Chapter 12

Black Diamond

Black Diamond

 

 

12. Chapter 12


“Tell me everything you know about the man that took Mella-yah.”

Sung Joon peeled out of the parking lot in a rush, tires squealing in response to his urgency. Taeyong leaned back in the passenger seat, doing his best to focus on Sung Joon’s answer to his inquiry and not his driving.

“I guess I’ll start from the beginning,” Sung Joon began somberly, his gaze focused on the road. “Six years ago, Kamella came to Seoul with Yeo Na and Olivia. The three of them met in college. Yeo Na convinced them both to drop out of school, come home with her, and help her with her Father’s business.”

“What's so bad about that?” Taeyong asked curiously.

“The man that took Kamella ... he is Yeo Na’s father.”

Taeyong gasped in surprise, but Sung Joon continued, “At the House of Cards, they call him The Dealer. He owns and manages the club. He used to be into some very bad, very illegal things before he got into the norebang business.”

The scenery around them passed by in a blur as Sung Joon recounted the past, but Taeyong was too focused on Kamella's history to see anything outside of the window.

“Dealer used to be the leader of a gang, and they weren’t above anything: selling drugs, trafficking, loan sharking -- anything you could think of, they’ve done it before. Yeo Na ran away from home to escape Dealer’s horrible lifestyle, but he convinced her to return because Yeo Na's mother died. Yeo Na’s mother was the one who came up with the concept of the House of Cards -- she thought it would be better than all of the other things Dealer was doing in the streets.”

“So Yeo Na-ssi and Yeo Na’s mother always knew what Dealer was up to?” Taeyong tried to imagine what life would be like for him if his parents had been criminals. He frowned at the thought.

“Of course. Yeo Na never told Kamella or Liv about what her family did for a living. She only told them that her Father’s business was suffering and that she needed their help. That was around the time my own Father struck a deal with Dealer, and that’s how I met the three of them.”

“...You mean, that’s when Mella-yah became your ‘teacher’,” Taeyong grumbled, and Sung Joon tightened his grip on the steering wheel in annoyance.

“She was much more than that to me, but yes. Dealer was desperate to make as much money as he could off of his new foreigners... Kamella and Liv went through a lot, and neither of them was ready for it.”

Taeyong didn’t want to think about what those words meant right now, so instead, he asked: “Even after all of that, Yeo Na-ssi followed her mother in death shortly after?”

“Yeo Na was killed by an abusive Ace. We all tried to help her stay away from the man, but her father refused to end the relationship, or even intervene. He wouldn’t help his own daughter no matter how much anyone begged him to, and Yeo Na loved him too much. She wasn't willing to leave either. It wasn’t until that Ace put his hands on Olivia, that the others got involved, but Dealer still took his side. His daughter was nothing more than a money making tool for him. Just like her mother had been,” Sung Joon ground out bitterly, and Taeyong nodded his head in solemn agreement.

“Poor Yeo Na-ssi.” Taeyong murmured.

“Since Yeo Na was the original Queen of Diamonds, Kamella was given the title after she passed away. It made her relationship with Dealer that much worse.”

“Worse how?”

“She used to be in love with him.” Sung Joon stated plainly, sparing a glance in Taeyong’s direction to gauge his response. “How would you feel if the person you loved tried to use you for money?”

He gave him an incredulous look, “In love? With Yeo Na’s father?!”

“Kamella is an orphan, who never had a father figure growing up. There were a lot of new, confusing things happening to her in those two years. She had moved to a new country, finally found a family, and became one of the most popular hostesses in the House, all while relying heavily on those around her to teach her our language. Kamella wasn’t always the woman she is now,” Sung Joon explained, his mind going back to those days when Kamella had been a much sweeter, more naive person.

He remembered when he found out about Kamella’s feelings for Dealer, and how destroyed he was by her confession. His reaction had been exactly like Taeyong’s, but Sung Joon had always hidden his broken heart from her.

“The more he used her, the more she realized that he’d never return her feelings. For Dealer, Kammie was his second-, no, third chance, at making more money than ever before. Kamella is even more of a novelty to clients than his English-speaking daughter was, which means the customers will pay a lot just to meet her. Dealer saw Kamella's potential, and he jumped on it. The man is so blinded by the money she brings in that he won't even call her by her real name.”

“This is getting… so complicated,” Taeyong shook his head, trying to wrap his mind around all of these new revelations.

“You sure you don’t want me to let you off somewhere?” Sung Joon cautioned, testing Taeyong’s resolve.

Taeyong frowned, “So you can try and steal my Mella-yah while my back is turned?” Sung Joon stopped at a stoplight, giving Taeyong time to give the older man a scathing look, “She and I are bound to each other. No matter what happens, I won’t abandon her.”

Sung Joon chuckled wryly -- Taeyong's words sounded exactly like something Kamella would say.

“If that’s the case, listen well. When we get to the House of Cards, Stay. In. The. Car.” Sung Joon floored the gas pedal once the light turned green, making the car pick up speed once again.

“How am I supposed to help if I’m staying behind?” Taeyong protested, but Sung Joon shook his head, effectively cutting him off.

“Bound together or not, Kammie doesn’t want you in there. I only follow her wishes, and no one else’s. Stay in the car and wait for us to come back out. Otherwise, I can’t promise any of us will be safe.” Sung Joon’s warning was loud and absolutely clear.

Taeyong crossed his arms testily but stayed silent for the rest of the ride.

With Kamella

Kamella realized she had been set up the moment they arrived to an ambush in Dealer’s spacious office. The King and Queen of Hearts, plus their annoying Jack, all glared fiercely at Kamella as she stepped through the glass door, accompanied by various looks from the other Kings and Queens that had gathered there.

To her surprise, Kamella’s eyes landed on the elusive King of Diamonds next, a man by the name of Moon Kwang Sik. Kwang Sik’s angular jaw was clenched in unchecked anger, and thankfully, it wasn’t directed at her.

The King of Diamond’s appearance was the embodiment of power and authority. He looked like he had come straight out of the military, or some secret organization, to engage with the rest of the world.

He had bone straight, jet black hair that reached his lower back, an angular jawline, an impressive muscular frame, and deep-set, gorgeous, hazel green eyes.

Kwang Sik was strict and intimidating, traits that should have made him unpopular, but for some reason, made all of his clients insanely loyal instead. He was a bit older than Kamella, around Sung Joon’s age, but his mature aura aged him just a bit. The title of “king” didn't suit him, nor did their profession. He should have been called “general” instead.

Kwang Sik and Kamella got along well as the leaders of the Diamond Suit because they stayed out of each other’s way. They both had a lot of respect for each other, and he hated when anyone tried to put her, or their underlings, in danger. The fact that he was actually present at this unplanned meeting told Kamella everything she needed to know.

“Kwang Sik-oppa,” Kamella called immediately, moving towards Kwang Sik, but Dealer tightened his hold on her wrist before she could move any closer to her counterpart.

“Everyone’s here already,” Dealer commented, pulling Kamella behind him forcefully towards his desk. He took a seat in his leather chair, forcing Kamella to stand directly beside him.

Kwang Sik narrowed his eyes dangerously, but he kept quiet… for now.

“Why did you call us all here, Dealer?” The soft and soothing voice of Eun, the Queen of Spades, called out from beside Kwang Sik. Eun was one of the first hostesses that Dealer had hired in the House of Cards, and was their oldest member, besides Dealer himself. She was in her late 30s but definitely didn’t look it. Everyone lovingly called her the “Silver Cougar” for her uncanny ability to rope in younger clients.

“Our Diamond has been up to no good, and we need to investigate it.”

Kamella rolled her eyes, scoffing at the accusation, “No good? What the hell are you talking about, Dealer?”

“I should have known something was wrong when you gave your Ace card away. You’re slipping in the rankings, and now, you barely come to work. You’ve also been lying about your whereabouts.” Even though Dealer was speaking to her, not once did he actually look in Kamella’s direction.

“Diamond-ah, I don’t have to tell you that there are repercussions for your behavior. You know better,” Dealer admonished, rubbing his temples in annoyance, “You know better, and yet, I have to call everyone home to help investigate all the you’ve done.”

“You keep saying that, but there’s not a single shred of evidence sitting on that table,” Kamella urged, tapping her nail on Dealer’s empty desk, “So tell me, what exactly am I supposed to know better? Most of the people in this room are never present, so why do I have to be here all the time?”

“Diamond-ssi, we all know you’re not coming to work because of your Ace!” Mi Na shouted, pointing at Kamella. “She’s in love with him, Oppa!”

“Be thankful that Dealer’s holding onto me, Mi Na-unnie,” Kamella murmured dangerously, her voice dropping to an angry, low pitch.

Eun laughed, “Dealer, we all know our Queen of Hearts will do anything to gain love. As our Diamond-ah has said, there’s no investigation without proof.”

“Of course, I have proof,” Dealer stated evenly, holding his hand out towards Mi Na. She came forward with a manilla envelope in hand, which she gleefully handed over to him. Kamella leaned closer, ready for a fight, but Dealer tugged at her wrist, pulling her back.

Using his free hand, he opened the envelope and poured out photo after photo of Kamella and Sung Joon together. Kamella’s eyes scanned every image, but once she realized there were no pictures of her and Taeyong, she could breathe again.

Still, Kamella was pissed, “You had someone follow me?! What the hell is this?”

“There’s your proof, Diamond-ssi,” Mi Na spat in a mocking tone.

Kamella laughed humorlessly, “You stupid .” Eun giggled behind her hand at Kamella’s exclamation, while the younger woman picked up a handful of the pictures and held them up, “The man in these photos is my Ace, you nitwit! All it proves is that I’ve been doing my damn job.”

Perfect silence met Kamella’s arrogant smirk before Kwang Sik erupted into a thunderous slow clap, “Congratulations, Queen of Hearts. We knew you were desperate, but this is a new low, even for you.”

Mi Na shrieked, immediately turning on her Jack, Ji Su, in frustration. She slapped the younger woman across the face, surprising everyone standing there, “You said she was sneaking around with another Ace! You lied to me!”

Ji Su’s eyes watered as she recoiled from the blow, covering her flaming cheek with her hand, “I-I did what you told me to!”

Kamella wrestled her wrist free from Dealer’s grip, frowning, “Are we done with this dramatic nonsense?”

“No, we’re not done.” Dealer replied, gritting his teeth. This was not going the way he planned. “Starting tomorrow, you’ll report here every night,” Dealer ordered, his honey brown orbs lighting in anger, ”You’re quitting your other job... and you’ll be moving in with me.”

Kamella whirled on Dealer, her anger finally exploding, “Are you insane?! You can’t force me to quit my job!”

“I can, and you will. And if not… Your Ace may not survive.”

“Are you sure you want to issue threats against me, Dealer?” A voice taunted from the door.

All eyes turned to Sung Joon as he stormed into the office, his hands clenched in fists. He quickly examined the room, glad he had convinced Taeyong to stay in the car. Kamella wouldn’t have wanted him anywhere near this gathering, especially with so many Kings and Queens in attendance.

Sung Joon nodded in greeting to Kwang Sik and Eun, acknowledging them as Kamella's longtime allies. He continued past the others, reaching for Kamella to pull her further away from Dealer, “I don’t think my Father would take that threat too kindly, do you?”

“Who the hell let you in here? Where are my guards?” Dealer looked around Sung Joon’s shoulder, wondering why his bodyguards let him through the door.

Sung Joon shrugged noncommittally, “Maybe they went to take a piss?” A jeering smile crossed Sung Joon’s features, anger clear in his eyes, and Kamella knew instantly that Sung Joon had either beat up the bodyguards or bribed them.

Sung Joon was definitely capable of both.

“Any threats you make against me are considered a direct attack on my Father.” He added, with an extra dose of intimidation.

“Wait… You-! You’re not her Ace!” Mi Na shouted from the sidelines, pointing at Sung Joon. She turned to Dealer in desperation, a silent plea in her eyes, “Dealer, that man isn’t her Ace! I’ve seen his card! He doesn’t have a black Ace!”

Kamella rolled her eyes, but inside, she was praying that Dealer didn’t call Sung Joon’s bluff, “Please. After you’ve questioned my loyalty, and were proven wrong, might I add; now you’re saying I have two Aces? How many losses are you going to take tonight?”

“Prove it!” Mi Na screamed, ignoring Kamella’s taunts. “Show everyone your Ace card, Liar.”

Sung Joon smirked, raking his time to pull his wallet from his pocket. He plucked out an Ace card, revealing the item to the entire room. On the face of the card was the black diamond ace. Mi Na shrieked again.

“That’s not the card you showed me! You’re both lying! Oppa, she’s lying, I swear!”

Kwang Sik had finally had enough, “Mi Ni-ssi, you’d do well to shut your mouth.”

Kamella’s heart dropped in her stomach -- if Sung Joon had her Ace card, then Taeyong had to be close by. She bit the inside of her cheek, forcing herself to control her expression. She couldn’t worry about Taeyong right now, not with the ticking time bomb in front of her.

“I’d like to propose a vote since the entire Court is present.” Kamella’s voice was unwavering, even though internally, she was trembling from head to toe. She wanted nothing more than to slap the taste out of Mi Na’s mouth, but she had a better way of getting even.

Kwang Sik smirked, “I warned you, didn’t I, Queen of Hearts? Now, you’ll see what diamonds do under pressure.” Kwang Sik nodded approvingly in Kamella’s direction, waiting for her to continue.

Dealer pushed out an annoyed breath. He hated all of the stupid rules his wife had come up with when they created the House of Cards. This rule was the worst of them all, “Go ahead.”

“The Queen of Hearts has publicly tarnished the virtues of the Diamond Suit, and falsely accused me of sins I didn’t commit. I propose to the Court that she be punished with a three-week suspension of all services for everyone in the Heart Suit.”

Sung Joon’s frown turned into a satisfied grin, and Eun burst into a fit of boisterous laughter, “I was expecting many other punishments to come to mind, but that? I wasn’t expecting that.”

“W-What?! You can’t do that!” Mi Na was a blubbering mess, but it was too late, Kamella was already set on revenge.

“Watch me,” Kamella declared, raising her hand, and turning her gaze to the others in the room, “All in favor?”

Every hand was in the air before Dealer could even call for a count. The only people whose hands remained at their side were those that worked under the Heart Suit.

The icing on the cake was when Sung Joon raised his hand proudly in the air, “If I remember the rules correctly, a black Ace’s vote counts as two.”

The Queen of Hearts watched in horror as the other members of the House of Cards basically signed her death warrant.

“If I don’t work for three weeks, I’ll drop too low in the rankings!” Mi Na whined, stomping her feet.

“And lose your title as Queen of Hearts,” Kamella’s eyes were burning with a vengeful fire, and she didn’t feel a shred of remorse. “Since neither your King nor your Jack can work either, NO ONE on your side can take your place, you pitiful piece of trash.” Kamella’s tone was haughty and righteous, “I told you not to mess with me, and you did it anyway. I’m not Yeo Na-unnie; I won’t put up with your toxic, childish behavior a second longer. Congratulations, Mi Na-ssi. You did this to yourself.”

“Dealer! Oppa, you can’t let her do this!” Mi Na was having a breakdown, falling pitifully to the floor in front of Dealer’s desk.

He heaved a sigh and waved his hand dismissively, “I can’t override the votes of the Court and a black Ace. You know the rules.”

“How dare you?! How dare all of you betray me like this!” Mi Na’s voice rang out in a high pitched squeal as she cried so hard that mascara started running down her cheeks.

Dealer came around his desk finally, kneeling on the floor next to Mi Na, “All of you out of my office!” He barked, and since they were finally dismissed, everyone hurried to escape the uncomfortable scene in front of them. “Except you, Diamond.”

Kamella stopped short, grasping Sung Joon’s sleeve. She was rooted to the spot, her grip tightening by the second.

“You have 24 hours to gather your things. If I have to come to look for you after that... someone will pay for it. Remember that.” Dealer warned lowly, and Kamella only nodded in response. Sung Joon wrapped his arm around her shoulder and together, they finally left the building under Dealer’s cutting gaze. Sung Joon continued to lead her away until they reached a parking garage a block away from the House of Cards, where they found his car… and Taeyong.

Taeyong had been so worried while he waited for Sung Joon and Kamella that he had climbed out of the car, standing and pacing endlessly to calm his nerves. He wanted to text the other NCT members, but he knew there was nothing he, or they, could do to help the situation. It felt like an eternity had passed before Sung Joon finally returned with Kamella.

Kamella’s eyes met Taeyong’s, and she stopped immediately in her tracks. Sung Joon stopped abruptly behind her, nearly crashing into her, and without any warning whatsoever, Kamella turned around, reached her hand back, and slapped Sung Joon.

Everything happened at once. Sung Joon didn’t move, stunned into silence, and Kamella raised her hand to slap him again. This time, Taeyong rushed over to them, reaching out and locking one arm around Kamella’s waist, taking a few steps back to put distance between Kamella and Sung Joon.

“I TOLD YOU NOT TO BRING HIM!” Kamella raged, and Sung Joon nodded, rubbing his stinging cheek. She tried to push against Taeyong's arms that were holding her back, but he was suprisingly strong for his build.

“Kammie-yah, listen to me-” Sung Joon tried to explain, but Kamella would have none of it.

“I told you not to bring him here, and you did it anyway! Do you know what you’ve done?! Do you know how damned both of you are?!” Kamella was crying now, big tears rolling down her cheeks in steady streams as she fought against Taeyong’s hold on her, “I told you this wouldn’t work. I told you that you couldn’t save me. Why didn’t you listen to me?!”

“Mella-yah,” Taeyong’s voice was calm and rational behind her, spoken directly into her ear, “Kamella... stop it.”

At the pleading tone in his voice, Kamella deflated it. All of this was too much. Kamella’s arms fell to her sides, and she stopped thrashing wildly in Taeyong’s arms. She continued to cry silently while Sung Joon closed the distance between the three of them, eyeing Kamella warily, lest she hit him again.

“Let’s get out of here before Dealer changes his mind.” Sung Joon suggested, and Taeyong nodded resolutely, helping Kamella into the backseat of Sung Joon’s car. When she didn’t move to buckle her seatbelt, Taeyong did that for her too.

Sung Joon started up the car and backed out of the parking space on auto-pilot. He honestly had no idea where he was taking them, but he knew they all needed to get as far away from the House of Cards as possible.

End Chapter 12