His Story

And Then I Met You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

His Story

 

“Dr. Kang Mo Yeon.”

Si Jin studied the female doctor’s profile. Graduated from Myeongin University, Dr. Kang had remarkable reputations. Her surgery records were clean, she even volunteered several times in small country, Urk, and being noticed by WHO for identifying a rare virus several years ago. Those records alone enough to make Si Jin curious.

How could a brilliant doctor being sued over a wrong diagnose?

His phone rang and Si Jin glanced at the screen, rolling his eyes when he read the caller ID. The phone kept ringing, but he ignored it before the call was disconnected. Several minutes later, it rang again.

“You’re not going to answer that?”

Si Jin glanced at the person from behind his folder and scoffed, pretending to study the files even though his mood already dropped minutes ago.

“No.”

The person, a young lawyer, scooted over to Si Jin’s desk and grinned. “Your fiancee calls.”

Si Jin huffed and tapped the end button. “She’s not my fiancee. I’ve told you that several times, Ki Bum.”

The other lawyer, Kim Ki Bum, only grinned. “By reality, she’s not, but technically, she is.”

Si Jin narrowed his eyes.

Ki Bum was his junior in the law firm, several years younger than him. Si Jin was Ki Bum’s mentor when the latter first worked in the firm and two years later, he could assist his own case without Si Jin’s help. The young lawyer knew about his childhood promise and often about it.

“What do you want?” Si Jin asked in annoyance.

Ki Bum sat across from his senior and pointed at the folder. “New case?”

Si Jin shrugged and closed his folder, putting it on his desk while his junior opened it. “I haven’t said yes to it. Looks like a boring case.”

Ki Bum pursed his lip. “A brilliant and beautiful doctor gets sued.” He glanced at Si Jin. “You don’t want to take it?”

“You know about my principle in defending my client. I don’t want...”

“Yes, I know,” Ki Bum interjected. “You don’t want any dirty clients.”

“That’s right.”

The young lawyer looked again at the folder. “She looks innocent.”

Si Jin scoffed. “How can you be so sure?”

Ki Bum shrugged and put the folder on the desk. “Just a hunch.”

“Maybe she’s not professional anymore.”

“Seriously? Her records prove otherwise.”

“Humans can change.”

“Except you.”

“Huh?”

“You’ve been engaged by accident and yet, you don’t love your fiancee until now.”

Si Jin groaned. “Don’t remind me.” He glanced one more time at the folder and at that moment, his phone rang again. He was worried it was Ji Young, but the caller was his father.

Ki Bum smiled and rose from his chair. “I think you should answer the call.”

Si Jin waited until his junior walked out from his room before answering, “Yes, Dad?”

“Son, are you free this afternoon? Do you think you can spare some time for your old man?”

Si Jin chuckled. “Sure, Dad. I’m not really busy now.”

“I’ll see you in our usual place.”

“Ok, Dad.”

The lawyer tapped the end button and again, his attention was on the folder before sighing and rose from his chair.

The usual place was a coffee shop not far from Si Jin’s law firm. It was the place where he used to meet his parents when his mother was still alive. Si Jin’s parents were both lawyers before he was born. After having him, Si Jin’s mother decided to quit her job and being a housewife while his father continued his job. His old man retired years after Si Jin began his professional lawyer career. After his mother’s passing, father and son continued to meet in the same place.

Si Jin arrived at the coffee shop a little after 5 pm and his father already sat with a cup of tea. He smiled and ordered a latte before sitting across the older Yoo.

“Hi, Dad.”

Yoo Young-geun, Si Jin’s father, casted a small smile. “Son.”

“How have you been, Dad?”

“I was about to ask you the same question. You don’t have any new cases?”

“I have one about a doctor who got sued for wrong diagnose, but I haven’t agreed to assist it yet.”

“Ah, I see.”

A waiter approached their table and put Si Jin’s cup while the lawyer thanked the waiter. He looked over at his dad. “So, anything interesting?”

Young-geun stared at his son. “I’d like to ask you ab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter