Wonderland

Orphan Meets Orphan

‘What do I do? Why are they here? Why now?’

These questions kept running in my mind as I walked the longest seconds of my life towards the living room as I was staring at these 2 decently-dressed middle aged men with joker smiles plastered on their faces. Rude people, this is not a place to be happy or at least for a little while from now.

I kept blinking and I just stared at my mom to calm myself down.

*deep breaths*

“Haebin dear, these gentlemen would like to talk to you about what your father has left you. I’ll let you discuss first and trust that you are in good hands” my mom said while smiling almost comically. I wonder why she’s so happy about this when she should be angry dad left whatever it is with me, and not her.

“Lawyer Choi, Lawyer Kim I’ll leave you to it then” She walked towards the garden joining the other visitors we had for the night.

“We have consolidated everything and we have now determined the totality of your inheritance Ms. Han.” I was brought back to the reality by hearing this man’s voice who now identifies himself as Lawyer Choi. It’s just strange because why are they being so pretentious, they sound convincing enough that they don’t sound like they are threatening me.

“Ah yes. But get to the point” Actually I didn’t expect that these 2 men were lawyers than just mere scammers. I never believed when they said they were my dad’s lawyers and now I know I’m up against a very hard wall.

“Haebin, we want you to sign a couple of documents. These documents will transfer the ownership of everything to you.” Lawyer Kim said

“And what do you want from me after that?” I spat because I already know they want something.

“We’ll settle other things on our own, but expect that not everything will be transferred to you, we already left out other properties from your future declaration of ownership. Some documents are here to be signed as your waiver for the other properties that will eventually become ours. Sounds about right?” Lawyer Kim added

“Are you sure you don’t wanna take everything I have left?” I mocked them

“There’s no need for that, and besides it will be too obvious. But remember, we still hold your secret so don’t be too lax and forget that we might ask for more in the future. But this is enough for now” He then handed me some documents I needed to sign.

 

I signed without protest. I couldn’t complain, I wouldn’t. I’d rather settle having some of my rights being waived but being with my mom peacefully than becoming rich but far and maybe hated by her.

They shook my hands after I signed everything and went on their way to the veranda.

I haven’t really said much about myself but yes, I am Han Haebin, an only child, or so I thought. I was the daughter of the owner and ceo of Han Industries, a global manufacturing group based in Seoul. Was, because he is already dead. He didn’t just die, he was murdered and the 2 gentlemen who went to visit his wake just now were the ones responsible for it.

How can I turn a blind eye you might ask?

It’s because I’ll lose the other person I love. I don’t wanna lose mom, she’s all I have left like literally.

“Haebin dear, why are you crying?” I heard a familiar voice

“Mom it’s nothing, can I please be alone for now?” I pleaded as I wiped my tears not looking at her

“Ok” was all I heard

And that was my cue to leave and spend some time with myself. I decided to head out with my car to god knows where when suddenly -------THUD!

I can hear the car tires screeching and my car horn roaring with the seatbelt tightening on my chest as I almost hit a girl walking on a dark alley. Luckily for her I just hit a dumpster. Sadly for me, I put a dent on my new car. sigh

“WHAAT THEEE INGG IS WRONG WITH YOU !?” A girl from the street yelled at me as I almost hit her while I was too lost in tears while driving.

I breathed slowly and calmed myself down, processed the incident and released my hands from the car horn which apparently still honked if I hadn’t.

“Hello? Are you the one who almost got hit that you can’t speak?” The girl on the street spoke again

“I’m really sorry miss, I didn’t see you there” I replied after zoning out

“You didn’t see me? What are you blind? Are you trying to kill me with your fancy car?” She was barking at me because of rage

I’m still in my car and I looked at her snarling face. The headlights shone on her beautiful but angry face and I slowly walked out to try to calm her down.

“Look miss, I really didn’t see you, but with the headlights working as a spotlight for your beautiful face I could curse myself why I haven’t noticed you walking there too”

I held my mouth as I was also shocked by my words.

Did I just hit on her?

Wow Han Haebin, you are pretty slick, you didn’t hit her so now you’re hitting on her?

Here I am again with the talking to myself .

“Complimenting me won’t do you good. I’m too used to that and you are wasting my time” nonchalance evident from her tone.

“Ok? What can I do then? Is my apology accepted?” I asked hoping it was because I really needed this night to work out for me.

“Well, actually…”

She actually looked like she was thinking about something that she’d make me do but she held her head and fell straight down instead.

She fainted.

I started making my way to the bar still fiddling the money in my pocket. I was thinking about Sojin who was very suggestive a while ago.

“You can wait after I feed my abs Sojin, you can wait” I said to myself

I was enjoying another set of thoughts that popped up in my mind. They were of what food I was going to eat now that I have money and am very hungry.

I took the shortcut in an alley which was a few meters from the bar when suddenly ----BEEEEEEEEP!

