Moonrise

Hi, Hello

It’s the day after, late in the afternoon, and the girls are preparing a bonfire to watch the sunset. There’s a frantic rumble of commands, shouts and giggles, as Nayeon has taken the lead on the organization of the party and wants everything to be perfect.

 

Mina seems to have given up on her chores, though, as she peacefully watches the buzz from the porch.
“Hi.” Momo surprises her, taking place next to Mina, smiling sweetly.
“Hey.” Mina smiles back, and figures it’s better to look at the girl by her side than at her friends running around the front lawn, and turns around fully to Momo.
“Did you get kicked out by Nayeon too? I swear she goes crazy with parties.” The older girl asks, widening her eyes, which makes Mina giggle.
“I just kinda left quietly, no one really noticed.” Mina confesses quietly, and Momo widens her eyes even more, with an even bigger smile.
“Oh, so you ran away from duty! Nice played, Myoui.” There’s some kind of flirting in her tone of voice, and when Momo winks after finishing the sentence, Mina feels her heartbeat increase. They become quiet, just staring at each other, and then Momo sighs, resting her arms on the fence in front of them.

“And you're wrong. I did.” Momo suddenly breaks the silence, suppressing a smile as she stares at the ocean.
“Did what?” Mina is genuinely confused, and eyes her friend, intrigued.
“I noticed you were gone.” The older girl decides not to fight the urge to smile anymore, but lowers her head in embarrassment, focusing on her hands.
“Oh…” If Momo had been looking at Mina, she would have seen the cute blush on her face and the loving look the younger girl is giving her, but they’re once again consumed by silence, until Momo finally sighs and asks.
“Wanna go for a walk down the beach? Someone told me it's beautiful down there and blah blah blah, but I guess they were just trying to seduce me.” Once again, the blonde purses her lips to avoid grinning too much, and Mina crosses her arms against her chest, eyebrow raised.
“Is that what you're trying to do?” Mina asks, leaning on the fence, her eyes never straying from Momo.
“Is it working?” Momo finally gathers enough courage and turns her head to Mina, gifting her with a smirk.
“You're such a dork…” Mina scoffs. “Come on.”


Just like the night before, Mina grabs Momo's hand and drags her towards the beach, hoping none of the other girls will ask them for something.

After safely arriving at their destination, the two sit down on the sand, Mina's head on Momo's shoulder, mimicking how they’d fallen asleep. They like it this way, silently enjoying each other’s presence while watching the waves. It makes both of their hearts flutter with the comforting and familiar atmosphere.


“Do you think they'll be mad?” This time, Mina is the one to break the silence, taking Momo’s hand in hers while doing so. “The girls, I mean, that we're not watching the sunset with them.”
“Well, the sun will be here tomorrow. Wasn't that what you said?” At moments like this, Momo has always hoped her voice was as soft as Mina’s, wishing she could make the girl feel at peace with only a few words, just like Mina does to her. However, this time is different. There’s something about the way the brunette is playing with her fingers that soothes her heart, like she’s really into it.
“Right... Didn't know you paid that much of attention.” Mina speaks absentmindedly, and Momo pulls back just a bit, so she can look at the girl with an amused expression.
“On you? You should know.” Her tone of voice is bright and confident, and Mina looks back at Momo.
“Should I? Why is that?” Mina bites her lower lip after asking, anticipating Momo’s reply.
“I'd be a fool not to pay attention on you.” It’s simple, but it says it all, tugging at Mina’s heartstrings. She’s got nothing else to say, so she grabs Momo’s hand with both of hers and kisses it gently, smiling afterwards, like the other girl.

They watch the moonrise quietly, taking in each other’s presence; Mina still playing with Momo’s finger, Momo caressing Mina’s hair, and when the sky is dark, the younger girl straightens up.
“We should head back now, the girls might be worried.” Mina sounds hesitating, wanting to stay there with Momo forever.
“But it's so nice and quiet down here…” Momo whines, cuddling the girl’s arm.
“We can come back later, if you want. I promise you.” She seems to comply at Mina’s statement, who gets up and outstretches a hand to help Momo up, but the older girl ends up losing balance and tripping towards Mina, and instead of letting go, she stays there, hugging her.


“This is nice.” Momo mutters against Mina’s hair, inhaling her soothing scent.
“What is?” Mina wraps her arms around Momo’s waist and takes in the warmth in her heart.
“Holding you close like this. It makes me happy.” A flutter, the types that makes you sigh, begins in her chest, and Mina tightens the grip around Momo.
“It does?” She then softly asks, as usual, for only Momo to hear.
“Mhmm. And your hair smells good. Flowery, even.” Mina giggles, - she loves Momo’s comments, so random, honest and caring - and stares at the girl.
“What?” Momo has the exact same dopey grin on her face, and Mina can see how bright her eyes twinkle under the moonlight.
“I'm happy too. Very happy.” The older girl smiles and pulls her in, wanting to be as close as she can, and enveloping them in quietude once again for a moment or two.

“Hey, Mina?” Momo asks, feeling her heart accelerate.
“Yeah?” Mina mutters in response, with her face resting on the crook of Momo’s neck.
“Can I kiss you?” The question is familiar, very so, and Mina can feel a pang in her heart as she smiles and nods. Then, Momo exhales slowly and places the sweetest kiss on Mina’s cheek, which makes the younger girl giggle.


It’s like time has frozen and they’re in their own loop-de-loop of silly grins and bright eyes, but this time Momo knows the drill, and connects their lips together without wasting any more time, caressing Mina’s cheek with her thumb in the process.

They might as well stay there forever.