Coincidence

The Art of Moving On

"Can I buy you another drink?" A lady clad in a loose black sweater made her way to the empty seat beside Seulgi, who is yet again drowning her sorrows with one, two more drinks, too many to count.

Irene can't be mistaken, when she made her way inside the local pub the lone figure by the farthest corner has caught her attention. And as she moved closer,the woman's side profile came into view, it's the stranger who saved her.

Seulgi wasn't keen for small talks, so she chose the farthest corner to sit on, away from the crowd. Most bar patrons are crowding the tables situated near the stage where a live band is performing. And she only wanted to see the crowd to chase away the feeling of loneliness somehow, but not to actually join them.

Seulgi was to not pay any attention but there was a hint of familiarity with the voice that made her turn her attention to the unwanted space invader. And she was met with an achingly familiar face, one with complimentary strong and soft, prominent features, a face that caught her attention couple of times, and tonight is no exception as she stare at the beauty who now occupies the seat beside hers.

Seulgi is not one to stare stare, but with the girl she cant help it. There was a hint of smile- smirk on the girl's face and a mischievous glint on her eyes. She's wearing her make up to a bare minimum but her lips are naturally red under the light illuminating their corner.

When was the last time a girl had this effect on her? Ah, she wouldn't want to remember. Seulgi is out for one reason- to forget.

"You really should stop with that stare, you're starting to creep me out." Irene spoke, successfully pulling the girl out of her daze state who immediately looked away with a flushed cheeks due to embarrassment. It didn't go unnoticed to Irene who let out a chuckle at the cute display.

Irene called for the bartender and ordered for them both- a glass of wine for each. " I hope you don't mind? I know it's not the best place for wine, but it's the only drink I can take."

Seulgi was skeptical but took the offer nonetheless. One more glass of wine wont hurt.

Then there was silence, just their constant sipping from their respective glasses. One minute, two, three, ten minutes pass, the clock overhead was ticking, time dwindling by slowly. But soon it turned twenty three minutes and a second of pure silence. Seulgi chose to settle her eyes on the ticking hand of the watch while the woman beside her sips from her glass. No words were exchanged between them, but contrary to what Seulgi initially expected would be an awkward time sitting with this really pretty stranger, there is nothing but comfortable silence as both sit side by side, with a few glances when the other is not looking.

After what felt like forever of sipping wine from their glasses, Seulgi decided it's time to go. So she took her wallet out, producing a couple of hundreds of paper bills and stood up- there was nothing more stay for but an empty glass she has no plans to refill. But to her surprise the other woman beat her with footing the bill when she already had her card swiped by the bar attendant, saying she's paying for both their bill.

Seulgi shakes her head in amusement of the situation, there was nothing funny really, but she's somehow amused at the weirdness of the situation.

She is already taking her leave but the other girl stayed rooted in her seat yet eyes trailing on Seulgi's retreating form. A few steps taken and Seulgi stopped only to turn to the woman whose eyes never left her form.

"Aren't you coming?" Cocking her head to the side invitingly she asked her. The woman gave a small smile as she stood from her seat and made her way to Seulgi who is waiting near the exit.

Irene doesn't know her well except for the other woman's name she was able to obtain from the security person guarding the woman's unit building, that they live in the same area- buildings across from each other and that she save her, that's it. But considering how she saved her life and was really nice enough to buy her a hot choco and lend her a jacket, Irene feels secure around the taller woman, she seems harmless- she actually reminds her of a bear with her adorable features. Yes Irene admits her new company is adorable looking. She'll never know, but the look in her eyes and her angelic, perfectly structured face tells her that she can be trusted.

They walked to the exit and she opened the door for Irene as they made their way out to the streets. As they are welcoming the winter season the cold air greeting them should be expected, making Irene feel the shiver run down her spine. The two made their way out in the lone street  walking side by side where a few people are walking in the middle of the night.

No clear destination, nothing particular in mind. Just two lonely souls who found unexpected comfort in each others company, walking side by side in silence, letting their feet take them to places.

As the breeze turn colder, Seulgi can no longer ignore the shivering of the girl beside her and pretend not to hear her chattering teeth.

"You really should work on your choice of clothing to match the season miss..?" Seulgi commented as she tried remembering her name, blame her who forgets the simplest thing such as asking for a name.

"Irene, my name's Irene. We haven't introduced ourselves formally yet. I said I'd introduce myself when we meet again, remember?" Irene said as she rub her arms with both hands slightly, trying to feel warmer in anyway possible.

"Ah, yes, right. And I suggest you work on getting yourself a new set of winter clothing to keep yourself from freezing to death on this cold season." Seulgi said as she slips her jacket off, and carefully draping it over the girl's shoulders with a pat. "I can't be around all the time to lend you my jackets, Irene." Seulgi comments chuckling.

Irene stopped in her track as she looked at Seulgi, she was smiling, eyes forming a crescents smiling along. But Irene can't help but notice how her smile never reached those black orbs. She grab a hold of the article of clothing that is now giving her relief and sheild from the cold winter breeze.

"It's a size bigger but works just fine for me. I guess I'll just have to make sure I bump into you often to borrow a jacket." Slipping both arms on the jacket's sleeves and holding it close to her body in a hug, Irene can still feel the natural, lingering warmth it has that brings relief from the chills, Irene looks at the person walking beside her before uttering her thanks. "Thank you Seulgi."

