Leave or Stay

Orphan Meets Orphan

I saw the lights again, lots of them like I’m passing all of them at once. Am I in heaven?

Strange, I’m a notorious person with no goodness inside. Maybe a little if you looked really closely. But heaven is a longshot really.
 

I tried blinking to make my vision clearer. I rubbed my eyes. I almost laughed at my own delusion.

I’m on a moving vehicle, traversing the main roads of Seoul.

Wait? What happened?

 

*closes eyes*

 

*flashback of fainting in the dark alley*

“Oh right” I spoke in my mind.

I observed the figure on the driver’s seat, she must be the girl who almost hit me.

She’s looking back and forth, it seems like she doesn’t know where to go.

A sharp pain hits my head again, this time stronger.

I drew all my strength and managed to tap the nameless driver.

“Wonderland” I spoke with all my might as I felt my body succumb to darkness once more.

I was driving, a few more blocks until Wonderland. I really can’t believe I’m going there.

If only she was conscious, it would not be this confusing and also less embarrassing on my part.

 

Wonderland is a famous motel in the outskirts of the city. Obviously I don’t wanna check in there with an unconscious companion, that would seem like very suspicious (and lowly) thing to do. But since that was the only word she was able to say, I have no choice but go there.

I am highkey hoping that this was the Wonderland she was talking about. What if there are other places named Wonderland? What will she think of me when she wakes up?

I had thought of all the possible ways Mimi might react if I brought her to the wrong place.

But since that we are here, I pushed all those thoughts aside.

I peeked at her sleeping figure for a few seconds as I parked in front of the motel.

“Well, you said Wonderland. Here we are. What now Mimi?”

I brushed her short but beautiful dark hair and went out to carry her inside.

 

 

“Hello good evening, room for 2 please”

I greeted the receptionist who was staring worriedly at Mimi.

Well she can be mistaken asleep but the lady at the reception looked like a worried mother who already knows her child is unconscious

 

“What happened to Mimi?” she asked

 

“Uhm I’m sorry, you know her? She just fainted in the street and I happen to be there” I replied, leaving the part how I almost hit her. I’ll reserve that story for later, for now Mimi needs to have her rest.

 

“Yes, she lives here. These are her keys” handing me a small bunch of keys with an arrow keyholder. “You can take her up and let her drink this and hot compress her head. I’ll bring this while you carry her” she added.

 

I was amazed of how thoughtful this receptionist is and that she has medicine ready for Mimi like this always happened and I’m not the only one who took her home like this.

 

I entered the dark room and laid her on the sofa. It looks like this motel is top class. They have huge interiors, noticing the path leading to the bathroom and on the other side is a king-sized bed with neon-decorated walls. Heol it also had a TV and a computer set. What a nice motel I thought.

“Here are her meds, please make her drink all of them and do the compress after”

I just nodded and she left.

 

My eyes roamed around the room. How come Mimi lives in a motel? And is every room like this? I mean, is she a.. ??

Oh no, I don’t wanna think about that right now.

But is she? Oh, it would make sense but…

*Huff*

 

I honestly felt a bit disappointed. I don’t know why, but I don’t wanna accept if that really is Mimi’s life.

I opened and inserted the 2 tablets she was supposed to drink to get better


I didn’t mean to stare at and her tongue but I did. Too long as a matter of fact.

 

“Ok Haebin, water. She needs to drink her meds now” my mind suddenly spoke for me, reminding not to stare anymore.

 

I poured the water onto and fortunately she drank it like it was her reflex or something.

 

I pressed the hot compress on her head and dipped it again in the bowl with hot water and Lilies(?)

It smelled so nice that even if I was unconscious I would wake up at the smell.

 

I wiped her neck area with the cloth when I suddenly felt her hand holding mine.

 

“It’s too hot” she said with her hush voice. Looking so soft and subtle in this dimly lit motel room at around 2 in the morning.

“Im sorry Mimi, does it still hurt?”

I’m too focused, just looking at her not noticing that my hands already made its way to her face.

“How do you know my name? And no, It doesn’t hurt anymore” she smiled weakly and leaned onto my hands.

Did she really? Something inside of me exploded when she did, she looked pretty tough back then but now, just pretty and frail.

I smiled back. Knowing that it could make her feel more at ease.

“Hello, beautiful stranger, I asked you how did you know my name”

 

She sounded like she was teasing and this time her smile was more lively

 

“I met some people and I just learned your name from them” I lied, well yes I’ve ‘met’ them right?

 

I intend to tell her detail by detail later on, after she has fully recovered.

 

“People? Who? Though I’m too famous in that neighbourhood so I think everybody from there would notice me, nevermind”


There she was again, back to normal. Atleast she’s not rude, yet.

 

“Anyway thank you for helping me?” extending her hand

 

“Haebin. Han Haebin.”

 

“Jung Mimi” she smiled “welcome to Wonderland, may I interest you in staying the night here in my room for free? For helping me of course. I still remember oh so clearly that you almost killed me a few moments back” smiling like a dork

 

She looks so cute. I think I’m starting to slightly have a crush on Mimi. I am genuinely happy that I didn’t leave her on that dark alley. Because I seriously did think of leaving her there. Thank heavens I didn’t.

 

“Is it ok to stay here?” It came out that way but all I wanted to ask was if anyone was gonna be here in the morning and kick me out for sleeping with her girlfriend or ‘friend’ whichever is applicable.

 

“Of course, yeah, I offered you my room, but don’t roam around much. You might see frightening things” she laughed again and I saw her eyes twinkle.

 

I’m seeing things now, I need to rest, I had a long day too.

 

“Ok, thanks Mimi. Where do I sleep?” I searched the room for another bed, or an extra mattress. I had bad experiences with couches so that’s a no no for me.

“In the bed” pointing at the bed on left side

 

She’s so sweet, offering her bed to me. Though I can’t let that happen since she’s not feeling well.

 

“And where will you sleep?”

 

“Also in the bed. Are you uncomfortable with the idea of sleeping with me?” she looks curious

 

Well it would be ok if we only sleep TOGETHER and not SLEEP TOGETHER. But knowing that we are in a motel and I’m sharing the bed with a complete beautiful and carefree stranger slightly gives me chills, surprisingly a good one.

 

“I think I’m ok” I smiled at her. I don’t know how I looked or if it was convincing. Anyway, she got up and rummaged through her closet.

 

“Here, try my clothes on, you shouldn’t sleep with that on” eyeing me from top to bottom

 

“Ok, I’ll just change”

 

I tried her clothes on inside the bathroom. I slipped myself in her pajamas and shirt. The shirt smelled like lilies too, I bet she likes them, loves them even.

 

It took me 5 minutes to get used to the idea of wearing another person’s clothes.

 

But I was still bothered because it smelled so nice. I wanted to know if Mimi smelled this nice too. Like beautiful lilies in spring.

 

Maybe I should find out later right?

 

I went out and saw Mimi already changed into her sleeping clothes and was ready to get to bed, but holding an ipad.

 

I stood there not knowing what to do, if I should join her in bed now or casually pretend to do some stuff with my phone in the sofa.

 

“Are you shy Haebin?” why does she sound like she’s always trying to tease me. I mean I wouldn’t want to be obvious but she’s really getting ahead of me. She knows how I think and is not ashamed to speak it out loud. This girl is something else.

 

I scratched my head “uhm.. no im not, I just don’t want to crowd your bed right now, besides I’m not sleepy yet. I slept before we came across each other” which was true so she couldn’t object

 

She lifted her ipad, covering her face. I can hear she’s watching some videos about gameplays and a whole lot of other stuff while I fiddle my phone, not knowing who to talk to, what to send, or even what to search in goddamn bloody youtube.

 

I ended up searching about Jung Mimi. As I hit search, a bunch of results came out. All I saw was @ArrowHeadMeme user in sns and all other game platforms. She was very famous in the gaming community.

 

I wanted to read more about her but those gaming terminologies make me dizzy.

 

But one result caught my attention.

 

‘WONDERLAND MOTEL JUNG MIMI’

 

I hurriedly closed my phone and Mimi looked at me like she wanted to ask what happened

 

“It’s nothing. I think I will go home Mimi, something urgent came up” I lied again. I was too afraid of what I read a few seconds ago.

 

“Oh” she looks off. “Take care then Haebin” she smiled but it didn’t reach her eyes.

 

“Are you ok if I leave you here alone? Would you be ok?” I asked. I was feeling guilty since I didn’t ask her and just decided to leave that soon.

 

“Yes, I will be. Aunt Hana will be visiting me from time to time if she sees you leave”

So the receptionist was Hana. Im glad that she will visit Mimi, but I also wanted to be there for her while she rests. I feel quite responsible.

 

I wanted to leave but I wanted to stay.

 

The next thing Mimi did made me decide on the latter.

 

She closed her ipad and let the bed swallow her tiny body, covering herself with pillows.

 

That made my heart ache and I decided to close the door which I already held open when I said I wanted to leave.

 

I approached her bed in the direction she was lying opposite to. I slowly laid on it lying as still as possible waiting for her to notice that I didn’t leave.

I waited for minutes. Maybe she fell asleep?

 

Did she really think I left? Was it because I closed the door?

 

I faced her back and wanted to reach out.

 

“Mimi” I said, slightly audible to us both. She didn’t move

 

“Mimi” I said again. No response

 

“Mimi I’m here. I didn’t leave” Nothing.

 

I got frustrated, I wanted to let her sleep at peace, not thinking that the person she offered to stay with her left because something urgent came up.

 

I don’t want to make her feel like she’s less than urgent, less than something that made me go.

 

“Here goes my last try” I mumbled

 

I scooted near her, removed the pillows and hugged her from the back. I held her hard.

 

“I heard you when you called me” she said in a serious tone

 

She heard me, but she didn’t move. What was she trying to say? She’s mad?

 

“Why didn’t you face me when I called you Mimi? I did it 3 times” I told her using a little aegyo

 

“Don’t try to act cute. You wanted to leave, I make you feel uncomfortable but why are you backhugging me?” she spoke quite emotionless

 

I cannot answer. But it wasn’t entirely true, I wanted to stay too.

 

“I wanted to go, but I also wanted to stay. You make me wanna do both Mimi” this time I told the truth

 

“Why did you want to leave?”

 

“Well, I don’t know you and..”

 

“and?” slightly raising her tone

 

“and I’ve read some scary stuff. It’s kinda hard to process”

 

“Oh. That stuff” she sounded like she already knows what I was talking about

 

“It’s not true though. Some people who have a grudge on me made that up and everyone decided to believe and not ask me personally, just like you”

 

“I didn’t mean to judge. Maybe that’s a downside to being human. We believe things we hear from others that we fail to ask the party involved if it’s really true. I’m sorry Mimi”

 

I truly was. I judged her far too many times in my head in a single night. How much more those people who get to see her from time to time? I couldn’t help but feel pity.

 

“it’s ok Haebin, atleast you didn’t leave” she faced me with starry eyes and cloudy thoughts

 

“I’m here, even just for tonight, I’m here”

 

I brushed her face lightly. Stared into her eyes.

 

I was stiff again. I thought this night was nearly over.

 

She kissed me.

 

Well, just the beginning. A series of kisses came my way.