Finale

Trapped In You

Kyungsoo arrived on the stretcher in critical condition. He had lost a lot of blood and had not woken up from his fainting spell at the theater. The doctors rolled him into the emergency room, running frantically through the halls.

Baekhyun had no trouble keeping up with them. He made sure to hold on securely to the stretcher. His eyes were directed at Kyungsoo, who was very pale. The doctors had tried to stop the bleeding by bandaging him up in the ambulance, but the bandage had gotten bloody from the wound.

“Sir, we need to conduct surgery on him, now!” The doctor told Baekhyun sternly.

Baekhyun looked up at the doctor, “I’m going with you.”

The doctor shook his head, “Unauthorized personnel are prohibited from coming inside. I’m afraid you’re going to need to stay in the waiting room.”

Baekhyun shook his head, “I’m going with him!”

Jongdae grabbed him by the waist and held him securely. “Go ahead.” He told the doctors.

Baekhyun’s eyes widened when he saw them taking Kyungsoo away from him. Kyungsoo was in serious condition and he couldn’t even be by his side. “Jongdae! Let go!” He yelled as he kicked.

Jongdae merely tightened his grip on him, “Baekhyun, stop!” He commanded.

“Kyungsoo!” He screamed as tears fell down his face.

“Baekhyun! They’ll kick us out! You need to calm down.”

Baekhyun let out sobs as the fight began to leave him. Kyungsoo had promised to protect him, but he couldn’t even do the same. Kyungsoo had defended him and he had failed him. Baekhyun began to go limp as tears continued to fall.

“I’m here.” Jongdae comforted.

Baekhyun turned around and threw himself onto his best friend. He cried into him as he clung on desperately to his shirt. Jongdae held him securely, “He’s gonna be alright.” He soothed him.

Jongdae’s phone rang and Baekhyun let him go so he could answer it. He felt worthless, he didn’t deserve comfort.

“Hello? Minseok?” Jongdae answered. “Ok, we’re in the emergency room. I’ll meet you outside.”

Jongdae hung up, “Minseok is outside, come on.”

Baekhyun followed him reluctantly. How could he face Minseok? The elder would surely hate him after he hears what happened.

Minseok was a couple of feet away from the entrance, walking towards it quickly, “I came once you called me. Where is he?”

“He’s having a surgery in intensive care.” Jongdae answered.

Minseok gritted his teeth and tightened his fists. “And the guy?”

Jongdae shrugged, “I didn’t see where they took him.”

Minseok was mad. Baekhyun could hear it in his voice. Minseok hadn’t even looked over at Baekhyun, he probably hated him. He probably knew that this was all Baekhyun’s fault. Baekhyun’s shoulders began to shudder as he lost his composure. He let out a scream as he covered his face. Jongdae was by his side in an instant. He held the elder in his arms securely.

“I couldn’t even protect him.” Baekhyun said in between sobs.

Jongdae let out a sigh as his grip on Baekhyun tightened.

“I’m a failure. If he hadn’t met me, then this wouldn’t have happened.”

“Baekhyun, stop.”

“It would be better if we never met!”

At this, Jongdae stiffened. “You—you don’t mean that.”

“Minseok hates me! Everyone is going to hate me! Because I killed Kyungsoo!”

Jongdae furrowed his brows and took a step back, causing Baekhyun to stumble a bit. Minseok was shooting daggers at him, just as Jongdae was.

“You really think Kyungsoo would be happy if he heard you talking like that?” Jongdae asked, tone getting louder.

Baekhyun sniffled and swallowed.

“I get it, your upset. So am I, but this is no one’s fault. Imagine how heartbroken Kyungsoo would be if he knew you said that. You know what Kyungsoo needs right now? He needs you to be strong for him.”

Baekhyun sighed, “I couldn’t even protect him.”

“Then start now! Start by swallowing that bull you just said!” Minseok yelled out in anger.

“He might not make it!” Baekhyun shouted back.

“Yeah, go ahead. Think like that. Think that Kyungsoo doesn’t have any fight in him. For all we know, Kyungsoo is holding onto life to be with you!” Jongdae screamed back.

“Shut up!” Baekhyun shouted as he covered his ears. “Shut up! I don’t deserve him!” He kneeled onto the floor.

The only thing that could be heard in that moment were the cries of someone that was completely torn. The sound was heart wrenching and they knew in that moment that if Kyungsoo didn’t make it, neither would the elder. Baekhyun had been so broken before Kyungsoo came into his life. If the younger left, Baekhyun would be done. Jongdae knew that yelling at Baekhyun would do no good, Minseok had the same idea by the way he was looking at Jongdae.

Jongdae and Minseok slowly walked towards Baekhyun and kneeled next to him, “Kyungsoo will make it.” Jongdae said softly.

Minseok lifted up his hand and rubbed Baekhyun’s head gently, “He loves you Baekhyun. He is so in love with you.”

Baekhyun stayed quiet, breathing heavily in the night. “I’m in love with him.”

“Then show it. Show it by being strong for him.” Minseok replied. “I’m upset that hurt my best friend. I don’t blame you at all. This isn’t your fault, so please, don’t blame yourself.”

Blaming himself won’t do any good. Jongdae and Minseok were right. If Kyungsoo heard him talking like this, he would be crushed. He needed to demonstrate to Kyungsoo that he was willing to be strong. He was willing to do whatever it took to make sure that he would be protected from now on.

“When Kyungsoo wakes up, he is going to want to see you.”

Baekhyun put his hands down slowly and looked up to look at Jongdae, “And I’ll be there.”

“He’s gonna need you.”

Baekhyun nodded, “I’m willing to do whatever it takes.”

 

The doctor revealed in the early hours of the morning that Kyungsoo’s surgery was a success. He was going to be fine and just needed to sleep for the next couple of hours. Unfortunately, they were still unable to see him, they needed to wait until the afternoon.

Kyungsoo’s parents arrived later that morning, “Where is he?” his mother asked frantically.

Minseok walked up to soothe her, “He is fine, just resting.”

“I want to see him Minseok.”

Minseok shook his head, “He is sleeping and they aren’t letting us in yet. But the doctor promised that he was fine.”

Her eyebrows furrowed in worry, Minseok smiled at her. “I promise you, he is fine.”

Baekhyun saw the look of concern on Kyungsoo’s parents. He felt the guilt begin to rise again, but he quickly pushed it back down. He couldn’t allow it to take over. He had already promised to be strong for Kyungsoo. He walked next to Minseok, looking directly at Kyungsoo’s parents, “I promise you, he is alright. The doctor just doesn’t want us to wake him up from his rest.”

Kyungsoo’s mother gave him a small smile, “I would still like to see him.”

Baekhyun nodded, “I understand.” She took her hand and led her to sit next to him, “Perhaps we can wait together.”

She took his hand and sat down, “Thank you.”

Baekhyun gave her a small smile, “I love your son very much. I want nothing more than for him to be safe and happy.”

Her smile widened a bit and her eyes grew gentle, “I’m glad he has you.”

***

He heard his breath as it came out steady. He felt his chest going up and down. He felt a bright light on him. Where was he? He doesn’t know.

Kyungsoo opened his eyes slowly, vision blurry. His tongue darted out and his lips felt dry. He swallowed and felt like something had been lodged inside of his throat. He saw white sheets atop of him and his eyes slowly lifted up, he felt weak. He made out a figure in front of him, he blinked, trying to get a better view.

His vision began to clear and he made out someone with a ponytail standing in front of him, it was a female and her back was towards him.

He blinked again and his vision got even better, “M—mom?” His throat sounded raspy as if he had a cold.

His mom turned around and her eyes swelled up in tears as she hurried to his side, “Kyungsoo,” She put her hand in his hair and caressed him soothingly, “Hey.”

“Where am I?”

He looked around and saw an IV tube connected to his arm. A machine was next to him recording his heartbeat. 

“You’re in the hospital sweetie.”

“Hospital?” He was at Baekhyun’s audition, how did he…? He looked into his mother’s eyes and the memories flooded in. He had defended Baekhyun from that monster. And he had gotten stabbed. But Baekhyun, what had happened to Baekhyun?!

He tried sitting up, “Where is he?” he grunted as he felt a pain from his abdomen and laid back down.

His mother held his hand, “You were hurt Kyungsoo. You had a surgery.”

“Surgery?”

“Try to be careful Kyungsoo, you’re still fragile.”

“Where’s Baekhyun?”

His mother gave him a small smile and gestured towards the opposite direction. He turned his head, and Baekhyun was sleeping on a sofa. He had his face curled up inside of his arms. Kyungsoo bit his bottom lip. “I got stabbed.”

His mother cleared , “Yes, and the ambulance brought you here. He hasn’t left since you’ve been here or slept.”

Kyungsoo couldn’t take his eyes off of him. He looked so frail as he sat there. He was curled up in a ball and only his eyes were visible, the rest of his face was disguised by his arms. “How long have I been here?”

“Three days.”

He looked back at her, “What?”

“The doctors made you inhale anesthesia to keep you sleeping during the surgery. Then they decided to keep you sleeping because the pain would be unbearable if you woke up right away.”

“I…I’m under anesthesia?”

She shook her head, “No, they gave you sleeping gas last night instead of the anesthesia. They determined that your body was well enough to not feel as much pain anymore. You’re under another drug to help prevent pain.”

That would explain why Kyungsoo didn’t feel so groggy. He felt normal, it didn’t feel as though he was under anesthesia.

Kyungsoo looked back at Baekhyun, “He hasn’t slept for three days?” He felt his eyes swell up but he blinked the tears away.

“He was willing to wait longer without sleep, but I promised to wake him up if anything happened.”

He looked up at his mother. He can’t begin to imagine the pain she must have gone through when she heard her son had gotten stabbed. “Mom, are you okay?”

She smiled, “Yes, don’t worry about me. How are you feeling?”

Kyungsoo hadn’t even thought about how he was feeling, he felt fine, but it hurt if he moved too much. “I feel alright.”

“Your friends are downstairs in the cafeteria, I’ll go tell them you woke up.” She planted a kiss on his head. “The doctor comes in every hour. He’s gonna be glad to see you’re awake.” She rubbed his head gently and Kyungsoo gave her a small smile. She removed her hand and headed towards the exit, but walked to Baekhyun first.

Kyungsoo looked curiously as his mom bent to his level. She shook his arm gently, “Baekhyun?”

The elder stirred in his sleep but woke up quickly.

“He’s awake.” She told him just above a whisper.

Baekhyun’s eyes widened and he looked up to lock eyes with Kyungsoo. His eyes got moist and he stood up in an instant, nearly stumbling as he made his way towards him.

Baekhyun sat on a chair and gripped his hand, “Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo squeezed back. With Baekhyun this close, he could see the small details he couldn’t before. He had eye bags and his face seemed smaller, as if he hadn’t been eating properly.

“I’ll be right back.” She told them before walking out.

“I thought you—“, The elder’s eyes got watery and he wiped at them. “I was so scared.” A tear fell and he wiped at that too.

“Baekhyun, I’m okay.”

Baekhyun sighed as he shook his head, “I was so worried, I don’t know what I would have done if you wouldn’t have—“

“Don’t think like that. I’m fine.”

The elder looked up to lock eyes with him, “Don’t do that again. You’re such an idiot. I almost lost you.”

Kyungsoo looked back at Baekhyun, keeping his poker face, but it turned into a small smile. “I would do it again, if it meant that you could be safe.”

Baekhyun’s watery eyes widened and he shook his head, “I don’t deserve you.”

Baekhyun gripped onto Kyungsoo’s hand and put his head on the bed next to Kyungsoo, he was crying softly. Kyungsoo used his other hand to gently rub Baekhyun’s head. “Shhh…” He soothed. “I’m okay.”

Baekhyun looked at him and wiped his eyes, “And I’m thankful for that.” Baekhyun gave him a heartwarming grin and leaned over him, “May I?”

Kyungsoo half smiled, “You may.”

Baekhyun leaned down and kissed Kyungsoo tenderly. He would never let anything happen to Kyungsoo ever again. He would protect him from anything. That was what the kiss conveyed.

Baekhyun was gentle with him as he parted, “I love you Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened, Baekhyun merely grinned from ear to ear, “Be my boyfriend.” Baekhyun suddenly asked (more like declared). He intertwined their fingers together. “Be mine Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo scoffed but then grunted as slight pain hit him.

“Be careful Soo.” Baekhyun held him in place and leaned over him again.

Kyungsoo looked up at him, their eyes making contact again. He would forever be enchanted by him, everything about Baekhyun was beautiful.  

“I’ll be your boyfriend.”

Baekhyun smiled wider and leaned down once again to kiss his forehead, then went down slowly to kiss his cheek, then landed a peck on his lips. “I don’t want to lose you.”

Kyungsoo smiled, “And you never will.” He lifted up his hand and placed it on top of Baekhyun’s cheek, “I love you Baekhyun.”

He heard a knock and they both turned their heads. His friends stood by the doorway with his parents next to them.

Baekhyun stood up straight as he giggled, Kyungsoo placed his hand over his mouth, trying to hide his slight embarrassment.

They all walked in, “I see you’re feeling better.” Minseok said as he stood next to him on the bed.

Kyungsoo smiled at him, “Yeah I do.”

Chanyeol and Jongin placed balloons next to him on the nightstand, “Does it hurt hyung?” Jongin asked.

“Only if I move.” Kyungsoo replied.

Minseok sighed, “You had me worried Kyungsoo, don’t be stupid again.”

Kyungsoo looked up at his friend, “Sorry.”

Baekhyun quickly interjected, “It wasn’t his fault.” He slowly intertwined their fingers again, “Shouldn’t we be happy that he’s feeling better?”

Chanyeol nodded, “That’s all that matters.”

Minseok smiled, “And the fact that Yixing landed that 20 years behind bars without a chance of parole.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened, “Really?”

Jongdae smiled wide, “Yup, that prick is going to rot in there.”

Jongin clapped before speaking, “And Baekhyun got the part too!”

Kyungsoo’s mouth dropped, “What?”

“Jongin! That was supposed to be a surprise!” Baekhyun scolded.

Kyungsoo looked up at him, “Did you really?”

Baekhyun put his lips together, “Well…actually, I got the lead.”

Chanyeol let out a laugh, “Can this get any better? But seriously though, I thought they were going to let you be garbage boy or something.”

Everyone laughed and Baekhyun’s mouth dropped, “Says Yoda over here.”

Kyungsoo grinned from ear to ear. He was officially the luckiest person alive. There always needed to be a storm before one can get to the rainbow. He looked around and realized he had amazing friends, wonderful parents and now…he looked at Baekhyun who was laughing along with everyone else, a perfect boyfriend.

Kyungsoo’s mother stared at him intently and realized that her wish had been fulfilled.

 

*** Months Later ***

 

The red ribbon was tied around the café. Minseok and Kyungsoo held the scissors in their hands as they stood in front of it.

“Smile!” Their mothers yelled as the cameras flashed in front of them. Everyone they knew was here for the opening of “XiuSoo’s Café”. Their old coworkers stood there with smiles on their faces, their close friends were all in the front waving their arms, even Sandara, Yixing, and Jinhwan had come! Kyungsoo shut his eyes as he saw the white fuzzies from the cameras beginning to cloud his vision, “Ok, done?”

“Take a picture with Baekhyun and Luhan!” Minseok’s mother yelled out.

“Mom, we’ll do it after the ribbon, deal?” Minseok responded.

She pouted but agreed reluctantly.

They both smiled and placed the scissors in front of the ribbon, “We officially declare Xiusoo’s café,” They cut the ribbon, “Open.”

Their friends let out a loud holler as they jumped up and down. Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Jongdae were the loudest. Jongin jumped next to them with a wide smile as he waved his hands, his engagement ring shining under the sunlight.

“Congrats!” BamBam yelled out as he jumped with Yugyeom. Yunhyeong was next to them, holding his girlfriend’s hand as they both smiled and cheered. Lisa and Jeongguk clapped alongside each other, connected to the hip.

Kyungsoo smiled as he held the door open wide, “Open for business.” He stated, a wide grin adorning his features.

Everyone walked inside, congratulating the both of them as they walked in.

Minseok was one of the last inside, Luhan took him by the hand and lead him in. Minseok looked just as enthusiastic as Kyungsoo, if not more.

Kyungsoo stayed by the doorway and Baekhyun ultimately walked up to his boyfriend. He grabbed his face and kissed him wholeheartedly.

“You did it.” He whispered as they parted.

Kyungsoo grabbed his chin and leaned in to give him a small peck. “We did it.” He stated, connecting their foreheads together.

Baekhyun’s role in his musical had been a big success. He got called by other directors telling him that they would love if he could audition for their plays. He made a big impression as the lead and now, he is living his dream, just like Kyungsoo was.

Baekhyun gave the younger a wide grin, “It’s all because of you.” He replied. 

Kyungsoo shook his head, “You just needed a little bit of a push. You did it all on your own.”

A sudden giggle was heard from their left and they turned their heads. The young ladies that were peeking through the clothes store window quickly hid away.

Baekhyun scoffed as his eyes darted back to Kyungsoo, “I feel your café is going to be really popular around here.”

Kyungsoo sighed, “I hope so.”

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow, “I know so.”

Kyungsoo laughed as he placed his hand gently onto Baekhyun’s cheek, “I only have eyes for a certain idiot.”

Baekhyun leaned into the touch, “I only have eyes for a certain introvert.”

Kyungsoo smiled and couldn’t help but wonder, how did he get so lucky?

“Kyungsoo! I could use a little help!” Minseok yelled from inside.

Baekhyun giggled and grabbed Kyungsoo’s hand to bring it down.

“On my way!” Kyungsoo yelled back. He tugged Baekhyun along behind him, “Such a distraction.”

Baekhyun leaned into his ear, “Punish me then.” He whispered before running where Jongdae, Chanyeol, and Jongin were sitting.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and smirked as he went behind their counter. He would punish Baekhyun later when they got home, but right now, he needed to worry about other things.

The interior was painted in a light brown color, the tables were the same color to match the walls. As of right now, it was simple, with nothing decorating the walls. But they knew that it would soon get better as they progressed.

“You put the open sign outside right?” Minseok asked.

“Yup, and the 50% off sign too.”

For the first week of opening, they had decided to celebrate by having all drinks and pastries on sale.

“Can I have a…café macchiato?” Yixing asked as he stepped up to the counter. Luhan stood next to him, the both of them had become good friends much to everyone’s surprise.

“Of course.” Minseok replied.

“And I want the cute barista behind the counter.” Luhan suddenly burst out saying.

Yixing cringed, “No one wants to hear your lame pickup lines.”

Luhan snorted, “You’re gonna need them if you wanna get anywhere with him.” Luhan loomed his gaze over to Jongdae’s table, then smirked at the other Chinese male.

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow, had Jongin been right?

Yixing pinched his arm, “Shut up! He might hear you.” Yixing’s gaze went towards the table, but went back to the front counter quickly.

Luhan looked back at them as he rubbed his arm, “Seriously though, I want a cupcake.”

Everything was going according to what they had always dreamed of. Their friends and family all sat at a table or in line waiting to get their drink and pastry.

Kyungsoo felt a sense of pride as they enjoyed themselves. He couldn’t ask for a better gift.

***

Baekhyun put the gas pump into the fuel tank. They were on their way to his parent’s house so that he could introduce them to his new boyfriend. Kyungsoo stood next to him as Baekhyun let go of the pump and let it fill itself.

“What are your parents like?” The younger asked.

“Hmm…they’re really nice, don’t worry.”

Kyungsoo sighed. It would be the first time that he met Baekhyun’s family and he was a nervous wreck. The café would be closed for the weekend while Minseok met Luhan’s parents and Kyungsoo met Baekhyun’s. At first, he didn’t want the café to be closed for the whole weekend, but Baekhyun’s persistence had paid off. They had decided that after it closed on Friday, they would drive to Baekhyun’s house and come back on Sunday.

“Kyungsoo, they’ll like you, I promise.” He reassured him.

“How do you know?” He asked, a slight pout on his lips.

Baekhyun giggled as he leaned into him, “Because I know you. There is no one in this world that could dislike you.”

Kyungsoo scoffed, “I would like to think that.”

Baekhyun smiled at him and intertwined their fingers. “You are amazing. You helped me realize that it’s alright to fall in love.”

Kyungsoo blushed and looked away, “Don’t just say things like that.”

“But it’s the truth.” Baekhyun laid on his shoulder, “You healed me.”

Kyungsoo brushed away some hair from Baekhyun’s face as he leaned in to kiss him softly. “I would do it over and over again.” He whispered.

Baekhyun looked him in the eyes and gave him a small smile, he reached for him quickly and pressed their lips together again. In that small kiss, Kyungsoo knew one thing for certain, he was in love. He was undeniably in love with the idiot. And he knew, by the way Baekhyun grabbed onto him and dipped his head to deepen the kiss, that Baekhyun felt the same way about him. There was no need for words, their actions spoke louder.

The tank filled up and they went on their way to meet Baekhyun’s parents. Kyungsoo put on his sunglasses and looked out the window. He knew that this was barely the beginning of a long and happy life.  

~The End~