I was startled and maybe I even freaked out as I was shaking and staring at the car in front of me which looked like it almost run me over.

“WHAAT THEEE INGG IS WRONG WITH YOU !?” I can’t control the words that came out of my mouth out of shock

I was annoyed because the horn was pressed like how dads do it on new years. Noise pollution at its finest hooray? Damn! I don’t know if it’s hunger or because It was a near-miss event that my insides are boiling up.

“Hello? Are you the one who almost got hit that you can’t speak?” I talked again checking if the driver is still there

I can’t see the figure inside the car but I can say that it is a she, and it looks like she’s alone. Well you lady, you spent my remaining energy by making me scream and panic for a little while.

 

“I’m really sorry miss, I didn’t see you there” She replied like she just got back from outerspace, looking lost and cold

“You didn’t see me? What are you blind? Are you trying to kill me with your fancy car?” I replied forcefully to let her know that it was her fault.

She didn’t even budge at my reply, she was just staring at me rather eerily. What a weird girl, it really looks like she’s the one in trauma.

“Look miss, I really didn’t see you, but with the headlights working as a spotlight for your beautiful face I could curse myself why I haven’t noticed you walking there too” she talked while getting out of her car with a dorky face

Is she trying to be cute? She held her hands to her lips like she’s not expecting those words to come out. Haha, weird person. I’m not gonna be shocked if she’s tryna hit on me, with this face really who wouldn’t.

“Complimenting me won’t do you good. I’m too used to that and you are wasting my time”

I made it sound like I didn’t care

She looked a bit disappointed which hinted that she doen’t compliment people or act cute that much, I’m not sure what she was trying to convey.

I was starting to observe her, she looks debonair but innocent enough. I could only cheer in my head.

“Ok? What can I do then? Is my apology accepted?” she asked eagerly like she wants to get out of this mess that quickly

I was thinking maybe she could give me a lift and buy me food and free drinks at the bar, compensate me financially to buy meds for my non-existent post-event stress and trauma and maybe talking her up to end up in a motel with me. Endless possibilities entered my juiceless mind.

“Well, actually…” was all that I could say when I felt my head getting heavier with sharp surges of pain and all I can see were blinding lights twirling around like we were riding a tornado.

THUD.

I fell to the ground.

“Oh no no no!” I screamed as I reached for the girl in front of me who’s now lying on the cold pavement in this dark alley with only my slightly damaged car headlights on.

“Wake up, wake up” I shaked here and kept tapping her face in case her senses wakes her up

Geez, what a beautiful night to contemplate on whether to leave this stranger behind and continue with my alone time or take her to a hospital and see her recover.

I thought of saving this stranger but something tells me to continue my alone time.

I walked back to my car, checking the dent

“tsk tsk, look at that lady. You owe me that”

I put my seatbelt on and ready myself to leave when suddenly a group of people guessing from the noises getting clearer, were walking towards our direction.

I decided to turn the car off and wait for them pass. I’m afraid they might mess with my car if they pass by me or if I pass by them because it’s the only way I could go right now.

A group of 6 or 7 fierce-looking girls were visible from my point with only little light from overhead lights from tall buildings around.

“wah! Isn’t this Mimi?” I heard one girl said

“Yes, it’s her. From the looks of it, she either collapsed while walking or she was hit and run.”

“There’s no blood Sojin unnie” the shorter girl contradicted

“There could be internal bleeding Mina. We could just bring her to our hideout. Treat her, let her heal and after that we can maybe get some?”

  1. tall girl laughed and I couldn’t swallow her thinking of other things while that girl is unconscious. I’m not even sure she’s breathing, and it suddenly hit me now.

I was about to open my door and get the girl whom they addressed as Mimi but I heard them say

“We can’t take her to a hospital right?” The girl who I assume was Mina said

“Yes yes Mina, she apparently is banned by the hospitals around here in Seoul. Take her, let’s go home.” I heard this girl Sojin order her companions.

I don’t know what happened but I suddenly revved my engine and turned the headlights on, startling the gang in front of me.

“Leave her alone! She’s coming with me. Run or you’re gonna end up in jail” I mustered up courage to speak loudly and authoritatively as I did.

“Run guys run! It’s the police!” I heard some of them said as they scattered in the dark like lightning.

Thank god they went away.

I walked closer to the lying body and swept her hair away from her face.

She’s so beautiful. She’s so calm. But she’s also Cold.

I raced back to my car while carrying her in my arms and wrapped her with my extra jackets as I laid her softly on the backseat.

I drove. I don’t know where to, but we’ve gotta go somewhere she can be taken care of.

Surprisingly, as we were near the converging point of almost all major roads in Seoul, a hand made it’s way to my back.

“Wonderland” I heard the girl at the back whispered ever so softly

I paused a while and thought.

I drove again.

Ok. Wonderland it is.