Strange

The Art of Moving On

Keying in her passcode to unlock the door, Seulgi reminds herself that she needs to change the lock combination - there's no more anniversary for her to remember.

She reaches for the switch by the side of the door to turn the lights on before taking her shoes off, kicking them to the side by the shoe rack that has been a mess, and proceeds to her kitchen where she places the plastic bag full of junk foods on the island counter directly facing the living room area.

She walks arounds her place that is designed as a wide open space with high ceiling done in purpose so she can see everything in one turn, and then there's the set of polaroid photos stuck up on the glass wall - its' all the photos she took with her - that catches her attention, lonliness suddenly in the air once more. She reminds herself to take them down before her friend Joy pops in her place or she'll surely receive some good nagging.

Maybe she can make time tomorrow to do just that, after all she did promised her friends she will do her best to move on.

Her unit is really spacious- she wanted it this way because she hates enclosed space and maze-like interior of houses. But no matter how big the space is to breathe Seulgi feels suffocated - with the silence and the memories lingering around.

She lets out a heavy breath, takes the beers and a can of Pringles before setting herself on her old couch, it made a creaking sound - she made a mental note to buy a new one soon.

Staring up she can see some visible cracks on the ceiling and paint peeling off, she has completely forgotten how to maintain her place - she feels more alone than ever, with the silence and the loneliness suffocating her.

She finishes her first can of beer in big gulps before crushing the thin metal absentmindedly, the bitter taste of the alcohol lingers.

She thinks of all the things she wanted to change around herr, things she promised her friends in order to prove she's really doing something about moving on and its not just empty words coming from her - but with every little thing that is changing, Seulgi felt like it's a step farther from home.

It will no longer feel the same - no longer feel like home.

Seulgi sighs once more. She grabs the remote control to turn the installed wireless surround sound speakers on and connects her phone to play random songs on her playlist in order to chase away the silence. She takes another can of beer and opens the Pringles can to munch on her favorite potato chips.

Soon enough mild music fills the room, an English song she discovered recently is playing.

Is this what it feels like to be lonely?
And though i’m not afraid,
I know it won’t be the same without you

Seulgi lowers the volume down, the song is such a killer to her mood right now. She takes a sip from her beer, eyes wandering but not seeing.

A loud grumble from the sky breaks Seulgi from her trance, looking out her window it's dark outside and has started to pour making the view outside all blurry as drops of rain hits her glass wall.

The image of the girl earlier in her soaking wet hoodie and shivering state enters her train of random thoughts and brings her back to that night.

-

 

As the truck went on its way along with the other rushing cars liked nothing out of usual happened, two individuals are still rooted in place. One is still dumb stricken and the other still shocked and shaking in some stranger's embrace.

Seulgi was the first to recover, realizing their current situation she wills the two of them to stand up and losens her hold of the girl but not entirely letting go of her, afraid she might faint or something as the girl look so fragile and keeps shaking in her arms.

"A-are you okay miss?" She asks, looking down at the smaller girl.

"I.. ah .. uh.. "

The girl is still trying to process everything that just happened, she almost got into an accident, and the thought sent shivers down her spine making her shake. What will she be if not for this woman who saved her just now? She can't imagine.

Seulgi felt the girl shake some more, so she placed both hands on her shoulders to steady the shaking girl and earning her attention. Seulgi looked at her intently, deep brown eyes meets a shaking chocolate pair where mixture of shock and fear evident even in her lovely face. Shivering in cold and tears b in her eyes, Seulgi can see how vulnerable the girl is. Since the first time she had seen her in the club earlier, the girl with her pretty face but sad eyes bothered Seulgi.

It's cold, yes, but the thought that she almost met the grim reaper made the girl feel like the coldness of the surrounding is nothing compared to experiencing a scare of losing her life.

"I ... I uh.. th-thank y-you for uhm s-saving me.." In a stuttering state the girl managed to say her thanks to Seulgi, still trying to recover and getting a hold of her senses.

"You're welcome, miss. Are you okay, are you hurt anywhere?" Seulgi cant help but to feel worry washing over her as she looks the girl up and down for any sign of discomfort.

"I'm uhh... y-yeah, I t-think I'm f-fine.Thank y-you again for pulling m-me and cushioning my f-fall."

 

Seulgi's POV

I examined the girl, she said she's fine but she's shivering and her teeth chattering, her clothes was soaked earlier and clearly she is feeling really cold now. I can still feel she have not yet fully recovered from the incident just now.

The girl returns to silence and lost from the world again. So I took my jacket off and placed it around her shoulder, held her by the hand and started walking, dragging her with me not letting her protest. I'm guessing she's still not in her right senses to protest, she's just letting me.

I shake my head as we walk together, why am I doing this? I don't even know her name. I sigh.

I lead us to the nearest coffee shop and ordered a cup of hot coffee, she needs a drink to warm up and calm down. When I placed the cup in front of her, she only eyed it.

I push the mug closer to her. "Please drink, it'll help warm you up."

She looks up at me before shaking her head. "S-sorry but  I don't drink coffee."

"Oh." Is all I can say. "What do you want then?"

"A hot chocolate if they have one." She meekly replies. I nod.

I made my way to the counter once more and ordered hot chocolate. Right, this should be the correct drink, I shouldn't have ordered coffee, it's not the right drink to calm the nerves - how dumb of me.

When my order is served, I returned to our table where the girl is staring blankly out the window.

I tapped the table to grab her attention. "Hey, uhm here's your hot chocolate." I placed the mug in front of her before taking a seat opposite her. I took the coffee mug and took a sip of the warm beverage as I eye her.

Trembling fingers wrapped around the hot mug, I heard her sigh. She's so pale, and still trembling once in a while, the warmth probably has relieved her of the cold somehow.

She takes the mug up to her lips with delicate fingers. After a few sip from her drink I started to see color tinting her cheeks, spreading. Gone was the cold as ice face I saw earlier. Her shivering has stopped as well.

The shop is void of people apart from the two of us and the barista manning the cash register. We just sat here in silence, her drinking from her mug of hot chocolate and me silently observing her while I sip my own coffee.

She got me all curious, mostly it's her eyes that shows everything she hides with a blank face that she's wearing. I mean, I know simply because I can see the same emotions when I face the mirror and stare in my own eyes where a pool of emotions are swirling.

We've been here for almost an hour now or so, I think. It's just us with empty mugs on the table top, and me resting comfortably in my seat blatantly staring at her deep in my thoughts about her beautiful yet sad eyes.

"You can stop staring and start talking, you know?" I'm completely immense in my thoughts that somehow she startled me when she spoke.

"Huh?"

"I'm really thankful uhm- miss, and I don't know why you've done what you did and why are you doing this right now but I'm really thankful to you."

"Oh... Oh that, I think anyone in my position earlier would do the same." I replied

"I beg to differ, I believe majority of people only minds their own business nowadays and doesn't care about others even more so to strangers, it's why I'm thankful it was you who's around. I owe you my life for saving me- you just put a stop to my unwanted meeting with the grim reaper."

I cant help but chuckle at what she said. I don't exactly know how to react, one moment I thought she'd be breaking but now, when she started to talk, she proved me wrong.

She smiled at me and I'm completely mesmerized, in a daze looking at her.

She stood up and I was startled.

"I'm going ahead now. I'm in debt with you miss, and if by some miracle we bumped into one another in the future, you can ask me for what is due of me and a cup of coffee. Thank you."

She then started walking towards the door.

Oh wait, what? She's leaving already? I stood up as well when I saw her already opening the door, but as if forgetting something, she looked back to me before saying...

"I'm glad I was saved by one good looking girl like you. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hitting on you, I'm being honest."

What was that? Her words left me dumfounded as I watch her wave a hand before opening the door and exited the place. I was left with my mouth gaping, loss for words and completely surprised at the turn of event.

-

 

Seulgi's train of thoughts was broken by the sudden change of the song to an upbeat one, it hits the chorus and unconsciously she smiled.

Maybe we're perfect strangers
Maybe it's not forever
Maybe intellect will change us
Maybe we'll stay together
Maybe we'll walk away
Maybe we'll realize
We're only human
Maybe we don't need no reason

She didn't manage to get her name, her jacket is still with her and for the first time in a while Seulgi was interested with something that has nothing to do with her pitiful state - she's curious of that perfect stranger.

Knowing the girl actually lives just across, Seulgi knows they'll meet each other again and she hopes it's gonna be sooner.

-

A/N: I'm on a roll