The First Day

S H U T D O W N

 

 

 

“Rise and shine losers we don’t have all day!” Changbin shouts into the room through some sort of megaphone and bangs an empty trashcan against the stone walls, creating a deafening sound bound to wake even the heaviest of sleepers up. Felix sits up, shocked awake by the noise, hair standing in all directions and his shirt twisted so much that the front is in the back as well as saliva dripping down the corners of his mouth.

 

Seungmin wakes up less of a mess, only because he woke up as soon as Changbin opened the door and managed to avoid waking up to the sound of shouting and the banging of trash cans, thankfully- and also because he’s not as messy of a sleeper (nor eater) as Felix. Jeongin, however, woke up half an hour earlier than the others, not because of a sound or something that shook him, but because in Amity he always woke up early to help his grandmother out in the fields before going to school- most people did.

 

“Get your asses moving, I want you dressed and ready and your beds clean and made in five minutes,” Jeongin swings his legs over the edge of the bed, careful with his leg, and pulls off his shorts only to swiftly pull on the black pants he received the day before which he kept at the foot of his bed just to make it easier for himself. “What time is it?” Felix mumbles while trying to get out of his t-shirt and Jeongin pulls his own off and shrugs, “probably around four thirty,” Felix groans loudly and throws his shirt at Seungmin who shoots him an annoyed look “I don’t think I’ve ever been up this early, only when I haven’t slept at all.”

 

“How do you know what time it is?” Seungmin questions while pulling on his own pants and Jeongin, while hiding his pajamas under his pillow, answers, “I usually wake up around this time by myself to head to the fields, or, I used to, back in Amity,” it’s only been a day so far so he’s not even near used to being in Dauntless and not Amity

 

Seungmin spares him a look that could pass for him being impressed but Jeongin really can’t tell with him, but then again, he hasn't known for him that long and Felix doesn’t seem to have a problem with reading him- so maybe it’s just a matter of time.

 

While Seungmin helps Felix pull his shirt off and throws it somewhere unceremoniously on the floor- most probably out of spite-and proceeds to change out of his own clothes, Jeongin, already dressed and ready, struggles with making his bed the way he sees Nancy on the other side of the room make hers. “Hyung,” he whispers and Felix’s head whips up excitingly with a smile like he’s heard the best news of his life, “how should I-?” he gestures to the bed helplessly if not a bit urgently, aware that the clock is ticking down. Felix looks incredibly proud and heads over to Jeongin’s bed to show him, “watch the master, and learn,” dramatically cracking his fingers he gets to work and takes a hold of one of the corners of the cover, “you fold it like this, so it makes a ninety degree angle, and then you just flip it under the mattress,” he finishes off the corner and rubs his hands together. “I can do the rest if you w-” Jeongin cuts him off hurriedly and half-heartedly pushes Felix away from his bed, “no, hyung, you have to make your own bed as well, I’ll figure it out...I think,” he adds a bit hesitantly but Felix nods nonetheless and returns to the bunkbeds he and Seungmin share. It’s not the easiest task he’s ever done but it’s far from the hardest and so he makes it work surprisingly quite well.

 

There’s only one minute left when they all finish and Jeongin takes a look at his bed and bites his lip nervously, it’s nothing compared to Felix’s or Seungmin’s but at least it’s not as messy as it would have been, had he not asked for help. But can he really be blamed? He’s slept in beds before- that time he got sick and had to stay over at the hospital- but he’s never had to make one, solely because his ‘bed’ back in Amity, throughout his entire life, was a hammock, which never required any making.

 

“Time’s up!” Changbin reappears from the outside, but without his megaphone, his face set stone cold as his gaze grazes over them and their beds, “well, one thing’s for sure,” he claps his hands together for dramatic effect and sighs deeply, “you all ing ,” Felix snorts quietly and Changbin’s eyes immediateöy move to him.

 

“Something funny to you?” he questions harshly but not harshly enough to scare Felix away, “no, I’m just agreeing with you sir ,” making sure to put emphasis on the ‘sir’ to jokingly mock Changbin, “we do ing ,” he shoots him a sly smile but Changbin’s face remains unmoving, “careful candor,” he hisses and for once Felix does lose a bit of the glee in his eyes and instead of responding with some sarcastic comment he lets it go.

 

“It’s time to officially start your training, which is why I’ve dragged you up at the asscrack of dawn,” Changbin continues and lets his eyes sweep over the pathetic bunch of kids in front of him once again, “so unless any of you have any complains, let’s get moving,” Changbin turns around towards the opening but only has the time to take one step before one of the Dauntless-born speak up, “yeah I have a complaint,” he drawls and Changbin turns around with one brow cocked and crosses his arms, “oh? Do tell,” it’s obvious to everyone in the room that he doesn’t give two s about their complaints and that he won’t hesitate to kick them out of the faction (if he even has the power to do so), it’s clear to everyone- except for that kid.


 

“Why do we have to wake up at, as you so eloquently said, the asscrack of dawn when we could sleep until at least ten and then begin training? Seems a bit extreme doesn’t it?” it’s probably the first time Jeongin’s ever seen Changbin smile, and it’s terrifying, the smile doesn’t reach his eyes and the amount of teeth he shows just looks unnatural and like something out of a horror story, “real cute boy you’ve got, Felix,” Seungmin hisses and Felix elbows him quickly to shut him up.

 

“Well, you see, if a war were to break out in the middle of your precious beauty sleep in the middle of the night, you need to be able to get up, get dressed, and load your gun without shooting yourself in the foot. Would you have to make your bed then? Probably not, but forcing you to do it now creates discipline,” he pauses and lets the smile drop, his face completely clear of any amusement, “you haven’t received your guns yet ‘cause we don’t trust you yet, but I have, so if I hear another stupid question come out of your disgusting mouth I can promise you I will shoot you in the foot, and it won’t be by accident,” the boy doesn’t seem happy with his answer but thankfully he shuts his mouth and looks at the ground in submission. “Now, any more stupid questions or can we get back to our schedule?” no one speaks up, no one dares to, and that seems to please Changbin because he smirks (and honestly, Jeongin thinks he prefers his smug and sly smile) and lets his arms fall to his sides, “great, let’s move.”

 

“He’s a real charmer,” Seungmin mumbles when they’re far enough behind so that Changbin can’t hear them, “oh shut up,” Felix scolds while pushing Seungmin playfully, Jeongin traces right behind them quietly, slightly slower than the two older boys because of his knee but not slow enough to fall behind the group.

 

They continue down numerous flights of stairs before reaching large doors that look like the ones the infirmary had and Changbin pushes them open with his shoulder but instead of holding them up for the rest of them, he lets it go and it hits the kid with the stupid questions’ right in the face and he groans and curses quietly, “Changbin-ssi really doesn’t seem to like that boy,” Jeongin mumbles and Seungmin nods in agreement, “I wonder what he did to piss him off.”

 

The doors lead to a large hall that has a high ceiling and looks like a rundown gym, and in the middle of the large room, Chan stands with his arms crossed and a frown on his face. “You’re late,” Changbin rolls his eyes and point towards the boy now nursing his nose, “thanks to that and his questions.

 

Chan snorts and lets his eyes sweep over the group of kids in front of him while Changbin comes to stand next to him, “they’re gonna need some work, right now they’re useless,” Changbin mumbles with a smirk and Chan raises a brow at him, “sounds familiar,” he says before giving Changbin a coy smile, patting his shoulder, and clapping his hands loudly.

 

“Alright, listen up,” immediately everyone’s eyes fastens onto Chan and it’s clear that he has their undivided attention, “today’s your first official day of training and you have a long day ahead of you, but since this is the first day for all of you, it won’t be as hard as the weeks ahead” he begins to pace in front of them, toying with the knife strapped to his belt, “with that said-” he pauses and once again lets his eyes sweep over the crowd.

 

“That does not mean today will be a walk in the park, you will do exactly as we tell you and you will do it well, it won’t be easy,” one of the Dauntless-born girls standing behind Jeongin scoffs discreetly but not discreetly enough for Chan to not catch her and Jeongin can see a surreal calm wash over Chan, he almost looks at peace for a second while he stares down the girl behind Jeongin. “What’s your name?” Chan asks and Jeongin can hear the smile in his voice when she answers, “you know my name,” Felix grabs Jeongin’s arm and leans in to whisper in a sing-song voice “drama~”

“You’re right, I do know your name, but our transfers might not so why don’t you share it with the class,” Chan still looks as calm and collected as ever and Jeongin can see out of the corner of his eye how some of the kids keep shifting where they’re standing, most certainly uncomfortable with their leader’s tranquility.

 

“My name’s Jess,” she bites out through her teeth, Chan ignores her tone and instead puts on a jolly smile that completely eradicates his cool image, “well then, Jessica, why don’t you take a few laps around the hall, just to...warm up,” his voice turns scarily light and happy on his last words and it becomes clear to everyone in the room that she’s not gonna run three laps, she’s gonna run until she collapses.

 

This time her confidence seems to waver as she too catches on, “how many?” she questions, a lot more tentatively than before, Chan puts a finger to his chin and pretend to think before he drops his arm and his smile with it, his shoulders square out and he stares at her like a hunter watching its prey, “fifty,” he says without a hint of a smile and Jeongin almost, almost feels sorry for Jessica because one lap has got to be around 800 meters; she’s going to be running for a while.

 

Chan crosses his arms over his chest once more and Jeongin feels himself wondering, what now? Jessica seems to be wondering the same thing because she stays in her spot and looks around at the other Dauntless-born, but she doesn’t have to wait for long because Changbin steps in.

 

“What are you waiting for?” he questions and mimics Chan’s position, “chop chop,” with a heavy sigh she makes her way out of their group and starts running alongside the walls of the giant hall.

 

Chan stares after her for a seconds before turning back to the group, “now, let’s get started.”



 

_____



 

Jeongin’s dripping with sweat and his hands hurt from all the punching he’s been doing, he’d been okay in the beginning, just practicing throwing a knife at a board (and failing miserably) but that quickly turned into more grievous training.  


 

“If you keep your thumb like that you’ll break it on the first punch,” Chan seemingly materializes behind him and Jeongin swivels around hastily, sweat dripping from his templed and accumulating on the top of his lip, “huh?” wiping his wet bangs out of his forehead he looks to Chan who’s studying his form. “If you keep your thumb inside your fist you’ll break it,” he grabs a hold of Jeongin’s right hand and removes his thumb from where it’s snuggled tightly inside his fist and places it on top of the other four curled fingers, “like this, and keep your wrist steady,” he straightens Jeongin’s hand and wrist out.

 

“You have to be steady, but relaxed,” Jeongin feels Chan’s arms grab a hold of his waist and twist him to the right position, “left leg forward, right leg in the back, dominant hand in the back, and non-dominant in the front,” the position immediately feels a lot more steady to Jeongin but also a lot more foreign. Chan crosses his arms and takes a step back to look Jeongin up and down which has Jeongin cowering under his gaze, “you’re not as big as the others, but you’re not the tiniest either,” he wonders aloud and Jeongin doesn’t think it’s meant for him to hear.

 

“Your small form makes it easier for you to be fast rather than powerful,” he mumbles and looks over at one of the Dauntless-born on the other side of the training hall punching a dummy relentlessly, Jeongin follows his gaze and shudders when the guy punches the dummy hard enough for the sand-filled stomach to break and spill out onto the floor.

 

“See, that guy is all brute and force, but he’s not as stealthy as you...can be,” Jeongin nods understandingly and tightens his fists- the correct way- and musters up his courage, “so, how do I become stealthy?” Chan raises his brows in surprise and nods in satisfaction at the boy’s surprising attitude, he hadn’t expected Jeongin to initiate anything, but he’s not complaining.

 

“Alright,” he shrugs off his jacket, tosses it on the ground and rolls his shoulders, “let’s get to work,” he raises his fists close to his face and immediately Jeongin’s own hands fall in shock, “wait, I’m fighting you?” he questions worriedly and Chan a brow and smiles sneakily, “how else will you learn?”

 

“Hands up, let’s do this,” Jeongin takes his own position, legs a little wobbly and his mind too focused on where his thumbs are placed, “try punching me,” Chan’s voice breaks through Jeongin’s thoughts and Jeongin quickly turns his attention from his thumbs to Chan’s face. “Okay…” he mumbles hesitantly and takes a step forward, swinging his arm back before quite literally throwing a punch, which Chan side steps faster than lightning. He grabs a hold of Jeongin’s arms and puts them behind his back and bends him forward, Jeongin cries out from the sudden movement and from the pain and Chan lets him go quickly.

 

Jeongin rubs at his sore arms and sends a glare Chan’s way, Chan studies him once more before he returns to his stance, “don’t swing your arm back so much, it takes too long and I’ll have you down on the floor before you can even attempt to throw the punch,” he gives Jeongin a look to see if he’s gotten it and when  jeongin gives him a small, timid nod Chan’s lips twitch at the corners of his mouth. “Keep your arms tight to your body, and when you go to punch make sure your eyes stay on the target, don’t look at your feet, don’t look at the people around you, and don’t look at your hand to check if the grip is right, feel it,” Jeongin adjusts his stance a bit clumsily and raises his eyes to look at Chan, when their eyes meet Jeongin has to look away, not used to the intense stare of the older boy. But he keeps his eyes on Chan’s face, which Chan considers good enough. “Punch me,” is all Chan says and before Jeongin knows it himself he’s throwing a punch with much better aim than last time- of course it doesn’t hit chan, not by a long shot. Chan steps aside to his left and Jeongin almost goes flying, surprised by his own strength, but luckily  Chan grabs a hold of him so that he doesn’t kiss the floor.

 

Jeongin quickly straightens up and Chan lets go of his arm, “that’s...better,” he states with a grimace and Jeongin make one of his own which Chan takes notice of, “have you ever punched someone before?” he asks with a raise of brow and Jeongin shakes his head quickly, “thought so,” he states matter of factly and Jeongin lowers his head, embarrassed that his leader has seen him punch so pathetically.

 

“I hadn’t punched anyone either when I first got here you know,” that makes Jeongin look up again with wide eyes, when you got here? But… “I wasn’t born Dauntless,” Chan clarifies and that makes Jeongin’s mouth fall open a bit, he’d never expected that since Chan seems as Dauntless as can be. “Whe-” his voice gets stuck in his throat and he clears his throat hastily, eager to ask his question, “where did you grow up?” he inquiries timidly but Chan shakes his head, “another time, kid. Keep practicing, you’re doing well,” and then he walks off, leaving Jeongin with so many unanswered questions and a thirst for knowledge.

 

Maybe I’ll find out one day, he did say “another time”.

 



 

“Is that all you’re gonna eat?” Seungmin questions with a hard look, eyes cast down onto Jeongin’s plate which carries a piece of bread and some steamed carrots, “you won’t last an hour on that,” he adds and Jeongin frowns at his plate, it’s true, it’s not much, but the dinner consists of a stew with some sort of meat ( he hard rumors it’s rabbit) and maybe two vegetables; he’s not ready to go full Dauntless just yet.

 

“It’s alright, I’ll manage,” he says with a smile and Seungmin frowns disappointedly but nevertheless turns back to his own food with a huff, “you’re already tiny, do you want to look like a child and be as weak as one forever?” Jeongin looks down at his plate and lets his shoulders fall in defeat, not he doesn’t want to look and be weak forever, but he doesn’t want to eat the food they serve either. Felix notices Jeongin’s dejected look and nudges Seungmin in the ribs, “that was too harsh Minnie,” he mumbles quite aggressively so that only Seungmin can hear him, but also so that Seungmin can hear in his voice that he’s serious about it.

 

Just as Jeongin’s about to take a bite out of his bread a hand lands heavily on his shoulder and he jumps in shock and squeezes his eyes shut, “it’s just me, Amity,” he recognizes the voice as Changbin’s and immediately his shoulders sag just the tiniest bit, thankful that it’s not his father. He doesn’t know how it ever could be, his father is factionless and lives somewhere out on the streets, but the memory of him is still so vivid, so fresh that Jeongin can’t help but fear him despite the distance between them. Jeongin turns in his seat as best as he can and looks up at Changbin, “Chan says there’s food for you in the kitchen,” it’s quite obvious that Changbin would rather be anywhere else than be Chan’s very own owl but Jeongin doesn’t mind, he’s quite used to it, how awful it may sound.

 

Felix’s face break out into a big smile and he reaches above Seungmin’s head to tug at Changbin’s sleeve, “will you sit with us?” he asks, eyes lit up like a kid on Christmas and maybe Felix notices, maybe he doesn’t, but it’s clear to seungmin -even to Jeongin- that Changbin’s hard stare softens even the teeny tiniest bit at the sight of Felix’s smile.

 

“No,” Felix's smile falters a bit but, for the most part, he remains unchanged, “why not?” he questions further and Changbin rolls his eyes and rips his arm out of Felix’s grip, “because I’m sitting at another table, genius, and I only came over because Chan said-”

 

“Chan hyung,” Chan himself corrects from behind Changbin before putting a hand on Changbin’s shoulder and pulling him back slightly, “what the hell’s taking you so long?” Changbin points an accusatory finger at Felix, “that kid’s obsessed with me man, I swear,” he mumbles more so to himself than anything else before taking his leave with not so much as a look at the three seated at the table.

 

Chan raises a brow- Jeongin noticed that he does that often- at Felix to which Felix only averts his gaze back to his plate and starts eating like a starved man, “come on kid, let’s go get you some food, you can’t live off of stale bread and carrots,” Jeongin swears he hears Seungmin mumble ‘that’s what I told him’ but he has no time to ask because the next second he’s being pulled up by the arm and dragged away towards the kitchen.

 

“It’s not much, but it’s something,” Chan says and Jeongin doesn’t know what to expect but as soon as the doors to the kitchen open he wants to shout ‘not much?!’, wherever he looks there’s food, well, maybe not for him. There’s a whole pig hanging from the ceiling and numerous people cooking alongside the walls of the kitchen, one pan is on fire ( I think it’s supposed to be that way) and one person is throwing is throwing the contents of his pan up into the hair and catching them again. Jeongin’s barely ever seen cooking be done because the meals in Amity were always community meals, meaning that his family didn’t cook for their own family and neither his mom nor dad knew anything about cooking- it was all done by the chefs and none of his relatives were ever chefs.



 

“Wow,” he breathes out, amazed by the entire process and a bit disgusted by the dead animals everywhere, “this is-” he doesn't know what it is, shocking? Disgusting? Interesting? All of the above? “Yeah, it’s something,” Chan fills in for him and he nods in agreement with him.

 

“None of the official chefs cook any vegetarian food- that’s food without any meat- so -” Jeongin cuts in, “I know what it is, I read about it in school,” he states before quickly throwing a hand over his mouth in shock at what he’d just done, he cut off his leader while he was speaking. “I-i’m sorry I didn’t-” Chan chuckles roughly and spares him a slightly amused look, “it’s fine, just don’t do it in front of anyone else, I can’t seem like a leader who can’t control his subordinates now, can I?” jeongin nods hastily, assuring him that he’ll never do it again...in front of anyone else.

 

“Anyways, as I was saying, no one here cooks vegetarian food, so the few that come from Abnegation and Amity either start eating meat or cook for themselves, Woojin hyung cooked this,” he says as if Jeongin’s supposed to have any idea who Woojin is. “Just come in here and head over to that freezer over there, there’s a microwave right next to it so just heat it up,” Chan spares him a glance to see if he’s gotten everything and when Jeongin nods he takes a step back, “oh and if anyone asks why you’re here just say you’re looking for Woojin’s food, got it?”

 

“Yeah,” Jeongin responds quietly and then Chan’s out the door without a single look back. Jeongin’s relieved that he now knows he’ll have something to eat other than carrots and stale bread, but, what the hell is a microwave?

 


Thank you for reading!
If you have any suggestions or things you want to see happen: maybe a character you want more of (out of the ones I've introduced already- if they haven't been introduced they will be soooooooon ) then feel free to leave a comment telling me.
Have a nice day <3