Chapter 10

Trapped In You

The rest of their vacation went by very fast. They spent most of it on the beach and even went to Disneyland! Baekhyun and Kyungsoo had been hanging out much more than before. Everywhere Kyungsoo was, Baekhyun wasn’t far away and vice versa. Not only that, but whenever they knew they were alone, they took advantage and ended up in each other’s rooms. Kyungsoo had been waking up with Baekhyun next to him for the past week. They didn’t feel ready to tell their friends what had happened. Kyungsoo would feel more comfortable telling Minseok after he and Baekhyun were officially dating.

Kyungsoo did his best, but he couldn’t help the smile that sprawled on his face every time Baekhyun would come around. He noticed Jongdae would throw him curious glances, but he did his best to avert his gaze throughout the rest of the days.

Now, they are on their way back home. Vacation was over and it was time to resume their daily lives.

“Are you guys hungry?” Minseok asked as he grabbed his luggage from the conveyor belt.

Baekhyun yawned before answering, “Yeah. They just gave us ty chips on the plane.”

“We can eat here if you guys want.” Kyungsoo replied. The airport had a lot of fast food places, they could go to one, then call a taxi to take them home. For some reason, the plane ride back home seemed longer than when they arrived to LAX. He felt hungry and jet lagged.

“Can we get hamburgers?” Baekhyun asked.

“Sure.” Jongdae replied as he walked towards a small burger place behind them.

No one argued and simply ordered their food and picked it up once they were called. No one was really talking, Kyungsoo would guess it was because everyone felt tired and disappointed that their vacation was over.

Baekhyun rubbed his eyes and wrapped up his burger in the paper it had been wrapped in. “I don’t want anymore.” He pouted.

Kyungsoo looked at him, “You have to eat. I know you’re probably gonna sleep after this and you won’t eat for the rest of the day.”

Baekhyun giggled before leaning on Kyungsoo’s shoulder and shutting his eyes. “You’re too sweet to me.” He whispered.

Kyungsoo swallowed and looked away. He didn’t want to turn red, but he already saw Minseok giving him a playful smirk. He also saw Jongdae giving him a questioning look. He hadn’t forgotten what Jongdae had told him. He just…couldn’t control his feelings. He wasn’t going to hurt Baekhyun, there was nothing wrong with this, right?

“So,” Minseok began. “Back to reality, huh?”

Jongdae turned his head to look at Minseok, “Yup, back to working at the coffee shop?”

Minseok nodded, “Yeah.”

“By the way,” Baekhyun sat up straight. “When are you guys going to court?”

“Court?” Jongdae asked.

Kyungsoo was honestly a little surprised Jongdae didn’t know about it. He had assumed that Baekhyun had told him.

“Yeah, Kyungsoo and I are suing to get our money back.” Minseok replied.

Jongdae’s eyes widened, “Wow, when is that?”

“It’s next week.”

Baekhyun suddenly straightened up, “We should go Jongdae! To give them support.”

“Well if I’m not working then yeah.”

Baekhyun furrowed his brows. “Well, I’m going.”

Jongdae scoffed, “Go right ahead then.”

“Can loved ones go?” Kyungsoo asked.

Baekhyun placed his finger on his chin as he thought, “They should. Ask your lawyer.”

Kyungsoo smiled, “Alright, I’ll ask him.”

Baekhyun bit his bottom lip, “’Cuz you want me to go, right?”

“Basically.”

He suddenly heard Minseok let out a loud chortle and he suddenly realized what he had just agreed to. He felt his ears going red and he shook his head. Baekhyun let out a laugh next, Jongdae merely face palmed.

“I…I meant that ‘cuz Baekhyun wants to go and it would be nice to have him there.” He tried explaining away.  

Minseok glanced at him, a playful expression on his features. “Whatever you say.”

 

***

It was a couple days away from their court hearing. Kyungsoo had been mentally preparing himself for it. His coworkers had been giving the both of them support and encouraging words.

“You can do it hyung!” Bam and Yugyeom would constantly say this while at work. Kyungsoo was so grateful to have such amazing friends. Not to mention, that Baekhyun had been messaging him constantly so that he could get all of the information he needed to know about the time and place. He said that he would be showing up so that he could be there to hug Kyungsoo when they won. Kyungsoo felt blessed to have so much support.

He sat in the smoothie place in the plaza, sipping on a smoothie that he had gotten for himself. Jongdae had messaged him asking if it would be alright to meet up. He said that he knew it would be more convenient at home, but he didn’t want Minseok nor Baekhyun to know that Jongdae wanted to talk to him. Kyungsoo respected his wish and said he could go to the smoothie place in the plaza. Jongdae agreed and said he would meet him there after work.

Now Kyungsoo sat alone, scrolling through Instagram as he waited. He doesn’t post much, if anything, he doesn’t even go on often. But he has nothing better to do right now and besides, Baekhyun added something to his story. He could just message the elder, but he was at work right now.

He heard the door open and his eyes looked up. Jongdae stood by the door, eyes scanning the area. Kyungsoo lifted his arm to give a small wave and caught Jongdae’s attention.

The elder walked towards him, smiling. “Hey.” Jongdae greeted as he sat down.

“Hey.” Kyungsoo replied. “How was work?”

Jongdae shrugged, “Just the usual.”

“Yeah, same here.” Kyungsoo pushed a smoothie towards him.

Jongdae looked down at it, “Oh, thank you.” He proceeded to take out his wallet. “How much was it?”

Kyungsoo shook his head, “Don’t worry about it.”

“You sure?”

Kyungsoo nodded, “It’s on me.”

Jongdae put his wallet away. “Thanks.” His smile got brighter and he took a sip. “Pineapple?”

Kyungsoo nodded, “Yeah.”

They proceeded to drink and make small talk, until Jongdae cleared his throat. “Kyungsoo, I actually wanted to talk to you about something.”

Kyungsoo took a sip, before answering. “Yeah?”

“Um…” the latter fidgeted in his seat. “I just want to apologize for that time in the laundromat.”

Kyungsoo didn’t respond.

“You have to understand, I just want what’s best for him. But I realize now that you’re what’s best for him.”

“You don’t need to apologize Jongdae. I know you meant well.”

“It was wrong of me to tell you that. I just feel protective of him. He’s like my brother, I watch out for him.”

Kyungsoo smiled, “It’s fine. I know that you come from a good place.”

“Yeah…um…Baekhyun told me what happened at the beach.”

Kyungsoo’s smile faded. Did Baekhyun tell him everything? “What?”

“He told me that you confessed and he confessed so, yeah.”

“That’s it?”

Jongdae scrunched up his face, “Yeah. Trust me, I don’t want the details.”

Kyungsoo felt relief knowing that Baekhyun didn’t actually tell him the full story. “And…you’re cool with that?”

Jongdae laughed, “Why wouldn’t I be? I’m his friend. I’m there for him when he’s in trouble, but I feel you’re a good guy for him.”  

Kyungsoo went a little red and looked away, “Thanks.”

“Although, it isn’t hard to guess what happened while we were there.”

Kyungsoo flushed red, “Oh hey! Look!” He pointed out the window at nothing in particular.

***

To say that Kyungsoo was nervous, would be an understatement. In reality, he was terrified as he sat on the plaintiff’s side. He knew he had a solid case and an outstanding attorney, yet he still felt uneasy. Yixing had insisted that they arrive early to organize everything they would need. The attorney had everything laid out in front of them and ready to use for when it was necessary. The judge was still on a fifteen minute break, hopefully their case wouldn’t take too long.

He let out an exhale and turned around. Baekhyun was sitting on one of the benches next to Luhan. Baekhyun caught his gaze and threw him a smile with a thumbs up. “You got this.” He mouthed. Kyungsoo smiled at him and nodded. His eyes looked at Luhan, whose eyes were fixated on Minseok. The Chinese boy had come to support Minseok after he had told him what happened. Kyungsoo was almost certain they were dating, but he had no time to worry about that now. His mind was somewhere else. Jongdae was sitting on the left of Baekhyun, while Chanyeol, Jongin, and Sehun sat next to Jongdae. It was nice to know he had so much supportive friends. Junmyeon and Sandara had also managed to come. His coworkers, although not present, had all sent him supportive messages through SNS. They all wished him luck and that they were anxious to hear the good news the next time they saw him.

Minseok nudged him softly, Kyungsoo turned to look at him, “Ready?” he mouthed.

Kyungsoo sighed, “I think so.” His eyes looked behind Minseok to the realtor that had scammed them. She was glaring in their direction and she had nothing but anger in her eyes. She had emailed them multiple times trying to psyche them out by claiming that they had no case. She assured that they wouldn’t win and that she would end up getting more money. However, they simply ignored each email. What she did was wrong, and it was time to pay.  

Finally, the judge stepped into the court. Everyone stood up to bow as she walked behind the podium and looked around before sitting down. She had a black ponytail and looked between the plaintiff and defense. Kyungsoo felt his throat go dry as her eyes landed on them, but darted away.

“The judge has arrived, the case will now commence.” The security spoke.

The judge seemed to be getting comfortable before she spoke, “I need the defense and plaintiff to raise their right hand.”

They did just as they were told.

“Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?”

In perfect unison they responded, “Yes.”

“You may be seated.”

They sat down and waited, Kyungsoo wasn’t sure what to expect. But, it did seem similar to court shows he had seen on television.

“Plaintiff.” She suddenly spoke.

“Yes your honor?” Yixing stood up as he smiled kindly at her.

“Why are you here today?”

“My clients would like a full refund of the amount they gave this women.”

“Why?” She shot daggers into Yixing and Kyungsoo grew more nervous.

“They signed a contract stating that a space for lease would be theirs. However, it now belongs to someone else.”

She turned to look at the security next to her. “Please bring me the contract.”

The security went to Yixing and grabbed the packet. He walked back and handed it to the judge. She made a visibly surprised face as she held it. “Why is this so many pages?”

She flipped through and found an area that Yixing had highlighted.

“Do you have any evidence of asking her for a refund?” She asked.

Yixing nodded, “Yes mam. Two emails.” He held up the two printed emails.

The security again went to retrieve them. He gave them to the judge and she read them over.

“Very well.”

She looked at the defense. “Is what he is saying true?”

The defense attorney stood up. “Your honor, my client clearly told them that if someone else comes around and pays in full, then they will get the space. Therefore, no crime has been committed.”

“Where does it say she did that?”

“On the contract you are holding.”

She flipped through it and found it quickly. It was highlighted and in bold. She nodded and looked back at the defense. “It does say that, you do understand that this is illegal, correct?”

“Yes, but my client did not write that contract, someone she trusted did.”  

“Who?”

“A person that does not work with my client anymore.”

“Name?”

“An old partner, he goes by the name of Kim Jinhwan.”

“So you fired him?”

The defense attorney nodded, “My client realized that the contract was illegal therefore causing the dismissal of the person. She has new contracts she wrote herself and these poor folk just managed to get scammed by someone else. This is not my clients fault.”

Kyungsoo looked at Yixing who looked completely calm. Then why did he feel so scared?

“What evidence do you have that your client didn’t write this?”

“Unfortunately, I don’t have evidence, but I do have the new contracts she has written. This proves that she didn’t write the old one.”

“That doesn’t prove anything.” She said bluntly.

Yixing raised his hand, “Your honor, pardon my interjection, but I can prove that she did write the contract.”

Her eyes darted towards him, “Go ahead.”

Yixing nodded, “May I call a witness to the stand?”

“Of course you may.”

Yixing smiled and turned around, “If you could please step forward.”

From one of the benches, a young man stood. He was shorter than Kyungsoo and wore a leather jacket. He had a pretty mole by his eye and walked nervously towards the podium.

He heard a slight gasp and Kyungsoo saw as the realtor’s expression suddenly changed, she looked furious.

Just as the witness took a seat, security made the young man raise his right hand, “Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?”

The young man nodded, “Yes.”

Security stepped back and Yixing took steps towards him, “Your name?”

“Kim Jinhwan.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. This Kim Jinhwan seemed too young to be running a realtor business, especially with such an older woman.

“Are you the partner that worked with the realtor?” Yixing inquired.

“I was actually her intern for a year, not partner.”

Yixing nodded, “What did you do while you worked there?”

“Well…a lot of paperwork. She would leave me alone in the office a lot and expected me to do all her work for her.”

“Why did you leave?”

“I quit.”

“You quit? But she claims she fired you.”

Jinhwan shook his head, “That’s not true. I quit after her rude remarks and the constant insisting of writing a contract I knew was illegal.”

“Oh? So you knew a contract like the one the judge is holding is illegal?”

“Yes, she always insisted I do it, but I knew a contract like that is something only a scammer would write.”

“So, who wrote it?”

“She did.”

The defense attorney stood up, “Objection your honor! This is all substantial evidence. How can we believe the words of someone who was fired? He is lying about everything.”

“I am not lying, I have voice messages and emails to prove it!”

There was a silence in the court room once those words came out. Kyungsoo’s eyes widened and he gulped. His eyes suddenly flew to the realtor, she was clenching her teeth and had her hands in fists. It seems the tears would fall soon judging by how furious she looked. He looked back at Yixing, this was it.

“May I hear and see them please?”

Jinhwan pulled out a usb. “I put them all in here.” He handed it to the security who placed it in a slot next to a screen. The screen was big enough for everyone in the courtroom to be able to see.

The screen itself , but it looked black. Then there was a voice that spoke:

“Jinhwan! I told you to write the contract! Is it done? , you’re so lazy.”

There was a three second pause, then again another voice,

“Never mind, I wrote the goddamn thing myself. Please come in earlier to work tomorrow.”

There was an email afterwards, the email read what Jinhwan had stated earlier. He had quit, he did not get fired.

The screen turned black and there was her voice again: “Fine, quit. You couldn’t even do a simp—“

The realtor suddenly stood up, tears streaming her face as she trembled, “This is not true!” She yelled as she threw her hands up, “This is edited! It’s false! Stop lying Jinhwan!”

Jinhwan merely swallowed and looked away from her. Kyungsoo was surprised that she let out such an obnoxious outburst.

The judge looked at the defense attorney and struck her gavel, “Control your client.” She said, no emotion in her voice.

Kyungsoo saw as the attorney tried to get her to sit down, she went down, fury evident in every one of her features.

After the voicemails were over, the usb was removed.

Yixing smiled at Jinhwan before looking at the judge, “No further questions.”

“You may go back to your seat Jinhwan.” She said as she looked at the papers in front of her.

Yixing went back to Minseok and Kyungsoo, smile very evident. He turned to look back at the judge. “My clients have been having a dream since they were children. That one day, they would open up a food business in Seoul. However, someone came along and took advantage of that innocent dream. My hope is that scammers could be picked out one by one and leave innocent people alone.” He sat down, “That is all I have to say.”

She sent him a small smile before looking at the defense attorney, “Is there anything else you would like to bring up?”

He sighed and looked down at the ground, “No your honor.”

“Very well, I have made my decision.”

She sat up straight and grabbed her gavel as she pointed to the realtor. “Your business is hereby shut down. The last thing you will do is give them a full refund with 20% interest.”

Kyungsoo heard his friends clap from behind him. Minseok hugged him and he felt the tears stinging his eyes, but blinked them away. He was already beyond enthusiastic with a full refund, but 20% interest? He would have never imagined this, not even in his wildest dreams.

“But your honor,” Her attorney tried to argue, but she merely placed her finger on her lips.

“My decision is final, you have until the end of the week.” She struck the gavel down, “Case dismissed.”

The realtor left with a sour look on her face. She grabbed her things and stormed out the door before Kyungsoo could even stand. He was beyond disbelief, he couldn’t believe that he had just won…more than what he had originally wanted.

Minseok grabbed his wrist to pull him up, “Let’s go. Our friends are waiting.”

***

Yixing led the way out, everyone was already outside. Their friends had gotten kicked out right away while they gathered all of their belongings.

“There is actually someone I want you to meet.” Yixing said.

Kyungsoo was on cloud 9 right now, he would meet anyone.

By the exit was the witness, Jinhwan. He was on his phone and when he caught sight of Yixing, gave a shy smile.

“Guys, this is Jinhwan.”

Minseok immediately extended his hand out, once Jinhwan took it, he pulled him into a hug. “Thank you.” The elder murmured.

Jinhwan was a little surprised, but hugged him back, nonetheless.

They both parted, Jinhwan grinned at him, “Your welcome.”

Kyungsoo came up from behind Minseok and looked straight at Jinhwan. “No really, thank you so much.”

“I met him after searching and searching for old employees.” Yixing added. “I needed a witness and then I finally was able to track an old intern.”

“Sincerely, thank you.” Kyungsoo said once again.

Jinhwan shook his head, “It was nothing really.”

“Nothing? You were key to us winning.” Yixing said.

Kyungsoo would be forever grateful to him, “Without you, we wouldn’t have been able to do this.”

Jinhwan smiled, “I was just doing what was right. It was wrong what she did to you. I’m just sorry I didn’t report her sooner.”

Minseok took out his phone, “Please, let me get your number. I want to return the favor, it’s the least I can do.”

Jinhwan let out a chuckle, “Well…okay.” He pulled out his phone, “but don’t feel you owe me anything. I was happy to do it.”

Minseok and he exchanged Kakao accounts and added each other as friends.

“When our café opens, you can come whenever you want.” Kyungsoo piped in. “Free of charge.”

Minseok grinned wide, “Yes!”

Jinhwan laughed, “Thank you, but again, you don’t owe me anything.”

The four walked out of the courthouse after security cleared his throat loudly. Once Kyungsoo looked up he saw his friends waiting for him. They were all smiling as they cheered. His eyes scanned the crowd and finally landed on Baekhyun. He was radiating joy as he jumped up and down. Kyungsoo smiled even wider as his eyes stayed fixated on Baekhyun. He walked down the steps and Baekhyun ran straight towards him. He grabbed onto his face and leaned in to kiss him, Kyungsoo was a little surprised at first, but quickly kissed him back. He heard even louder cheers as his hands went down to wrap around his waist.

Baekhyun parted and hugged him. “I knew you would win.”

Kyungsoo hugged him back, “Thank you.”

Minseok was still next to him, Luhan had run up to him and wrapped his arms around his waist. He was spinning him around. Kyungsoo had yet to meet Luhan properly, but that could wait. Jongin, Sehun, and Jongdae were crowding and throwing confetti in the air.

Sandara and Junmyeon walked next to them, “You won! I knew you would.” Sandara exclaimed.

Kyungsoo and Minseok let out a laugh, they were beyond ecstatic. “Noona,” Minseok began, “Could we meet you tomorrow in your office? To discuss things.”

Her smile grew wide as she nodded, “Of course! I’ll be waiting.”

Chanyeol suddenly hugged Kyungsoo from behind. “Congrats Soo!”

Kyungsoo laughed and Baekhyun took a step back as Kyungsoo’s grip began to loosen. He had just won and he felt on top of the world! Not to mention Baekhyun had just kissed him, adding to his high.

Kyungsoo saw that Luhan was next to Minseok they were hand in hand as they talked. Minseok’s eyes were wide with excitement as he spoke. Luhan looked captivated in whatever Minseok was saying.

“Kyungsoo! Party at my house!” Chanyeol hollered out. “Everyone is invited!”

Everyone let out a holler in agreement.

“I don’t know if I—“ Yixing began but Sehun quickly pulled his arm.

“Your schedule is clear for the rest of the day. You can come.” The younger said with a full smile on his face.

“Caught in a lie?” Junmyeon teased.

Yixing scoffed, “Fine, I’ll go.”

***

Everyone except Jinhwan and Sandara had gone to Chanyeol’s house. Once they arrived, Chanyeol blasted the music and took out beer from the refrigerator. “Okay, we are celebrating!” Chanyeol yelled.

Kyungsoo laughed, he knew it wouldn’t last long. Everyone had work the next day, they couldn’t stay too long.

Yixing and Sehun sat on one of the sofas next to Junmyeon and Jongdae. Kyungsoo didn’t want to assume, but he could have sworn that Jongdae got a little quieter when Yixing sat next to him. He had been talking to Junmyeon and suddenly clammed up. Kyungsoo shook it off and leaned against the wall. Minseok was with Luhan, they were on the couch and talking. But, the gazes they were giving each other showed more than words could describe. Little gestures they would do, such as the hand on Luhan’s leg or the brush of shoulders just seemed intimate. His eyes traveled to Baekhyun, who was talking to Chanyeol. He didn’t know what they were saying, but Baekhyun seemed to be laughing about it. Baekhyun caught his gaze and their eyes met. His smile got small and a shine came in his eyes. Kyungsoo scoffed and looked away as he took a sip of the beer Chanyeol had given him.

Jongin came up from behind him, “Hey.”

Kyungsoo turned around to look at him, “Hey.” He replied.

The younger took a sip of the beer. “Congratulations.”

Kyungsoo chuckled, “Thanks.”

“Sorry we can’t make you an official party.”

Kyungsoo shook his head. “This is already enough.”

“The pizzas are on their way though.” He exclaimed enthusiastically.

Kyungsoo laughed, “Thanks.”

They took a sip and Jongin smirked at him after he swallowed. “So…you and Baekhyun?”

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

“I mean, I saw it coming.”

Kyungsoo remembered how Baekhyun had told him that he had told Jongin. It didn’t take much to put two and two together.

“Chanyeol told you?” Kyungsoo asked, a teasing tone in his voice.

“Huh? Oh, no. He didn’t. He barely told me on the drive back here that you had told him. I kind of figured out on my own.”

“You figured out?”

He nodded, “It wasn’t rocket science. Just the way you looked at him was enough.”

Kyungsoo laughed again, “Wow…I must not be as poker faced as I thought.”

Jongin shook his head, “Nope, I’m actually good with these things. Like that Luhan guy and Minseok.”

“That one’s easy.”

Jongin furrowed his brows, “Fine.” He scanned the room then looked back at Kyungsoo. “Jongdae and your lawyer.”

Kyungsoo nearly spat out his drink, “Okay, you’re crazy.”

“Mark my words.”

Kyungsoo shook his head, “Yeah, sure. But Baekhyun and I aren’t technically a thing yet.”

Jongin shrugged, “Simply a matter of time.”

Kyungsoo looked back at Baekhyun, who was still chatting it up with Chanyeol. He knew that Jongin was right, it was only a matter of time before he and Baekhyun would be an official title. But until that day comes, he doesn’t mind being like this. He liked Baekhyun and Baekhyun liked him. He could be content with that.