No, not Her!

Jackets, Silver Rings and Colored Hair

I.

Maybe it was the way the sun hit Mina's eyes, or the way her alarm left its ringing sensation in Mina's ears, but she knew that today just wasn't her day. With lids tightly shut, she swung her arm over her body, hoping it would actually hit the darned electronic.

Too bad. She missed.

Mina, pissed off and with a throbbing right hand, urged her body to lift itself and eyes to open and actually shut the alarm properly lest she gain another hurt hand, and god knows she didn't want another. Why was she even up? Glancing at the digital blinking numbers, she discovered it to be a little bit past six am. Why?

Oh. Right.

Memories immediately flooded her mind. Memories of yesterday. An audition. An offer. A leading role. The main act of the biggest concert in the history of her company. Right. She needed to practice. She needed to choose a song today... but most importantly... She still needed an accompanist. 

Oh... and maybe her two japanese friends took her out for a "few" drinks. Which was probably why she was so annoyed in the first place. Hangover, huh. Wrong decision on a work night. She just had to find a glass of water... and some aspirin. That stuff helps.

Right.

Mina slapped her forehead before getting up to do her usual routine. And another most importantly. It was something that should ne'er be forgotten in this changing world, but always forgotten anyway. Mina could never fathom why people would forego such an important part of life... Breakfast. She's never skipped it, and she is definitely not starting now.

Well, at least this could be a turn for the better.

----------------------------------------------

Wrong.

Oh was she so wrong.

Needless to say, breakfast wasn't all that Mina thought it would be. First, she burnt her food. She never burns her food! Second, they were her favorite coffee crumble pancakes! Third, She dropped her lucky dish on the floor.

Not how she defined a better day.

Changing into business-casual wear, she looked into her dead-beat eyes, hoping to find some motivation for the day in them.

Nope, I've got nothing.

"You can do this, right Mina?" She sighed, finding she could not believe her own words.

Oh she was already dreading how it could get so much worse.

---------------------------------------------------

Mina hated how right she was.

Seated front-row in the auditorium, listening for the sound of her potential pianist to her grand solo, Mina rubbed her temples, frustration ever growing. She wanted to throw her Americano at each person that came out from backstage. She hated Americano anyway. Why couldn't cafes make a blend for someone like her... like a japanese-o or something, she didn't know.

Just why couldn't anyone meet even seventy percent of her standards? That was pretty generous considering how strict  their company usually was in finding outside accompanists. Sure, Mina could have hired someone from the same place, a friend, but she had no clue who were the booked ones and who weren't. After all, this was a company thing. Hence, the open audition.

She regretted it. So much. So many boxes were unchecked, so many papers marked red. And they had wasted a good six hours of horrid "music" away.

"Mina..."

"I'm fine." She replied to the worried look her friend, and sometimes partner threw her way.

Park Jihyo was an amazingly talented singer. Made Mina wonder at first why she didn't get the main act until Jihyo said she wanted to try being a stage director or manager or something else this year that Mina couldn't bring herself to remember at the moment. She tried to give a reassuring smile, but apparently Jihyo only saw her cringe, her light laughter telling Mina so.

"You are, aren't you?" Jihyo teased, getting closer to Mina to help massage her temples and lessen her headache. "Got to say though, these new gen pianists are so... lacking. Inadequate. How do they fare on a regular basis, I wonder?" She gave a sigh, feeling pity for these unfamiliar, young faces.

Mina hummed in agreement, shutting her eyes and allowing herself some rest while waiting for the next dreaded applicant. Maybe she should cut it after this and try around with her colleagues. Something she wished she had done in the first place. She wouldn't be so stressed if she did.

"Oh?"

The tone from Jihyo got Mina's attention, the girl immediately straightening up in her chair, eyes opening. What kind of presence came in to garner her companion's attention? 

Denim.

Jacket and Jeans. A white, wildly printed shirt and converse. Bright rainbow hair- dishiveled. Rings. Multiple rings. Was that a tattoo hidden on her ankle? What the-

Mina's eyebrows furrowed, ready to reject the girl in one go. Was this person even an applicant? What was she doing in the theater? But somehow she couldn't speak. Why? What was it that was stopping her. Strong feelings swirled in her, caused by the the unknown. Her eyes were drawn to the chocolate orbs that were cold and scrutinizing the screening team. As if she could see through them, know them, scare them. Mina didn't like that. Nor did she like how the girl stood there, an angry aura surrounding her.

"Umm, excuse me, are you lost?" One of the other (brave) present staff who served as judges (Mina totally forgot they were there) asked the short, porcelained skin girl. (Damn her skin was white, Mina thought.) "This is an audition for classical pianists... for a-"

"I know." Her sharp eyes told the staff to shut it. Immediately. They were mono-lidded, intimidating, emotionless like her entire face was, dark and... warm? Mina was intrigued. Why did she think so? Something was off, like a switch flipped deep inside her, trying to remind her of something she did not know. "Why else would I be here?" The voice brought her back to real-time, to the situation taking place.

"I'm just... I'm sorry... you just look-"

"I look the way I want to. Not the way I play." She responded with a scoff, biting.

Rude much?

Somehow, something in that girl just pushed the wrong buttons on Mina, and believe me, there were only so few buttons left to push before she would finally blow ever since she woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

"Then how do you play?" Mina challenged, somehow riled up. She didn't know the reason as to why. She just was. 

Eyes met hers. A tense gravity flowed between them, Mina could not look away even if she wanted to. Her eyes widenede at the smirk she was thrown and the gruff grunt given before the connection was cut.

The pale girl said nothing as she took a seat in front of the instrument- pairs of critical, judging eyes on her. No way could such a character check any of the criteria off anyone's list. Especially not Mina's

-----------------------------------

Jihyo's jaw was dropped. And that wasn't a sight you could see usually. She wasn't one to be so awe-struck or amazed. She saw it everyday, Talent. She was talent. But really. Who in the world is this person?

Mina clenched her hands, teeth gritted. She was angry for judging prematurely, purely based on outward impressions, but she could never deny what her ears heard. A piano genius.

Her eyes circled the silenced hall, eyes wide, jaws dropped, every box ticked off on the list. No one dared speak, not even the performer herself. Mina could only wait for someone, anyone to make a move. And the lady in denim finally decided to take it upon herself to move them all along.

"So?" It was the only word she said, her eyes trained on every spectator, locking on to Mina's for a few seconds, burning her. A brow raised, maybe getting impatient.

Was it the attitude? The addition to her bad day? These odd unlabelled feelings that suddenly intruded her hung-over mind? Mina didn't know. But she couldn't help the words that came out.

"Not you. Next!"

-----------------------------------------------

"Mina, what was that? Really... that- that... that girl, you know who I mean, she was brilliant! Maybe a bit rough around the edges, and not to put down our little baby cub, but you know she was something! Something that could largely contribute to the main-" Jihyo was cut off by a hand, the pair stopping their frantic walk to the parking lot.

"I don't know, okay? I'm just... today is kinda rough. I don't know why. I just feel so... pissed. Chaengie will do great, we will practice together, that's final." Mina said.

In the end, she opted to choose a close friend working in the same theater company. Son Chaeyoung. She was lucky someone familiar and with satisfactory skill auditioned, or she would have gone insane. The girl was gifted in the arts, and though she only took piano a few years ago- being a stagehand for far longer than they had known each other, Chaeyoung improved in leaps and bounds. At least she could play better than the rest of the applicants. And Mina liked her. Her attitude better than some magical piano prodigy dressed as some juvenile teen. (Really?)

"Mina..." Jihyo shook her head, sighing all the way. "Really, this isn't you. You're... you're shy and humble, and quiet... and penguin-y! What's wrong?" The older girl held her in place, not allowing her to walk away.

Mina didn't dare look into her eyes. She kept her back to her friend, not wanting to be in this conversation. She wouldn't know how to reply anyway. Not when she couldn't quite put a finger on why she was so against hiring the rainbow-headed pianist.

She heard a defeated sigh as she was finally allowed to move, planning on walking back home instead of taking the bus. 

"I'll drive you home." She turned to look at her friend, smiling softly. It made her smile back.

"Thanks Jihyo."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mina clapped her hands, hoping the sounds she made could reach the ears of the little girl on stage. Her music struck Mina in inspiration and delight and a warmth she couldn't describe. As an aspiring singer, seeing a fellow youthful talent give her all for the passion on the stage, Mina was thrilled. Her heart leapt up in excitement.

It was beautiful.

The stage.

The sounds of her piano.

Her. She was beautiful.

As she took a bow, Mina watched her retreating form, going behind the stage to maybe hug her parents and receive more praises for her outstanding performance. It was at that moment, when the little girl came back out to give a bow of thanks to her resposive audience that their eyes met, and Mina decided. Young as she was, she knew.

She will be my pianist, and I will be her song.

_______________________________________________

Mina woke up, feeling better than yesterday, up before her alarm rang- set for eight am this time. Mina looked around her well lit room, at the coziness of her abode, thinking of what to get for breakfast. 

Her appointment for the first practice and orientation was still at ten so she had time to kill as it was only seven fifty-three in the morning. Lots of time to herself. So...

Breakfast.

-------------------------------------------------

After a very lovely breakfast, and an even lovelier shower, Mina went out at nine-thirty, planning to grab some coffee on the go before heading down to the studio for practice.

As she stepped in the shop, she was greeted by a morning wrecker.

-Or so she thought.

"Welcome, may I take your order?"

"You-"

"What? Are you gonna reject me this time too? Do I have to audition and let you know how I make coffee?" Those eyes spoke, a tiny ounce of mirth tucked away in that gaze. A playful smile caught her off guard. This unfamiliar aura assocciated with the worker. Mina could not believe it. This could not be the same pianist from yesterday!

"N-no." Mina stood there awkwardly, not knowing how to act. She was back to her usual self, and didn't know how to explain her actions yesterday. "I-"

"Do you perhaps have a twin sister? Singer? Kinda Haughty? and a hottie..." The last part seemed to be mumbled quietly by the barista to herself.

"What?" Mina asked in confusion, still stunned by the appearance of her piano genius, rejected.

"I was joking. You just seem... different today? I don't know?" Mina didn't seem to know either, still blank as a slate, quietly staring at the girl's features, as if she were trying to engrave them into memory. "Miss Myoui?"

"Y-yes?" Miss Myoui. She kinda liked how it sounded coming from those lips. The lips that were moving, yet silent. Damn, she was distracted. It kind of irritated her in a way. This girl was getting her into knots.

"Order?" The words finally registered and she looked up into eyes and not lips. She had totally forgotten her business here, and blurted out the first thing that came to mind- just like yesterday.

"One A-ameri-"

"You don't actually like that stuff do you?" She got cut off. Eyes twinkled at her, laughing softly and that calmed Mina down and surprised her, and only then did she notice the different hair color. What was once burning colors was now blue and yellow-tipped brunette hair. Strange choice. 

Still, getting cut off was a no-no. Somehow it irked Mina.

"You assume that because?" Mina regained her composure, a brow lifted, not in a way that was, well, stuck-up or anything, but simply curious. "Why would you hold someone's order from them?

"Because, Miss Myoui, "Mina could certainly get used to getting called that by this young lady. "You looked like you wanted to throw your Americano at me yesterday and wouldn't regret it one bit." The barista chuckled, going to the back and preparing a drink. Mina just stared and watched her, also in awe at the personality change. The thought bothered her so much. It needed to come out or she would think about it trivially for weeks.

"So does your personality change along with your hair?" She blurted out accidentally. There was a pause in the air. A pale face turned to her and for a moment, Mina was afraid she had offended her. "I'm sorry, I-"

The joyous laughter that greeted her assured her that it was fine, the girl wiping a tear from the corner of her eyes. "Damn, you are a funny lady." A cup was handed to her, her name, Miss Myoui, (well kinda her name, yeah) scribbled in cute, neat letters. "Here you go, enjoy the drink and see you later."

See you later? 

Before she could ask, the next person was being served and she was out the door, a current of people pushing her away.

She realized something. She hadn't placed an order, nor payed for her coffee! What- Looking back, the cafe seemed to be popular as customers were lining up and if Mina joined them, her wrist watch told her she would be late for rehearsals. Glancing at her cup, she noticed on the side opposite her name, a note was written.

I guess I owe you a cup for my attitude yesterday. Complimentary coffee :)

Mina didn't want to accept it, but she guessed she had no choice. Gratefully taking a sip from the unknown, a smile spread across her features. 

It was a latte.

Sweet.

Hopefully her day would be too.

------------------------------------------------------

Is this what she meant by 'See you later'?

MIna was fuming. Not only was she confused, she was ashamed because Chaeyoung got involved and she was just as clueless as to why there were two pianists in her rehearsal room, and not one. This was certainly not what she expected when she opened the door, her younger friend tagging behind her, both revved up for practice, motiviating and encouraging one another to be the best main act ever!

-That is, until mono-lidded eyes greeted them a surprised good morning.

What was with this situation? Mina felt like she was being spun in circles. Why and How-

Jihyo!

Somehow said woman heard the internal cry and popped up just in time.

"Mina? Oh! Everyone's here!" Jihyo came in, oblivious (or at least acting like it) to the tension that had settled in the room after the encounter.

"Umm, Yes, everyone and another one." Mina was obviously referring to the colourful girl in the leather jacket, seated at the piano while Chaeyoung stood beside her, about to ask why she was in Mina and Chaeyoung's practice room.

"She's your pianist." Jihyo said it like it was the most obvious thing in the world, stating it factually.

"Umm, no, Jihyo. I thought Chaeyoung was my pianist." Mina spoke, nerves heightening. She didn't know what was going on, but she had already called and arranged with Chaeng! She couldn't just send her away, even if this new girl was actually quite pleasant as company- as she discovered, and had the skills of a prodigy. She had a word of honor... and a contract!

"So why is Dubu-unnie here?" Chaeyoung tried to keep Mina from strangling a clearly guiltless Jihyo.

"You know her?" Mina and Jihyo both asked, surprised at the lack of reaction from the little cub when she was supposedly being replaced. Their spat halted temporarily in favor of hearing the other girl out.

"Well, we kinda... yeah we're friends... from the past." The way she explained that made Mina suspicious. For now, however, she had to disregard that and turn back to the elephant in the room.

"Jihyo, explain!"

"Well, the boss was actually at the auditions yesterday." Mina's eyes widened at the revelation. Jihyo actually looked nervous. "It's his word."

Well, Mina understood where her friend came from. And if the boss actually heard... but still- this was her choice to make! Compatability and chemistry was an issue! She couldn't just-

Her internal contemplations were broken by a chuckle and a small smile that ticked Mina off for, once again, an unknown reason. 

"I take it that everything is settled?" The pale girl spoke up. Mina realized she had never gotten her name. At the moment, she didn't really want to.

"Get out."

"What?"

The room was frozen at the response, not expecting it at all from the graceful lady. Usually patient and kind, shy but friendly.

"Minari?" Chaeyoung was confused as well. "I'm actually okay with the swap, I mean-"

"No Chaeng, I chose you. Not her." She told the youngest, before directing her gaze to the now blank-faced pale girl whose smile had dropped. "Not you. I made a decision. Respect it."

Jihyo bit her lip, in guilt, frustration and worry. Worry for Mina, for the two little pianists, for herself, and for how the boss would take this in.

"It's that or no Main act by me."

Jihyo's mouth opened to voice out her reasons, but Mina stopped her with a glance. They continued their little staring contest till they were interrupted by the indirect cause of this chaos.

"Just why do you hate me?" A voice spoke to Mina and she thought her heart would break in guilt at how it sounded. "I just needed a job." With that, the pale girl left the room, shutting the door quietly behind her.

"What exactly happened between the two of you yesterday?" Chaeyoung decided to ask. "I've never seen anyone hate Unnie at all! She's a ball of sunshine and happiness and the sweetest, kindest little Knight! Mina-unnie, what's wrong?" 

"I... don't know either. She just bothers me." Was the quietest reply. Mina then walked out for some air. She needed to think. Why was she so stirred-up. Jihyo tried to catch up to her. This wasn't the Myoui Mina anyone knew. This was a whole new Mina. Overwhelming just as much as she was overwhelmed with herself.

"Mina. Mina!"

A/N: So? Continue?