Dark Tunnel

다크 터널 (Dark Tunnel)

The rain was pouring down heavily, cleansing the sins of the filthy paper town. Truth was engulfed beneath the earth. The culprit walked arrogantly on the drenched earth, leaving the crime scene. He was once sure his masterplan was successful but not until a witness showed up. But dilemma devoured the witness because she was put in the middle of nowhere. The culprit was her loving spouse, the one that vowed to live and take care of her in this lifetime. She kept her silence days by days, hoping she was mistaken but little did she knew the guilt inside her accumulated until depression eating her soul little by little. A year passed, three years passed and finally five years passed. Five years spending her life with a criminal, putting on act, just to make sure the beautiful fantasy she once craved, stayed there. She didn't want to ruin her marriage. He was the love of her life, how could she turned him down. "Just for this lifetime", she repeated this phrase everytime the guilt emerged from her tiny heart. 


But the beautiful fantasy that she built together with her love didn't last long. Five years was just a number. Fate finally betrayed them. The vowed on one of the most crucial chapter of her life was shattered with just a piece of paper. A divorce paper. From her husband. Everything became dark. She couldn't reason the situation. They had a very good marriage life. But the only weakness of the bond was no descendants to tight it stronger. Finally this darkness drowned her. She could only breath the bitter air. Every breath came with pain. She questioned herself. They loved each other but why did did this happened. Really karma? You .

The sound of clanking high-heels was dominant as a lady in red stepped calmly into the office. As she walked toward her husband desk, he looked up and stared at her deeply. Her facial expression changed as she stopped right in front of the table. Anger, frustration, bewilderment and depression. Her feeling was mixed at once. 


"Do you even consider my thoughts? Do you even know what have I done for you? Y-you only care about yourself, don’t you?” , she blurted, throwing a large envelope on his desk. He stared at the lady with a blank expression then reaching out his hand to look into the envelope. He gasped, throwing the envelope with it contain into the bin. The guy gave her a cold blank stare.


"This crap, who else know about this”, he said, making her out of the reverie. She chuckled in disbelief. 


“Why? You afraid? You murderer--”, she retorted.


"--Honey, hear me out”, he plead, gazing into her eye.


"Five years. I keep this for myself and you paid me with a divorce paper”, she said firmly, fixing her gaze on him. She clenched her teeth, inhaled deeply, trying to self-soothe away the boiling anger inside.


“You become a director because of me. This firm was mine to begin with. My family--”, she said again. This time her voice wavered a little. 


He chuckled, gazing at his wife intensely. “So finally you’re bringing that out. Consider yourself lucky, if it is not because of me, your dad’s company had been closed long time ago. And I'm not a murderer! You are wrong”. He pressed the last sentence.


"Kento--"


“Please go out. It’s my workplace. I hope this is the last time you come to visit me… abruptly as you please. And one more thing, the divorce paper, please signed it as soon as possible.”, he continued, working on his computer in front of him.


She huffed, giving him a sharp glare before storming out of the office. She slammed the door behind as she stepped out of the room. The young lady sighed deeply between her teeth. She was crushed and hurted to the core. It felt like her heart just shattered into thousands of pieces.


Kento kept banging his back head on the chair and repeated it for several seconds. He hissed spitefully. “Aishh Jenny .. she really give me headache”. He rubbed his temple. The envelope that her wife brought just now was full of his pictures on the crime scene five years ago. Some from the blackbox, some from cctv nearby. He didn't know how she got the pictures on her hand because he was sure he already deleted all the cctv videos and evidence. 


The aroma of coffee beans filled up the small cafe. Two grown up man sat on a table near the window, without uttering any word, facing the view of the rain drops  on the transparent glass. Their silence was doing the talking. One was the loving brother, the other one was the soon-to-be ex-husband. 
After awhile, the husband slurped down the bitter, hot coffee. The sound of the slurping finally broke the uneasy silence. The brother turned to him. He was his only friend. He trusted his own little sister to him but today the news of him wanting to divorce his sister really gave him a gobsmack. 


"Why? I'll try to understand you. Just tell me why?", he opened his mouth. 


Now, the good-looking guy infront of him faced him. His face was hard to read.


"Because I love her. That's why", he replied curtly.
Upon hearing the nonsense, he clenched his fists in anger. He chuckled a little.


"I'm serious Joon. I don't want people to call her a murderer's wife", he added, sighing heavily. He bowed down in despair.


"Y-you .. you mean--", the brother gasped in disbelief. They tried so hard to eradicate all the evidences, for years. "-- Are you insane!!".


"I have made my mind, Joon. I'll surrender to the police. Don't get involved in this again. I'll pay for my sins. Please take a good care of her .. for me", the husband said, gazing on his only friend bright eyes.


"Please", he said again. He reached out his friend's hand. 


The brother sighed heavily. Again, their silence was doing the talking.


Today was just like another day. As usual, she put on her mask, hiding all the pain beneath. It has been a week since her official divorce. Everyday was like a bitter sweet that she needed to consume so that her loving parents and her caring brother won't get bothered. She didn't want to be a burden to anyone, anymore.


But, this morning, she received a text, from her one and only love, her ex-spouse. He wanted to meet up for once. She didn't bother to ask the reason, enough by seeing him for one last time will be a temporary medicine for her depressive life right now.


There, she was waiting for him, on a coffee shop that he loved to visit. The coffee there was his only liking. She was waiting on the corner anxiously. The feeling was similar to their first date there. She kept tapping her fingers with the upbeat music played on the cafe's speaker. Tik. Tok. The clock was ticking hastily but his shadow was nowhere to be seen. She looked around, almost an hour aleeady passed. 
Beep. Beep. Her phone vibrated twice. Several notifications popped up. From him. She opened the text.


You look exceptionally beautiful in white today. Your braid look nice on you too.


She looked around. He was there the whole time but she couldn't see him. She read another message.


Take care of yourself. You seem thinner. 


Now her heart just couldn't take it. This ain't fair. The sense of betrayal really pricked her soul. 


This is really the last time. I'm sorry and thank you for everything. Goodbye.


She frantically ran outside, he eyes was scanning the crowds. It was the rush hour. So that's why he wanted to meet up, here, in the heart of the city during the rush hour. She wanted to see him. She wanted to hear his voice. She needed to know the reason, for real. But he was gone, for good..

 

##just ignore that 다희 .. it is 제니##