| ONE |

My Puppy Prince

 

In busy streets of Seoul, there's a girl who just started her second year of college.
She doesn't know how to smile, let alone converse with someone.
The girl is always alone, whether it was at school, or at home...

This is the start of how the girl meets a dog.
A completely strange story.

 

 

Outside, the rain is pouring heavily.

As the skies cry, Areum was walking home from school, carrying a navy umbrella garnered with white polka dots, when she comes across a small dog, collarless and drenched, the then white fur turned the dog ash brown as the mud mingled with its fur from the rain.

Without hesitation or a question, she places her umbrella down by the dog, shielding it from the rain and leaves without a second thought.

 

 

Thunder begins to roar as Areum stares up at the sky, ‘It looks like it’ll rain today...umbrella..where was it again.. ah ..that’s right. I gave it to that dog a while back..'

“hmm if I run.. Well, whatever”

She stars to run without noticing a puddle coming ahead and slips, “wha..”

And before she could hit the ground a male had caught her with ease.

Now In his arms he looks at the girl, “are you hurt Areum?”

Areum looks at the male, emotionless on the outside but her mind was asking a million questions, ‘Why does he know my name?! Who?..I don’t even know a flashy guy like this...’

They moved to a sheltered shop, “Ah thank you..uhh I’m sorry”

“No worries! Compared to you saving me the other day, this is nothing..,” he says with a heart pounding smile.

Areum furrows her brows with a confused look,“Uh..what do you mean? I helped you?”

He kneels in front of her, staring at her with sincerity and that same dimpled smile that never left his face, “My name is Jaehyun. You lent me your umbrella on a rainy day..I’ve come to return the favor”

Areum still stares at him silently, ‘lent him my umbrella on a rainy day..? What?.. IT CAN’T BE... THAT THE DOG FROM THAT TIME!!!?..what is this?..some shoujo manga?..'

Areum was a girl who isn’t capable of showing what she’s really thinking, so from the outside it looked as if she was staring at him blankly, ‘a return favour from a dog?!..what kind of situation is this?.. but..I can see the ears and a wagging tail.’

A sudden breeze passes by and Jaehyun elegantly stands, one arm across his torso as if he was a prince bowing, “Areum.When you are alone and want to talk to someone..please come here anytime you wish,” he let out an easy going smile while looking directly into her eyes,"because I’ll always be here.”


 

‘When I’m lonely and want to talk to someone..?'

She enters the enormously silent home, “I’m back”

Turning on the lights she closes the door behind her, taking off her slip ons by the entrance and heading to her room upstairs to place her bag down before going back to the kitchen.

The only noise was the microwave heating her instant meal.

-beep-

Areum sits at the empty dining table in the dimly lit room with her meal in front of her.

The house was an average house. Four bedrooms, an open and spacious kitchen connected to a dining room and a living room. The furnishings were simple, but it looked as if nobody really lived there, there were only one or two photos of Areum with her parents, that was the extent of 'decoration' her mother attempted.

In front of her was her usual meal, an instant meal that she got from the corner market, Areum was used to eating alone. She couldn't really complain, her parents were working and enjoying their jobs while supporting her studies. Growing up she was always alone. Her parents occasionally came home, they'd usually call if they were in the vicinity but it's been a while since she heard from them.

Meal in front of her she picks up her chopsticks, ‘why did that person..’

As she starts to take a bite, “I can’t taste anything..”

‘say something like that…'

 

Morning arrives as another day starts.

“I actually came but..is that okay?"

Areum was in front of a gated house, more luxurious than her own. It looked as if it came out of a fairytale as various flower bushes garned the house.

Jaehyun opened the door with another his signature dimpled smile, “of course. I’m happy I can return the favor.”

‘This is?’

“Excuse me for intruding”

She looks at him with a blank look.

“Then let’s get straight to it..shall we have dinner together?” he asks with an eye smile this time.

‘It’s just that..Jaehyun’s smile is’ as she looks at him smile she couldn’t help but think that his smile was, ‘very gentle..'

With ease, Jaehyun starts cooking dinner, stirring the wok as if he was a professional.

In an instant he was able to make two elegant dishes and placed them in front of her, “let’s eat up”

As he sits down in front of her, she looked at him, his face never failed to have that smile of his, “please eat up.”

‘He looks like a prince but his cooking skills are at a professional level...'

“Ah..thank you for the meal.”

She picks up her fork and picks up a forkful of food, the moment it hits there are tears unconsciously welled up, “it’s really...good..”

'Why are there tears..'

Jaehyun looks at her face with concern as the tears fall down her face slowly.

She blinks the tears away and wipes them with her free hand, “sorry..it’s been a while since someone cooked such a warm dinner..it’s been a long while..my family..my parents hardly come back home..”

After wiping her tears she stares at the dinner in front of her, “they say they’re busy with work, but they’re just avoiding each other because they actually don’t get along at all..and seeing them like that I’ve been unable to smile.”

Her face, was now void of any emotions, “when I’ve noticed...even at school..I’m emotionless and dark, I don’t even have friends..”

She stares at Jaehyun with another blank look, ‘why did I tell these things to this person?….why?’

With ease Jaehyun places a finger on her lips, with a sincere smile that almost seemed sad, “It’s okay. I’m here. We can always eat together. Let’s talk about all kinds of things as well.”

‘Ah..I see.This person’s smile makes me feel at ease.’

“Okay?”

As he smiles he hands her a key.

‘Uh..this..this key?’

“From now on, I’ll be able to say ‘welcome back to you”

Sitting across from Ran, Jaehyun just sends her a comforting smile.

‘I thought I’ve gotten used to being alone, but..I see.. I was actually this lonely.’

“Thank you Jaehyun”

And in that moment, a smile graced Areum’s face.

‘When I’m with Jaehyun, my frozen heart seems to slowly melt..
.
.
.

I’m going to be changing little by little…’