Chapter 4

Precious Love (SaiDa au)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun dribbled the ball down the court. She assumed her pointguard position and analyzed the defense.

2-1-2 Zone Defense.

Jeongyeon walked forward and was guarding her. Dahyun started to dribble the ball with care now. She knew Jeongyeon is fast and if she's not careful it would definitely be a turnover.

"Okay Eagle, let's see if you still have what it takes to go against me." Dahyun smirked at Jeongyeon's challenge. She scanned the court quickly and passed to an open Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung dribbled the ball between her legs and split 3 defenders in a flash and drove to the ring.

"Son Chaeyoung 2 points!" announced the sportscaster of the school. The cub and eagle high fived each other and were running to the other side of the court. 

"Nice lay-up Chaeng! Jeongyeon must be fuming now." Dahyun said joking around with Chaeyoung. 

"You think Mina saw my drive? I hope she did. I didn't go too fast right?" Chaeyoung looked at the direction where Mina and the others were seated. The cub caught the shy girl's eyes and shot her a smile causing Mina to look down for the nth time today. 

"Stop flirting Chaeng and get your head in the game." Dahyun gave Chaeyoung a light hit behind the head. Mina saw this and laughed at Chaeyoung's annoyed reaction. 

The duo were getting pumped up and so was the crowd. The attention was now on the current team players.

"Yah tighten up that defense! Don't go easy on them!" Jeongyeon barked to her teammates. The competitive unnie hated that her dongsaengs got on the board first but at the same time proud because they still had synergy after all these years.

Jeongyeon inbounded the ball and called for a play. "Alright we're on offense. Let me see some energy!" Yeri came up and provided a screen for Jeongyeon. The team captain drove towards the ring only to be stopped by a running Chaeyoung.

"You're not gonna score that easily unnie." Chaeyoung looked at Jeongyeon's eyes, crouching slightly to balance herself with her left hand pushed forward ready to guard the older.

"You sure you want to guard me? We're a bit mismatched don't you think?" Jeongyeon then eyed the cub up and down. Chaeyoung huffed a deep breath. The unnie once again took a stab at her height and she was not thrilled about it.

"If you're so confident then come and try to pass me unnie." Chaeyoung challenged Jeongyeon and the latter gave her a smirk. Okay. If that's what you really want cub.

Jeongyeon then started to speed up her dribbling and was driving to the basket. Chaeyoung focused on the ball too much that she didn't see Jeongyeon's teammate, Joy, cut in behind her and blocked her from catching up to her unnie. Drat. It's another screen. Chaeyoung mentally cursed herself for making the mistake and tried to catch up but Jeongyeon was fast. The team captain easily made a finger-roll after evading the defense.

"Yoo Jeongyeon 2 points!" The crowd went wild. But out of the sea of people, there was one person shouting her lungs out, "YAH THAT'S MY GIRLFRIEND! GO JEONGIE!~". Nayeon was up on her feet and cheering for her love. Jeongyeon definitely didn't miss the sweet gesture of her partner and blew her a flying kiss while jogging to the other side of the court. 

 It was only the first points of the game but amazing speed, agility and technique were already being shown. The energy of the people watching seemed to parallel that of an actual inter-university game. The cheers were deafening and the players were going head to head.

Chaeyoung inbounded the ball to Dahyun and gave her an apologetic look. She knew she messed up letting Jeongyeon get fired up and scoring over her.

"Don't worry about it Chaeng. We'll get it back." Dahyun encouraged Chaeyoung and called for a play. She saw that Jeongyeon was coming in with Yeri to double team her, the eagle thought quickly and spotted an open Ji-A and passed her the ball. Trying to get into a better spot, Dahyun cut through the court but couldn't seem to shake Jeongyeon from guarding her. Chaeyoung saw Dahyun struggling to get free so she ran to her hoping that her defender would get confused and switch with Jeongyeon. The cub's plan worked and Dahyun was able to get free just beyond the 3-point arc in the pocket corner. Dahyun asked for a pass and once she caught it, everything was set and done.

Dahyun looked at the ring, bent her knees and propelled herself off the ground. The space between the ground and her feet made her look like she was floating. When she felt like she was at the apex of her jump, she flicked her wrist back and released the ball aiming for the basket in one fluid motion. These were the type of shots Dahyun was confident in. The shots that she knew there was no way she'd miss. She rarely misses a shot because of intense practicing and also because she was naturally gifted at the game. But she knew this shot was going to go in because she was inspired. Because she made it for her. This is for you Minatozaki.

Dahyun landed on her feet with her right hand still in the air forming a post shot position. She watched as her shot penetrated the basket. "Kim Dahyun 3 points!" the whole gym went into a frenzy of cheers and screams.

 Dahyun turned to Sana and pointed her finger at her while winking, sending the latter butterflies in her stomach. The cute Japanese girl was giggling like a school girl and earned her a tease from Momo and Nayeon.

"Look's like Nayeon unnie and Mina's not the only one getting attention from the players." Momo nudged Sana who was still in her little bubble. 

"Oh come on Momo, you're just jealous because nobody's flirting with you." Nayeon teased Momo. 

"As long as there's jokbal in the cafeteria, I'm happy as I am unnie." Momo replied while sticking her tongue out. 

The game continued to get more intense. No one from both teams were letting up. The fact that this was only a try-out game seemed like a lie as everyone was giving their best. Each time Jeongyeon's team would score, the crowd would cheer up into a roar and Nayeon would shoot finger hearts at the team captain. In return, Dahyun would either call for a play with her team, synergize with Chaeyoung for the cub to score or simply take it upon herself to earn points for the team. Sana also cheered for Dahyun as loud as her cute high-pitched voice could. She kept her promise to the pointguard and hoped that it was enough to get her pumped and get through the fatigue.

The first half ended 40-43 in favor of Dahyun's team. Both teams headed to the bench to catch a breath and gulp down water or their energy drink. Everyone was exhausted from playing at full power. Chaeyoung sprawled on the floor tired from all the running and from constantly bickering with Jeongyeon about her height when she was guarding her. 

Meanwhile Dahyun remained quiet while sitting at the end of the bench. She was gauging if she was still fit to play. She knew she just took her medicine and that she wouldn't have to take it again in a few hours but the thought of her blacking out earlier was haunting her. She checked her heart rate and drank a lot of fluids. The pointguard closed her eyes and put her head down. You're gonna be fine Dahyun. You have to be. She's watching you now. Dahyun looked up and stole a look at Sana. The latter was giggling at something her friends were saying. Seeing Sana's smile was enough to take away the fatigue Dahyun was feeling. It was if  Sana was her energizer and she appreciated that the girl kept her promise and was cheering for her.

A loud whistle pierced through the noise of the gym. It was the start of the second

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter