I.M

Acceptance

Changkyun presses his lips together, his eyes glittering with nerves. Today’s the day. Today’s the day he’ll finally say those three special words to Hyungwon. He knows it’s only been a couple months since they’ve begun dating, but he also knows that this is what he should do. What he needs to do.

He steps out of his room, steeling himself against the very possible negative reaction. Hyungwon had left the room to get a snack from the kitchen just a few minutes ago, so he figures that’s where the older still is.

The maknae pads through the dorm on bare feet, but he’s surprised to find Hyungwon standing just outside the kitchen, a smirk on his handsome face. He turns at hearing Changkyun approach, and he quickly pulls the younger close. Changkyun raises a questioning brow, but Hyungwon merely presses a finger to his lips and nods towards the kitchen.

“… something to tell you, hyung,” Minhyuk’s voice floats through the air, reaching their ears. Hyunwoo’s hum soon follows, and the vocalist goes on with a surprisingly shaky voice. “I know it’s still pretty early into our relationship, and I don’t want you to feel like you have to say this back, but I have to say it… I… I love you, hyung.”

Changkyun in a breath of surprise, eyes going wide. He’s shocked. He could’ve sworn the headstrong, rash Lee Minhyuk would’ve confessed his strong feelings much sooner than this. It’s one of the reasons he’d felt so strongly about saying it to Hyungwon as soon as possible… But, if even Minhyuk waits for the right timing, then maybe he should—

“I’ve felt this for a long time,” Minhyuk goes on, seeming even more nervous than before, “but I didn’t want to ruin what we have. I just can’t hold it in anymore, hyung. I love you so much I could just explode. Keeping it to myself just wasn’t possible anymore… I’m sorry if this ruins everything.”

There’s one moment of silence, then two. Changkyun waits with bated breath, gaze flicking between the floor and Hyungwon. Finally, Hyunwoo’s voice reverberates through the air.

“I know you love me. I love you, too, Minhyukkie.”

He says that as if it’s the simplest thing in all the world, as if it didn’t mean what it does. Changkyun shifts to lean around Hyungwon and peek into the kitchen in time to see Minhyuk throwing himself into Hyunwoo’s arms. The two share a kiss, and Changkyun can’t help the relieved smile pulling at his lips. He feels Hyungwon’s hands on his waist pulling him back up, and he finds himself leaning against his boyfriend for a warm embrace.

Maybe he will wait… After all, if even Minhyuk could wait until the right moment, so could he.