Her Story

And Then I Met You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2

Her Story

 

Kang Mo Yeon arrived in Haesung, the hospital where she worked, for her shift. She loved her job although for the beginning it was merely for money. She thought by being a doctor she could have a nice life, plus she was good in math, and it added to the bonus. Everything changed after she was assign to Urk for voluntary mission to replace another doctor. The small country opened her eyes and she turned into a doctor who devoted herself for her duty and humanity after returning to Korea. For a hospital which often did everything by connections, what Mo Yeon did was an old fashion.

The doctor was aware with a patient’s family who sued her over wrong diagnose. The truth was it wasn’t her in the first place who gave the diagnose...well, not exactly a diagnose.

Mo Yeon wore her doctor coat and frowned when she remembered the moment.

**Flashback**

It was the day when Kim Eun-ji, the doctor who had a lot of connections in Haesung, did a surgery and Mo Yeon was there to assist her. It wasn’t a big one and even Mo Yeon could do it by herself. She knew why Eun-ji wanted to lead the surgery. The arrogant doctor just wanted to show off. Eun-ji was labeled a doctor who knew nothing, but because of her connections, she could be the Head Department. The surgery went smoothly until a slip happened. The patient’s blood pressure suddenly dropped.

“Blood pressure is decreasing,” a nurse warned.

The beeping sound on the machine got louder.

“What did you do to him?” Mo Yeon asked while trying to keep the patient’s heart beating.

“I did everything according the surgery manual,” Eun-ji answered with panic voice.

Mo Yeon looked over the monitor and saw the bleeding didn’t stop. She did the only thing she could. She pushed Eun-ji to the side.

“Hey!”

“I take over the surgery,” Mo Yeon said without looking at the other doctor. She stared at the nurses. “Follow my lead.”

“Yes, Doctor.”

Eun-ji narrowed her eyes while Mo Yeon was busy to keep her patient alive. When the surgery ended, it was a success, but the patient was in critical condition and had to be removed to the ICU. Mo Yeon sat quietly on the ER floor, blood was coating her surgery robe, her hands, and her face. She took several breaths and without she realized, her eyes watered. And later, she began to sob.

That was so close.

What could have happened if she didn’t take over the surgery?

“Dr. Kang Mo Yeon.”

Mo Yeon wiped her tears hastily and rose from her position. She bowed her head slightly when she saw Han Suk-won, the Director of the hospital. He stared at Mo Yeon with blank expression.

“Clean yourself and meet me in my office.”

Mo Yeon blinked. “Yes, Director.”

She quickly cleaned the blood and changed her surgery robe. When she met the Director in his office, Mo Yeon saw him stood next to the window.

“What was happening?” he asked without turning from the window.

“There was a slip, Director. I was trying to save the patient,” Mo Yeon answered.

Director Han turned his head and stared at her. “By putting him in critical condition?”

“It could’ve been worse. He could’ve died!”

The Director took a deep breath. “Dr. Kang, do you have any idea who the patient is? He’s the son of one of the chairmen of this hospital.”

Mo Yeon blinked. “What?”

“They already knew you took over the surgery as we speak.”

“But, Dr. Kim...”

“More reason for her to make you look guilty.”

“Huh?”

Director Han sighed and walked to his desk. “I heard they will sue you for conducting the surgery and causing their son in ICU.”

The doctor gritted her teeth. “I told you, I wanted to save his life.”

“There are procedures in surgery, Dr. Kang. What you were trying to do was to make you look like a hero, but unfortunately, you aren’t.”

Mo Yeon froze.

“Are you saying you will let him die?”

“If the circumstances worsen, Dr. Kim already prepared an injection to keep the patient’s heart still beating and another doctor will replace her.”

The doctor felt the chill on her spine. The surgery was only a scenario, a scenario to make Dr. Kim looked capable on doing it.

“You must know this is the way for Dr. Kim to become a professor and you just make it worse. She won’t like it.”

“Even so,” Mo Yeon said, “the reports will state she was the one who conducted the surgery.”

Director Han smiled wolfishly and approached Mo Yeon. “Things might not that simple.”

The doctor eyed her superior and took a step backward when she sensed the Director wanted to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter