Chapter 3

From A Distance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Always put your family first.”

would have been music to anyone’s ears if it had been on any other regular day.

 

But this wasn’t any other day.

 

And I honestly would have preferred if it was; especially when it meant now that Seulgi would be disappearing—almost for good.

 

“ We’re migrating to the United States. With my parents, Juhyun’s and Joy.”

 

I watched as Seulgi chuckled—trying to ease the mood as she continued.

 

“ You guys have been doing extremely well and really independently. So there shouldn’t be much of a difference since everyone has always been capable enough to run the show.”

 

It was supposed to be a joke, but it hit me so hard.

 

It hit me so hard because I would have rather that she felt that she made a difference.

 

Because maybe then, she’d have more of a reason to stay if we pleaded.

 

But that would have been really selfish.

 

And for someone who had been unselfish towards everyone, Seulgi deserved to decide for once to be selfish for herself, and her family.

 

I couldn’t even be angry.

 

Because Seulgi deserved to be happy and this was what would make her happy.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

was all it took to solder the broken pieces of my heart together for a moment when we were about to exit the meeting room.

 

Seulgi’s voice was laced with so much concern as she put a hand on my shoulder and with the way she had looked into my eyes with so much guilt, how could I have said no?

 

I could only nod, so that she couldn’t catch the lies through my trembling voice if I spoke.

 

Yet I don’t know what hurt more—listening to her beating heart that I knew could never be mine as she pulled me into a hug, or the fact that it would be but a pure memory in three months.

 

Still, at least I was allowed to cry about it nevertheless, right?

 

And so I did, into the fabric of my bed when no one could see me that night.

 

Because after all, it was just me falling apart from my own feelings.

 

I couldn’t make her stay.

 

Because I wasn’t someone important enough to Seulgi to do that.

 

Although she was someone important to me, and someone I wanted to impress so much but I ended up screwing up every single time.

 

The worst one was when Seulgi needed to travel to the States and she needed a visa.

 

I ended up jeopardising the application because of the lack of help I had on such matters and she wound up spending six hours at the embassy.

 

“ There are some incom

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter