the room to take their luggage. Kamella handed over her suitcase in silence, allowing Brian to lead her back downstairs and out to the driveway, where a car was waiting for them.

Just then, Brian’s phone rang. Kamella didn’t have to guess who it was. By the way Brian’s face paled at the Caller ID, she already had an idea.

“Yes, we’re heading towards the airport now... She’s right here.” He told the caller, his voice steady, though his expression was anything but. After a moment, Brian handed the phone to Kamella.

“What?” She replied, her eyes narrowing in annoyance.

“Diamond, I thought a two month vacation would improve your attitude.” Dealer’s voice replied in her ear, and Kamella rolled her eyes.

“It didn’t. What do you want?” Kamella deadpanned, earning an odd look from Brian.

“I’ll be waiting for you at the airport.”

“In Seoul?”

“And give you a chance to play hooky? Oh no, I’m in Denver already.”

Kamella knew Brian was still listening to her side of the conversation so she simply said, “Ok. See you soon.” And ended the call.

“He told you that he’s here already?” Brian asked, stating the obvious. Kamella nodded, making Brian frown thoughtfully, “If he’s that upset about letting you go, why does he keep loaning you out to everyone?”

“He’s not upset.” Kamella replied, her thoughts going to the people that actually were upset about her absence. Sung Joon had managed to get a hold of her two weeks ago at the airport in Beijing, and he was still fuming at her treatment. Dealer had been on a business trip at the time, so she was being escorted by his goons to a client in the city. Sung Joon bumped into her purposefully, and they snuck away to meet each other in a family bathroom while the idiodic guards went to buy her coffee.

Sung Joon had given her an update on everyone at the club, including Olivia. He told her that they were all doing well and that the former Queen of Hearts was nowhere to be found. Kamella hadn’t been brave enough to ask him about Taeyong, and Sung Joon didn’t offer her any information willingly. Instead, she handed off her personal cell phone, and made Sung Joon promise to hold on to it for her.

Kamella hoped that Sung Joon would be able to find her again, but after their last meeting, there hadn’t been anymore contact. She knew he had access to the bidding page because his father was such a high roller within the House of Cards, so if nothing else, he knew where she was, and he knew she was alive.

The ride to the airport was uneventful, as was her meet up with Dealer. Kamella gave Brian a hug, took her luggage from his security guard, and headed to the gate without a single glance behind her. Dealer was right on her heels, amused by her silent treatment.

“Are you still angry with me? Diamond, I haven’t seen you in three weeks.” Dealer told her smoothly, his honey colored eyes glowing warmly as if he actually meant the words. Kamella fixed him with an icy glare, knowing full well he was lying to her.

“How about this? I’ve brought you a gift.” Dealer offered, leaning into Kamella’s personal space.

Kamella didn’t get her hopes up, but she lifted an eyebrow, “So?”

Dealer grinned, pulling a cell phone out of his pocket, “Look familiar?”

Of course it did; he was holding Kamella’s “business” phone. She had hidden her real cell phone away much earlier, and hopefully, Olivia or Sung Joon had it in their hands already.

“You’ve got a lot of clients who miss you in Seoul. I’m willing to let you see them on one condition…”

“Which is?”

“Make me 100 by the end of the week, then you can keep your phone.” Dealer announced, offering the phone to Kamella. She snatched it from his hand before he could take it back, powering the device on. The phone vibrated for a good 5 minutes straight, from the sheer number of calls and texts coming in. Kamella planned to read every message.

“100?”

“Let’s just say the other zeroes are implied,” Dealer added smugly, feeling proud of himself. It’d be hard for her to make that much in just seven days, especially when their staff was short-handed.

“Deal,” Kamella finally smiled, and Dealer narrowed his eyes, not liking how easily she agreed to his price. Was she really that confident in her ability to make money after being away for two months? He frowned.

“Should I increase it to 150?”

Kamella wagged her finger, shaking her head, “Nah-uh, Dealer. Too late to take it back now.”

Dealer scowled, conceding to his mistake, “I’m having that phone tracked at all times. Don’t think you can get anywhere without me knowing.”

Kamella nodded absentmindedly, waving his words away. She was too busy looking for text messages from her own phone number. There was one.

In Paris. Be back in two weeks. SJ.

Kamella was relieved. Sung Joon had still had her phone and he was sending her updates. She replied with a single word, hoping he would get the message.

With Sung Joon

The moment Sung Joon received Kamella’s text message on the other side of the world, he stared at the screen for a moment, his heart pounding with hopeful joy. He rubbed his chest, willing the erratic beating to calm down. Kamella was alive. She was ok, and since she had replied to his message, that meant she had access to her phone.

He shot back a question mark, hoping she would give him the ok to call her, but the single “X” she sent back, immediately told him all he needed to know. They had developed this language when they were trying to plan their “lessons” without his friends and family knowing; little shorthand texts that would make no sense to anyone else reading the messages.

She quickly text him back.

Landing 0400.

She would be back at 4 am? He checked the time on his phone quickly -- he had nearly 20 hours to get everything ready for her return to Seoul. He picked up the phone and called Olivia first. She answered the phone on the first ring.

“Oh my God, MEL-!”

Sung Joon exhaled bitterly, feeling apologetic for getting Olivia’s hopes up, “Livvie, it’s just me.”

Oppa? What the hell are you doing with Mel’s phone? Where are you?” Olivia blurted, surprised to hear his voice.

“At home. Kammie gave it to me for safe keeping.”

“But… how?”

“We met up in Beijing, and she handed it off. She looked all right. I could tell she was tired, but she wasn’t-”

“That’s good to know,” Olivia murmured softly, and Sung Joon took a seat on his couch.

“Liv, I need your help. Mel erased everything in this phone, so I need a number from you.”

“Of course! Whose number do you want?”

“I need the phone number for Mel’s Ace.” There was silence on the line, making Sung Joon sigh as Olivie hesitated, “I won’t do anything to him. Mel’s coming back to Seoul in less than 20 hours, and I have no idea where she’s coming from. We have to find her, and I’m going to need help.”

“...He might not be able to help you, Oppa. Mel wants us to protect him. If you pull him back in-”

“He’s the one she chose. He is Kammie’s one and only Ace. If he’s going to be a coward about it, he doesn’t deserve her or her black Ace card. But that’s not up for either of us to decide, Liv… As much as it annoys me.”

Olivia pushed out a breath, “You’re right. I’ll text you the information right now. Hold tight. I’ll talk to the Diamond kids and see if anyone can cover for me so I can help you at the airport.”

Sung Joon thanked Olivia and ended the call, biting the pad of his index finger while he waited for her to text him. In moments, Taeyong’s contact card appeared on the screen, and Sung Joon stood up, heading for the front door.

He called the phone number while he put his shoes on, wondering if Taeyong would actually step up to the challenge heading their way.

With Taeyong

Taeyong buried his head under Kamella’s pillow. Her scent was long gone from the bed, but his memories of her were still there. He breathed deeply, closing his eyes as thoughts of their last day together came rushing to his mind.

He recalled the feeling of her skin underneath his fingertips, the softness of her hair, the warmth…

Taeyong wasn’t sure what time it was, or how long he had laid in Kamella’s bed at this secret place only the two of them knew of. Even though he had ended their contract, he kept his promise to look out for the house.

There were no actual letters for him; instead, he had gotten a stack of postcards with no name or return address on them. Dutifully, he brought all the mail inside whenever he had the time, surprised to find glossy cards with pictures of popular landmarks in Denver, Stockholm, and Auckland, to name a few. Kamella’s passport probably had more stamps in it than his.

He rolled over to his back, covering his eyes with his fingertips. Where was Kamella now? When would she come back to Seoul? Was she doing ok?

Taeyong knew he couldn’t loiter in her house much longer. Soon enough, s or the company would start looking for him. He sat up to force himself out of bed, and just as his feet touched the floor, his phone began to vibrate on the nightstand.

Taeyong stared in confusion when Kamella’s name flashed across the screen. His heart thudded in his chest, and he swallowed anxiously before he finally picked up the phone. He didn’t dare speak first.

“Taeyong-ssi, Kammie-yah is on her way back to Seoul.” Came a masculine voice, and all his hopes shattered. It wasn’t Kamella on the line after all.

“Sung Joon-hyung? Why do you have Mella-yah’s phone?” Taeyong blurted out curiously.

Sung Joon scoffed, “That’s the only part you heard?”

“No, but for the rest… There’s nothing I can do. I ended our contract. I’m not her Ace anymore,” Taeyong confessed sadly. Sung Joon didn’t take the news well.

“I thought you were a coward, but I didn’t think you’d prove me right. How could you abandon her?! After all we did to convince her to get out?” Sung Joon barked, anger clear in his voice.

Taeyong actually flinched, because the truth stung. He had abandoned her, even if it was what she had wanted him to do in the first place. He took a seat at the edge of the bed, feeling a painful tightness in his chest.

“Since we can’t rely on you, I’ll do everything myself. In case you come back to your senses, her plane lands at 4 am.” Sung Joon announced, and without bothering to say goodbye, he hung up the phone.

Taeyong fell back against the bed and stared up at the ceiling. It wouldn’t do him any good to help them at the airport, not after what he had done to Kamella. She probably never wanted to see him again.

But he missed her. He had missed her every single day for two months. He had to stop himself from calling her or texting her, since he knew she couldn’t answer. Whenever he stopped by to check on her place, he hoped that she would be there, or even some traces of her presence, but instead, only an empty house greeted him.

Taeyong had convinced himself that it was a good thing she wasn’t there, because if they had actually met each other again, it would chip away at his resolve to pull away from her. Still, like a moth to a flame, he was the one making visits to her house whenever he had the time. He was the one cleaning her empty kitchen, and dusting off the unused furniture.

Taeyong’s phone began to ring once again, and this time Johnny’s name appeared on the screen.

“Taeyong-ah, are you coming back anytime soon? Everyone’s waiting for you.”

Taeyong inhaled slowly, shaking his head. He had to come back to his senses. There was nothing he could do for Kamella except live happily. She would want him to do that.

“You know, we’re all starting to wonder if you have a hidden family or something. Every time someone’s looking for you, you’ve disappeared to some hiding place.” Johnny mused, and Taeyong laughed.

“Wouldn’t a secret family be great?” He wondered out loud, in earnest, making Johnny chuckle.

“Don’t tell me you’re already thinking about being a parent? You only turned 24 today; there’s no reason to rush! Now hurry back, so we can have your birthday party!”

Taeyong finally climbed out of Kamella’s bed and hurried out of the house. He hailed a taxi and made his way to the SMTown Theater, where he found all 20 members of NCT waiting for him in the lobby.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEE TAEYONG!!” The members screamed in unison, while Jaehyun and Jisung appeared behind him with his birthday cake.

“Make a wish, Hyung!” Jisung told him cheerfully, and all the sound around Taeyong suddenly faded away as something just… clicked, in his mind.

Taeyong could hear Kamella’s voice, as if she had been standing right beside him. He could see the seductive smile as she asked him in a sultry voice, “Taeyong-ah, tell me: what’s your wish this time?”

Taeyong closed his eyes, clasping his fingers together, and answered her request silently. He opened his eyes, and blew out his birthday candles, cementing the decision in his heart. At 4 am, he would be at the airport with Sung Joon and the others.

 

He was going to help find Kamella.

 

End Chapter 16