Chapter Four

Baby, I'm Yours!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Sungmi, look at this!" Soo Mi held up two pairs of overalls she had pulled out from the many racks of clothes at the store and giggled. "We would look like Minions!"

Sungmi laughed. "Oh gosh, let's get them!"

"I want to find a grey and black striped scarf for Namjoon - something very Gru-ish!"

"We should shave his head then!"

"Please don't get too carried away!" an alarmed Namjoon protested, while trying to explain to Byul that no, she couldn't roll around on the floor here even if she claimed to have turned into a caterpillar.

"Secret mission!" the little girl cried. "Me and Boombernickles gotta hide, Daddy! Or else die and head splat!"

"I thought you were a caterpillar?"

"Caterpillar on secret mission!"

"Oh, I think I know what the secret mission is!" Sung Mi said. "Byul, have you ever heard the story of the Very Hungry Caterpillar?"

"Hungry Caterpillar? Gotta eat then!"

"Yes! The mission was to eat a lot and a lot and a lot and finally turn into a butterfly!"

Namjoon's eyes screamed at Sungmi, and it was then that she realized she had messed up. Oops... you should not tell a five year old with a sweet tooth that eating a lot was a secret mission....

"Gotta eat loads and loads to turn into butterfly!" Byul cried, delightedly. "Mommy, gotta get ice cream and candy!"

"Sure honey, but even caterpillars need some time to digest! Don't want to get a tummy ache, do we?"

"Never gets tum tum ache!" Byul declared fiercely, and while her parents reminded her of her many tummy aches, Sungmi knocked on the door of the dressing room.

"Hurry up! We can't go to another aisle because we're waiting for you!"

She recieved a grunt in response, and after knocking on the door some more to let him know she was getting impatient, it finally opened with a click of the lock. Jin stepped out, almost shyly, in a fuzzy blue sweater over a white T-shirt, and a pair of close fitting jeans.

"So handsome!" Namjoon and Soo Mi praised, and Byul clapped her hands happily. "Mister Kitty look cozy!"

The catboy smiled, and ran his hands along the soft fabric of the sweater with a strange expression on his face. It was softer and slightly more vulnerable than any Sung Mi had seen on him before, and it made her wonder when was the last time he had gotten new clothes, just for him.

"Ok, Jin, now come and choose some sweatpants and another T-shirt," Sungmi ordered, and the catboy blinked.

"More clothes?"

"Well yeah, having just one pair to wear every day will make it dirty and smelly really fast. I don't like smelly cats."

"Mister Kitty is clean kitty!" Byul cried. "No smell!"

"Yes, honey, but we all need clean clothes to change into after bath-time," Namjoon reminded her.

Sungmi took Jin's hand and led him to the aisle where the sweatpants were, letting him look and pick out a pair of soft grey ones. They then went to pick out a Tshirt, and he chose a soft baby pink one that matched his ears and tail.

Byul was very happy he chose pink as that was her favorite colour, and she had a pink tshirt too and they could wear them together and be twins. "With Boombernickles," the little girl added.

The five then went to get Jin a pair of sneakers and some socks. Sungmi was getting increasingly antsy about the amount of money Jin was going to cost - if he was here for good it meant she needed to feed him, pay for medicines and doctors' appointments, and clothe him. Well thank goodness she still worked part time in that editors' office...

Soo Mi insisted on getting Jin the sneakers. "A welcome present!"

Much to Sung Mi's shock, the catboy seemed subdued - worryingly subdued. He didn't mention his handsome face at all, nor did he smile so obnoxiously. In fact, he seemed a bit overwhelmed and it tugged at her heartstrings a bit.

However, it all changed as random people started telling Jin he was very hansome as they went to pay. Even the cashier told him he was incredibly handsome, and anyone would be so happy to have him.

"Should be happy to have me, baby," he murmured to Sungmi. as she took his hand again to hold on the way home. "A handsome kitty like me. Ah, what to do, I-"

Sungmi shut him up by stepping on his foot, and he yowled and Byul then proceeded to scold Sung Mi. "Mister Kitty need cuddles, Aunty! Oh, Mister Kitty does you have any brothers or sisters? They come to Aunty Sungmi's house too! Kitty family!"

"Byul..." Namjoon said, a warning in his voice.

"But Daddy! Kitty's family!"

"No, I don't," Jin said - much to everyone except Byul's relief. "Do you?"

"Not yet! But Mommy and Daddy are making one. They are making a baby brother and he will be Boombernickles!"

It took all of Sungmi's willpower to not burst into a cackling fit of laughter and friends about making babies. Oh, the things she wanted to say! But no, she should think of something really sad to keep from laughing. Like her grandma's sick dog that she always dressed in a frilly white hat... that was really sad... except the sick dog kept farting so it was getting harder to not laugh....

"Byul, we don't know if it will be a baby brother or sister," Soo Mi explained gently. "And Boombernickles won't be your baby brother. We talked about this, sweetie-"

"Boombernickles is a genie and I wished for him to be my baby brother so hurry up and make him!" Byul explained logically. "I been waiting for a hundred years!"

Namjoon caught sight of the evil glint in Sung Mi's eyes and mouthed, Don't you dare say a word!  Byul sure was something, she reflected fondly. It was a really good thing that Namjoon and Soo Mi were patient parents, though... she knew there were many who would be irritated by Byul's endless energy and perhaps even squash her vivid imagination, especially since it sometimes led to catastrophe. Byul would certainly grow up being very much loved.

It took a while for Byul to say goodbye to Mister Kitty, but eventually she went home contentedly, walking in the middle of her parents', holding their hands and babbling in her cute singsong way.

As soon as they were indoors, Jin promptly tried to take off his pants.

"KEEP THEM ON!" Sungmi yelled. "What's wrong with you?!"

"But they hurt!" he pouted, ears drooping. "My tail hurts so much now!"

 Oh. Right. Maybe tight fitting jeans wasn't the best option for a catboy, even though he wanted them because they made his "handsome legs look more handsome."    

"I'll cut a hole in the new sweatpants and you can change into that. Don't you dare take off your pants!"

Jin's tail flicked in irritation, but he obeyed, whining for her to hurry up. Within twpoo minutes, she handed him the modified sweatpants and ordered him to change in the bathroom, which he did.

Good. He was listening to her. This would be the perfect time to lay some ground rules; she had to establish herself as soon as possible and make it clear that he could not do as he liked here.

"Thanks, baby," he said, reappearing and seeming very content with his tail swooshing. "Much better now."

"Good. Now, Jin, can you read?"

He shrugged, but then nodded. "Why?"

"We're going to set some rules, and I'm going to write them down so you can read them when you need to be reminded."

Jin pouted again. "But baby-"

"Sit here." Sungm

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter