One (Alternative Ending)

Two years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Elegant, regal, poised, reserved, and respected. That is Bae Joohyun for you, or rather known as Irene. Born with a golden spoon on , she has been taught, trained, and prepared to inherit the technology empire of the Bae clan; a dynasty of the 21st century, if people were to describe it. As young as she was, she never had the time to just simply lie on her bed and slack off, spend a good day with her friends, or find herself a lover. Business, business, and more business. That's where her world revolved, for 11 years. Due to her experiences and training, she was known to be the perfect daughter of the upper class society and her family was more than proud of her.

Yet here she is, stuck in the middle of an empty highway with a car that suddenly broke down, asking help from her best friend, Kim Yongsun.

"What am I going to do?! I can't call father and make him paranoid again."

"Then how are you going to get out of there? Byul and I can't go all the way from Seoul to wherever you are right now even if we wanted to. You don't even know what part of the country you're at right now! Why did you even used that car in the first place when you knew it was very old and was bound to break anytime?"

"I'd never give up mom's car! Now enough of that! What am I going to do right now?!" 

"Check your GPS. It might tell you where you're at."

"I tried. The signal is too unstable."

"How about--"

And Joohyun's phone went dead. Too frustrated of what happened, she began to shout and cry. Stuck on a highway in some part of the country she doesn't know where and her cellphone just happened to run out of battery, she started to lose hope. She cried and cried, until she felt someone stand in front of her, handing her a handkerchief. She examined the person from head to toe, only that she couldn't see the face because of the helmet that the person was wearing.

"Who...who are you?"

"Why are you crying?"

"I...I can't answer your question if I don't know who you are. You could at least show me your face and tell me your name."

"Take the handkerchief and wipe you tears first. I mean no harm, I swear."

Still skeptical about the stranger, she looked at her for a few seconds before gently wiping the tears that were falling. As long as I don't sniff it, I guess I'll be fine she thought. The stranger started to take off her helmet and Joohyun couldn't help but stare at the person in front of her. She's a woman who resembles a bear, but still looks gorgeous in her opinion.

"Kang Seulgi." She said as she extended her hand.

"Irene." She smiled a little and returned the gesture.

"A beautiful name, just like the owner of it. What seems to be the problem?"

"Um... my car broke down."

"Oh, I see. I'm not a mechanic, but I've had a number of experiences with that kind of problem, so would you mind if I take a look at it? Maybe I could help."

"Sure."

Seulgi went to check the car, and after a few moments, she went back to Joohyun's side

"It seems that there's a problem with your engine. It's actually huge and needs to be repaired, so I suggest that we'd call a tow truck."

"Can you call? My phone just died a couple of minutes ago."

"No wonder you became a damsel in distress. Sure thing."

"Before you do, I would like to ask. Um... where are we right now?"

"Oh, somewhere in the outskirts of Daegu. We're actually near there, so we could bring your car to a mechanic and have it fixed. Don't tell me you haven't been to Daegu."

"About that..."

"You haven't?!"

"I grew up and only stayed in Seoul! I actually haven't been visiting any provinces."

"Based on what you've said, I'd say you're hell rich, but I don't care about anything related to that. Gold digging was never my thing."

"Um, thanks, I guess."

"So you haven't actually seen what Daegu really is?"

"Yes."

"Good, because it's a place that you'll love to live in, no matter what status in life you have."

"You sound like a tour guide."

"I only speak the truth."

"Let's see if what you've said is really true, miss Kang."

"Very well."

They sat across the street, not talking much, but Joohyun enjoyed Seulgi's company, even if it was the first time they met. Time passes, and they've reached Daegu and talked to the mechanic. The engine needed to be replaced, and it would take a week for it to be completely fixed. She decided to pay for the repair and have it delivered after.

"How do you find it here?" Seulgi asked as they were eating on a cafe nearby.

"No kidding, it's really nice. Even the food here is good."

"Tastes like home?"

"Even better than home!"

"You make it sound like you have a terrible cook."

"It's true! The food tastes bland that's why I oftenly eat at restaurants."

"There are plenty of places that serve excellent home made dishes in Seoul! I can even take you to one of them if you'd allow it."

"Who knows, you seem to surprise me."

"I'd say the same with you. Do you have any relatives here?"

"No."

"Then I'll take you back home. I can't just leave you here to wait for your car."

"Don't worry. I'll be fine. There are probably decent places here to stay for the week."

"I won't take no for an answer. If you don't trust me, that's fine, but I will still make sure that you reach home safe."

"And you know that riding in your bike isn't safe."

"I'll drive slowly, I promise."

"If you harm me or do anything to me I swear I won't let you get away with it."

"Yes mam."

The ride to Seoul was silent. Both of them never uttered a word or striked a conversation. Joohyun never trusts anyone this easy or accept someone's help, but for the first time, she felt like a princess coming home to a castle with her prince. Seulgi was perfect. She was way better than all those men standing-in-line asking her out for a date. She needed to tell Yongsun about this. How she wished the ride would never end, but here they are, in front of her house.

"Thank you so much for the ride, Seulgi. I really appreciated your help and your short tour."

"No problem, and thank you for letting me drive you home. I hope to know you more, miss Irene."

"I hope to see you again."

"Me too."

Joohyun slowly walked up the door and looked back at Seulgi for the last time. She wanted to ask for her phone number or arrange a second meeting with her, but she was too scared to risk it with her father. She waved her goodbye and went inside. Good thing her father wasn't at home, and was too busy to ask her where she was. She rushed to the nearest window just in time to see her drive away. How she wished she did something, and now she was bound to suffer a sleepless night.

~

"Hey Yongsun!"

"Don't hey Yongsun me! Byul and I were literally freaking out the moment you went off the line! Why the hell didn't you bring a power bank with you?! You barely know any place in Korea except from Seoul, yet you dare wander around?! How did you managed to get back home without your car?"

"That's why I called you. Someone saved me!"

"Someone? A stranger?! Do you want me to kill you Bae Joohyun?! I thought you were smart enough to figure things out on your own, but to trust a stranger?! I can't believe you! That's--"

"Calm down! I really forgot that you are worst than father when it comes to nagging me, but hear me out for a while, ok?"

"Ok, now spill. Tell me everything"

She told her bestfriend every single detail, from the time Seulgi gave her the handkerchief up to the time where she waved goodbye to her. 

"Are you sure that this Seulgi you're talking about is trustworthy? Goodness, she might do anything to you!"

"I didn't give her my number, don't worry. I don't think she'll do anything bad. If she had the motive, she would have robbed me while we were in the outskirts or drove me anywhere to kill or me, but she didn't. She even showed me around when we were in Daegu!"

"You'll never know. Anyways, where are you right now?"

"I just bought some ramen at a convenience store nearby."

"If your father finds out about your addiction to instant ramen, he'd flip."

"I know, but can you blame me? Even you couldn't stop eating it!"

"Fine, I get your point."

"Very good."

~

It was late. Everyone in the house and the whole neighborhood were fast asleep, except for Joohyun, who was suffering her 5th sleepless night of the week. She couldn't stop thinking about a certain woman who swept her off her feet the moment she saw her. How she wished that Seulgi would come to her like what Romeo did. Just then, she heard something hit her window. It was a stone covered in a crumpled paper, she went to her balcony to see who threw it, and by surprise, it was the person she was thinking of. It was her number in the paper, along with a short instruction asking her to call.

"Hey."

"Hey, miss Irene."

"It's late. What are you doing here?"

"I told you that I hope to see you again, and this time, I'm never letting this opportunity go."

"It's very dangerous Seulgi! Get out of here before anyone spots you!"

"Change into something comfortable and call me when you're done."

"What?! Seriously, what are you up to?  Are you going to kidnap me?!"

"Just trust me."

"Fine, but only this time."

She was overjoyed that Seulgi went back for her, but it was also the first time that she would do something risky. She is fully aware of the danger, so she thought it out a bit. Was she worth the risk? Is trusting her worth it? And all she hears from her heart is a capital YES. Her late mother always told her to follow what her heart says and don't mind her father. He will understand. After g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter