FAQ

Wake Up

Hello. It's me again. 

I hope you enjoyed yourselves. I was going insane writing this thing and you could probably tell why. 

Anyway, I wanted to take a moment to answer some lingering questions you may have. I know I should let the art speak for itself but I think you will agree that this one is a special case. If you have a question that I don't answer here, leave a comment below and I will try to get to them as soon as possible. 

Alright. Here we go!


  • Where did you even get the idea for this story?

Okay, I'm not going to lie. I'm not even 100% sure I can answer that properly. But I will try. Like most of the work I've been posting here, this was based on a story I wrote back in college. (Yes, I'm old enough to say 'back in college') At the time, I was tasked with writing a story completely centered around plot and the progression of characters. I legitimately didn't understand the assignment so I was kinda scrambling late one night to try and figure out what to do. So I started with one of the most famous literary concepts still used today that directly connects this point, "The Hero's Journey." (Wikipedia) This narrative structure has been used in everything, even video games, where I first learned about it when researching narrtive design from the game "Journey'". Of course, games are different than books. Especially narratively. This was concept was analyzed in the game called "The Stanley Parable". That game pretty much inspired the first version of this story. From the 2nd person prose to the diction to the unreliable narrator. The problem, however, is that the game was disecting narrative structure in video games. Not written stories. So, I had to reverse engineer the game into a story... And thus we have this insane story. The YeJu version that you have just read was sparked after reading one of seofanyluv's YeJu stories and the story kind of just clicked.

  • What was up with Yerin's character anyway?

Well, for one she was dead so... there was that fact. It doesn't really matter how she died in the story. You can imagine however you want. But what did matter was she was gone and Yuju missed her dearly. And that can really do a number on a person's psyche. As for the narrative mode, I liked the idea of Yerin's character always watching over Yuju and thinking of her. The original concept of the narrator was also just a character. Unlike most 2nd person stories, the narrator had a personality and character growth. It was something I wanted to highlight here as well.

  • What did it all mean?

At the end of the day, this is a story about grief. On both sides of death. On one side, you have Yuju, trying to move on with her life but she keeps going back to the same routine over and over again just like when Yerin was alive. Yuju was trying to capture those feelings again but in reality, it was tearing her apart. On the other side, you have Yerin who watches over Yuju from a fare. This story was the only way she could help Yuju out and, even though it hurt Yerin, she wanted to help Yuju to be happy in the end. 

  • Why is it titled "Wake Up"?

It was just the temporary title I just gave the story so I could save it on google drive. However, the more I wrote, the more I liked the idea of the title being the last line in the story. 

  • What's with those huge gaps between some of the paragraphs?

As I've stated before, books and such differ from video games because you, the reader, do not have the ability to choose your path. All you can choose was forward. So, I played with this idea that the reader could just spead on through the story and scroll passed the narrator, leaving them behind. It was also a kind of narrative tool to highlight just how freaked out Yuju was of the situation. So freaked out that she tried to run away from the narrative. Also, I liked how it broke the 4th wall there and made you, the reader, feel like Yuju in the moment. 


Welp, that was all the questions I could come up with. But hey! Leave a comment below and I'll be sure to try and answer them as quickly as possible. 

Hope you had fun~!

Good memories and Nightmares.