Chapter 2

Step by step

The next day I see Young Jae and instead of the usual "good morning" he asks me a question. "Hey Haneul, do you think we should post something about RM visiting our cafe? It'll bring more guests." Without really thinking I replied, "That's against company policy Young Jae, you should know that too." And the conversation ended there. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It must've been several weeks since the incident of RM visiting the cafe but the events which unfolded in that short hour or so still comes back to me almost everyday. It was such a ridiculous experience to even imagine nevermind actually have it happen. I was wondering if RM or his sister would ever come back. Ah, no time to keep pondering, A guest just entered the cafe. 

"Welcome to caffè per favore! How many I help you today?" 

"A table for one please."

"Right this way miss, please choose any seat you would like." I replied with a smile

As she took a seat and began skimming through the menu I realized that her face looked a little familiar. Oh. OH. It was Namjoon's sister...?! What a coincidence for her to turn up when I was thinking about RM and her coming back. I zoned out for a while deep in my thoughts before I was snapped back to reality by her calling out.

"Ah waiter, Can I get a breakfast waffle? My elder brother said it's really good and I wanted to try it for myself." 

"Right yeah RM di- Ah! I'm so sorry I didn't mean to make such an assumption! I'm very sorry on the ca-"

Kyungmin cut me off and said,

"Ah! No worries it's fine you figured out anyways haha! I'm Kim Kyungmin or you may know be better as Namjoon's younger sister." She smiled and continued, "Namjoon came straight away that day after I sent him those pictures of the food here. I'm glad he didn't cause any trouble sneaking out here even on his day off, thank you for not posting it on social media or anything." 

"O-oh" I answered dumbly as I was still processing what Kyungmin had just said to me. "Oh!! No of course not!!! I wouldn't dare post photos of RM or any other celebrity if they came here unless if they wished for so! It's against our staff policy to do so! Not to mention he was on his day off that would've been quite rude of me!" 

I blurted all of that out and nearly blubbered on for more as if I was desperately asking to be pardoned of something I haven't even done. If it wasn't for Kyungmin's laughter at that last line I might very well have just went on for another hour. 

"Ahahaha!! Ah! Please stop!! I know you're very dedicated to your job and I'm glad to know so. It's a relief to know that place is a safe space for Namjoon and anyone else who would need it." She smiled again and gosh, her smile was so bright I think good looks must run in the family for her and Namjoon. I took her order and got her a free hazelnut latte on the house for being such a kind guest, we often did that with customers who came often to keep them coming back. The conversation Kyungmin and I had didn't really continue as it wasn't my place to pry to into a customer's private life. Kyungmin left shortly after and life continued on for another couple of weeks.

Months since Namjoon's visit. His sister has been coming back quite frequently. We grew to know each other relatively well throughout the times she came to visit and even exchanged instagrams. It turned out her part time job was quite close to our cafe. Of course it was part time and not full time like mine because she had classes to go to in university. University... What a far off dream that sounds like. I can barely afford to live here in Seoul nevermind have enough expenses to afford pursuing a degree. The very thought that I'm the same age as many girls and boys in this city who have the privilege of affording tertiary education makes me feel bitter yet the thought of me working here instead of back home, somewhere between Icheon and Yeoju, brings me a sense of relief. 

Another late and empty night at work in the cafe, at this point my hopes of seeing RM or any celebrity show up again has died down to a simple passing thought. It's been so long who could possibly wait for months. Even the weather has gotten cooler and I've began wearing sweaters to work. I sat there behind the bar counter scrolling away at twitter on my phone when a pair of guests entered. 

"Yaaa this is the place that Namjoon told us about." 

"Oh, yeah this place looks chill."

Namjoon told us about. Namjoon told us about. Namjoon told us about. That was important so I had to repeat it three times. Namjoon? Told us? About? Who on earth could it be apart from group members. I popped up behind the counter with a pair of menus in my hand and see Jin and Suga at the door, the both of them wearing inconspicuous fashion and caps, Suga with an additional black mask. God help me if I may as well faint on the spot walking over there. Ah. Jin made eye contact. Ok. Breathe. Speak. They're just any other customer. Smile. Walk. 

"Hi, welcome to caffè per favore!  How may I help you today?" 

"Table for two please." Jin replied

"Right this way." I said with my voice nearly breaking at the end. I need to calm down. I lowered my head and took a step back as I waited for their order. Alright if I read the pattern correctly the next time they come here it'd be in a three right... God no that's such a dumb intrusive thought, stop it. I wake up from my thoughts as I hear them openly discussing the menu.

" ... These all look so good I can't decide."

"I came with you because you asked me to come with you, pick something already jeez." 

"Ah... Waiter, what do you recommend on the menu here?" 

Snapped back to my senses I answered out of habit, "I would recommend our toast, we get out bread from one of the best bakeries in Seoul. If you would like something sweet our pillow toast comes in several different flavours, for something savory I would reccomend the all day breakfast toast, it comes with a side salad as well." 

Jin excitedly flipped back to the page where all of our toast dishes were on. Please pick one already this beyond excruciating to witness. Jin and Suga right before my very own eyes. Make up your mind you greedy man-child so I can go and catch my breath behind the counter. Please. 

"Then let's get the chocolate toast and a breakfast toast!" Jin said after what seemed to be a long and hard decision making session for him.

"What the hell, bro I said I'd come out to eat with you but that's ridiculous we can't eat that much. Besides we need to follow our diet." Suga groaned out. 

"Right... Our diet... Our manager won't have to know right... Bro please..." Jin batted his eyelashes at Suga at that last remark. Stop this cringey scene in front of me, I felt like I was watching some ridiculous vlive right now.

"Ah... Is it possible to get a smaller serving for the pillow toast if we get both?" 

An awkward pause ensued until I realized that Suga was speaking to me. 

"U-um I'm not too sure about how the price will be if I change it for you but that is doable."

"Don't worry we'll pay the original price, please make it one slice of toast instead of the whole loaf. Also one americano for me and a decaf almond latte for him." He gestured over to Jin.

"Ah alright I'll do that for you." Just as I was going to turn and walk off Jin added what seemed to be half jokingly.

"The food better be as good as Namjoon said it was!" 

I flashed him and a smile, or more like a grimace to be honest, why is he even talking to me so casually? Sorry but do I know you? A thousand questions about how casual Jin was with me raced through my mind as I slinked off into the kitchen. 

"Hey Young Jae, order up."

"Haneul? You don't look too good..."

"Yeah I kn-"

"No I mean you look kinda distraught." 

"Of course I mean Jin and Suga are here this time."

"What?! No I need to see this for myself." 

Young Jae pokes his head out of the kitchen door and quickly turns back to me.

"Holy you're right. Argh, I really want a picture with Suga though, it kinda for me to be saying this but he's my girlfriend's favorite member. Won't a picture of me and her favorite idol together make her suuuuper happy?" 

"Young Jae, I'm in no position to say if you can do so or not, go out there and ask them yourself but maybe once you're done with their order first." I gave him a slap on the back and hurried back out to the counter to make their drinks. I first brought out their drinks to them and then their food. 

"Woaaahhh! This all looks and smells so good! Namjoon really wasn't lying!" Jin said as he kept snapping pictures with his phone. "Bro, pose cutely with one of the toast!" 

"I just wanna eat oh my god why are you like this. The food is gonna get cold and not as tasty as it was." Suga said as he picked up the chocolate toast and made a satisfied expression at the camera. Right after Jin finished taking a pic he put the plate down and dove straight for the breakfast toast. "Oh this is really good! Thank you Namjoonie." He said the last part with a mouthful of food. 

"Ah! Yoongi ah! I was going to get you to take a photo of me with the other plate so it'd be matching!" Jin exclaimed as he was halfway through examining the picture he took of Suga. 

"Too bad I already ate it, now hurry up before it gets cold." Suga continued as he steadily depleted the breakfast toast which he seemed to have claimed for himself all of a sudden. It was quite comical to watch the two eat and see Jin try to fight for a couple bites of the plate with Suga was hogging. When they were nearly done eating I see Young Jae slowly come out behind the kitchen door, phone clutched in his hands. He cautiously walks up to the duo and asks,

"Sorry to be bothering you two in your free time. I hope you're enjoying the food that I've made." He starts off,

"Ah, yes the food is really delicious thank you." Suga and Jin both replied quite sheepishly, already knowing what he wants to ask next.

"Um, Suga would it be possible if I can get a picture of you and me together? It's for my girlfriend, she's a really big fan of you." 

Jin and Suga looked at each other and Jin bit his lip in response whilst Suga's raised his eyebrows. 

"Well um, sure anything for ARMYs and people who love them." The two got up awkwardly and Young Jae handed his phone over to Jin. Oh my goodness this idiot. I got up from my seat behind the counter and smiled at Jin to have him hand me the phone, gesturing that I'll take the picture instead but instead of stepping in the frame with Suga and Young Jae he just stood next to me awkwardly with his hands in front of him, as if waiting for further direction from me or someone. I snapped the picture and noticed how Jin has just been awkwardly staring the whole time. Of course, nobody asked him for a photo and he's just being ignored. As much as I hate to be intrusive on idols during their down time, since Young Jae already asked... Might as well go big or go home. 

"Hey Jin, let's take a picture together as well!" I smiled and took out my own phone. 

"Oh! Sure of course!" He turned around to stand next to me and I took a selfie of us. As I was about to put my phone down he grabbed it from my hand and said,

"Ah your arms are too short to get my good angles! Here lemme take a couple." He said before he took at least half a dozen more pictures of us. 

"Let's take a photo with everyone." I gestured for Suga and Young Jae to join us and we took another two group photos. 

Young Jae and I both said thanks and went back to letting them finish their food. I sat behind the counter and flipped through the photos we just took, Jin is truly breathtaking... Having his face on my phone felt like a sin of some sort. Quickly after Suga called out for the cheque and I was brought their bill over to them Jin began a conversation with me.

"Namjoon told us this cafe was a nice quiet spot with good food and a really respectable staff. I'm glad you guys weren't freaking out over me and Yoongi being here." I shook my head and replied,

"No, no it's my pleasure to have been able to serve you guys today. I'm sorry about the pictures earli-"

"It's no problem just please, please, please don't post them online or send them to your friends. It could start up useless rumors for us and cause a ridiculous amount of people to start showing up here as well." Suga cut me off with a slightly stern tone. He quickly added, "We only took pictures with you guys because we trust you well enough to not do so." I gulped in response, as I was about to reply Jin stepped in.

"Goddamnit Yoongi you're scaring the poor girl. Sorry if Yoongi is being rude he's just cranky because we had a rough day rehearsing today. But I agree, please don't post those photos. Technically we're not allowed to even take them, we're really placing a huge amount of trust with you guys. Namjoon has told us you guys here are trustworthy, or at least his sister says so." I nodded meekly as I trying to let the gravity of the sitation sink in. Right. They're idols. Not like me. Or anyone else. 

"Please don't be discouraged by hearing that, the food here was really good and so were the drinks. I know I was complaining about Jin taking pictures earlier but it looked amazing too. We'll definitely get everyone else to come here at least once." Suga added with a promising tone. At this point they were getting up to leave and I was still in daze trying to process all this information. 

"P-please come again! I apologize for the lack of professionalism me and my colleague showed earlier! I also look forward to your new works soon!" I blurted out. Stupid.

"Hey! We told you not to worry about that right? Your worries are also ours, let's share this as a happy memory instead." Suga said reassuringly as he flashed his signature gummy smile at me and Jin gave me a smile as well. With that I sent the two off and went back inside to tidy up their table. I see they'd left a huge tip on the bill. Bless these two. My heart was still racing like crazy just thinking about the two. I started smiling to myself without even noticing, I should put more bts songs into the cafe playlist. Oh. Wait a second. Didn't Suga say he'd make the rest of BTS come here...? I grinned even wider as the thought of that races through my mind, possible scenarios unfolding as I continue cleaning up from the day. Crap, right I forgot that Young Jae was going to send that pic to his gf. I then hurried over to the kitchen.

"Young Jae?!" 

"Hm? What is it?"

"The pictures! Don't send them to anyone! Don't post them either!" 

"Oh don't worry about that Haneul, I'm going to surprise my girlfriend with it next time I see her." 

"Gah, thank god. I'm sorry for freaking out but I don't know what goes on in that bird brain of yours sometimes." I sighed. 

"Yeah haha very funny. Let's walk to the station together, a girl shouldn't walk by herself this late at night." 

"How many times have I walked from here to the station after work? Jeez, you're so full of baloney."

Young Jae and I continued our bickering all the way until we separated ways when I had to change trains. Today was truly wild. Thank you Kim Kyungmin and Kim Namjoon. Maybe Young Jae as well for making good food so they all keep coming back. Good job on myself for making tasty drinks as well. I went home that night feeling full of confidence and that group picture of the four of us may or not have became my wallpaper during my commute back home.