Starring Role

Subtle

Days pass and Jeongyeon still hasn’t begun her filming process. Once again we all gather at Three Leaves to help her out. I asked Sana why Jeongyeon even wants our participation, but Sana said it’s because the nine of us together serve as the greatest inspiration. Which is exactly what Jeongyeon needs, inspiration, considering she has yet to finalize her script. Unfortunately, to Sana’s disappointment lesbian spies were out of the question. 


    The root of all this indecisiveness are the creative differences between Jeongyeon and Nayeon. Nayeon wants a starring role, no matter what, but the character that Jeongyeon has imagined is a librarian who is under the impression that she’s having auditory hallucinations. Not the kind of razzle dazzle that Nayeon is used to. Ultimately, this leaves Jeongyeon in a tough position, because although she has her flaws, Nayeon is a talented actress. Now she’s considering rewriting her entire plot.
 

   Besides that ordeal, everyone has been assigned a role to help Jeongyeon with her project. Dahyun is collaborating with Jeongyeon for this assignment and is in charge of filming and editing. Chaeyoung has been assigned to set design. Momo and Sana are set to play the two supporting characters. Jihyo has taken on the position of the narrator. Lastly, there’s the mute two, Tzuyu and I, we’ve been given the important role of running errands in case of an emergency. We’re both background characters in real life, so it’s only fitting that we play those roles in Jeongyeon’s project as well. I can’t deny that I was offended at first when I wasn’t given a proper, useful role, but I’ll be happy to help in any way. Because although we are all busy and have our own final projects, we all have a silent understanding that this time shared together is worth it all. 
 

   My warm thoughts come to a halt when the argument between Nayeon and Jeongyeon escalates, their voices are heated, their faces red, this time isn’t like the others, this time Nayeon storms out, but not before saying one last thing. 
  

 “Honestly Jeongyeon, I was really excited to help you with this and spend time with the girls, but you can’t compromise. Good luck, but this just isn’t worth my time.”
  

 We are left with our mouths agape, it’s shocking that Nayeon would get upset to such an extent, it seems like there was something else lying underneath all her anger. Jeongyeon decides to run after her. This is not what any of us were expecting. 

    “Okay, let us just ignore that for now. Jeongyeon still has a deadline and we all have work to do. Does anyone want to take on Nayeon’s part?” Jihyo asks, it’s so typical of her to be so rational about this.

    Before any of us could reject that offer Tzuyu speaks up, “Maybe Mina could do it. She’s quiet like a librarian, she can be serious too. Also, she has an elegant way about her, the viewers would be really interested.”

    Oh my God, absolutely not. Before I could yell out my objections, Sana and Momo start eagerly chattering in agreement. Oh no, the others have joined in, asking themselves why they hadn't thought of it sooner. Mmm, I could probably think of a few reasons. For example, I’m shy, soft-spoken, a recluse, etc, I don’t even know how I have friends, but because I do have friends that I love, I feel myself giving into the peer pressure. Jeongyeon needs help and Tzuyu has never spoken up with a suggestion like this, I don’t want to disappoint her, or any of them for that matter. 

     “Um, alright, I guess I’ll do it, but Tzuyu you better help me whenever I need it. After all, it was your idea.” She smiles in response and I instantly feel rewarded. Oh Tzuyu, what have you gotten me into? 

    We all go our separate ways, Jihyo calling Jeongyeon to update her on the changes, the other girls trailing behind her. Except Sana and I, our dorm is in the opposite direction. On the walk back she interrupts my racing thoughts, “I’m surprised you agreed to a starring role so easily, what happened to being shy, shy, shy?”

    “I’m surprised with myself too, but I don’t know, I wanted to be useful. I also didn’t want to disappoint Tzuyu, she speaks as much as I do!” I reply. 

    “Fair enough. You also wanted to help Jeongyeon, right?”

    “Oh yeah. That too.” Sana shoots me a questioning look. What? Did I say something weird?

    The rest of the walk is spent in comfortable silence, while I ponder the decision I just made. Can I, the epitome of a background character really transition into a starring role? My self-deprecating thoughts are cut short when my phone buzzes in my pocket. 

From: Tzuyu
Time: 9:34 PM

minari! i’m sorry for volunteering you like that, but i really think you’re perfect for this. i know you can do it and ill be here if you need help. fighting xx

    Suddenly, I feel like maybe I can actually handle this. I turn my phone off with a smile on my face. If I have the support of silent and savage Tzuyu, I can do anything.