To say Seulgi was surprised that the girl knows her name is an understatement. With an incredulous look she turned to Irene. "W-wh... Hey! H-how'd you know me?!"

Irene only giggled at the sight of a flabbergasted bear. She walked a tad bit faster as the sight of a deserted park came into view, it's conveniently near their apartment buildings. Irene made her way to the swing sitting like a kid out to play on the swing and started to rock it slowly while Seulgi walks closely behind and stayed standing, leaning on the swing's post, observing the petite woman who now has a gleeful smile as she rocks herself by the swing, reminding her of an innocent child.

"I'm surprised you know my name. Are you stalking me?" Seulgi asked once more.

Irene only looked at Seulgi still amused. She puts a halt to her rocking the swing to turn her full attention to Seulgi. She met the monolid woman's black orbs that seem to draw her in, to stare a second longer.

"I saw you the other day and figured you live in that building." Irene said as she points to Seulgi's apartment building. "I was meaning to return the jacket you lend me last time, so I asked the security guard of the building if you really live there. That's how I got your name Miss Kang Seulgi."

Seulgi nods thoughtfully, her mind processing the information. "Okay, sounds valid enough. But hey! You got my complete name and now I'm lending you a second jacket. Are you trying to leave me with no more winter jackets before this season ends?" She ends it with a pout.

Irene can't help chuckling at the cute display of the other woman, she opened and gone was the cool, melodramatic aura Irene thought she was. And was replaced by an adorable bear.

"Well you caught me with my plan!" Irene beams, playing along. "I, Irene Bae, was planning to do just that, save me from a whole lot of winter shopping hassle if I can just keep borrowing from you." She grins wider.

It's fun and comfortable, Seulgi thinks as she engage in a playful exchange with Irene Bae. She can't remember when was the last time she had so much fun from simple exchange of words. Right now is a good reminder of how much she's actually missing out.

"This is nice." Irene hums as she tore her eyes away from Seulgi and faces the night sky, eyes closed.

Seulgi looks up above the vast black sky, no stars to light it up, akin to how her days are, all dull with no one to brighten it up. But at the most unexpected of times snow starts to fall, bringing the white color down, filling in the space. Seulgi is caught in a trance as she tries to take in the sight of first now, and feel the little cold flakes hit her face one after another.

Irene opens her eyes to look at the taller girl who has been silence before following her line of vision, her gaze was met by the vast black sky that seem to swallow her whole into a pit of darkness and loneliness.

"With no stars out, the night sky seem nothing but a bottomless pit of loneliness and sadness." Irene utters, voicing out what's on her mind. And Seulgi couldn't agree more, the girl voiced out what she also has in mind right now- but now there's more.

There was silence that engulfed them again- except for the constant creeking of the swing as Irene rocks herself slow and Seulgi was lost in her own pool of thoughts- the two did nothing else, slowly they have gotten used to the silence that envelops them. As Irene stood up from where she was sitting, she looked up the sky once more, and finally sees the dust of white falling. She opened her hand and waited for a flake to land on her palm. It's cold.

"Snow..."

Seulgi who was lost in her ow trail of thoughts snapped out of it and turned to the now standing Irene who is looking up and has her hand open, palm up like waiting for something to be given to her. She too looked up and see the snow falling, more and more falls coating the surface of the earth- if only it could also cover and numb her aching heart like how the snow brings a magical beauty to the earth, that no season can compare. She's not Kang Seulgi if she doesn't know how to look at the brighter side.

"There may be no stars yet to brighten the night sky, but there is now this white dust falling to start filling up our world and turn it whiter, maybe brighter." Seulgi says, and Irene could not agree more, the words she say are the very same things she has in mind.

Seulgi looked at Irene, and there under the night sky illumanated by the light coming from the lamppost, and with snow falling on her she seemed brighter, looking so ethereal like an ice princess.

Seulgi moved closer to Irene and dusted the snow off her hair, she's taller and their height difference is quite a nice match. The thoughtful act made Irene froze for one moment before smiling slightly looking up at Seulgi. "You can get sick if you let the snow melt on your head." Seulgi mumbles, a slight frown visible.

"I guess I'm glad to be spending the first snow with you. It's far better than watching it alone, and it would have been disappointing to miss this." Irene said, not tearing her gaze from her.

Seulgi looks at the girl. "You're glad you're with a stranger on first snow?"

"Well you're more than just a stranger to me now. And this is far better than be cold out alone, tomorrow or the following days, I have a feeling I'll be seeing you around more." Irene answers thoughtfully. "And I still have to return your jackets, of course after washing them clean."

Seulgi cannot help but smile and shake her head over the other girl's words. But maybe she's right, there's a nagging feeling, a thought, some voice telling her there will be more of seeing Irene in the future.

As they looked at the snow falling they linger on the same thoughts. That you dont actually have to see stars all the time to say that the night sky is beautiful, it takes a few turns to see there are other things that can put colors in and beauty to the dark sky. You just have open your eyes in order to see them, and learn to start appreciating the things that are present, than search for the things not around.

It's a matter of perspective.

 

 

 

- - -

A/N: I'm trying to get back on track. A couple of months ago, I thought my life was going to stop. I have physical scars as reminder of how much evil lives in this world, and that I was actually wishing for death to come. I still am a lonely soul, but I wouldn't want to give up without giving my all. Depression is still taken lightly, if not viewed as something unacceptable in the community I am in. If you are able to read my note until the end, thank you.
Thank you for taking time to read this. It means so much to me more than you can imagine.