Sunrise

Hi, Hello

Mina moves around for what it feels like the millionth time that night, still not satisfied with her position and unable to fall asleep. She doesn’t know what time it is when she gets up - finally giving up on sleeping - but it’s still dark outside, though taking a good look at the sky, from her window, she can see a lighter shade of blue starting to rise in the horizon, meaning the sun’s coming up soon. Mina quietly gets out of her room, with a lilac cardigan dressed over her pajamas and a pair of slippers on her feet. When she reaches the living room, she’s surprised by another presence, already occupying the spot she was planning on resting on the porch.

“Hi.” Momo turns around, slightly startled by the sound of her voice, for she was not expecting anyone else to be there at that time.

“Couldn’t sleep?” Momo asks with a smile just as warm as how her heart is feeling with that sight.

“Kinda…” Mina approaches her, sitting on the other end of the bench. “You too?”

“Yeah…” They just stare at the empty landscape for a while, taking in the rising and falling of the waves, and how the moon is reflecting so beautifully on the water. It’s nearly full, and suddenly Mina has an idea.

“Wanna go for a walk down the beach? Sun’s coming up soon, and I’ve heard it’s beautiful down there. Maybe even more than here.” Momo turns to look at her friend and feels her heartbeat increasing with how stunning Mina looks under the moonlight.

“Sure…” She her lips.

Mina grins and grabs Momo by the hand, leading her to the beach. Momo is well aware of how Mina’s hand seems to transmit electricity to her whole body, and she’s very glad it’s still dark, that way Mina won’t see the mess that is Momo right now.

A few steps later, they stop, letting their feet be immersed by the warm water, feeling the sand tickle their toes. Eventually, the wind blows colder.

“I should have brought a coat, it’s chilly down here.” Momo says, crossing her arms. Mina, who seems to be trapped in her own world, answers, absentmindedly.

“It’s the continental breeze. The wind blows from the mainland to the ocean at night, because of the difference of temperature and pressure between them. That’s actually why the water is so warm right now; it was heated by the sun during the day, when the wind was blowing the opposite way, and when morning comes, it will be colder, starting the cycle all over again.” Mina gestures a lot while she speaks, and Momo just stares at the girl, with a fond smile on her face.

“You’re such a nerd…” Momo says, surprisingly sweet, as she sits down on the sand.

“Yeah, a nerd who remembers to bring her coat.” Mina does the same, sitting next to her.

Momo, once again, crosses her arms in an attempt to warm herself up.

“Come here, let me.” Mina starts to rub Momo’s arms, from time to time grabbing her hands and softly blowing at them. The look on her face is so serious that it makes Momo bite back a grin. No doubt she’s really fond of that girl. When Mina looks up, she realises her efforts didn’t add up to much, - Momo is still cold - and they can’t help but laugh at the situation they’ve gotten themselves into.

“Let’s just go back. We can watch the sunrise from the porch.” Mina gets up and outstretches her hand to Momo, helping her up.

“But it’s so nice here, cold and all…”

“Okay, then take my coat.” Mina says while taking off the piece of clothing, but Momo is quick to stop her.

“What? No way! I’m fine.” Mina stares at Momo, not taking her words.

“You’re freezing.” The younger girl states, almost laughing at how bad Momo is at pretending she’s not cold.

“And you’ll freeze if I take it.” Momo retorts, fixing Mina’s coat over the girl’s shoulder.

“Don’t worry about me.” Mina’s voice is soft, very so, and she shakes her head, smiling at her friend.

“But I do worry.” There’s something about the way Momo says those words, about the way she looks Mina in the eyes and grins in such a lovely manner, that makes the younger girl forget any objections she was ready to shoot, and just take a deep breath instead.

“Fine. I’ve an idea.” In a span of a few seconds, Mina grabs Momo’s hands, pulls her very close, and wraps the girls arms around her slim waist, under her coat. It’s warm, it’s cozy, it’s overwhelmingly nice, especially when Mina wraps her own arms around Momo’s neck, hugging her even closer.

Momo knows the girl can feel her heart beating fast, she can feel Mina’s too, and they close their eyes, appreciating this little bubble of affection. Momo never wants to leave this embrace, she’s intoxicated by it, from how their bodies fit so well together, to the smell of Mina’s hair. If she could, she would stay there forever.

“Momoring?” Mina’s soft voice - even softer this time - breaks the warm silence, pulling Momo away from her own thoughts.

“Hm?” She barely replies, afraid that any extra movement will ‘break the spell’ they’re in.

“Can I kiss you?” Mina’s question catches Momo by surprise, and she pulls back slightly to look at her face. By now the sun has started to rise, painting beautiful colors on Mina’s face, making it possible for Momo to read her expression: there’s excitement, curiosity, fear, lots and lots of affection. That’s why she only nods and smiles wide.

Mina smiles too and leans in, surprising Momo once again when she kisses the girl’s cheek instead of her lips.

“You really are something else, aren’t you?” Momo chuckles when the girl pulls back, and watches fondly as she bites her lips. The older girl is half a second away from leaning in and closing their distance herself, but Mina seems to regain her courage and finally connects their lips in a soft, heartwarming kiss. Once again, Momo is hypnotised by their embrace, wanting to be as close to Mina as she possibly can, wanting to mash their bodies together, wanting to get to know every little piece of Mina’s body, starting from , then everything else. Even though their kiss started shy and curious, it quickly transforms into a passionate and eager clash of lips and trembling breaths, and Momo even contemplates taking Mina right there, on the sand, under the rising sun, but opts against it, slowing down the kiss instead, until they stop completely.

“We should… We should head back. I don’t want you to catch a cold.” Mina says, caressing Momo’s cheek with her thumb, and for some reason, the wind doesn’t bother Momo anymore.

“What about the beautiful sunrise down the beach?” She asks, mimicking the way Mina spoke earlier.

“The sun will be here tomorrow, same as the beach. There’s no rush.” Mina kisses her lips once again, and that’s enough for Momo, who gladly accepts the girl’s hand and is led back to the porch.

They seat on that same bench, with a blanket covering them; Mina falls asleep playing with Momo’s fingers, Momo is lulled to sleep by Mina’s rhythmic breathing.

By the time the sun’s up, they’re both in deep slumber.