Chapter 3

Trust Issues

“There!” Minseok said with a triumphant smile after placing down the last duffle bag on the floor. They just got to his apartment, and while he brought the bags inside, she decided to cook dinner for the both of them. “Aren’t you having rehearsals tonight?”

“I’ll call Sehun later. I don’t really feel like going.”

 The man hummed in agreement, making himself comfortable on a stool, elbows placed on the counter island in front of him, while his head rested gently on his palms. Sarang had her back turned to him and was dropping different vegetables in the pan.

“Do you need any help with that?”

“I think you’re out of eggs…”

“Nah, they’re just here.” Minseok got to his feet and walked to the refrigerator, rummaging through it before taking out the bowl with eggs.

“Sorry, I forgot you’re this cleaning maniac, and you even wash your eggs before placing them in the fridge.” He smirked after placing the bowl in front of her, and ruffled her hair, earning a pout from the girl. “I should call you over sometimes, could help me with the cleaning.”

“Anytime love.”

She rolled her eyes and laughed at his cheeky joke, in the meantime beating the eggs with the chopsticks after she cracked them in another bowl. It was always comfortable when they were together, they didn’t need to set any boundaries because they already knew how far they should go and when they should just drop it.

The man s his arms around her small waist, and snuggled in the crook of her neck, watching his favorite girl in the world cooking dinner for him. The way her little hands moved, the little hum of acceptance, the calming aura surrounding her, made Minseok feel at peace. He was home.

The silence broke with the ringing of his phone, and he released her from his hold to fish his phone from the jeans’ pocket before answering and putting it on speaker.

“What’s up Jongin?”

“Let Sarang rest tonight. I spoke with Sehun and he’s fine with her missing today.”

“I was planning on calling him, but thanks Jongin.” She spoke, meanwhile looking for two plates in the cabinets above her.

“You’re welcome. Talk to you guys later.”

“Okay, goodnight.” Minseok chimed and hung up before helping her reach the top cabinet. With a strong grip on her waist, he raised her from the floor waiting patiently for her to take the plates. She was so thin and the man had no problem holding her up for too long.

“Thank you…”

“Always.” Once down, he engulfed her in a hug, his chest resting on her back, while his soft breaths made some strands of her hair fly around and tickle her ear. She giggled like a teenager and proceeded to arrange the table before things could get out of hand.

“What time are you going to work tomorrow?”

“I’m taking the day off.” He said happily, showing her his mesmerizing smile and cute cheeks and the girl could only respond with a smile of her own.

“The perks of being the CEO.”

“And you could do just that if you came to my company.”

“Let’s not talk about this over dinner.” She was against taking advantage of his position, of his family’s fortune and other things amongst that, so that’s why she always refused vehemently to work for him.

“What time should I drive you to work then?”

“Min, there’s no need for that, enjoy your free day. What’s the point of waking early in the morning only to drive me a few blocks down the street?”

“Well, the point of my free day was to do just that, so now spill…” He eyed her with a cocked brow and stopped eating waiting for her comeback. However, the girl groaned silently before giving in to his offer.

“Seven…”

“Seven it is.” Minseok’s bright mood was back, and they ate dinner happily, talking about nonsenses and theories they both had in common. One moment she was talking about this game she helped to develop, and the next he was talking about this secretary of his that kept flirting with him.

“You should totally go on a date with her.”

“What’s the point of it?”

“I mean, you said you couldn’t fire her because you searched for someone as good as she is for a long time, what’s so bad in going on a nice date with a cute girl?”

“How do you know she’s cute.”

“Seriously? I’ve been to your office more times than I could count, on top of that I knew Hani long before she even went for an interview there.”

That got him confused. She knew the name of his secretary and she just confessed she knew the girl long before him hiring her. How was that even possible? His expression told her everything that was running through his head, and she could only chuckle in delight.

“She’s in our dance crew, and she is actually Jongin’s partner. We’re getting along just fine, and last year when you dropped the news of hiring a new secretary, I just had to tell her. She has her degree in business, and she is a really kind person.”

“Were you trying to set me up before or after telling me?” In truth, the man was slightly taken aback and offended, but she just brushed it off and chuckled once more.

“It was in fact, Jongin’s idea of hooking you up. He said she looked a lot like your type.”

Yeah, you’re my type. And Hani looked a little like Sarang, but they had slightly different personalities. While Hani was shy and liked to give hints here and there, with a slight blush in her cheeks, Sarang was bold and upfront, with snarky remarks and funny comebacks.

Hani had long blonde locks, that suited her perfectly, but Sarang had jet-black hair that framed her thin face perfectly. Hani was the business type of woman, always wearing dresses and killer heels, while Sarang preferred sweat pants and hoodies, if not really tight jeans and sneakers.

They were so alike, yet so different, Hani loved vanilla ice cream, Sarang despises it yet she loves the chocolate chip one. They were both bubbly and fun to be around, but Sarang had something special about her.

“Hey.” He snapped out of his thoughts, slowly raising his head from his plate and looking at the girl in front of him. She had a little frown and eyed his strangely, curious of what the man might be thinking. “Baozi I called you three times. Are you deaf?”

“N-no, sorry, just lost in thoughts.”

“Figured. Anyway, I was saying, you should really give her a chance.”

“You think so?” Minseok said with a bittersweet smile he hid from her by looking back to his plate. He didn’t want to give anyone else a chance except her, but what could he do? “I guess I’ll try.”

“And remember, if nothing it’s working out for the both of us until you turn 30 we can always get married.” She joked, but they both knew it was somehow true. Every year on their birthdays or on New Year’s Eve they would make the same promise over and over again. It was like their hope of one day being together.

Why they were holding back? None of them really knew, they just got too used to it to ask themselves questions about it anymore. Minseok sighed in disappointment before getting on his feet and gathering the things on the table.

“Go in the bedroom, I’ll be there after I clean this up.”

“Min…” Sarang was not stupid, and heard the hurting in his voice, but he just turned his back at her and proceeded to wash the dishes. “Minseok… hey…” The girl placed her hand over his shoulder, but he moved, making her hand fall limply beside her body. He just rejected her and it was painful.

“Change…I’ll finish soon.”

She couldn’t do anything more than nod, although he had her back at her, and left the kitchen walking to his bedroom. The walls were decorated with pictures of him and his friends, and above his bed, there were white strings messily spread in the air.

Pictures that they both held dear were hung there, Polaroid pictures with the both of them, with him and Jongin, Sehun and her, and group pictures they took on their road trips. The feeling of nostalgia engulfed her reading every title wrote beautifully underneath, the date, and the notes he left on the back of the photos.

He cherished his friends more than anyone apart from her would know, and without realizing, time passed by her really fast, and while Sarang was lost in the memories, she felt his arms around her waist, and his lips on the base of her neck.

“I’m sorry I acted that way. Please forgive me.” His whispers send shivers down her spine, and with every word he spoke his lips would touch her neck making her into a poodle on the floor.

“It’s fine. I know you didn’t mean it that way…” Sarang took a deep breath and let herself relax on his chest, while he rocked them from side to side, the silence between the two warm and welcoming. “I love you…”

“I love you too…” It didn’t take him longer than one second to say it, and after years it was the first time he thought of why it was hard for two people to be together, when it was so easy for them to say they loved each other. “And I’m scared…”

“Of what?”

“Of losing you to another.” Sarang’s heart broke and she turned in his arms, facing him with pain written in her eyes. She never meant to hurt him, or to make him feel that way. Her trembling hands cupped his cheeks, and he planted a soft, long kiss on her forehead.

“You know better than anyone I’m not going anywhere…”

“Sometimes I think you’re just waiting for me to turn 30…” He tried to joke, but she froze. It was true, she was really doing that, hoping that one day they could finally be together, but didn’t want to steal his young years away from him.

She knew Minseok would be committed, and Sarang wanted to let him live his life before getting into a serious relationship. The girl hoped for him to have flings, to drink, to have fun with his friends without being tied down to someone.

“Maybe I am…” She muttered sincerely, making his heart skip a beat. He never missed a chance of showing her how much she meant for him, never missed a birthday or their friendship’s anniversary.

“w-what…?” His voice was hoarse, and he found himself pushing her a little bit away from him before placing his hands on her small shoulders. The man searched for her eyes, for any sign of joking, but the only thing he found were some tears trapped in her eyelashes, and others b her eyes.

“Sarang…”

“No, just…forget I said that.” The girl unlocked herself from his embrace, and wiped her tears with the back of her hands, before heading to his walk-in closet. “Do you still have my clothes around?” He never answered, and she never had the courage to turn around and see his face. “Well, I guess I can always take some of yours.”

This one was a simple mutter, he couldn’t possibly hear her, but she felt her heart breaking into a million pieces seeing the blue t-shirt, beautifully stacked on top of others. The first gift she ever gave to him, and after so many years he still had it.

Sarang’s hand gently brushed the soft material, before she yelped in surprised when Minseok took her in his arms and hugged her for dear life. She was surprised and didn’t know what to do, other than closing her eyes and curl her fingers in his hair.

“Minseok…” She whispered, and he wished she never said his name so softly, he wished this girl would’ve never made him fall to his knees with only a few words. But he was grateful for her, and she was worth it.

Without answering her question, he cupped her face, and planted his lips softly on hers, making Sarang’s eyes widen in surprise before she felt the tip of his tongue brushing her lips, asking for acceptance.

And after the shock was over, she gently granted it, kissing him back shyly before her frame relaxed in his embrace. It was innocent, and they poured their feelings into that kiss. “I really love you…” Minseok whispered against her lips, making her gasp before he caught her lips again. “I really do…”