Chapter 5

Trapped In You

It was a rainy Saturday evening when Kyungsoo walked home from work. The coffee shop had been very busy and he had no choice but to stay in late.

“You can leave now Kyungsoo, you been here since 8.” Minseok had told him as he laid against the counter. Luckily, when Kyungsoo clocked out at 6:04, the crowd had died down and he didn’t feel bad leaving Minseok with the night shift. This week was finals week for Minseok and he decided to take his online final today, despite the deadline for it being tomorrow at midnight. Because of this, he missed the day shift and had to take the night shift with everyone else. Kyungsoo knew that Minseok did well, he had spent the whole week studying for it and spent the day doing nothing but the final. Minseok’s graduation wasn’t until two weeks, but Kyungsoo was still excited. They could finally focus on solely their café and the supplies they would be bringing in after they paid off the space halfway.

Kyungsoo briskly walked towards his apartment, umbrella beginning to blow away as the wind howled. He held it tightly and stood his ground until the wind calmed down a little bit, but to no avail. He didn’t like running in the rain, but he had no other choice. He had on sneakers with jeans and a hoodie, he was freezing and had to get home fast. He splashed through puddles and got some water in his eyes as he ran, he stumbled twice, but continued to run. Once he got to the stairs of his apartment, he ran up those too. The only thing on his mind as of right now was to get home as soon as possible.

He walked towards his home, trembling, he didn’t realize how wet he had gotten until now. He would definetly take a warm bath once he got out of his clothes. He was walking towards his apartment, when he saw a small ball huddled up by the apartment next to his. He hadn’t worn his glasses, so he couldn’t see exactly what it was, but from what he saw, it was a black pile of clothes. He got closer and he realized, it wasn’t just a pile of dark clothes. He heard sobbing and began to quicken his pace towards it, he got near enough and finally saw what it was: Baekhyun. His head was buried in his arms as his shoulders trembled. He had his knees pressed against himself as he tried to control the sobs escaping his lips.

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened and he dropped his umbrella as he ran and kneeled next to him. “Baekhyun?” He reached out and placed his hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder, but got pushed away by the elder. Kyungsoo was astonished by how defensive Baekhyun had gotten, but he couldn’t blame him, he had no right to simply put his hands on him. Baekhyun looked in horrible shape. His hair was drenched and so were his clothes. He was shivering and Kyungsoo noticed the slight purple on the elder’s lips.

Once Baekhyun saw who was next to him he tried to put a smile on his face. His lip was still quivering as he tried to lift the corner of his lips up, but to no avail.

“Hey.” Baekhyun managed to say.

“Are you okay?” Kyungsoo knew it was a dumb question, of course he wasn’t. But he didn’t know what else to say, he needed to choose his words carefully.

“I…I’m fine.” Baekhyun said as he stood up, Kyungsoo quickly stood up with him. He eyed him from head to toe, he seemed fine physically. It didn’t seem like he was hurt.

“It’s raining and cold, go inside.” Kyungsoo told him as he began to take off his jacket.

Baekhyun’s eyes widened and he shook his hands in denial, “Kyungsoo don’t, I don’t need it.”

Kyungsoo placed the jacket around Baekhyun, “You need to get out of those wet clothes. Open the door.”

Baekhyun looked at the door handle then down at the ground. “I…cant.”

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow.

Baekhyun quickly looked up at him, eyes watery, but smile on his face. “I forgot to bring the key with me. I’m…” his voice cracked and he swallowed to prevent the tears from falling.

Kyungsoo instinctively placed his hand up on Baekhyun’s cheek, his thumb rubbed just below his eye. His face was very cold, “Hey, it’s okay. That’s not a reason to be sad, it happens to everyone. Just call Jongdae so he can open the door for you.”

Baekhyun shut his eyes as he let out a soft chuckle. “Jongdae is in Japan for work. He’s not coming back until tomorrow.”

Kyungsoo’s eyebrows furrowed as he thought. He couldn’t leave Baekhyun out here, judging by the way he’s reacting, he has nowhere to go. “Don’t worry, you can stay with me.” Once the words were out, Kyungsoo felt his heart race. He couldn’t let a silly crush get in the way, this was simply helping a friend out when they needed it. This had nothing to do his own wants.  

Baekhyun mouth twisted to the side, “I don’t want to be a burden.”

Kyungsoo smiled, “You’re not. It’s just one night and Minseok wouldn’t mind either.”

“Are you sure?” Baekhyun was still trembling and he looked as though he had just endured a blizzard.

“Yes, I’m positive.”

Baekhyun’s mouth began to turn upwards into a genuine smile, it reached his eyes and they practically shined. “Thank you.”

Kyungsoo smiled back at him as he walked to his front door, “You been in my house before right?”

Baekhyun nodded, “Yeah, we cooked together, remember?”

Kyungsoo chuckled as he opened the front door, “Yeah, you almost burned yourself, but it was okay.”

Baekhyun walked in after Kyungsoo, “We learn from mistakes.”

Kyungsoo locked the door behind him and turned to face Baekhyun. He was worried about him and he wanted to know what happened to make look so miserable, but he also knew that rushing him wasn’t going to do anything. He trusted that Baekhyun would tell him at his own pace.

“You need to get out of those clothes Baekhyun.”

“I don’t have any other clothes.”

Kyungsoo passed by him as he gestured for him to follow, “I’ll let you borrow some then.” Kyungsoo lead him to his room. Baekhyun waited by the door as Kyungsoo took out a pair of pajamas from one of his drawers. “I have a new pair of boxers you can have too.”

“Thanks Kyungsoo, I don’t know how to—“

“I’ll teach you how to work the bath too.”

“Wait, what?” Baekhyun questioned as he followed the younger into the restroom.

“You need to take a warm bath so you won’t get sick.” He handed Baekhyun the clothes as he let him enter the restroom.

 “The clothes is already enough.”

Kyungsoo the hot water, “There are towels under the sink to dry yourself off.”

Baekhyun gave him a small smile, “Kyungsoo, letting me stay and borrow clothes is enough, really.”

Kyungsoo looked over at him and gestured towards the knobs, “Turn this one left for cold water, turn this one left for hot water. If you want to turn them off, turn right.”

Baekhyun chuckled as he shook his head, “You’re not letting me have a say huh?”

Kyungsoo smiled and walked towards the exit, “No, you’re in my house. What I say goes.”

Baekhyun sighed as he smiled playfully. “Thanks.”

Kyungsoo gave him one last glance before he shut the door. He walked towards his room, ignoring the butterflies in his stomach. Baekhyun was a friend, just a friend. He quickly got out of his own clothes and into warm pajamas, he slipped on his slippers and brushed his damp hair. He was supposed to have taken a bath when he got home, make himself some ramen, then relax cozy in bed until he fell asleep. But his plans changed. He had seen Baekhyun and wanted nothing more than to make sure he was okay. Kyungsoo wanted, needed, to make sure that he was safe. He was now taking care of Baekhyun until Jongdae came back and if he was being honest, he didn’t mind. Perhaps that made him a little selfish, wanting to keep Baekhyun for himself one whole night. His heart skipped a beat at the thought.

He quickly shook his thoughts away, Baekhyun was his friend. He can’t be having such weird thoughts about a friend, his friend needed someone there for him right now. As long as Baekhyun was safe and happy, that’s all that should matter. They were only friends after all.

He took one last glance in the mirror and headed for the kitchen. He looked through his cupboards and found uncooked macaroni. He could make chicken noodle soup with the cooked chicken and carrots in the refrigerator. It wasn’t anything extravagant, but it was simple and warm.

With the recipe in his mind, he got to work on it. He minced the carrots as the macaroni boiled in the pot, it didn’t take long to make. He mixed all of the ingredients together in about 20 minutes and let them all boil together to have the flavors combine. He added a few spices to make the taste stand out and before he knew it, it was ready. He smiled at his creation as he took a whiff, it was ready to be served.

“Kyungsoo?” A soft voice called out to him and Kyungsoo turned his head towards it.

Baekhyun was wearing the clothes he had given him for sleeping. It was a long t shirt that fit him very big with black sweats and black slippers so his feet wouldn’t get cold. The pink had re his cheeks and lips. His eyes were no longer puffy and red, instead they looked just like always.

“Hey.” Kyungsoo smiled at him. “I made soup. Sit down so you can eat some.”

“You made food?” Baekhyun asked, a bit of shock in his voice.

“Yeah, I assumed you would be hungry.” He poured some soup into a bowl and placed it on the table. “Are you still cold? I can turn on the heater.”

Baekhyun shook his head quickly, “No, I’m fine. I just need a bag to place my wet clothes.”

“Oh, you want a plastic bag?”

Baekhyun nodded, “That would be perfect.”

Kyungsoo went to where Minseok would save the bags from groceries. You never knew when you may need one to carry something. He took one out that was all black, that way he could place his clothes in without thinking someone could see it.

“Is this one fine?”

Baekhyun nodded, “That’s perfect.”

Kyungsoo smiled as he handed it to him, “You can place it by the door so you won’t forget it tomorrow.”

Baekhyun nodded as he reached for it, “Yeah, thanks.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes darted down and Baekhyun quickly took the bag and began stuffing his clothes in them. Kyungsoo continued to stare and he noticed something on Baekhyun’s arms that he didn’t notice before. He furrowed his eyebrows as he began to focus more on what was on them.

“Baekhyun, what’s that?”

Baekhyun looked up at him as he tied the bag, “Hm?”

Kyungsoo walked towards him and grabbed his arm, Baekhyun pulled away. “There’s nothing.” He smiled.

Kyungsoo narrowed his eyes, “I know bruises when I see them.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened and he lifted his arms up, “Oh, these? I was at work and a box fell on me as I was putting it away. No big deal.”

Kyungsoo continued to stare at them, “They look like handprints.”

Baekhyun shook his head, “Well my coworkers tried pulling me out of the way.”

Kyungsoo knew a lie when he heard one and this was obviously one. “Baekhyun, don’t lie to me.”

Baekhyun bit his bottom lip as he let out a sigh. He looked down at the ground as his mouth twisted to the side. He was contemplating about something.

“Baekhyun, you can tell me anything.”

“I trust you.” Baekhyun looked up at him, “I really do. So I’ll tell you the truth.”

Kyungsoo nodded, waiting for Baekhyun to continue.

“I’ll be completely honest with you, which is why I’ll tell you that I don’t want to talk about it, yet.” Baekhyun’s eyes looked completely sincere, “I had an altercation tonight, one day I’ll tell you the whole truth, I promise. But as of right now, I don’t think I’m ready to tell you.”

Kyungsoo studied Baekhyun, this time he was telling the truth. He could tell that Baekhyun was being honest. Did he want to know what happened: yes. Was he going to get the answer tonight: no. Baekhyun trusted him and that’s all that should matter. He would let Baekhyun open up to him in his own time.

“I guess, I can be content with that answer.”

Baekhyun smiled, “I trust you Kyungsoo, I promise.”

“Just answer these questions, are you okay?”

Baekhyun chuckled, “Yes.”

“Are you going to be okay?”

“Yes.”

Kyungsoo sighed, “Are you scared of whatever happened last night?”

At this Baekhyun hesitated, he gulped before opening his mouth then shutting it again, “Yes.”

Kyungsoo bit the inside of his cheek, “I’m here for you Baekhyun.” He reached out and took Baekhyun’s hand. “I promise.”

Baekhyun eyes were on the ground and he looked back up at Kyungsoo, his eyes looked watery again but he quickly shook his head as if to make it go away. “I know and I really appreciate that. Anyways,” Baekhyun looked at the table that still had two bowls of soup on top of it. “I’m hungry, you want to start eating?” Baekhyun lead the both of them to the table and they sat down. It astonished Kyungsoo how quickly Baekhyun could lighten the mood. It was as if the conversation they just had had taken place a week ago. Maybe it was because Baekhyun really was hungry, he was slurping the soup as though it was his last meal.

“You eat like an animal.” Kyungsoo teased.

Baekhyun looked at him, “Well maybe if you didn’t cook so well, then I would eat boring like you.”

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, “Boring? You mean like a normal human being with manners instead of an uncivilized savage?”

Baekhyun’s mouth gaped open, “Savage?” he asked playfully. “I’ll have you know my mother put me in etiquette classes.”

Kyungsoo scoffed, “Not only are you a savage, but unteachable too.”

The rest of their meal was peaceful as they conversed and teased each other. Baekhyun quickly got comfortable and began to tease Kyungsoo like there was no end. He would imitate him every once in a while earning a chuckle from him, sometimes, even a gentle hit on the shoulder. This didn’t stop Baekhyun, instead it fueled him to keep going, Kyungsoo didn’t mind. He enjoyed Baekhyun’s presence, everything about him filled the younger with a warm feeling.

After they finished eating, Baekhyun took Kyungsoo’s bowl. “I’ll wash, don’t worry.”

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, “You’re the guest, you can’t wash.”

Baekhyun stuck his tongue out at him as he the water, “Watch me shorty.”

Kyungsoo burst out laughing, “Shorty? We’re practically the same height.” Kyungsoo stood up and walked towards him.

“Yeah, practically, but I’m taller.” Baekhyun retorted back.

Kyungsoo walked next to him and splashed some water on the elder’s face, Baekhyun let out a squeal as he stood there, face wet.

Kyungsoo laughed harder, Baekhyun looked over at him, full smile and mischievous eyes. He placed the clean dishes on the drying rack and turned off the water, but not before scooping up water in his hands. He raised his hands but Kyungsoo grabbed onto his wrists to avoid the attack. They both struggled to pour the water on one another, laughing as they avoided it. Kyungsoo raised Baekhyun’s hands high, Baekhyun did his best to avoid having it over his own head. Both their eyes were glued above their heads, it wasn’t until Kyungsoo heard a gasp that he looked down at Baekhyun. Baekhyun looked at him with bright eyes, their faces were mere inches away from each other. They both looked at one another unable to find the right words to use. Kyungsoo felt that his heart was about to burst, he hoped his face didn’t give it away. “Um,” Kyungsoo put Baekhyun’s hands by the sink and poured out the water, “Nice try.” He said as he looked away. He couldn’t allow Baekhyun to see how flustered he felt.   

Baekhyun slowly retracted his hands, but not before rubbing Kyungsoo’s cheek with one. He giggled and Kyungsoo chuckled at how Baekhyun managed to wet him after all.

“It’s getting late Baekhyun.” He told him, as he grabbed a paper towel. “We should get to sleep.”

Baekhyun nodded, “Yeah, I’m getting sleepy too.”

Kyungsoo motioned for him to follow, “You can sleep in my room.”

Baekhyun quirked an eyebrow up as he followed behind, “Your room?”

Kyungsoo nodded, “Yeah,” The younger walked inside and looked at his bed, “You can sleep here. It’s clean don’t worry.”

Baekhyun smiled. “I can see that, but where will you sleep?”

Kyungsoo looked over at him, “I’m sleeping on the pull out couch.”

Baekhyun’s mouth dropped and he shook his head, “I can sleep there, you shouldn’t have to.”

Kyungsoo waved his hand in protest, “You have no say, remember? If you need anything just tell me, ok?”

Baekhyun sighed and crossed his arms, “Fine. Goodnight.”

Kyungsoo gave him one last smile before he shut the door, “Goodnight Baekhyun.”

Just as the door shut, his phone vibrated. He blinked twice then walked towards the couch where it was. It was a message from Minseok:

[ Minseok: The storm is really bad, I’m staying at Kunpimook’s place ] 10:43 PM

Kyungsoo read the message and sent him a reply quickly:

 [ Kyungsoo: Ok, see ya tomorrow ] 10:45 PM

He took a quick glance towards his room and realized he didn’t know what time Jongdae got home tomorrow. He couldn’t leave Baekhyun alone.

 [ Kyungsoo: I can’t go to work tomorrow. I’ll explain when I see you ] 10:46 PM

Kyungsoo placed the phone on the smaller sofa as he looked out the window. The storm had gotten worse, he could hardly see anything outside. He’s glad that he found Baekhyun when he did. Who knows what Baekhyun would have done if he wasn’t here safe with Kyungsoo. He shut the curtain and began to make the bed. Baekhyun was fragile, he could see why Jongdae seemed to be so protective of him. His thoughts were of Baekhyun even as he laid in bed and placed blankets over himself. Baekhyun’s walls were coming down, weren’t completely down, but were almost. He wanted to know everything there was to know about Baekhyun. He didn’t know what secret he was hiding, but he was certain it had to do with those bruises. He didn’t want to think about them, but it killed him to think that someone had grabbed Baekhyun so hard, it caused bruises. He shut his eyes and willed himself to think about something else, but it just caused the memory to come back even clearer. He sighed and turned the other way around. He eventually began to doze off with Baekhyun on his mind.

It was about one in the morning when Kyungsoo heard a scream, specifically, when he heard Baekhyun’s scream. He thought he was dreaming at first, when he suddenly heard it again. The second time he sat up in bed and looked around. When he heard it a third time, he got out of bed and ran towards his room. The only thing on his mind was Baekhyun, was he ok? What happened? Please be okay. He flung the door open and saw Baekhyun with his eyes shut tight, beads of sweat were rolling down his face and he was gripping the blanket tight.

“Baekhyun?!”

Baekhyun’s mouth suddenly opened wide and he let out another scream. This one wasn’t as loud, but it still broke Kyungsoo’s heart. He quickly climbed onto the bed and shook him gently. “Baekhyun, wake up.” He shook him again, “Baekhyun, please.”

Baekhyun’s eyes shot open as he scurried to sit up, he was panting and making puppy like noises.

“Baekhyun, Shhh.” Kyungsoo soothed as he dug his hand into Baekhyun’s hair softly. “It’s me, it’s me.” He rubbed Baekhyun’s cheek and wiped some of the sweat off. “It was a nightmare.” Baekhyun looked at him with wide eyes, Kyungsoo placed his hand on Baekhyun’s cheek, he waited to see if Baekhyun would retract. When he saw that Baekhyun instead leaned into the touch Kyungsoo caressed him. It was his way of soothing him.

Kyungsoo reached for the lamp on the night stand and turned it on. The room quickly lit up and he could see Baekhyun better now. His eyes were moist and he was somewhat pale. Baekhyun bit his bottom lip and buried himself in Kyungsoo’s chest. He gripped onto Kyungsoo like a lifeline and his panting began to stop as he took in normal breaths. Kyungsoo placed his arms around him, “It’s ok, I’m here.” Kyungsoo was here and he was planning on always being there. He rubbed his back softly until Baekhyun’s shoulders stopped shaking.

They both sat in comfortable silence until Baekhyun finally separated himself. He wiped a tear and swallowed.

“You want me to get you something?” Kyungsoo asked.

Baekhyun shook his head.

“Do you need anything?”

Baekhyun nodded as he looked up at him, eyes still a bit moist.

Kyungsoo smiled tenderly, “Just name it, I’ll get you whatever you want.”

“You.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened and his heart did a little flip. “What?”

“Sleep with me,” Baekhyun took Kyungsoo’s hand and placed it on his cheek. “Please.”

Kyungsoo flipped his hand over so his palm could caress Baekhyun’s cheek. “Okay. If that’s what you want.”

Baekhyun nodded and scooted to make room for him. Kyungsoo climbed in next to him, turned off the light, then laid down.

Baekhyun laid next to him and snuggled on him. Baekhyun placed his head on top of Kyungsoo’s chest, he’s pretty sure that Baekhyun could hear his heart about to explode, but he didn’t care. As long as he was comfortable, nothing else mattered. Kyungsoo looked at the top of Baekhyun’s head, and decided he would test the waters by slowly putting his chin on top of it, if Baekhyun reacted, he would retract. Slowly he crept lower until his chin was resting comfortably on top of Baekhyun’s head. The elder didn’t retract, instead he snuggled in closer. Kyungsoo inhaled slowly, Baekhyun had a light scent of strawberries. It was soothing and made Kyungsoo feel more comfortable than if he were sleeping alone. The only people Kyungsoo slept next to was family, but Baekhyun wasn’t family. Maybe he loved him as much as his family, but it wasn’t the same type of love, Baekhyun was different. Kyungsoo let out a sigh as he finally accepted that the right person was right in front of him and he didn’t even know it.

***

Kyungsoo woke up with the sun in his eyes, he opened them slowly and was met with the ceiling. He let out a sigh as he tried turning over, but felt a weight on top of him. His eyes adjusted and he looked down, suddenly remembering the events of last night. Baekhyun was laying on top of him, eyes still closed. Kyungsoo could feel little breaths as the elder inhaled and exhaled slowly. When Baekhyun was sleeping, he looked so peaceful, unlike the Baekhyun he had seen last night. The memory of last night in the rain made Kyungsoo bite his bottom lip. He never wanted to see Baekhyun like that again.

Baekhyun suddenly stirred in his sleep, just before he opened he eyes.

Kyungsoo chuckled, Baekhyun was just like a puppy, curled up and eyes beginning to wander.

“Good morning.” Kyungsoo said.

Baekhyun shut his eyes and yawned, arms stretching out. He brought them in and smiled before looking up at Kyungsoo. “Morning.”

“How’d you sleep?”

“I slept great.” He responded with a smile, “Better than I have in a while.”

Kyungsoo chuckled. “Get up, I gotta make breakfast.”

Baekhyun sat up, hair in disarray, “Breakfast in bed?”

Kyungsoo sat up and laughed, “Don’t push your luck.”

Baekhyun giggled as he stretched again, “Worth a shot.”

Kyungsoo climbed off and headed towards the kitchen, Baekhyun quickly followed behind.

“What are we making?” Baekhyun asked.

Kyungsoo shrugged, “I don’t know, what do you want?”

“Do you have pancake mix?”

Kyungsoo laughed, “You want an American breakfast?”

Baekhyun nodded, “Yeah! I can make the eggs!”

Kyungsoo nodded slowly as showed off a small smile.

The both of them set to work to make their breakfast. Kyungsoo focused on the pancakes while Baekhyun made bacon and eggs. Kyungsoo found that he wouldn’t mind this being a normal routine. He could wake up to Baekhyun and they could eat together, then he could go manage his café with Minseok. He smiled at the fantasies as he stirred all of the ingredients together. He thought more and more when suddenly his mind wandered on a certain image of Baekhyun leaning in to kiss him and he suddenly felt his cheeks going red. He needed to wipe away those thoughts, Baekhyun didn’t see him that way, it was wrong to think these things (especially since he was right there!).

“I’m done!” Baekhyun yelled enthusiastically, startling Kyungsoo. “Oh sorry, did I startle you?”

Kyungsoo looked down at the batter he was about to pour on the pan, “What was your first guess?” He slowly poured it onto the frying pan.

Baekhyun served the eggs and bacon on a plate and placed it next to Kyungsoo on the counter. “You can put the pancakes there when you’re done.”

Kyungsoo looked at him to see Baekhyun giving him small smile that made his cheeks go up slightly. Again, he looked really cute and Kyungsoo looked away before he could get more thoughts in his head.

About 20 minutes later, they were sitting on the table with the food in front of them. “It looks delicious!” Baekhyun said as he reached for his fork.

Kyungsoo nodded as he took a bite. “It tastes delicious too.”

They were both enjoying their meal when the front door opened, Minseok walked in with a hoodie and shut the door behind him.

“Minseok?”

Minseok turned to look at the both of them in the kitchen. “Hey…guys.” He walked towards them.

“What time is it?” Kyungsoo asked.

Minseok walked in the kitchen and grabbed a plate. “Its 10:30 I think. You made an American breakfast?”

Kyungsoo nodded, “Yeah, help yourself.”

Minseok placed the food on a plate and walked to sit next to Kyungsoo. “Bam is a nice guy, but he’s an awful cook.” He shoved some pancake into his mouth, “He just packed cheerios for lunch and we left his apartment.”

Kyungsoo chuckled, “Yeah, I think he told me his roommate is the one that cooks, you skipped work today?”

Minseok shook his head as he took a bite of the pancake, “The rain actually messed up a pipe in the kitchen.”

Kyungsoo’s eyebrows cocked up, “What?!”

Minseok nodded, “Yup, it’s gonna take at least a week for them to fix it, until then, no one is allowed inside.”

Kyungsoo’s mouth dropped, “So, what are we gonna do for next week?” Kyungsoo asked in disbelief.

Minseok shrugged, “I don’t know, but they are going to be paying us for dis employment until the café is ready to be opened again.”

Baekhyun’s cocked his head curiously, “So you guys are getting paid for nothing?”

Minseok nodded, “Basically, they told me at least a week, but it could be longer.”

Kyungsoo looked down at his food, usually he would be bored at home. But this presented good news: he could stay longer with his parents than he had originally planned. Maybe an extra day or two, Minseok wouldn’t mind either.

“Kyungsoo, you wanted to make pancakes today?” Minseok asked. “It’s rare to make this, what’s the occasion?”

“Oh, Baekhyun wanted them.”

Baekhyun nodded, “We made them together.” He chimed in.

Minseok chuckled, “So you’re here ‘cuz you were hungry and Jongdae isn’t home?”

Kyungsoo shook his head, “He slept over.”

Minseok stopped chewing and looked between the both of them. “Baekhyun, you slept over? Why?”

“I just…was lonely.” Baekhyun answered.

Minseok’s eyes quickly gave Baekhyun a once over and his eyes stopped on Baekhyun’s arms. He dropped his utensils as his eyes widened; he reached for his arm and held onto his wrist as he stood up. ”What is that Baekhyun?”  Minseok asked, voice stern as he eyed the bruises.

Kyungsoo was stunned in silence, Minseok only got like this when he grew concerned or angry.

Baekhyun looked Minseok in the eyes as he tried pulling away.

“Baekhyun, you answer me! Where did you get those?”

Kyungsoo looked in between Minseok and Baekhyun, unable to figure out exactly what to do. On one hand, he wanted to tell Minseok to let him go. But if Minseok was acting like this, then it was something serious and Baekhyun needed to spill.

“Let go!” Baekhyun yelled.

“Not until you tell me—“

“I said let go!”

Baekhyun tugged away and almost fell backwards. He quickly retreated behind Kyungsoo and looked at Minseok from behind Kyungsoo’s shoulder.

Minseok scowled at him as he took a step forward, but Kyungsoo’s hand went up. “Minseok, you won’t get anywhere by forcing him.”

It was silent for a bit as Baekhyun held onto the back of Kyungsoo’s shirt. Minseok’s features began to soften as he let out a sigh, “Baekhyun please, I just want to help you.”

“I…fell.” Baekhyun responded.

Minseok stared at him intently then eyed Kyungsoo, “Is that true?”

Kyungsoo swallowed. How did he get stuck between this? “Minseok, I don’t know, but I know that he will open up to us in his own time.”

Minseok shook his head and looked at Baekhyun, “Are you seeing him again?”

Baekhyun scowled before yelling out, “No!”

Minseok took a step forward and pointed a finger at him, “You better be telling the truth Baek, you know what Jongdae will do if—“

Baekhyun took a step forward, “Do you think I’m stupid? I learned my lesson and all you and Jongdae do is remind me of how I ed up! How will that help anyone?”

“You swear that you aren’t seeing him anymore?”

“ no! Why don’t you believe me?!”

“It’s hard to believe when—“

“Guys enough!” Kyungsoo shouted.

The both of them turned to look at him.

“We have neighbors. And yelling at each other isn’t going to help anyone. If Baekhyun says something, then we trust him, isn’t that how friendships work?” Kyungsoo had no idea what happened, it was obviously something bad because Minseok wouldn’t get riled up over nothing. But, he wasn’t about to judge when he didn’t know what was going on.

Minseok released a sigh, “Jongdae will be here in about an hour.” He sat back down on his chair and picked up his fork. “Then you’ll have to spill.”

Baekhyun furrowed his brows, “I do what I want.”

Kyungsoo shut his eyes as he looked up at the ceiling. He hated being the peace maker. “Ok guys, drop it please.”

Baekhyun slowly began to sit down.

Kyungsoo sat himself down when the felt the atmosphere beginning to get mellow, “You’ll have someone to let you in the house in about an hour.”

“Let you in?” Minseok inquired.

“I…left my keys in the house.” Baekhyun admitted sheepishly.

Minseok chuckled, “That explains it.”

Jongdae got home about an hour later, Baekhyun quickly ran out to greet him. He embraced him in a hug and yelled out “I missed you!” multiple times.  

“Hey Baek,” He eyed him up and down, eye bags obvious under his eyes. “Are those your pajamas?”

“Uh…” Baekhyun turned around to look at Kyungsoo and Minseok then back at Jongdae. “Kyungsoo let me borrow them.” He lifted up the black bag in his hand. “My clothes are in here.”

Jongdae let out a yawn as he shook his head to wake himself up, “Oh?”

“I slept over ‘cuz I locked myself out.”

Jongdae let out a slight scoff as he shook his head. “Nice one Baek.” His eyes lifted up towards Minseok and Kyungsoo. “Did he snore?” he asked playfully as he pulled out the keys.

Kyungsoo was about to answer, but Minseok spoke up first, “No, he slept fine.” he answered, a smile on his face. “Straight through the night.”

Jongdae raised an eyebrow, “Really?” His gaze went on Baekhyun, “That’s good to hear.”

Kyungsoo chuckled, “He snores like a puppy.” He didn’t want to miss an opportunity to .

Minseok laughed along with him, Jongdae sent them a look, “You slept in the same room as him?”

Kyungsoo opened his mouth to say something, but Minseok quickly interjected, “We have a spare bed in the living room. Baekhyun slept there.”

Kyungsoo looked over at Minseok, the elder was lying and Kyungsoo wanted to clear it up, but Minseok continued to interrupt him. Why wasn’t he letting Kyungsoo speak? He wasn’t even here last night, why was he answering like he knew what happened?

Jongdae nodded slowly, “I see. Well, I’ll be seeing you guys. I’m sorry, but I’m really tired from the jet lag.”

Kyungsoo shook his head, “It’s fine, rest well Jongdae.”

Baekhyun sent Kyungsoo a wide smile before entering his house, “I’ll be seeing you Kyungsoo, I’ll wash the clothes then give them back to you, deal?”

Kyungsoo chuckled, “Yeah, that’s fine, I’ll be seeing you Baek. And you know you can count on me for anything.”

Kyungsoo walked into his own home, Minseok shutting the door behind them. They didn’t turn around, but if they did, then maybe they would have caught the curious glance that Jongdae sent in their direction.  

***

Minseok shut the door behind them and quickly turned to face Kyungsoo, “Hey Soo, what happened last night?”

Kyungsoo shrugged, “Not much.” He sat on the bigger couch that could be used as a pullout bed and reached for the remote.

Minseok furrowed his brows, “Please Kyungsoo, you need to tell me what happened last night.”

Kyungsoo cocked an eyebrow up, “Sure, but it’s not a big deal. Baekhyun slept over ‘cuz he was locked out of his house.”

Minseok sighed, “Kyungsoo, those bruises on his arms mean nothing to you?”

“You know how he got them?” Kyungsoo’s voice came out abrupt and rash.

Minseok shook his head, “No.”

Kyungsoo furrowed his brows. “Don’t lie to me.”

“I’m not.  I don’t know how he got them.” Minseok threw his arms up and sat on the couch. “Baekhyun was in some bad stuff when I met him.”

Upon hearing this, Kyungsoo sat next to Minseok, eyes digging into him. “What do you mean?”

Minseok sighed. “It’s not my secret to say. He doesn’t want anyone to know.” He pursed his lips and looked at Kyungsoo, he was staring at him intently, eyes determined. “Kyungsoo, tell me what happened last night.”

Kyungsoo twisted his mouth to the side and sat up straight. “I saw him in front of his apartment, crying.” Kyungsoo’s heart clenched at the memory. The thought of last night when Baekhyun had looked so helpless haunted him.

“Crying? Do you know why?”

Kyungsoo shook his head, “No. He just told me that he got locked out and I invited him to sleep over.”

Minseok pondered then looked over at the pull out couch. “Kyungsoo, who slept there?” He gestured towards the couch and Kyungsoo looked over at it, then back at Minseok.

“I did, kind of.”

“Kind of?”

“Well…” Kyungsoo hesitated and he looked away.

“Soo, I want to help Baekhyun, tell me what happened.”

“How is me telling you what happened gonna help?” Kyungsoo snapped back.

Minseok sighed, “Listen, the way Baekhyun acts tells a lot about him. I can’t tell you what I know about him, but trust me when I say you can help me figure out what’s going on if you tell me how he acted last night.”

Kyungsoo trusted Minseok with his life, there was no reason to doubt him. But he wanted to keep what happened last night a secret. It was like his own personal secret that involved only him and Baekhyun. He didn’t want an outsider to know the intimacy and utter bliss he felt last night. He looked down at the ground as he thought. Maybe he didn’t have to tell Minseok everything. Maybe he could keep the important parts (his feelings) a secret for a little while longer. His eyes looked into Minseok’s before he spoke:

“Fine, I invited him in and he took a bath and we ate. We went to bed shortly after that and I slept in the living room while he slept in my room. Later in the night, he had a nightmare and—“

“How do you know he had a nightmare?”

Kyungsoo opened his mouth, then shut it. “He was screaming.”

“Screaming? Did he say a name?”

Kyungsoo shook his head, “I went to check on him and he said he wanted me to sleep with him and—“

“He asked you to sleep with him?!”

Kyungsoo glared at him, slightly annoyed he was interrupted twice already, “Yes.”

“Did you?”

“Well I wasn’t going to let him sleep alone, he sounded terrified.”

Minseok’s mouth was open wide, “Did he scream again?”

“Kyungsoo shook his head, “No, we both slept fine after that.”

Minseok’s eyes were open wide, shock evident in both of them.

“Please tell me what’s going on.” Kyungsoo pleaded, “I’m worried about Baekhyun too.”

“Kyungsoo, I’m going to be honest with you, okay?”

Kyungsoo nodded, ready to hear whatever Minseok was about to say.

“Baekhyun doesn’t trust anyone. The only person he truly trust is Jongdae. He doesn’t allow himself to be alone with anybody, him letting you sleep with him is a big deal.”

Kyungsoo pondered a bit then spoke up again, “But he is alone with you all of the time.”

Minseok let out a sigh, “No, we have only been alone once. And that was because we HAD to be.”

Kyungsoo raised up his eyebrow in suspicion. How is it possible that Baekhyun wasn’t confident with others when he was so bubbly and happy all of the time? What exactly would make Kyungsoo so special? Unless…his heart began to speed up as a thought entered him mind. Is it possible that maybe Baekhyun liked him back?

I tend to fall for introverts”

Kyungsoo mentally slapped himself for having that pop in his head. Why did Baekhyun have to say that? He felt his cheeks heating up and he needed to think of something else fast.

“This doesn’t explain why Baekhyun would have bruises on his arm.” Kyungsoo quickly said back.

Minseok let himself fall on the couch as he released a sigh. “I would like to know that too.”   

***

Jongdae shut the door behind him and grabbed onto Baekhyun’s arm. Baekhyun quickly tugged away and bit his bottom lip.

“Don’t think I didn’t notice once I saw you, who gave you the bruises?” Jongdae asked, voice demanding. “Was it Kyungsoo?”

Baekhyun frowned, “No! Kyungsoo would never hurt me!” He yelled back.

Jongdae scoffed, “Was it him?

Baekhyun sighed as he covered his face, “He found me on the street Jongdae. I think he’s stalking me again.”

Jongdae rubbed his temples, he had just come back exhausted. This is not what he should be hearing. “We can call the police, we have a restraining order.”

Baekhyun shook his head as he looked away, “He doesn’t care about any of that.”

Jongdae quickly dropped his suitcase and embraced Baekhyun, the elder leaned into his touch.

“He found me again.”

“Did he follow you home?”

Baekhyun shook his head, “I got away from him by jumping a fence. I made it home before he could pinpoint where I live.”

Jongdae sat the both of them down on the sofa, he was smiling softly at Baekhyun. “I’m honestly a little surprised you’re not more frightened. Im proud, but surprised.”

Baekhyun smiled back at him, “Believe me, I was horrified last night.”

Jongdae nodded, “Usually you come to me crying, you look fine today.”

Baekhyun smiled wider and looked down, cheeks turning pink. “That’s ‘cuz Kyungsoo was there for me.”

Jongdae’s smile disappeared and his face fell flat. “Kyungsoo?”

Baekhyun nodded slowly, “He comforted me and he used sweet words and he held me…” Baekhyun drifted off, remembering last night.

Jongdae sighed, “Baekhyun, we agreed that you wouldn’t allow yourself to do this again.”

Baekhyun looked up at him, eyes determined. “Kyungsoo is different Jongdae.”

Jongdae shook his head, “Please Baekhyun, I don’t want you to get hurt. Just give it more time, let yourself heal completely.”

Baekhyun tilted his head to the side, eyes going wide like a puppy. “He is healing me.”

***

Kyungsoo had always known what he wanted out of life. Ever since he was a child, he knew he loved to bake. But there was another dream he realized he wanted as he got older. He realized that he wanted to one day fall in love with someone and be happy with them. He had figured out he was a hopeless romantic in high school, but didn’t let anyone know. He had crushes before, but Baekhyun was different. He didn’t feel this protective over any of his crushes, but with Baekhyun he felt an obligation to keep him safe. But he had a problem, his fantasy of being with someone always involved a girl. Never once did he picture his happily ever after with a guy. Not until Baekhyun came along, his past crushes on guys didn’t compare to how he felt towards Baekhyun. Heck, not even his girl crushes compared to how he felt towards Baekhyun. He wanted advice and who better to ask than someone who was in a relationship with a guy? That’s why, standing in front of Chanyeol’s door, he can’t regret the decision he made of visiting his friend this afternoon. Minseok’s graduation was fast approaching and his visit to his parent’s house was only two days away, this was his best chance.

He took in a breath and knocked on the door, he heard a stumble then a “Coming!” from inside. He stood there and suddenly the door swung open. Chanyeol stood there wearing a gray muscle shirt and navy blue shorts. His black hair was all in disarray as he leaned on the doorframe, “Hey Kyungsoo, what’s up?”

Kyungsoo scrambled to pick up the bag he had in his hand higher so Chanyeol could see it. “I made too much food and was wondering if you and Jongin would like some?” Minseok was actually out with his Chinese friend, Kyungsoo made too much food on purpose.

“Really?” Chanyeol grinned wide as he made room for Kyungsoo to walk in. “Yeah, thank you! Come on in, we can eat it together.”

Kyungsoo smiled as he walked inside. The house was just like always, neat, but not too tidy.

“I was actually getting hungry and gonna go on a break.”

Kyungsoo looked up towards the kitchen counter and saw a cup of instant noodles on top of it.

Chanyeol was getting plates and putting them on the table. “You can put it in the center if you want. What did you make?”

Kyungsoo placed the bag in the center and began unwrapping it, “I made fried chicken with a couple of sides, not too fancy.”

Chanyeol sat down, chopsticks in hand. “Sounds perfect!” He reached for the food and began to put them on his plate.

Kyungsoo laughed as he reached for some rice. “When was the last time you ate?”

Chanyeol chuckled, “Sorry, I’m really hungry.”

“You’re working from home again?”

Chanyeol nodded as he chewed, “Yeah, the project is due tomorrow, but I want to finish it by tonight.”

Kyungsoo nodded. He knew that Chanyeol worked writing lyrics for a music company. Sometimes he would need to rewrite songs and make a beat for them as well.

“Jongin isn’t home?” Kyungsoo asked.

Chanyeol shook his head, “No, he had to stay late. Apparently the group isn’t doing too good in picking up the choreography.”

Kyungsoo nodded in acknowledgement as he chewed. He was glad that Chanyeol was enjoying the meal. He seemed famished by the way he was eating.

“Hey Chanyeol, is that how you met Jongin?”

Chanyeol looked at him wide eyed. “Hm?”

“I mean you write songs, he choreographs. I assume you guys bumped into each other eventually?”

Chanyeol shook his head, “No, actually we met at a club.”

“Ah I see. How did you know that he was into guys? Did you ask?”

Chanyeol laughed, “It was a gay club.” He said in between chuckles.

Kyungsoo’s mouth dropped as he turned a slight red from embarrassment. “Ah...I see.”

Chanyeol smiled, “Yeah, then we started talking.”

“How did you know?”

“Know what?”

“That you liked him?”

Chanyeol’s eyebrow quirked up. “I don’t know. I just knew.”

“What’s it like?”

Chanyeol scoffed, “What’s what like?”

“Like...liking a guy?”

“Um...normal I guess? I mean, I fall just like you Kyungsoo. When you fall for a girl you just know. But liking a guy can be a little more difficult.”

“How so?”

“Well...not everyone accepts it. Sometimes we get weird stares from people. Then you have to be careful where and when you show affection. I mean...I’m comfortable around you and Minseok, but there are some places where we can’t show affection at all.”

Kyungsoo scoffed and shook his head. “I don’t understand that. How some people can be so against it, you know?”

Chanyeol smiled, “It’d be nice if the whole world thought like you did. Jongin’s parents still have a slight dislike for me because I “turned” their son.”

“They don’t like you?”

Chanyeol shrugged, “They’re coming around. Jongin’s parents wanted some girl named Soojung for him, but I came along instead. I actually spoke with them the other day on the phone. They’re actually trying to accept us now, so that’s good.”

Kyungsoo punched his shoulder playfully. “Everyone loves you Chanyeol. I know they’ll accept you.”

Chanyeol chuckled, “Finally you admit it.”

“Except me, of course.”

Chanyeol laughed as he clapped his hands. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but laugh along with him, he looked so happy. They began to eat silently once their laughing fit was over.

“So…” Kyungsoo bit his bottom lip, but quickly kept up his poker face. “I have this friend and he thinks he might have fallen for a guy. But he technically hasn’t told anyone that he has found guys attractive before.”

Chanyeol gave him a small smile, “Do I know him?”

Kyungsoo shrugged, “Maybe. But what advice would you give him?”

Chanyeol placed his finger on his chin. “Well...I would tell him to come out to someone he trusts whenever he feels ready. Then I would tell him that there’s nothing wrong with it, love is love. And if he really loves this guy, then there is nothing to be ashamed of.”

“He’s not ashamed of it. He just...he doesn’t really know. He feels confused.”

“Then I would tell him that if you feel that way over a guy, then just follow what you think is right.”

Kyungsoo nodded slowly as he chewed.

“My parents were really accepting when I told them. They really liked Jongin when they met him.” Chanyeol said as he used his chopsticks to pick up more rice. “But maybe I got lucky.”

“I think my friend’s parents would be accepting too. They are really open minded.”

Chanyeol gave him a little smile again, “Are you sure I don’t know this person?”

Kyungsoo looked up at him, “Um...I think you do.”

Chanyeol nodded, “You don’t have to tell me anything you don’t want to.”

Kyungsoo bit his bottom lip again, if anyone would understand it was Chanyeol. But if he told someone, then it would make it more real. He contemplated and finally realized that he trusted Chanyeol and he wanted someone to know.

“Hey, Chanyeol.”

“Yeah?”

“That person is me.”

Chanyeol smiled and looked down, “I see.”

Kyungsoo twisted his mouth to the side. “Are you surprised?”

Chanyeol looked up at him, “No.”

Kyungsoo smiled, “You knew?”

Chanyeol shook his head “No, well not really.”

“Not really?”

“Well I...I had a hunch but I didn’t want to assume.”

“A hunch, really?”

Chanyeol nodded, “Yeah.”

“How? What did I do?”

Chanyeol smiled at him, “Can I ask you a question first?”

Kyungsoo swallowed a piece of chicken, “Sure.”

“Is it Baekhyun?”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened, “What?”

“Is it?”

Kyungsoo looked away and his cheeks were going bright red. How did Chanyeol know? Did he make it obvious? “How’d you know?” Kyungsoo asked.

Chanyeol laughed, “The day Jongin said that Baekhyun was gay, you got different, fidgety. And honestly when you’re around him, you give him the eyes I give Jongin.”

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow. How did he look at Baekhyun? Did Chanyeol realize he had been liking him before Kyungsoo himself had realized?

“Don’t worry Kyungsoo, I won’t tell anyone.”

“Thanks Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol took both plates and placed them in the sink. “Honestly though, Baekhyun and you look good together.”

Kyungsoo laughed and got up to punch Chanyeol’s arm.

“It’s true! Ow!”