Tell Me Your Name

Tell Me Your Name

Being a highschooler Kim Mingyu wasn't too fond of the early mornings he had to go through or the long classes that would last till 5 in the evening; But what helped him through the troubles of a young junior high kid was one person..... He just doesn't know his name yet.

 

Every morning and every night Kim Mingyu would share the same bus with a guy. This guy had amazing features, small eyes, a button nose, pink lips and black hair that was as dark as the night sky in Seoul. Mingyu knows that the guy goes to his school since he was wearing the same uniform as he was. He never had a chance to follow him to see what year he was on, he was just sure that he was a schoolmate of his.

 

There was something about the guy that caught Mingyu's attention. His sharp features would always linger in the back of Mingyu's mind, his milky white skin that was almost as white as snow made his cheeks burn. Mingyu knew it wasn't normal for a typical male highschooler to have these thoughts towards another guy but it all felt right.

 

Add to that, he would always see him with his headphones on. Mingyu grew curious, he wanted to know what the guy was listening to. Sometimes he would see him in the morning dozing off and sometimes during the evening, he would see him open his phone and look over his playlist. Mingyu was curious in general and he wanted to befriend him. 

 

There were times where Mingyu would be late to the bus and he was stuck standing, while the guy would just sit in front of him. Mingyu could always feel his heart flutter around him, he had hoped that some day the guy would open a conversation with him. Mingyu would have hoped that the guy would notice by now that they always share the same bus in and out of school. 

 

Mingyu could recall a special moment, where the bus was jampacked with people, there was no other choice but to cling to the bars at this point. The guy that would always share the bus with him stood right next to him. Mingyu immediately worried for the guy's height as the bar was too high for him to reach. He wasn't hoping for anything, but Mingyu clung both of his hands on the bar and looked at the guy beside him. 

 

"You can hold on to--"

 

But due to the loud traffic, his voice was barely heard. The guy simply reached for the pole near the bus door and stood there. Mingyu could almost laugh at how ridiculous he looked. 

 

Mingyu would have hoped that he didn't come off as creepy, but his friend Myungho begged to differ. Mingyu explained that it was really hard to talk to the guy in the bus. He felt like there was this barrier where his voice couldn't reach him. 

 

During breaks, when there are times that Mingyu would miss his bus buddy; destiny would always help him out. During a summer day in Seoul, Mingyu was waiting in the bus stop with an iced americano in hand. There he was accompanied by the same guy he would always share the bus with. Mingyu panicked, his eyes widened and tried to play it cool till he realizes that the guy doesn't even know him for him to act that way. 

 

And as Mingyu expected, they shared a bus going home. The guy, with his messy black hair and denim jacket sat by the far right while Mingyu sat on the opposite side of the bus. The guy recently purchased from a music shop as Mingyu could see the label of the shop in the bag. As soon as Mingyu reached his stop, he was about to get off the bus when suddenly he was stopped by a voice.

 

"Hey!" 

 

Mingyu turned to find the guy he had been crushing on looking at him. Mingyu looked left and right, making sure it was him he was calling.

 

"You dropped this." The guy said as he approached him with his handkerchief. 

 

Mingyu dumbfoundedly got his handkerchief back and with a shy thank you, he was given a smile back.

 

Mingyu walked back to his home with a pep on his step and a giddy smile plastered on his face. 

 

That was the time that rendered Mingyu to where he was now. He was finally ready to ask the guy for his name. They were the only ones left in the bus as it was en route back to his house. Mingyu once again found himself on the opposite side from the guy. His feet shifted and his hands were getting a little bit moist than usual. Mingyu could feel his throat burning and his mouth going dry at the same time. 

 

His nervousness continued to wash over him. Mingyu continued to debate whether he should ask him now or later. He was too caught up in his head that he didn't realize that he already passed his stop. Mingyu only came to his senses when his eyes caught the guy standing up and heading towards the bus door. And at that moment, Mingyu took a huge gulp, held his breath and rushed to the guy's side.

 

"H-Hey!" Mingyu looked like a lost deer. The guy turned around to face him.

 

"Yes?"

 

"I know you don't know me. My name is Mingyu." Mingyu introduced himself, "But we usually take the bus together and  I was hoping if we can be friends..."

 

The guy gave his usual cheshire smile and said, "We can."

 

With a sigh of relief, Mingyu's heart could finally calm down.

 

"May I ask for your name?" Mingyu asked.

 

"Jihoon. Lee Jihoon." The said guy nodded before stepping off of the bus. Mingyu's eyes were fixed on Jihoon as the bus doors closed. Mingyu had a silly canine like grin on his face, as he made himself comfortable on the bus seat. He was on a high before actually snapping off and panicking to himself as he needed to get off the bus and go to the other side to take a taxi home.

 

Mingyu felt flowers blooming inside his stomach. No words can describe how incredibly happy he was.

 

"Jihoon.." He sighed to himself.

 


 

"Hey Jihoon." A man approached the said guy across the street.

 

"I thought you had club activities?" Jihoon furrowed his eyebrows together.

 

"I skipped it." Soonyoung smiled, "Wasn't he the guy you told me about that you had a crush on?" 

 

Jihoon's pale face turned red as an apple, "Oh.. you saw that?"

 

"Yeah, I saw you internally panicking in your head." Jihoon's friend joked. "Did he finally ask you out?"

 

"Mingyu just asked me to be friends... unfortunately." Jihoon awkwardly said in response. 

 

The two laughed as they walked back home together, "Don't worry. I can tell he likes you too."

 

"I hope." Jihoon admitted, immediately getting shy by his own statement.

 

And sometimes certain circumstances just happen for the both of you.