Wrong Number

Safe Haven

”Can you bring me cream and extra chicken tonight?”

 

That’s how the text read on his screen. Jinki has no idea how it appeared there. He doesn’t recognize the number and doesn’t recall giving his number to people recently. So the best thing he can do is ignoring it and put it far away from his reach because he needs to finish his work before the meeting at four and he can’t be distracted by the new pokemon games he just installed few weeks ago.

He keep typing and clicking here and there until another one landed about ten minutes later.

 

“Please? It’s not that I can’t get it by myself. Got lots of work to do until 6. And I need to cook before 8.”

 

Jinki put his glasses down and massaging the bridge of his nose. He’s contemplating whether he should tell whoever it is that they got the wrong number or just pretending nothing happened until the sender got tired themselves.

 

“YAA!! I know you’re there! Why don’t you reply to me?!”

 

Okay, that’s it. He decided not to do the right thing and back to his work.

 

“Choi Minjung! I swear to God! Can you please just be nice to me this one?”

 

This is worse than pokemon and JInki couldn’t focus anymore.

 

“After all this friendship we had?”

“After I got you the signature of your favorite actor?”

“Minjung ah! You’re really a heartless ! You changed your number and didn’t answer to me!! I’ll rip all the poster you kept on your wardrobe!”

“Okay fine! Find something for your dinner from now on! I would never feed you anymore!”

 

At the span of less than five minutes, four new messages scrambled on his phone.

“Jinki! I need it before 3.30! We got to make some copy first before the meeting!”

“Why don’t make it here? The meeting it’s on 4, right?” he grunted to the man with the sky blue shirt.

“Yes, captain. But we won’t have it here, instead, we’re going to their hotel.”

“What?!”

“You still have 30 minutes before I grab my suitcase and drag your there.”

Jinki couldn’t help but gritted his teeth. He grabbed his phone and typed rapidly on it.

 

“I’m sorry but I think you got a wrong number. This is not Choi Minjung’s new number.”

 

Before the phone seated on his desk, it vibrates madly noticing a new message. And what’s inside there makes Jinki want to slam his phone to the trash bin.

 

“Why don’t you tell me sooner, you weirdo!!”

 

***

He tossed the key to the kitchen table and opened the fridge to grab some beer. But it seems Jonghyun already finished all their stock and forgot for the nth time to buy some before they ran out of it.

“Kim Jonghyun, you !”

Of course the said man doesn’t replied back for he’s not home yet, maybe still hanging around with his new girlfriend. Jinki slammed his bedroom door then changed his clothes in a flash. Crisp black shirt replaced by black jeans and oversize hoodie before he’s heading out to the nearest supermarket.

The autumn wind greets him once again when he walked on the street, making him clutch his fist inside his pockets. For sure, he will get some beers within a minute and head home really fast, unlike the other day, hanging around in front of the store to enjoy some air.

While waiting on a line to pay all the stuff he picked, his phone clings, and what flashed on his screen surprised him much.

 

“I’m sorry for whatever I said before, that was rude. Have a nice evening! :)”

 

What the heck?

When Jinki stopped answering the unknown messages he got at the rush hour, he didn’t expect someone on the other line will keep texting him after more than four hours. Even more, apologizing for their behavior.

 

“No probs. I hope you got the right number and manage to text your friend. :)”

 

He regretted putting the smile emoticon at the end of his text right after it’s delivered. But when his phone chimed within five minute, that thought fade away gradually.

 

“Apparently, I saved the wrong number indeed. Hers’s exactly same with yours, except the third number. I need to call her boyfriend to realize.”

“Did you get your chicken?”

“Haha! You must be dumbfounded some stranger sent you a random text like that. But sadly, no :(

“Why? :O”

“I haven’t told you that my best friend sometimes is an ? She went on a date with her new boyfriend and not coming back home before midnight.”

“I’m sorry. I’m also a victim of an best friend. He finished all the beer, left me with empty fridge.”

“At least my friend always refill every three days.”

“Lucky you. Do you still need the chicken by the way? I’m in the supermarket now. Haha.”

“Nope. I ate something else for dinner. How will you bring the chicken for me anyway, you fool?! Haha!”

“Like this.”

 

And Jinki turned his heels to the fridge at the end of the alley and took a picture of pack of chicken before pressed the send button. On the other line, a girl with the soft dimple under her jaunty cheekbones laughed so hard under her blanket, somehow feeling fortunate she saved the wrong number this morning.

***