Chapter 17

Precious Love (SaiDa au)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



The lights were set, the instrumentals were on point and everything was in place during the rehearsals of the Theater Department. Jihyo and Nayeon had just finished with their vocal number and it was now time for the dance performance of the Japanese line. The show was shaping up to be a success with the tremendous talent of the girls. Things are going smoothly for the performers on stage but Dahyun couldn't say the same for the people with her waiting for the rehearsals to finish.

"Would it kill you to lean down a little? I can't see Mina with your giant head and ears in the way!" said Chaeyoung as she shouts to get Tzuyu's head down to get a better view of Mina.

"It's not my fault you're short Chaeyoung-ah. Now shut up cub!" Dahyun groans at the antics of her roommates. It's been three weeks of watching the girls' rehearsals and the pointguard couldn't wait for Sana to finish.

"Yah if your tiny hadn't kept bothering them in the middle of their practices we could still be sitting by the front row with Yoda, Jeong and Jin." Dahyun snarled while shoving Chaeyoung away from her.

Due to Chaeyoung's antics of trying to spoil Mina, the baby beast kept interrupting the dancer line's rehearsals. It was either she would start handing out food, water or just randomly come up the stage to wipe off Mina's sweat. It was the last straw when Chaeyoung decided to start an argument on whoever was the best dancer out of the Japanese line. The Japanese trio had to come down from the stage and pull Dahyun, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu apart to prevent them from hurting each other more. Needless to say, Jihyo had banished Dahyun and Chaeyoung to the back part of the auditorium altogether ever since. Tzuyu was spared since she only tried to get in between the immature duo.

"How's the view there pipsqueaks? to be you guys!" Jeongyeon shouts from the front seats.

"You're joining them tomorrow there if you don't stop yelling Jeongie." the team captain immediately clams shut and proceeds to enjoy the perks of being seated in the front, much to her dongsaeng's displease.

After what seems to be an eternity for Dahyun and Chaeyoung, the rehearsals were finally finished and Chaeyoung went straight to help Mina with her bag and other things.

"Cubby you don't need to carry everything, I'm just tired, not disabled you know." Dahyun rolls her eyes at the endearment Mina has made to call Chaeyoung. It has been about a week since the two became official. The small guard managed to attain Mina's sweet yes when she rented out a whole arcade just for the two of them and a candle-lit dinner afterwards. Chaeyoung sealed the deal when she gave the ballerina an elegant painting of herself dancing on-stage. A product of the baby beast's intense focus on Mina's captivating expression and features while performing.

It has also been a week of non-stop jeering from Momo and Jeongyeon, telling Dahyun to finally ask Sana to be her girlfriend. 

"Well will you look at that, everyone seems happy with their girlfriends!" says Momo as she side eyes Dahyun.

"And boyfriend!" Jihyo chides in as she raises hers and Jin's intertwined hands in the air.

"Yes Jihyo, we're aware that you're straighter than an uncooked spaghetti noodle." Jihyo just rolls her eyes at Jeongyeon's remarks and proceeds to walk hand in hand with her quiet boyfriend.

"Leave Dahyun alone Momoring. She's taking her time getting to know Sana. Unlike someone who just disappeared for a moment and ends up forcing a beautiful tall Taiwanese girl to be her girlfriend." Nayeon seemed to have hit a nerve as Momo buries herself into Tzuyu's long and slender arms.

"Yah I didn't force Tzuyu to be my girlfriend, right Tzuyu-ah?" When the Taiwanese didn't answer right away, Momo gave the cutest pout and hung her head. Soon the raccoon felt soft fingers lifting her chin up and she was looking into serious but loving eyes.

"You may have forced me to say yes but I never regret staying with you unnie. Now smile. I really like it when you smile." And just like that Momo was a blushing mess. The others couldn't see it because she always kept a cold and serious expression but Tzuyu was really happy that she had Momo in her life. They contradicted each other's personality but when it came to love, everyone saw that they were the perfect fit.

All of them were seated in Jeongyeon's coaster van headed towards the team captain's mansion. It was their usual hangout place after the rehearsals since Jeongyeon's parents were away most if not all of the time doing business in different parts of the world. When they got to the Yoo Mansion, each of them had already claimed a spot to chill and relax in. Jeongyeon and Nayeon headed upstairs to go change their clothes (or do something naughty because Dahyun swears that Jeongyeon comes down panting and disheveled everytime.), Chaeyoung and Mina were in front of the giant plasma TV with PS4 controllers in hand, Momo and Tzuyu were by the balcony enjoying the fresh cold night air, Jihyo and Jin were occupying the sofa while talking about student council issues while Dahyun and Sana were lying by the floor playing a round of Jenga.

The group had ordered pizza and were waiting for it to arrive when Jihyo received a call that made her face scrunch with worry. "I see. There's nothing more we can do I guess. I hope he can recover fast and soon. I'm sorry this had to happen to him ma'am." Jihyo ended the call and was walking back when she bumped into Nayeon, telling her the bad news.

"I just got off the phone with one of our member's parents. Specifically Heechul oppa's. He got into a cooking accident and he has burns on his fingers. He won't be able to play the piano anymore for rehearsals and even for the performance Nay. What're we gonna do?"

"I don't know. Chullie oppa was our only pianist. We don't have anyone to replace him with."

Chaeyoung looked up at the two girls. She didn't mean to eavesdrop on their conversation but Jihyo's voice didn't sound like she was being discreet about it either. Heck it was louder than the voice of the avatars the penguin and cub were playing.

" Unnie if you're looking for a pianist you already have one." The two vocalists turn their attention to the smolbean and raises their eyebrows.

"You know it's impolite for kids to listen in on adult conversations." Jihyo ruffled Chaeyoung's hair and smirked at the cute small guard.

"I'm sorry unnie but your voice wasn't exactly kept to a minimum. And as I said, you already have a pianist. Someone who already knows all the pieces in your production by heart"

"I'm pretty sure we know all of our staff and I can bet Jeongyeon's car that we don't have another pianist." Chaeyoung grins and a smug look is plastered on her place. She puts the controller down and Mina finally turns her attention to her tiny girlfriend and unnies.

"Jeongyeon's car you say? Car as in her beloved Mustang?" Nayeon just rolls her eyes and dangles the keys in front of Chaeyoung, confident that Heechul was in fact the only one who could possibly play the piano and know all the numbers to play for the musical.

"Come with me ladies. I'll take you to your pianist."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's gonna fall over white stuff. You're finally gonna lose this time."

"The only thing that's gonna fall here unnie is your jaw when I finish this turn."

Dahyun was slowly and carefully pulling out a Jenga piece from the bottom half of the tower. The pointguard's monolidded eyes were fixed onto the wobbling structure as she tries not to topple it over. The intensity of Dahyun's focus was palpable in the air. It was as if there was something priceless on the line and the pointguard just had to win. Just a little more and we'll be done. She was so close to pulling out the block when Chaeyoung barges in and catches her by surprise.

"Dubu-yah! I got something to ask you."

Dahyun's whole body jerks and the tower comes toppling down with Sana jumping up and down, elated that she had beaten Dahyun for the first time in 4 games. Dahyun groans and takes a deep breath. In her mind she has already decided that she'd kill Chaeng with the wooden Jenga pieces before finally turning to her.

"I swear you're gonna be eating food through a straw you small mushroom head!" Chaeyoung bolts away from the angry tofu. They run around the house before bumping into Jeongyeon who was coming down from her room. The three return to the girls with Jeongyeon gripping the duo's earlobes.

"OW. OW. OW."

"HYUNG LET US GO!"

"How many times do I have to tell you both no running in the house! The last Ming vase you broke cost me my vacation with Nayeon. Now are you both gonna make me tell you again?"

"No unnie."

"She started chasing me out of nowhe-OW! Okay no need, no need!" Jeongyeon finally lets go of her dongsaengs' ears and the two let out an irritated groan. The duo's ears have turned a bright red and Jeongyeon was indeed proud of her work.

"Now why were you both playing tag here in my house? Aren't you both too old for that?" Dahyun gives Chaeyoung sharp daggering looks that she hides behind Sana for safe measures. In one breath, she tells everyone about the Theater Department's saving grace.

"Dahyunknowshowtoplaythepianoandcanplayforyourproduction."

Eyes turn to the pointguard and even Dahyun herself was stunned. Jeongyeon gave Chaeyoung a death stare and that's when the cub realized that she messed up. Chaeyoung you idiot.

 "What did you say?"

Jihyo steps up and explains to the whole group the unfortunate situation they have themselves in. The whole production relied on the pianist as the main music accompaniment. In short, no pianist, no production. So now with begging and despearate eyes, the calm leader looks to Dahyun, "So can you play for our performance Dahyun-ah?"

An internal storm was writhing inside of the pale girl. The thought of playing the piano brought up so many good and happy memories that turned into a painful past. She felt like the wounds she thought had healed were being pried open once again. Dahyun momentarily pushes the sad thoughts to the back of her head, together with the tears that were threatening to come out.

"I'm sorry you guys but I don't play the piano. Not anymore." Dahyun takes a moment to glare at Chaeyoung. A glare so piercing that it causes the cub's knees to quake in guilt. "And I expected you of all people to know that Chaeyoung." Dahyun walks away from the group, melancholy enveloping her own being now that flashbacks of the memories she had tried so hard to forget.

Flashback

"Okay now press this key after this one then glide your finger over here." Dahyun held the girl's soft hand placing them over the white keys. Giggles echoing through the whole room as Dahyun tries to teach the girl her part of the song. Everyday after school they would go straight to Dahyun's house and stay in the music room, getting lost in their own sweet bubble.

The girl tries to play what she was taught, only for them to end up laughing when she hits the wrong notes. "This won't work Dahyun-ah. I'm not any good as you can see."

"I can see and hear that Mimi-yah. But don't worry you look cute when you try your hardest." The girl buries into Dahyun's arm and they stay like that for a while.

"Can you play me that song again please cupcake? The one you always play when you warm up?" The girl pouts and blinks her sparkling wide eyes, knowing that Dahyun was weak to her aegyo.

"You want to hear Melting again?" The girl only nods in response and excitedly waits for Dahyun to start playing.

"You know when I'm a famous songwriter and pianist I'm gonna get paid a lot for just performing one song." says Dahyun as she raises her eyebrows up and down while placing her palm out to the girl next to her.

"Well you aren't famous yet Dahyunnie so get to playing." Dahyun pouts and retracts her hand when she feels a pair of lips on her cheeks.

"I can only pay with that for now but when you do hit it big, don't forget me okay?"

"How can I forget when you're gonna be with me through it all, right Mimi?"

"Of course sweetheart. I'll be with you through all of it." She gives Dahyun another kiss on the cheek and the latter starts to play. Sweet melodies fill the whole room up until Dahyun's last note. When the pale girl finished the song she looks up from the ivory keys to her girlfriend's watery orbs.

"Why are you looking at me like I'm going to leave you? I'm not okay? I'm gonna get better and when I do, I'll play this song for you anytime you want."

"Promise Dahyunnie?"

"Promise."

That was the problem though because Dahyun wasn't the one who left. Dahyun was the one who got left behind. Now all she has is a promise left unfulfilled because she didn't have her anymore. Ever since then, Dahyun has stayed away from pianos and keyboards altogether because she is only reminded of the broken promises. Be with you through all of it my left cheek.

End of flashback

As Dahyun walked away, Chaeyoung tries to go after her only to be stopped by Jeongyeon.

"You're not exactly her favorite person right now. I'll go talk to her. Stay here and think about the next time you run your mouth." Chaeyoung could only nod. Jeongyeon was right. She didn't think her idea through and forgot all about Dahyun's past.

"I'm sorry Jeong. It's just that I see her fingers move on their own when we watch the girls. It was amazing watching her shadow Chullie oppa's playing. I thought that she was fine with playing again. I thought she already moved on from her."

"She has Chaeng. I see it in the way she looks as Sana. It's just that some things from the past hurts no matter how much time passes or how much you try to forget it. You don't miss her? She was your bestfriend as well."

Chaeyoung turned her head away. She did miss her friend. She missed her a lot but Dahyun was more important, Dahyun needed them more than ever that time. The fact that their friend had the nerve to leave them behind altogether, broke Chaeyoung's heart and trust.

"We were all hurting seeing Dahyun suffer like that but we stayed by her side Jeong. She chose to leave like a coward, even if she was the one that Dahyun needed the most."

"You could never know how she felt Chaeng. She had it worse than all of us, I can't even imagine what I'd do myself if Nayeon and I fell into the same situation." Jeongyeon lets out a light scoff when she she thinks about her girlfriend.

 "I can't even bear to see Nayeon cry when she bites her tongue, what more when she's telling me that she wants the pain to stop. That everything hurts. It was like that for her everyday for a almost a year Chaeyoung. We will never know how much it must've been for her to see Dahyun like that."

Silence enveloped the two up until Jeongyeon messes up Chaeyoung's hair. They both chuckle and Jeongyeon tells Chaeyoung to go back to the others before they think something is wrong. The team captain then heads out to talk to her other dongsaeng, not before grabbing the 2 beers on the table, a choco pie and a small pack of oreos. Prove me right Dubu. Prove me right that you've moved on.

----------

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter