The Fire Lord’s Request

Four Nations

Two weeks have passed since the battle against the Scarlet Dragons. Yerin and Sojung have made a full recovery with Eunbi having minimal wounds by now. Yerin was sitting on the Agni Kai floor after practice with the girls. She sighed as she stood back up and stretched out her arms, only to stop as she saw a palace staff member rushing up to her.

 

“The fire lord requests to see you in the throne room, avatar.”

 

“Alright…I’ll be there in a bit. Thank you.”

 

Yerin got her things and began to make her way inside the palace and towards the throne room. She was surprised to see Sojung and Eunbi already there, bowing before him. She quickly joined in and did the same.

 

“Avatar! How nice to see you! Well, I have brought the three of you in here to run an idea by you.”

 

The three sat down on the floor pillows provided for them and listened closely.

 

“Now that the avatar has revealed her identity, she is at risk for many more attacks like the terrorist group that appeared a little while ago here. My idea is that for the next leg of her journey, you join the avatar and protect her, traveling to Republic City by herself is quite dangerous now.”

 

Sojung looked towards Eunbi who had a blank face as she was processing the information. Yerin raised her hand to speak and was given permission.

 

“If it’s too much of a bother, my masters don’t want to travel with me, I understand.”

 

“No! I-I mean…it would be an honor to join avatar Yerin on her journey, my lord.”

 

Sojung bowed deeply and smacked Eunbi’s arm to get her to bow too. Eunbi grumbled and stiffly bowed along with Sojung.

 

“Well then, it’s settled! Make sure to get packed as the avatar leaves in two days. Thank you for understanding. You are dismissed.”

 

As soon as they left the throne room and were in the hallway, Eunbi stormed off in a furious huff. Yerin flinched in surprise and Sojung sighed.

 

“Sorry about her. She’s..”

 

“It’s alright. I can see where traveling with me could be an inconvenience. Especially since you already have a stable career going on here.”

 

“It’s alright. She’ll warm up to the idea. Eventually. Please, be patient with her.”

 

“Will do.”

 

Yerin turned away to walk towards her room and Sojung sighed. She knocked on Eunbi’s door and slid it open without waiting for a reply.

 

“Your attitude has made Yerin sad.”

 

Sojung closed to door behind her after seeing Eunbi in a ball on her bed. She walked towards her and sat on the edge.

 

“Listen, I understand you don’t like Yerin-“

 

“That’s an understatement-“

 

“But why exactly? When she’s been nothing but kind to you?”

 

Eunbi sat up and glared at Sojung. She brought her hands up along with her blanket and groaned as she began to speak.

 

“Quite frankly, I think she’s one of the most annoying people I have ever met. Her friendliness is almost…sickening.”

 

“That’s not a good reason to not enjoy her company.”

 

“It’s just that…she…reminds me so much of…of myself..”

 

Sojung stopped her teasing tone and stiffened up as she saw Eunbi tearing up. She bit her lip and chose her next words carefully.

 

“You don’t have to continue if you don’t want to. I believe I understand now.”

 

“No it’s just…that same compassion, kindness and humility…the…naivety. It makes me mad she doesn’t know any better.”

 

“You didn’t know any better either-“

 

“I know! That’s what makes me so mad!”

 

Eunbi sniffled and quickly wiped her eyes before standing up and heading to her drawers to begin packing.

 

“When you were brought to the academy, I quickly took you under my wing. Like a sister.”

 

Eunbi said nothing and only listened as she kept packing.

 

“You were a scared child. Understandable as it hadn’t been long since the incident-“

 

“Say it.”

 

“What..?”

 

“Say it. Say that my sad excuse for parents abandoned me and left me for dead. All because I did what I thought was right..”

 

“And you did do the right thing. What I’m saying is that you weren’t alone, you had people along the way to help you find out that you weren’t wrong. And now we need to be that help for Yerin. We need to show her that even though it seems like everything is against her, we’re here for her. You can help her.”

 

“Help her..? Me?”

 

“Yes. You.”

 

“So she doesn’t end up like I did..”

 

“Exactly.”

 

Eunbi finally turned back to face Sojung and the older girl saw the sorrowful look in her eyes. She stood up and opened her arms to which Eunbi immediately ran to hug her.

 

“I…I can do that..”

 

“You got this, Eunbi. We’ll be okay.”

 

======

 

Yerin was at her last official class with Eunbi and Sojung. An agni kai was taking place between Yerin and Eunbi.

 

“I’ve had enough of your games, Yerin! Fight me!”

 

Eunbi charged at Yerin with fury in her eyes and fire blasting from her fists. Only to be met by Yerin dodging every attempt and blow. She giggled as she flipped over Eunbi and tripped her.

 

“Don’t get too cocky, Yerin!”

 

Sojung yelled from the side of the agni kai floor. Yerin was graceful as she dodged every attack coming her way and met Eunbi with multiple quick attacks that ended in Eunbi yelling in frustration and shoving her back. Yerin was on the floor for a bit seeing Eunbi run up to her but she quickly got back on her feet and kicked her chest.

 

The two were caught up in a heated battle where they were evenly matched in almost every way.

 

Almost every way.

 

Yerin had gotten the upper hand one last time before Eunbi aggressively pushed her back and got in a low stance. Yerin chuckled and charged forwards, only to be met with a blast of lightning coming from Eunbi’s fingers. It coursed through her body and sent her back almost three feet.

 

“Enough!! Eunbi, what the heck was that?!”

 

Sojung quickly made her way to Yerin who was laying in a starfish position, head staring directly at the late afternoon sky. Sojung kneeled down and the state of her was concerning. Her top was torn up in the center chest and stomach area and she seemed to be in great pain.

 

But Yerin only smiled and sat up to look at Eunbi.

 

“You finally bended lightning!! That’s insane!!”

 

Eunbi was wide eyed as she heard Yerin say this. Yeah, she really had bent lightning successfully for the first time in her life. She took a deep breath and began to walk away slowly. Yerin could see the cogs turning in her head as she thought aggressively.

 

“Let’s get you to the medics, Yerin..”

 

======

 

The three along with Jibang said goodbye to the fire lord and Eunbi had an emotional goodbye to the palace while nobody was watching. She was the last to join the group as they walked towards the docks where a boat was waiting for them.

 

They all boarded and Eunbi had a melancholic look on her face as she saw the island get smaller and smaller the further away they sailed. This was cut off by Jibang her arm to ask for her attention and Eunbi yelped. She saw Sojung and Yerin staring at her as she made that sound and quickly walked away and blushed of embarrassment.

 

“She’ll be okay. She’s just never been off the island if the fire nation. It’s all she’s ever known..”

 

“Have you been off the island, Sojung?”

 

“Yes I have. A while ago.”

 

Sojung pet Jibang and rested her elbows on the edge of the boat railing. Yerin stood next to her to listen to her attentively.

 

“I was born in Republic City to a firebending father and a waterbending mother. It was me along with my little sister who I haven’t heard from in forever.”

 

Yerin nodded and Sojung smiled as she had memories rushing back to her.

 

“My little sister got our mother’s powers and I got our dad’s. We were happy together.”

 

“Have you talked to your parents lately?”

 

Sojung’s face fell and she held her hands together as she stared deeply at the ocean wizzing past them.

 

“I lost my parents to a gang. They were killed after they didn’t meet their deadline for money they owed. Instead of listening to their appeal, they murdered them and left my sister and I alone to fend for ourselves.”

 

“Oh, Sojung…I’m so sorry.”

 

“No it’s alright, Yerin. I’ve come to terms with their deaths now. But I know my sister is still back in Republic City. And I want to use my time there to find her..”

 

“May I ask…why did she not join you to come to the fire nation?”

 

“She…she got caught up in some things with the gang I was talking about earlier…she tried to leave with me but before she could board the boat she was dragged away…and we haven’t seen each other since..”

 

Yerin rubbed her shoulder as Sojung sighed deeply and let her head hang down. Jibang rest his head on Sojung’s leg as well.

 

“We’ll find her. We’re gonna find your sister, Sojung..”

 

The boat drifted along the water slowly as they reached Republic City by early nightfall. What they saw in the distance were the bright lights of the city skyscrapers and an arena near the seashore by the docks.