Distraction Part 1

Distraction

The day was nearing its end. The sun had left its position at the peak and is now slowly descending the horizon. Everything was silent and tranquil, the sounds of traffic fall deaf to one individual focused at the task at hand. Seulgi was just typing away at her laptop finishing her part of her and Seungwan’s thesis when Yerim, her younger cousin barged in.

 

“Unnie!”

 

Seulgi pressed the enter key and turned to look at her, pushing her glasses up.

 

“Can I borrow your laptop? Please! It's really important”

 

“I'm finishing my thesis”

 

“Oh. Can I borrow your phone then?”

 

“Can't you just use your own phone?”

 

“I would but its dead. I forgot to charge it yesterday. And I really need to email someone”

 

“Really? Is this so important that you have to borrow my phone?”

 

“Yes!” Yeri answered back, nodding her vigorously. Seulgi stared at her and gave out her phone. Yeri cheered.

 

“OMG! Yes! Thanks Unnie!”

 

“Who are you going to email anyway?”

 

“Huh? Oh, Jungkook”

 

“Yah! Chatting with that guy is that important? If I had known you were just gonna chat with this guy, I wouldn't have given you my phone”

 

“Then you should've asked. Anyway, thanks Unnie. I'll leave you at peace to finish your thesis”

 

Yeri rans out of Seulgi’s room,leaving the latter to sigh exasperatingly. She shooked her head at her younger cousin’s with a small smile gracing her features. Before returning to her job, she idly remembers how Yeri and this Jungkook fella started emailing each other. Apparently, Yeri and Jungkook’s hyung had a similar email address with the exemption of a number. Jungkook’s hyung was said to use ‘[email protected]’ while Yeri’s was ‘[email protected]’. She found it odd that a guy would have that email address but apparently it was a fake account that his hyung would use to prank their friends. How did she find out about this? Yeri never shuts up about Jungkook even as they walk to school.

 

“Aish, kids these days”

 

She went back to work but stopped soon enough when a squeal was heard from the other room. A rather loud squeal, in fact. Footsteps were soon heard which she assumed was Yeri running towards her bedroom.

 

“Unnie!”

 

“Neh?”

 

“He asked me out!”

 

“Huh?”

 

“JUNGKOOK ASKED ME OUT!!!”

 

Seulgi covered her ears as Yeri squealed yet again.

 

“Ahh I'm happy for you”

 

“Eeehhh! I can't wait to tell Sooyoung about this!”

 

“Wait, where is he taking you?”

 

“Oh, he hasn't told me yet! He says he actually hadn't thought of something yet”

 

Seulgi nodded slowly, processing the information.

 

“Okay. Tell him I'm coming with you”

 

“Unnie! Wae?”

 

“Why? Because I'm your unnie and when I say I'm chaperoning you that means I'm chaperoning you”

 

Yeri pouted and tried to convince Seulgi to not do what she was planning to do.

 

“I'm not changing my mind besides it's not like I'm going to directly interfere with your date”

 

“But you'll be bored”

 

“I'm gonna be fine”

 

“You'll be a third wheel”

 

“As if I wasn't already with Hobi and Wendy. Look I'm really not gonna change my mind”

 

Yeri pouted but then thought of something clever and decided to email Jungkook of her evil plans.

 

“Fine Unnie”

 

To: [email protected]

From: [email protected]

Hey, Kookie. Does your hyung have anything this Sunday?

 

To: [email protected]

From: [email protected]

No, why do ask?

 

To: [email protected]

From: [email protected]

Hihihi. Ask him if he wants to come with us?

 

To: [email protected]

From: [email protected]

Huh? Why? Are you uncomfortable with it being just the two of us?

 

To: [email protected]

From: [email protected]

Not really. More like my Unnie, Seulgi-unnie. She wants to ‘chaperone’ us during our date.

To: [email protected]

From: [email protected]

Oh. Let me guess, your planning on using my hyung as a distraction.

 

Ps. So now it's officially a date.

 

To: [email protected]

From: [email protected]

Spot on. Unnie wouldn't know what hit her.

 

Ps. No it's not.

 

To: [email protected]

From: [email protected]

You're evil. Lol.

 

Ps. It so is. You called it.

 

To: [email protected]

From: [email protected]

I'm not called as the evil maknae for nothing. XD

 

Ps. Whatever makes you sleep at night.

 

With that final reply, she faced her unnie with a smile. Seulgi didn't like one bit of that mischievous smile her younger cousin was sporting.

 

“Fine Unnie. Just fine”

 

Not one bit.

---

“Seul, did you finish your part?”

 

“I did”

 

“Okay, just send it to me through email”

 

With the word email, Seulgi immediately frowned. Seungwan took notice of this and poked Seulgi in between her eyebrows.

 

“What's bothering you?”

 

“Nothing just Yeriminnie”

 

“Oh? What about Yeri? Is she giving you a hard time?”

 

“No. Its just- um- well you know that she has been emailing this guy for over a year now I think? And well, last Tuesday he asked her out. And this will probably be the first time they see each other so I couldn't help but be protective over her and decided that I would ‘chaperone’ them” Seulgi said using the air quotes. “But now, I feel kinda bad. I feel like maybe I'm imposing into her life too much”

 

Seungwan nodded her head at Seulgi’s story then smiled. She smiled at her bestfriends’ adorableness of being overprotective towards her younger cousin. She truly was a bear.

 

“Aigoo. Ddeulgi, its fine to be overprotective over your younger cousin you love her so much that you had threatened to break a guy's arm before for calling her ‘ugly’. Yeri going on a date and you suddenly want to ‘chaperone’ them is fine in my own opinion. You are after all just looking out for your cousin’s welfare. Although you don't like it when I invite you to hangout with me and Hoseok”

 

“That's cause I don't like being the third wheel”

 

“Yah! We're not dating!”

 

“Yeah, let's say that”

---

Sunday finally came and Yeri was excited for a lot of reasons. Seulgi noticed Yeri’s bubbly mood and decided to not comment on it as today was a special day. They were all ready and were now about to head out to meet up with Jungkook and his hyung, which Seulgi is still unaware of.

 

Yeri was all dressed up wearing a nice purple dress with a floral print and gladiator sandals to complete the look while Seulgi decided to just be simple, wearing a plain yellow long-sleeved shirt with white jeans short and white converse sneakers. After Yeri finished applying light makeup they finally head out to the amusement park, Jungkook finally told them the destination.

 

“So how will we know Jungkook?”

 

“He told me he was wearing a black beanie, a red and black stripped long-sleeved shirt, black ripped jeans and timberlands”

 

“That's oddly specific. Also Timberlands?”

 

“Yep, his favourite. Besides I also did give him a detailed report on what I was wearing, just to make sure”

 

“Fair enough”

 

Soon enough they arrive at their destination and bought tickets to enter the amusement park.

 

“He said to wait by the entrance”

 

“He hasn't arrived yet?”

 

“It took time for them to find a spot to park their car seeing as today is sunday”

 

“Them?”

 

Yeri stared hard at her older cousin. And Seulgi stared right back.

 

“Yeri…”

 

“Umm, excuse me? Are you Kim Yerim perphaps?”

 

Yeri and Seulgi turned to see a tall boy definitely at Yeri’s age wearing the same damn clothes as Yeri described that Jungkook was wearing. So in other words, this pretty boy infront of them was Jungkook.

 

“Yes she is. Nice to meet you, Jeon Jungkook. I'm Yeri’s cousin, Kang Seulgi” Seulgi said raising her hand for a handshake. The boy accepted it despite being nervous with the stare Seulgi was giving him.

 

“Ahh yes, Yeri mentioned you quite a lot”

 

Yeri seemed to have snapped out from her thoughts due to Seulgi making Jungkook uncomfortable.

 

“Unnie, you said you wouldn't be hard on him. I'm sorry, Jungkook for unnie being to overprotective of me”

 

“Oh it's fine. I mean I would too if I had a cousin as pretty as you- I mean- well- I'm not saying that you're not pretty- I'm just saying that you are pretty. You look great by the way”

 

Seulgi crossed her arms and nodded towards the flustered boy. Yeri blushed at Jungkook’s words and looked bashfully away. Jungkook just wanted to hide, where was his hyung when he needed him?

 

Oh shoot! Hyung, I forgot about him.

 

“Kookie! There you are!” Jimin seemingly appearing out of nowhere and approached Jungkook but stopped when he noticed that the boy wasn't alone.

 

“Oh, Annyeong”

 

“Annyeong” Seulgi replied back as to not seem impolite but one of her eyebrows was definitely raised.

 

“Oh Hyung, you're here. Seulgi-ssi and Yeri-ssi this is my hyung, Park Jimin. He's the one I told you that had a similar email address as you. Jimin-hyung, this is Kim Yerim and her older cousin, Kang Seulgi”

 

Seulgi glared at her younger cousin but the latter was avoiding her gaze. Whatever, I’ll just interrogate her later. She then turns her attention to the new arrival.

 

Jimin was by no means tall seeing as he was shorther that Jungkook but he was still so much taller than her given her short stature. He was good-looking too. His outfit of choice was also working in his favor, wearing a white button-down shirt, red pants with suspenders and black converse shoes. The suspenders looked great on him, Seulgi admitted in her head.

 

“So, uhm shall we go?” Jungkook said and all of them walk further in the amusement park.

---

An hour later, somewhere, somehow they were separated. Jungkook and Yeri had run off when Yeri wanted to take a picture with a Mascot. They inevitably lost each other in the crowds but she sticked close to Jimin, not wanting to be separated from the only other person she knew here.

 

“Aish, that brat. I swear Yeri is so gonna get it later. Aren't you worried about Jungkook?” Seulgi turned to look at Jimin, who was casually walking behind her slowly.

 

“Me? No, I'm not worried about Jungkookie being left alone. He's old enough to protect himself. You shouldn't worry about Yerim-ssi that much too”

 

Seulgi just frowned at the thought and continued worrying over her. They went around the amusement and saw no sign of them anywhere. She eventually sat down in one of the benches.

 

“Nice ‘chaperoning’ skills, Kang Seulgi”

 

She closed her eyes and tried to relax.

 

“Here”

 

She opened her eyes to see Jimin holding an ice cream towards her. She gingerly accepted it.

“Thank you”

 

“No problem” he replied back as he took a seat beside her. Silence then ensued which Seulgi found awkward but decided not to say anything.

 

“I'm gonna be completely honest here”

 

Seulgi turned to Jimin when he suddenly spoke up.

 

“Yerim-ssi didn't tell you I was coming along, right?” he asked to which she nodded. “That's because they planned it. When you told Yerim-ssi that you were going to ‘chaperone’ their date she asked Kookie to bring me along. For what? Distraction. I was assigned to be distraction to you.”

 

Jimin gazed at the girl beside him and saw that she was still staring at him and not saying anything.

 

“And the reason you haven't seen them anywhere is because I keep them updated on where we are so they can avoid meeting us.”

 

Jimin feared for his life when he saw Seulgi’s glare. But then she laughed, making her eyes disappear. He was completely dumbfounded and thought she was cute.

 

“Aigoo. No wonder then. You've been a very good lookout for them”

 

Jimin blinked but then smirked.

 

“I try my best”

 

Seulgi giggled at that then stood up, stretching her arms a bit. She turned towards Jimin again, this time with a twinkle in her eyes somehow telling him that something great was gonna happen.

 

“Well then, distraction. Wanna have fun as well. I mean they can't be the only ones to have fun, right?”

 

“Thought you'd never ask”

 

Jimin grinned and stood up as well. Grabbing her hand, he drags her to a ride.

---

It was now nighttime and Seulgi was having a great day. She and Jimin were now just walking around,talking, eating Coton candy and her hugging the teddy bear he won for her. It was so much fun hanging out with Jimin, it was almost like a date. With that thought she blushed hard.

 

“Oh! Look there's gonna be a fireworks display”

 

“Jjinja? Waah Daebak!”

 

Jimin turned to her with a smirk. Heart beat-beat-beat goes her heart.

 

“I know the best place to watch it. Come on”

 

And with that he grabs her hand and leads her again. She now just notices how much hand holding they've done and she blushes again from that thought. Jimin suddenly halts from running and causes Seulgi to bump into his back.

 

“Sorry” she says meekly not making eye contact.

 

“It's okay.”

 

They didn't have to wait in line for long and soon enough they were being ushered into one of the carriages of the ferris wheel. They sat in front of each other and looked around avoiding eye contact. Seulgi was hugging the teddy bear tight to her chest hoping at least to muffle her strong heartbeat which she was thinks Jimin could hear.

 

“Look, it's starting”

 

Seulgi looked out and stared in amazement. Jimin watched the fireworks but then turned his attention to the girl he spent his day with. She was smiling as the colors from the fireworks cascade her skin in different hues. Beautiful, he thought.

 

“It's pretty”

 

“Yeah, it is”

 

He turns his attention back to the fireworks as Seulgi takes a quick peek at him then returns her gaze back to the fireworks. Her smile widens as how this boy beside her made her day great and keep her thoughts away from worrying over Yeri. She had also took notice of how messy his hair was. Probably from pushing it back too many times. She thought, giggling. For as long as she'd known him, she had realized early on how he likes to push his hair back and frankly she found the habit endearing. Unfortunately her giggling was caught by Jimin's ear and he turns to her with a questioning look. She notices his look and stares back.

 

“What?”

 

“Why are you giggling?”

 

“Why is it a crime to do so?”

 

Yes, a federal crime. Your giggles almost got me a heart attack. He thought but instead he said,

 

“No, I mean you suddenly just giggled out of nowhere. That I had to wonder if you were turning crazy”

 

“I'm not turning crazy” She said pouting and playfully shoving him. Playfully shoving him however had its consequences as the entire carriage swayed ever so slightly. They paused in ther movements and stared at each other with wide eyes.

 

“Yah, Miss Kang. You should be more careful next time” he said along with him clicking his tongue.


She blew a raspberry at him but decided to not shove him again knowing the consequences of that action. Instead she returned her gaze to the fireworks display and enjoyed the show. Jimin grinned and looked back at the fireworks display all while taking a few peeks at Seulgi.