Main Character

Turn the Page
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi's POV

If I were to make myself as a character in a book, I'd pick to be the main character. Because being the main character has its perks: you get good things coming your way, you're important, and you get a happy ending. Sorry for my optimstic perspective of life, but I do believe that we should always look on the bright side of tthings.

Over the summer I decided to volunteer in a hopsital near my school, I have only one life in this world (I don't believe in reincarnation) so what better way to spend it by helping the unfortunate. I expected to work in a room with lots of patients and doing simlpe stuff like fetching them water or talking to them; however, the one's in charge told me to help just one girl so I headed towards her room, 329.

When I entered the room I see a girl, around my age, sitting on her bed reading a book. She had fair white skin and long black hair, you could say she was a living snow white except way prettier. She doesn't seem to notice my presence so I knocked on the door, that seemed to startle her and she turns her head towards my direction but she wasn't looking directly at me.

"Hi, I'm Kang Seulgi! I'll be looking after you starting today. Nice to meet you..." I glance towards to clipboard hanging on the bed and read her name. "Bae Irene." I give off a big grin as I walk towards her standing near the window near her bed. (I was standing to her left) However she doesn't turn her head to look at me but continues to stare at the door (which was to her right).

"Hi, Kang Seulgi." 

"Umm, I'm here actually." I state and Irene looks at the voice before apologizing, "Sorry, you see I'm blind."  She waves her hand infront of her eyes.

Oh..... that made me feel bad, I should've learned more about who I was watching over. I look down on the bed and notice to see a book that had no words and realized that it was in braille. 

"Would you like to read me a book?" She asks calmly. I blink because I don't know how to read braille but by the silence I've given Irene laughs.

"There's a book on the table that isn't braille, I'd like you to read it for me. I'm not so good at reading braille yet."

I follow her words and pick up a book called 'The Little Prince.' I start reading the first chapter to her but before I could continue to the next she tells me to stop. She asked me again to re-read the chapter which leaves me confused. The first chapter barely had any words and was only 2 pages long.

"I like the start of this book, talks about how blind some grown ups are when it comes to imagination and simple things. Come on let's go outside!"

"Are you afraid of growing up?" I ask her, she shakes her head in reply and Irene says "I'm not afraid of growing up but I am afraid of forgetting of what being a child is like. Do you see those grown ups talking about work all the time? That's not a life I'd want to live."

She smiles as she stands up from the bed and holds out her hand which I take. Irene can't walk by herself without someone with her. I walk with her throughout the hospital and I describe her the things that we're passing.

This was the routine whenever I came to visit Irene, I'd sit beside her bed and read the same chapter again a few times before accompanying her to walk. Despite the same things we do, I found fun in this and it never fails to make me smile.

 

School started already and I couldn't wait to see my friends again, they were Joy, Yeri, Wendy, Rose, Jennie, Lisa, and Jisoo. Nobody knows this but I have this major crush Jisoo since forever. We've been friends the longest and we've often hang out. And since its the start of school we were given a half-day so we decided to spend it together and we headed to the karoake. I have forgotten about visiting Irene today, but there's nurses and other poeple to help her today right?

 

I'd go visit Irene after school hours but I had to spend less time with her due to all the studying and assignments I had to do. Irene was saddened at first but she didn't seem to mind anymore. "At least you still visit me, I'm happy with that."

I wish I could tell Irene how beautiful she looks, I'd tell her time to time but she keeps laughing it off telling me that I'm blind (ironic since she's the one that is). She'd asks me about school and I gladly tell her about my time, it always seems to make her happy. I'd tell her the things we learned, my time with my friends, and about anything really. Irene asks alot of random questions like "Do you think if someone stretches their back daily they'll grow taller?" and "If the earth were to die where's the last place you'll go?"

Amazingly I spend more time with Jisoo nowadays, which i don't mind at all, in fact im overjoyed with what's happening. Jisoo herself can make me smile no matter how sad I am. Her smile, her laugh, anyt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter