ready

her eyes said it all (please speak to me again)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun's alarm went  off as it should, the sound blaring loudly throughout her room signalling the start of a day she did not want to begin yet (as per usual).

 

There's no movement from outside her room—from what she can tell, anyways—so she assumed that her parents have already left for work. Dahyun mulled over the idea of missing school as she sunk further into her bed, letting her eyes close once more.

 

Dahyun groaned when her phone went off this time. ‘Of course,’ She thinks as she saw 'Kim Chaeng~❤' flash across the screen. Naturally, Dahyun’s first instinct would be to decline the call, and so she did as such, but she soon found the name etched across the screen of her phone again. Easily giving up, Dahyun accepts it, sitting up in her bed.

 

“What could you possibly want this early in the morning?” Dahyun groaned out for a second time, her voice was thick with sleep and it made Chaeyoung, her best friend, chuckle.

 

“I’m calling you to wake you up, of course! We have that thing to do today, remember?” Chaeyoung doesn’t sound too awake herself, Dahyun noticed as she finally flipped the blankets off of herself. As she gets up from her bed, Dahyun becomes suddenly aware of just how hot it is.

 

“Oh yeah, that…” Dahyun tried to remember what it was exactly that they were doing in their class. She knows it was for their Health Science class, because it’s the only class she’s the least bit interested in. She had even decided that Chemistry, with it’s endless equations that never failed to make any sense to her, was much more interesting than learning about the history of vaccines or when the first surgery was performed.

 

“Don’t think about it, just be on time. If I have to suffer, then you will too!” Chaeyoung whined her usual whine, ending it with a sleepy chuckle before ending the call. Dahyun made a face at the other before tossing her phone onto her bed; she went to the bathroom to get ready for the day, having herself the most fantastic mini-concert as she washes up, since she had the house to herself for a moment. Nonetheless, despite not wanting to have woken up so early, she kept aware of her time and ended her concert after the fifth encore (without forgetting to placate the imaginary audience for not doing her usual ten encore performances).

 

Getting ready took no time at all, it never did for Dahyun, especially not when all she had to work with was her school uniform anyways. After getting ready and gathering her things, Dahyun made her way downstairs; she read the note her parents always left for her on days when they had to leave early, and then she was on her way. Her trip to school wasn’t long, so Dahyun decided to stop by a local cafe and order something refreshing to drink since it truly was too hot out. Dahyun reached the school early, sliding up next to Chaeyoung while sipping on her drink casually.

 

“Well, looky here, sleeping beauty finally decided to show,” Chaeyoung teased, wrapping herself around Dahyun and even stealing a long sip of her drink. “That really hits the spot, but you should be drinking water during weather like this. Otherwise you’d pass out, you know. Although, we willbe going to a hospital,” Dahyun rolled her eyes as Chaeyoung continued to tease, but she couldn’t stop her own chuckles escaping here and there.

 

“Here you go, girls,” Ms. Kim handed the two their respective pack of paper. “This is your schedule for after today. It tells you when you’re going to visit your patient and how long you’re going to have to stay with them. As you know, we’ll be doing this for two months, and during the second month, you’ll be allowed to actually get hands-on experience with caring for your patient.”

 

“I know this seems morbid, but..we’re dealing with all kinds of patients, right? Is there a possibility that one might...d—pass away?” Dahyun questions cautiously, fearing the possibility that they might just have to deal with that sort of thing. As much as she hated to admit it, she could attach herself to people pretty easily, and the last thing she’d want is to get too attached to someone who doesn’t have too much time left.

 

“Well, yes, that is a possibility. But, in all of my years doing this, that has never been the case, so let’s hope that something like that continues to not happen, okay?” Ms. Kim smiled reassuring towards the two before taking her leave to hand out more packets.

 

“Nice question, very appropriate,” Chaeyoung gave Dahyun one of her famous looks before shaking her head with a laugh. Dahyun moves to push Chaeyoung, but she dodged it expertly with another taunting laugh.

 

“Alright everybody,” Ms. Kim called as two buses pulled up to the front of the school. She counts heads before continuing. “Everyone is here, which is great, and I except everyone here to be on their best behavior. You guys are first years, but you’re not children. Besides, we’re going to a hospital, and unless you want to sick “accidentally”, I suggest you follow the rules.” The class agreed with a laugh before piling into the buses, immediately continuing their conversations once they started rolling.

 

“So, who did you get? I got someone named ‘Minatozaki Sana’..? Why...oh, she’s a transfer I guess, second year,” Chaeyoung mumbled while studying her packet, her voice almost undetectable over the loud humming of the bus and excited chatter of their classmates.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter