H O S P I T A L

The Day
Please log in to read the full chapter

2

Hospital.

{Byun Baekhyun}

According to English literature, blue is the colour of sadness.

Baekhyun would disagree. To him, the real colour of sadness is white. Without sound. Without sight. White is definitely a shade of sadness.

When the boy wakes up, all he can see is white. Mixed within the areas, there lies a dull shade of blue- barely noticable to his blurry eyes. It's quiet where he is- body laid down flat. He feels unexplainable pain, throbbing in the corners of his body. Baekhyun looks around the room as best as possible, squinting against the daylight breaking through the curtains. 

A hospital?

His heart monitor beeps quietly beside him- the only thing assuring him of his life. His bed has been closed off between curtains, so the Byun assumes that he must be sharing a room with some other patients. Footsteps resound softly against the tiles, until his curtain is pulled aside gently. Baekhyun blinks- trying to identify the person. 

"Oh? You're awake!"

The Byun tries to rise from his position. A sharp pain swallows his senses whole, and all he can do is wince. The person immediately rushes over to his side, holding his arm and back for support as he lifts the man. Baekhyun furrows his eyebrows at him- clearly confused.

His eyes are brown, just as Baekhyun's own- but something about them were different. Large and entrancing. His body is built- like one of a man in his twenties- muscular and tall. His hair looks to be a dark shade of brown in the sunlight, but in the dark, it appears black. Baekhyun watches as the man smiles- revealing his dimples.

"Thank you..." 

"Ah, sorry, I haven't introduced myself," the person finally realizes as he pushes the red button beside Baekhyun's bed- calling the nurse. "I'm Park Chanyeol... your dad's... partner's.... son." As he speaks, Chanyeol looks up, drawing a sort of web in the air with his finger to trace out their relationship. "I was supposed to come over for dinner, but um, when we got there- there was a call- you know what, nevermind."

Baekhyun's mind is too fuzzy for him to be able to ask what the Park was even going on about. Where were his parents? 

"Where's... that guy?" Baekhyun finds himself asking, only to get a confused look from the ravenette across from him. "The guy... from the car."

Chanyeol's eyebrows furrow, lips parting as a nurse walks in. She looks up from her clipboard- eyes widening when she sees Baekhyun. Clearly, she was surprised by his awakening. 

"Ah, you're awake." She says, eyes darting toward his heart monitor. "I need to check your vitals. Do you know your name?" 

"....I...Byun... Byun... Byun Baekhyun."

"Good. Do you know the date?" 

Baekhyun shakes his head, putting a hand to his temple as his features curl up in confusion. She nods, writting something down on her clipboard. The object suddenly seems eerie. The nurse reels in her small cart of medical instruments, picking up the blood pressure monitor and wrapping it around Baekhyun's arm cautiously. "This is going to hurt," She warns. Baekhyun nods in a daze as the band gets tighter and tighter against his bruises, making him wince. Chanyeol finds the need to rest a supporting hand on his shoulder despite the fact that they don't even know each other. Her machine beeps- displaying his numbers across the screens. 

"Do you know this man?" She asks, pointing to Chanyeol. Baekhyun nods.

"Chanyeol."

The nurse looks at the Park, waiting for his nod of approval. "Good. You were in an accident, Mr. Byun. It's been two days,"

Baekhyun furrows his eyebrows, looking around the room. His neck burns with the movement. "Two days?"

She nods, sticking the thermometer under his tongue before he can even properly open his mouth. They wait in awkward silence until it beeps. She takes it away, throwing the removable cover into the trash before returning it to the previous position in the cart. "You were unconscious,"

The information was too much for Baekhyun to even process. She moves on from the subject quickly- asking him where he felt pain. There's a fleeting thought of is a nurse supposed to comence her job in such a fashion?- but the questions disappear into the crevices of his mind. He looks between her and the clipboard as she jots down his pains. Chanyeol watches from the side, occasionally turning away to type something on his phone. 

"Well, I'm just going to tell the doctor, and we'll see. You may be able to go home soon, but I can't be sure." She doesn't sound convincing enough for the thought to be taken seriously.

The Byun can only offer her a small nod. She smiles as he thanks her- watching as the nurse disappears behind his curtains again. Only him and Chanyeol remain- the silence between them echoing throughout their small area.

"Where are my parents?" Baekhyun asks, rubbing his jaw. It burns at his touch- bruised due to his collision with the window. Secretly, Baekhyun wishes he could have met with Chanyeol in a different circumstance. With the man in his proximity, he feels uneasy- even more so now that he has a bruised body and a giant bandage wrapped around his head. It wasn't the best situation to make a nice first impression. 

"They just left with my dad to go get some food. They'll be back soon. Until then, I'm watching after you."

Why? The brunette itches to ask. He doesn't even know this guy. Sure, they had played together when they were both seven or eight- but times have changed. Baekhyun was not someone who had plans to get along with his father's friends or his distant relatives- and thanks to the man's sarcastic, playful personality- it didn't seem like they had any plans to, either. The fact that his parents decided to leave him with a man such as Chanyeol makes him a little on edge. 

"You can just leave," Baekhyun tells him, tracing his fingers across the scars of glass left along his arms, "I've woken up. I don't need supervision."

"You can't even get up by yourself," Chanyeol fights, getting to his feet as Baekhyun throws his own legs over the edge of the bed cautiously. He grabs ahold of the smaller as he reaches out for his IV pole. Baekhyun narrows his eyes, smacking his support away. Chanyeol falters before stepping up to the man, eyeing him. "Look, my dad told me that I was in charge of taking care of you and that's all I'm doing. Why don't you just settle down? You're not in a state to be walking."

Baekhyun wants to say that he's wrong- but the man is not. His feet ache and his head spins- if it weren't for the IV pole, he would be down. Being in a state of sleep for two days did take a lot out of his body. The bag of fluids on his IV jingle along with his movements. "Look, Park," Baekhyun starts, calmly. The eyebrow Chanyeol perks up at his name makes Baekhyun's skin itch. "I know you want to please your dad or whatever but I'm just going to get some water. I'll be back."

Chanyeol looks to Baekhyun's shivering fingers, his posture that depends on

Please log in to read the full chapter