FINAL

A Fluttering Feeling

She held the object up at a shallow pitch right under her nose, and turned it slowly, appraising it from every angle. It was a shimmery red, heart shaped box with a small golden bow surrounded by the arms of a plush bear. Was it too much? Was it too glittery? Byulyi didn't really like sparkles, so maybe she should buy something else. 
Yongsun scratched her head and looked at her gift once more. She'd seen the bear in a window and immediately thought it would make a wonderful gift. Minutes later she'd left the shop with a bag in hand. Maybe she'd been a little hasty. 
Letting out a long sigh, Yongsun set the bear down on the table and got up from her chair. If she deliberated any longer she wouldn't have time to get herself ready. Looking in the mirror she surveyed her makeup-less features and almost chuckled at the thought that a short time ago she wouldn't have cared what she looked like in front of Byulyi. They'd spent years together as trainees, and later as group members, invading each other's personal space without batting an eyelash. Briefly, Yongsun’s mind dredged up the memory of her dancing stark in front of Byulyi -- the embarrassment she felt now at the mere thought made her want to curl up in her bed and stay there.
What a change in character she had undergone! Most wouldn't be able to see it, but the differences were there. In the way Yongsun’s eyes crinkled a little more at the edges when Byulyi smiled at her, how Yongsun's playful touches seemed to linger a little longer on Byulyi’s arm, or in Byulyi’s hair.
Yongsun continued carefully applying makeup to her face. She may not have cared what Byulyi thought about her appearance a year ago, but she sure as hell cared now.
After applying a trace amount of lipgloss Yongsun stepped back and admired her handy work. Her extremely blonde hair had thrown her off for a while in terms of color palate, but she was happy with her appearance. She trailed fingers through her hair absentmindedly and exited the bathroom with a bit of confidence restored.
Now to consider that bear again. 
They hadn't really discussed gifts, though Yongsun knew that she had to get Byulyi something. It was their first official Valentine's Day together and she'd be damned if she didn't do it right. Sure, they'd spent many Valentine’s Days before this one together, but that was always under the flimsy guise of “friends”.
Yongsun gave herself a final look in the mirror in the hall, and grabbed her present off the table. It was juvenile, yes, but it was too late to turn back now. She locked her apartment door, thankful that Mamamoo had made enough money to move into separate living spaces. It made her rendezvous with Byulyi much less embarrassing, though she still couldn't quell the growing nervousness in her stomach as she stood in front of Byulyi’s door, bear behind her back. 
A moment or two after she knocked the door was opened to reveal an uncharacteristically bashful Byulyi. She looked good with her red
-orange hair and large circular glasses.
“Happy Valentine's Day,” said Yongsun somewhat quietly. She produced the bear, and held it out for Byulyi to take, still a little embarrassed at the ceremony of it all.
“For me?” Byulyi questioned. 
“Duh, who else would it be for?” 
The smile that grew on Byulyi’s face set Yongsun's heart at ease. She released the bear into Byulyi's care and stepped through the doorway. 
Once inside, with the door closed, Yongsun began to take her shoes off, but was pulled back up and suddenly embarrassed. 
“Happy Valentine's Day, Yeba.”
Yongsun hugged Byulyi back tightly and blushed faintly when she felt Byulyi’s lips press softly against her cheek. “Let's put the tv on and decide what to eat. Hurry up, cause I've got a gift for you too.” 
Yongsun smiled to herself, the fluttering feeling in her stomach was not something new. It had been there for a long time in a subdued way. It had been there before they'd begun dating, before she’d even realized that anything other than platonic feelings for Byulyi resided in her heart. This feeling had grown so substantially that it was almost overwhelming at times, and as she was being playfully beckoned to the kitchen, Yongsun wondered if this feeling would ever stop growing. 
She wouldn't bet on it.