Hesitation

Upside Down by Your Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When you went home that night, you were worried about your parent’s reactions.

It took you a little longer to open your front door and just get inside.

When you did, you saw your parents sitting on the couch watching some program on the television. There was a small space from the stairs and the living room and you just decided to sneak behind them to avoid an interrogation scene.

But as you were about to execute your plan, your father turned around.

“Seulgi is that-“

He stopped midway and you just awkwardly waved your hand and gave him a small smile. He just sat there, mouth agape for a few seconds when your mother noticed that he was no longer listening to whatever she was saying.

“Yeobo, are you even listening” she tapped on his shoulder. “I said-“

Then she turned to your general direction and did the exact same thing as your father did.

Maybe that saying about couples was true; he one that says that when a couple has been with each other for far too long, they’ll start to look like each other. Because at that moment, it’s as if your looking at two faces with the exact same expression on it.

A mixture of shock and pure wonder.

“Mom, I can explain” you said as you started to walk towards them.

“But Irene said that you weren’t going to-“

“She did?” your surprised expression managed to cut your mother off. The thought of her also messaging your mother about her disastrous plan made you even more irritated.

“Yes. And I thought that I made it clear that you could only do that when she’s with you.”

Crap.

Here comes the hard part.

“I know!” you said hurriedly as you put both of your hands in front of you as if trying to ward them off. “Believe me or not, I didn’t even want to color my hair. Honest! It’s just that-“

“Just what?”

“.... things led to one another and I found myself with colored hair.”

“Irene told me that she texted you that your plan was cancelled?”

“Yes but-“

“Irene also said that she can’t make it because she had some other things to do.”

“Yeah” you scoffed. Your parents raised their brows because you rarely did that. Before you can stop yourself, you found your voice in a tone higher; trying desperately to defend your case.

“Did she also tell you that she ditched me? Did she also tell you that she texted me just now when all is done and over? Did she tell you that she dragged me into this plan only to be left alone?”

“Seulgi please calm down” your father said in a worried tone. “Where is this coming from? We just-“

“Because you keep on saying her name and I’m too tired of hearing it all day!”

Your voice came out as a scream.

It was the first time you did that in front of you parents and you were just as surprised as them. You say your mother form a thin line with and your father just completely stunned.

You’ve completely lost it and you were lashing out on the wrong people.

The bitter taste was back in your mouth.

“I-I-I’m sorry” your voice came out as a whisper. You just wanted to disappear and just get out of there. The thoughts in your head were muddled up and your chest was full of emotions that might just explode any second more.

You bowed your head deeply.

“I’m really sorry. I’m just not in the mood tonight... Feel free to ground me as long as you like.”

You didn’t even wait for a response because you just dashed out of there and into your room.

You didn’t have the heart to slam your door so you carefully pushed it shut. It was never your intention to go off on your parents like that but a part of you is too fed up to deal with anything regarding Irene. Your head hurts along with a feeling of uneasiness in your chest.

But you can’t help it.

Even though you said that you’ve had enough.

Even though you said that everything is a tad bit too much for your sorry little heart.

Even though every bit of your being is screaming and pleading for you to stop and just give up.

All your thoughts always end with her.

Because as far as you’re concerned, you were already too far gone and half past neck deep in whatever it is that you were feeling for her. It just that you’re the only one feeling it though. You wanted her to feel the things that you feel. Not just the admiration and adoration for someone who’s out of your reach, no. You wanted her to feel all the ty emotions that plague your mind every time you see the image of the one you cherish the most with someone else. Having that one person in your heart disregard all the efforts that you give them; have her be ignored.

But that may just be the salon fumes that you inhaled earlier or the green monster inside talking smack about your sad life.

A soft knock interrupted your contending thoughts.

“Seulgi dear, are you awake?” your Mom called out. You sat straight up and faced her. She was smiling which made you even guiltier.

“Are you here to ground me? Because if you are, that’s totally understandable. I didn’t mean to lash out on you guys... I was just-“

Just what?

Frustrated because your stupid long time crush on your friend is a dead end just like what you were expecting it to be?

“-tired from the day. I-I mean, I didn’t expect getting your hair dyed would last that long...”

 Your mom ruffled your hair at your innocent remark.

“Aigoo this child” she cooed. “Your dad and I were worried so I went to check on you.”

Silence.

“It’s fine if you don’t want to tell us. We just want to make sure if you’re okay. You’re at that age where talking to us might be bothersome so yeah. We need assurance that you’re okay.”

Talking to your parents never seemed to be a problem to you. That’s why at that moment, you just wanted to pour and vent everything up to the tiniest bits. As you looked your mother straight in the eyes, you saw the worry and care that comforted you almost immediately.

Makes you want to make them feel okay too.

“I’m fine” you replied with a small smile.

Your mother pulled you in for a hug and rubbed your back.

“Good.”

After your steady talk, she bid you good night and proceeded to exit your room. She stopped at your door for a while and grinned.

“You hair suits you Seulgi-yah” she said endearingly. “Your dad admitted that he was actually stunned at how pretty you looked when you entered that the cat got his tongue.”

You both giggled.

“Thanks Mom”

“And whatever it is that’s bothering you, you’ll be able to sort it out. You and Joohyun always do.”

Your smiled faltered a bit but you managed to give her a small nod.

“Mom?”

“Hmmm? What is it dear?”

“I want to be grounded.”

Your mother widened her eyes in surprise.

“What?”

You hesitated for a bit then you took a deep breath.

“I just don’t want have extra time strolling around with colored hair” you said. “Even though I know that I look super dashing according to my awesome parents.” You added that last part with a slight cringe.

“Are you sure dear? We really don’t mind what happened earlier.”

You waved your hand in front of you as a response.

“It’s okay eomma. I don’t really have anything to do besides theatre practice. Oppa can probably pick me up immediately after. I don’t really mind.”

Your mother looked at you with doubtful eyes.

“Please eomma? I also have some upcoming projects along with the opening night for the show approaching and being grounded would really help out” you added a small pleading tone to sell your story more.

“Fine. If it helps you.”

“Thanks Mom. Good night.”

As soon as your mother shut your door, you threw yourself at your bed. You just lay there; lazily staring at your ceiling; thinking about what your mom said earlier.

“And whatever it is that’s bothering you, you’ll be able to sort it out. You and Joohyun always do.”

Even she knows that when there’s something bothering you of any sort, it always involved her. Must be the parenting instinct. You remembered that your mother was the number one anti of you and Irene quarrelling. She always had you apologize first even at times where Irene was the one who’s clearly at fault.

You bite your lip.

Screw it.

You opened your message from earlier. You can feel the thumping in your chest grow stronger as you pressed each key on your phone.

 

To: Joohyun (10:47 pm)

Happy for you two. :) Tell Suho to let me tag along next time.

ps. I’ve been grounded lol. Probably won’t be able to text you for the next couple of days. Bye.

 

You pressed send.

During the times when you fought with each other, it was always a matter of figuring stuff out with you doing all the work and apologizing. But that night, you seemed to have snapped.

Not this time.

 

*~*~*~*

 

Monday came faster than you expected.

You just found yourself eating breakfast with your family. Your dad was still looking at you with a mixture of awe and fascination. Your mother was just shaking her head at the two of you while smirking. A loud noise came from upstairs followed by some footsteps. Henry emerged looking a little dishevelled.

“Eomma, Appa, have you seen my keys? I need to get to-“ his gaze suddenly arrived on your newly dyed hair. His initial reaction? Laughter.

“Pffffffffft! What the hell happened to you?!”

“Watch your mouth young man” your mother growled. Henry immediately bowed down and muttered a small apology. He returned his gaze at you and playfully ruffled your hair. You instantly felt the jeering from the mischievous grin that he was giving you. You swatted his hand with you left hand and then stuck out your tongue at him.

“Aish! Can you not like do that? Can’t you see that I’m eating? Or are you that dumb that you can’t even comprehend normal actions.” you snarled.

“Uwa~ not only did you acquire an anime hair color, you also got the attitude of one!” he teased. You were about to shot him another comeback when your mother interrupted your brewing fight.

“Both of you stop that. You’re in front of the dining table! Where are your manners? Hurry and eat or you’ll both be late for school!”

That silenced the two of you. Even Henry took the vacant seat beside you and started to eat. When she was sure that both of your mouths were stuffed, your mother casually added, “Henry, your keys are on your dresser. I put it there last night. You take your sister with you.”

“What?!”

“You heard me. She’s grounded and you’re the one responsible for dropping and picking her off at school.”

“But-“

“No buts. That’ll serve as your punishment. You’ve been going home later than usual and you didn’t even ask for permission when you went to stay the night at your friend’s house last Saturday!”

That rendered him mum. You both quickly finished your breakfast and bolted out the door. Henry forgot his keys and rushed in quickly to retrieve them. After doing all that, he opened the car door and wasted no time revving it to life. You had to grip at the seats tightly to prevent yourself from flying off the front seat. You the radio so any chances of starting a conversation will be flushed down the drain.

But apparently, that wasn’t enough for your brother’s big mouth.

“So, dyeing the hair huh? Finally went in through that rebellious phase my dear little sister?” he went in to pinch your cheeks but you scooted a little further away from his reach.

“I just dyed my hair. You’re making it look like I’ve done something out of the ordinary-“

“Is dyeing your hair something that you usually do?” he smirked.

Tch.

“Shut up” was all that you can say.

The drive to your school was not that long and you were grateful for that. At least something went your way. As soon as you found yourself in front of the school parking lot, you quickly unbuckled your seatbelt and reached for the door. But before you could do so, Henry was holding the back of your hoodie preventing you from exiting the car.

“Yah! What do you want? I’m gonna be la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter