Masterpiece

Masterpiece
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoongi’s shaky fingers clasp around the brush. He only sees color in front of his eyes. His eyes feel heavy drooping every second but his hands won’t stop with after on the canvas.

Yoongi doesn’t even realize that it is way past 2 am when he finally stops. His fingers feel stiff. Yoongi moves away and looks at the picture and within a second he tears it off stomping it with his feet.

Yoongi stares at the remained crumples of the paper that he had spent almost a week now but it was all futile now.

With a sigh, Yoongi reached for the now ice cold cup of coffee and sipped it down in all go with disgust. He could barely stand up as he bent down to clear out the mess he had created. In about 5 minutes he manages to just clear enough space for him to fall asleep.

Yoongi falls asleep with his hands that still vaguely smell like the paint and the unwashed smelly hoodie that he really needs to stop wearing.

 

 

 

Yoongi is already sat in his chair looking around the empty room. He is usually always the earliest to arrive to class and with time to kill Yoongi is listening to music his hands twirling around a pencil as slowly the class starts filling in and people take their seats.

A whole ten minutes later the instructor enters the class. Yoongi removes his headphones and sets them aside.

The instructor clears his throat and takes a deep sigh. Yoongi edges forward.

“So class,” he says. “Today I have something a bit different”

“We will be learning life drawing,” he speaks before clearing his throat.

The instructor’s voice always scratchy no matter how many times he clears his throat, Yoongi thinks to himself.

“I’ve got a model in,” he says. “You will be sketching the model”

“Before anything, I want you to all be professional about this,” he says.

 The whole class nods.

The instructor nods and leaves the room only to return with a boy who is only wearing a thin white robe.

“He will be your model for today,” the professor says.

Yoongi looks at the model who doesn’t look older than 20. He has dark hair that falls on his forehead and he looks scared almost as his eyes keep moving everywhere.

“We are going to begin now,” the instructor says and he looks at the model who with a little nod removes the robe standing completely in front of the class. His cheeks seem red.

“Sit down,” the instructor says. “Like the way, I showed you”

The model does as he is told sitting with his legs crossed his chin resting on his palm, his expression neutral as he looks at the wall.

“You guys can start,”

Yoongi reaches over for his pencil and tucks it between his teeth as his eyes gaze over the model’s body taking his time to study it, not in a sleazy way of course starting from his jet black hair his warm brown eyes, his very prominent collarbones and his hands the left one tucked under his chin the other one casually rests on his thigh, the curve of his thin waist his toned stomach and many moles that litter his skin.

Everyone around him has already started but not Yoongi his eyes stay on the model’s body and for a brief second the model’s head turns just a little and now he is directly looking at Yoongi a questioning look on his face. Yoongi realizes he must look like a creep staring at the model like that as he removes his pencil from his teeth and begins sketching.

Yoongi realizes how hard it is to sketch a living person as opposed to some mere object. It’s hard as Yoongi’s hand fails to move in a smooth manner that it usually does. He struggles to capture the model’s face the smooth lines of his jaw. Yoongi sighs in frustration. Everyone else around the room seems to be doing okay everyone except for Yoongi who crumples the fifth paper in the past half an hour as he starts over again.

“Time for a break,” Yoongi hears the booming voice of the instructor. Slowly the room is filled with the clatter of pencils and light murmur and shifting of stools as everyone leaves the room. Yoongi is the last to leave and he notices the model now robed staring at his phone.

Yoongi immediately leaves for the washroom. He turns the tap and splashes his face with the cool water. He shouldn’t have stayed up last night as he can barely focus. Yoongi takes a cigarette from his pocket and places it between his teeth lighting it. He takes a long drag and lets out the smoke already feeling relaxed as he took a drag again. Suddenly the door opened and in came the model who took a look at Yoongi before heading to one of the stalls. Yoongi stood there finishing his cigarette as the model came to wash his hands.

Yoongi took a long last drag coughing a little.

“Hey,” he heard a voice, low and manly. It was the model looking at him.

Yoongi looked at him.

“Do you uh happen to have a spare cigarette maybe?” he asks.

Yoongi nods very slowly fishing out a cigarette from his front pocket and handing it to him who places it into his mouth still looking at Yoongi.

“Are you gonna light it or…”

“Uh yeah,” Yoongi mutters under his breath as he takes out his lighter and lights the cigarette in the model’s mouth.

He watches as the model takes a long drag and sighs as he lets out smoke.

“Thank you,” he says to Yoongi.

Yoongi just nods as he tosses the cigarette in the trash can and leaves the restroom walking to the room again sitting on his stool. There are a fair few people coming back to the class. Yoongi listens to the music until the class finally fills in and the model returns with the instructor. He disrobes himself and sits in the similar position from before.

Yoongi’s hands move at a much faster pace than they did before as he sketches the model who is once again staring at the brick wall in front of him but twice their eyes meet and the model looks away in less than a second.

Yoongi is done almost but for some reason, he doesn’t like the end piece at all. Yoongi can’t quite keep a finger on what it is that makes it look not good enough but Yoongi has long given up now, his hands aching begging him to stop.

Five minutes later everyone puts their pencils to stop and the instructor walks around looking at their works. The model has left already wearing his robe, Yoongi watches his feet walk almost gracefully on the tiled floor and the creaky door shuts behind him.

“Yoongi,” he hears the instructor’s gruff voice. Yoongi sits up straighter as he sees the instructor eyeing the sketch. He can’t read his expression.

“Good one Yoongi,” he says.

Yoongi nods as the instructor moves on but as he stares at the sketch it doesn’t look good at all.

A few minutes later the class is dismissed. Yoongi walks out the sketch tucked under his arms already dreading his shift at the local coffee shop.

Yoongi walks on the pavement music booming through his ears. He sees the vehicles zoom by waiting to cross the road. The light turns green and people start walking when Yoongi notices a flurry of white zooming by directly to the direction of the boy walking in front of him. Yoongi reaches out grabbing the boy’s elbow pulling him back. He topples over the pavement falling and so does the boy.

Yoongi groans under the boy’s weight and he hears a low grunt as the weight above his body shifts. Yoongi looks up to see the boy and it’s none other than the model blinking at him as he holds out his hand in front of Yoongi. A few seconds later Yoongi takes it standing up not breaking eye contact.

“You saved my life,” the boy says in a soft low voice.

“Uh…,”

“Thank you so much,” he says a smile breaking out on his face.

“It’s no big deal,” Yoongi says when he notices there’s a little crowd of spectators.

Someone asks if he is okay Yoongi just nods as he starts walking again crossing the road and when he looks back he sees the boy still on the other side of the road looking at him.

Yoongi turns his head back.

 

 

 

The next day Yoongi barely makes it on time to class running in the hallways to his class. He slept in late today and is already ten minutes late.

When he finally reaches he opens the door making a loud creaky noise and just about everyone is looking at him including the model the one from yesterday sat in a different position.

“I’m sorry,” Yoongi says.

The professor only nods as Yoongi makes his way to sit down. He opens his bag taking his pencils out when he drops them down and they all roll down on the ground towards the direction of the model.

Yoongi who is embarrassed beyond measure bends to pick them up one by one and finds the model looking at him and it’s especially strange because he has never been this close to a stranger. Yoongi however quickly goes back to his seat but the model still has his eyes on him.

Yoongi begins sketching his hand moving smoother than the day before but it is nowhere as good as he would like it to be. Yoongi sighs in frustration as he works on the shadow when the instructor creeps up behind him.

“This is not bad Min,” he says humming away as he moves to the next student.

Yoongi doesn’t feel the same way as he looks at the sketch and back the model. He is so beautiful his soft features while Yoongi’s sketch can barely bring out the beauty in it. He can never be so good at sketching a person.

When the class officially ends Yoongi makes his way to the washroom to fix his hair. He has to rush to his job to a fast food corner and it was one long walk that Yoongi doesn’t wish to make but he is especially low on funds. It’s hard living as an art student in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Yoongi runs his hand through his blonde hair that has roots showing, a salon appointment is imminent but Yoongi’s wallet says no. Maybe he can get one of those cheap box dyes from a grocery store but then again he won’t love going bald…

Yoongi makes his hair stay flat and leaves the washroom when he hears a voice.

“Excuse me,”

Yoongi turns back to see the model fully clothed in a T-shirt and ripped jeans.

“You left this,” he says his eyes on the sketch that Yoongi did of him.

Yoongi holds his hand out but the boy stays put his eyes still on the painting.

“You drew this right?” the boy asks.

“Uh yeah…,” Yoongi trails off.

“It’s beautiful,” the boy says. “I mean…I’ve never seen any of the sketches the students drew for me but this is so beautiful…you make me look so beautiful”

The boy looks almost as if he is close to tears. Yoongi quite frankly disagrees.

“Thanks,” he mutters.

The boy looks at Yoongi’s stretched out hand.

“Oh I’m sorry,” he says handing Yoongi the canvas paper.

Yoongi only nods as he turns around to leave.

“Thank you for saving my life yesterday,” the boy says.

Yoongi doesn’t say anything back.

 

 

 

 

 

“Yah Yoongi, any new lady in your life?” Namjoon asks his eyes not moving from Seokjin who is dancing with Jimin and Hoseok.

“Namjoon, I came out to you ten years ago,” Yoongi says exasperatedly.

“Uh uh, I meant man,” he says.

It’s understandable that he is distracted because when Kim Seokjin is around Yoongi’s best friend can barely function.

“What were you guys talking about?” Hoseok asks sitting down sweat glistening from his body.

“Namjoon here was asking me if I’ve got a new lady in my life,” Yoongi says.

Jimin who sits down on the arm of the chair of Hoseok’s chair laughs out loud.

“I know, hyung the only lady you have in your life is your canvas,”

“Hey, shut up,” Yoongi grumbles as he watches Namjoon silently hyperventilating as Seokjin sits beside him. While most people gain an immeasurable amount of confidence after drinking it always had the opposite effect on Namjoon who got even more nervous than he already is around Seokjin.

It’s a mess.

“Taehyung’s here,” Hoseok says.

Yoongi looks to see Taehyung waving at them. Behind him, Yoongi sees a boy and it’s none other than the model who also looks at Yoongi at the same time stopping dead in his tracks.

“Jungkook,” Taehyung says taking him by the hand and dragging him.

“Guys, this is Jungkook,” he says. “My friend from Sociology class…I think you guys met him already”

Jungkook, the pretty model has a name now.

“That was Bogum from Psychology,” Jimin says.

“Ah, was it?” Taehyung asks.

Taehyung introduces everyone one by one. Jungkook nods and smiles his eyes darting to everyone like a deer in front of bright headlights but it lingers for long on Yoongi.

“Sit down Kookie,” Taehyung nudges him.

Jungkook only nods sitting down next to Yoongi which just so happens to be the only empty spot but he maintains a good amount of distance twiddling his thumbs around in his lap.

Yoongi sips on his beer. He is the slightest bit tipsy and being drunk means Yoongi does things that he often ends up regretting which is exactly what he is going to be doing now.

“Hi,” he says to Jungkook.

Jungkook looks at him widening his eyes surprised that Yoongi is even talking to him.

If it wasn’t for the alcohol Yoongi wouldn’t have talked to the stranger anyway.

“Hi,” Jungkook finally says.

“Small world eh?” Yoongi says twirling his beer watching some fizz rise on the top of it.

“Huh,”

“I mean you are my model in art class and then I save you from walking into traffic, and then we just so happen to meet again because my best’s friend’s brother is your friend,”

“Well, if you think about it that way,” Jungkook says with a little laugh.

“It’s a great coincidence,” Yoongi says.

“Coincidence, is that all you think of it?” Jungkook asks.

“Mmhm,” Yoongi says. “Don’t you?”

“I think its fate,” Jungkook says in a quiet voice.

“You believe in that?” Yoongi asks.

“Yeah,” Jungkook answers. “We were meant to meet again…and so here we are”

Yoongi smiles a little mostly looking into Jungkook’s sparkly eyes that somehow look more beautiful in the dark purple lights of the nightclub than the bright lights of his art classroom.

“Jungkookie,” Yoongi says. “Would you like some beer?”

Jungkook only nods.

They talk a lot about anything and everything under the sun. It’s weird almost because Yoongi has sat next to people in school for an entire year and hadn’t known anything more than their name and yet here he is this dingy nightclub talking to this absolute stranger about the scar on his elbow.

Yoongi removes his jacket and holds it up for Jungkook to see.

“It’s shaped like a crescent moon,” Jungkook says tracing the outline of the scar.

“Uh huh,” Yoongi says. “Anyway, can I ask you a question?”

“Yeah,”

“Why are you a model?”

Jungkook laughs out loud.

“I knew this was coming,” he says.

“I am just curious…,”

“Yeah, I know,” Jungkook says.

“So, why?”

“It makes a lot of money,” Jungkook says with a shrug. “There’s nothing else to it…I would rather have money than be broke…and if modeling is making me some cash then…why not?”

Yoongi nods finishing the last sip of his beer.

Yoongi is on his seventh beer and Jungkook is on his fourth.

Yoongi is in the phase of where nothing much makes sense to him. He barely registers anything but Jungkook who is laughing at something Taehyung did but Yoongi is not paying attention at all instead staring at Jungkook.

Maybe, because he is drunk Yoongi thinks that he looks even more beautiful, his lips spread into a wide smile, sparkly eyes, sweat glistening in the dim light his long fingers wrapped around the condensing glass of beer that threatens to fall over each time Jungkook laughs. Yoongi notices the tiny details of his face the way his nose curves, his cheekbones, the way his dark brown hair falls onto his shoulder all the little details that he couldn’t get perfect are now staring him in the face and Yoongi wishes he had a paper and a pencil on him so he could draw him.

Jungkook notices the persistent stare.

“What are you looking at?”

“Your pretty face,”

Drunk, confident talk that is all this is.

The blush on Jungkook’s face is unmistakable the distance between them now almost non-existent.

Yoongi’s heart is beating erratically fast his eyes only at Jungkook’s lips his mind telling him to do things that he shouldn’t but Yoongi can’t stop at all as he looks Jungkook in the eyes and he can tell that Jungkook wants the same but neither of them is willing to make the move.

Yoongi does eventually their faces a few centimeters apart waiting for Jungkook’s approval who lets out a nod and before Yoongi even realizes he is kissing Jungkook on the lips. Jungkook’s lips are soft, softer than any boy’s lips Yoongi has ever kissed. Yoongi’s hands are on Jungkook’s face as he kisses him deeper. Jungkook tastes like beer they were just drinking and watermelon candy that Yoongi loves so much. It’s a perfect mixture and so addicting that Yoongi doesn’t want to stop kissing Jungkook.

When they do stop Jungkook’s sparkly eyes are so close to Yoongi’s. He is biting down on his lip and Yoongi gets an uncontrollable urge to kiss Jungkook again.

Min Yoongi has a policy of not kissing anyone up until the third date at least but here he is.

Jungkook made him break his rule.

Only a few seconds later they are kissing again and it’s Jungkook who kisses Yoongi this time.

 

 

 

 

Yoongi is nursing a headache his hands barely clasping around the pencil and Jungkook who is standing in all his glory doesn’t look any less faced.

Getting drunk when you have an 8 am to show up to is the worst decision either of them could make.

Jungkook is standing with his back showing to Yoongi a mirror in front of him from which Yoongi can see his face and Jungkook can see Yoongi’s and a small smile tugs on his lips each time their eyes meet.

It’s ing adorable how shy he is.

Yoongi isn’t quite sure how he feels about the events of the previous night.

Drunk kissing a stranger is one of the few things Yoongi didn’t do and nor did he tell half of his life story to just anyone hell not even Namjoon knew that Yoongi stole scented erasers from his classmates in preschool but somehow Jeon Jungkook knew this.

Why? He doesn’t know.

They get a break and Yoongi rushes to the bathroom to smoke. And of course, Jungkook is there donning a thin white robe smiling when he sees Yoongi.

“Spare a smoke,” he says.

Yoongi hands him a cigarette and Jungkook places it between his teeth edging forward so Yoongi can light up the cigarette.

Yoongi holds up the lighter and Jungkook takes a long puff before letting out smoke.

Yoongi doesn’t know why he is mesmerized the way Jimin’s lips form an ‘o’ with smoke coming out from it but he cannot take his eyes away

“Last night was good,” Jungkook says.

“Mmhm,”

Jungkook takes another puff before he flicks the ash off his eyes not moving away from Yoongi.

Yoongi doesn’t know why he does it but he is kissing Jungkook in the dirty bathroom of his art school. Jungkook is holding the counter as Yoongi kisses him tasting cigarette and the similar watermelon candy taste that he loves so much.

Another mistake, but this time he doesn’t even have alcohol to put the blame on.

 

 

 

 

 

It’s Friday, Hoseok is hosting a movie night.

Movie night means getting faced drunk slowly as a ty obscure foreign movie picked by Jung Hoseok plays in the background and Hoseok talks about how they are all clearly missing the deeper meaning behind the awful camera work.

But, this time Yoongi is kind of only a little bit actually looking forward to it.

That is because Taehyung said he would bring Jungkook along with him and Yoongi is almost eager to meet the boy yet again because they haven’t seen each other ever since they kissed in the bathroom because Yoongi didn’t have the class again.

“So,” Namjoon says as he sits down next to Yoongi.

“So, what,”

“Jungkook,”

“What about Jungkook?”

“You and him,”

“Me and Jungkook,” Yoongi repeats.

“Come on Yoongi, you think I’m stupid,” Namjoon says loud sitting up straighter.

“Yes, I think you are,” Yoongi smirks.

“ you,” Namjoon hisses. “Anyway, I was saying something going on between you and him”

“No,”

“Really, then why were you kissing him that night?” Namjoon asks.

“I was drunk,” Yoongi says. “Drunk people do stupid sometimes”

“Really…because” Namjoon says but he is cut off by Taehyung making a grand entry inside the house.

“Hello,” he says in a singsong voice.

Jungkook follows him carrying something in his hand.

“Jungkookie got us a pack of beer because he is very nice like that,” Taehyung says.

Jungkook only smiles as he sets down the thing in the middle of the floor and of course, sits down next to Yoongi. Yoongi scoots over to make some space but Jungkook places a hand over his hand stopping him.

Namjoon looks at Yoongi with a knowing smirk on his face.

Jungkook smiles at Yoongi and Yoongi smiles at him his eyes on the TV screen and while Hoseok and Jimin poring over at the DVDs because Hoseok also loves to hoard DVDs.

“You’re rude,” Jungkook says.

Yoongi looks at him shocked.

“What?”

“You didn’t even say Hi?”

“Uh, well,” Yoongi says. “Hi”

“Hello,” Jungkook says. “I missed you”

“Oh, did you?”

“Mmhm,” Jungkook says. “Did you not miss me?”

Missed him? Yoongi doesn’t remember thinking about someone for that long on an everyday basis so to be simply put yeah he did miss Jungkook a ing lot.

“I guess so,”

Jungkook frowns a little folding his knees and he absent-mindedly picks at some thread in his jeans.

“Guys, I’m sorry,” Seokjin finally shows up. “I had a work meeting with the manager”

“Ah, hyung we were just waiting for you,” Hoseok grins. “We can start the movie now”

Seokjin nods closing the door behind him and makes his way sitting next to Namjoon who gulps making Yoongi roll his eyes. At least now that Seokjin is here Namjoon wouldn’t be watching him like a hawk.

“What movie are we watching?” Jungkook asks grabbing a big bag of cheddar popcorn.

Yoongi shrugs reaching over for popcorn but Jungkook tucks the bag away.

“Open your mouth,” he says.

“Huh,”

“Just do it,”

Yoongi opens his mouth and Jungkook puts popcorn in his mouth giggling at the look of shock on Yoongi’s face.

“Hey, shush,” Jimin says who is the only one appreciates Hoseok’s ty taste in movies and it has definitely nothing to do with how smitten he is over Hoseok, nothing at all.

Yoongi and Jungkook share the popcorn watching the movie and halfway through it Jungkook places his head Yoongi’s shoulder.

Yoongi practically freezes with the close proximity of Jungkook’s body to his but the other seems pretty unfazed by it as he grabs Yoongi’s hand putting it on his body.

“It’s cold,” he simply says munching on his popcorn.

Yoongi doesn’t remember if he had ever simply cuddled up with a boy he was going out with to watch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter