The Story Begins

Subtle


“Can you please get out of bed? Nayeon and Jeongyeon have already been waiting 20 minutes for us at the cafe. Mina… MINA! The game can wait!” Sana is not putting up with my antics today, which is unfortunate. One would think that she would be used to me by now, we’ve only shared a dorm room for the past two years. 

“Okay, okay, I heard you- but when I try to wake you up for your 8AM tomorrow I better not hear any complaints from you.”

“HEY! That is completely different, social gatherings are fun. An 8AM physics class with Professor Kang is dreadful.” Fair enough, she has a point, but I won’t tell her that. 

To be honest, I completely forgot that we were meeting up at the cafe today to discuss Jeongyeon’s film project, if I had remembered I probably would have been ready an hour ago. Now, I’m rushing to put on a somewhat decent outfit- dark jeans, black t-shirt, white vans, and a ponytail seem like a safe choice for now. 

Sana and I start heading over to Three Leaves, the cafe where all of us gather to hang out when we want to get off of campus. Once we arrive we are surprised to find that Nayeon and Jeongyeon have been joined by everyone else in our crew, Momo, Jihyo, Dahyun, Chaeyoung, and Tzuyu. Of course, we’re the last ones to arrive, usually it’s Sana’s fault, but I guess I have to take the blame today. I’m a bit disappointed that we arrived so late because it’s not very often that all nine of us can hang out, mostly due to scheduling conflicts. 

The nine of us met during our first year at Seoul University of the Arts. Momo and I met in the Dance Program, she helped me add power to my movements, and I helped her add grace to hers. Sana and I, obviously became friends just by dorming together, bonding over shared qualities, like being Japanese and secretly loving anime. Due to my shy demeanor, those were the only two friends I made independently, the rest of the girls I met through them, but I love them each individually. Jihyo and Nayeon are in the Vocal Program with Sana, both powerhouses. Jihyo is our mother hen that keeps us in line when we’re being too rambunctious. Nayeon is something else, vibrant, talented, and… modest, she definitely livens up our group. Jeongyeon and Dahyun are in the Film Program, Jeongyeon dreams of being a director like Tarantino or Del Toro, while Dahyun loves the cinematography aspect of film. Both have such serious careers in mind, but I cannot think of two sillier members in our little squad. Next we have Chaeyoung who is in the Fine Arts Program, she’s our little shortie, creative and intuitive and her art perfectly expresses that. Lastly, we have Tzuyu who is in the Classical Music Program, she’s a talented violinist, like me, she is the only other introvert in our group, when we go to parties I can always count on Tzuyu to hide in the kitchen with me. We’re all different, all dysfunctional, but we all love each other. 

“Guys, we are so so sorry! Someone decided that Love Live School Idol Festival was more important than us.” Sana exaggerated, garnering chuckles from the girls. 

We sit down and Sana immediately joins in on the conversation. Nayeon and Jeongyeon are currently debating about what theme Jeongyeon’s upcoming short film should be about. Nayeon is campaigning for a cliche high school love story with an artistic twist, Jeongyeon on the other hands wants to dabble with a psychological drama. I don’t understand why they’re arguing, ultimately, it’s Jeongyeon’s project, but I would never say that. 

“Why does it matter, Nayeon? It’s Jeongyeon’s project.” Tzuyu calmly states. Ah, that’s the thing about Tzuyu, she does not speak often, but when she does it’s to make savage remarks that I’m usually too timid to say. Nine times out of ten they’re directed at Nayeon. Sometimes I feel bad for Nayeon, but not today. 

“Um, because I have great input. I really have an eye for this kind of thing. Also, lets be real, I’m probably going to act in it too, so my opinion really matters.” Nayeon defends herself. 

“Nayeon, you're only acting in it because no one is more dramatic than you.” Jeongyeon says playfully.

“WAIT WAIT WAIT, guys.. I know what Jeongyeon’s film should be about. LESBIAN SPIES!” Sana excitedly exclaims. We all groan. Everyone at the cafe turns to look at us. We sigh. Classic Sana.