Final

In our next life

Most of this was based on what happened in real life the past few years but some are purely fictional. I hope you guys will like it! 

-

 

“Where did you first meet each other?”

 

“We met at our company’s first floor dining hall.”

 

 

Hello, I’m Donghae. 

 

Hello, i’m Hyukjae. 

 

It’s nice to meet you. Please take care of me. 

 

Me too. What’s your phone number? 

 

 

“You remember everything about us, huh?” Hyukjae says, nudging Donghae playfully. 

 

“Of course,” Donghae replies smugly. “I could even list down what the both of us were wearing that day if they had asked me to.” 

 

 

You remember that as well? 

 

Of course I remember, idiot. 

 

-

 

8 years ago

 

“I don’t want Hyukjae to go overseas without me.” 

 

“Donghae, quit pouting. How old are you?” Leeteuk stares at Donghae, and the latter wants to cry and whine somemore but he notices the tired lines at the corner of his hyung’s eyes. 

 

 

“Hyukjae...” 

 

“Why did you have to go?” Donghae whines, touching the computer screen with its ty resolution. 

 

When we become successful, i’m going to buy a laptop. No, I’m going to buy a whole computer for myself. 

 

No...

 

I’m going to ask Hyukjae to buy it for me. 

 

“Don’t pout, Hae. I’m sorry.” 

 

“I miss you,” Donghae chokes out in between sobs, wiping his snot on his sleeves. 

 

“Don’t cry, silly. Not when I’m not there to wipe away your tears.” 

 

“It’s your fault,” Donghae reaches out, wishing that he could have the real person in front of him instead of this blurry pixelated image. 

 

“Yes it is,” the other only smiles warmly. “It’s all my fault, I’m sorry Donghae-ah.” 

 

“Don’t cry anymore...” 

 

Stupid.

 

Why are you so stupid? 

 

Why do you always give in to me?

 

Why do you always apologise? 

 

-

 

“Who is the stingiest member in Super Junior?” 

 

All the members laugh and point to Hyukjae, except Donghae, who hates when the other members make fun of his Hyukjae. 

 

“It’s true,” Kangin pipes up. “Hyukjae always-“ 

 

He is interrupted by the fans screams when Donghae reaches over to comfortingly pat Hyukjae on the cheek. 

 

-

 

“Everyone always says the stingiest member is me, when in fact it’s Donghae.” Hyukjae says, and all eyes turn to him quizzically. 

 

“He’s the one who always uses the money from my wallet. Doesn’t that make him the stingiest?”

 

Hearing that, everyone chuckles, even the emcees. 

 

-

 

“Yah, you should care more about Ryeowook like I do. He’s your dongsaeng too, you know?” Donghae says, the two of them and Leeteuk on a boat, filming for their newest reality show in Switzerland. 

 

Hyukjae hits him playfully. 

 

“I only take care of you, isn’t it?”

 

And although it is merely playful banter for the show to be more lively, Donghae cannot find an answer to that. 

 

-

 

“Guys, lean in closer.” It’s their sixth NG for the same scene, and even the director is getting tired. 

 

They’ve finished filming the part on the bed, and that wasn’t too bad, considering it was how they usually slept. 

 

But now, as they are forced to lean in and pretend to kiss - they suddenly find it so daunting. All eyes are on them, as Donghae evens out the shaving cream around Hyukjae’s lips for the seventh time. 

 

And as they lean in, their hearts thump quicker than ever. 

 

-

 

“Here,” Donghae gasps as he feels the cooling metal against his fingers. 

 

“H-Hyukjae.”

 

“I’m wearing mine too.” 

 

They lift their hands up against the sunlight, admiring their matching silver bands. 

 

Until the day their kind of love would be accepted...

 

These would have to do for now. 

 

-

 

"Have you ever thought about how you are going to propose in the future?" The emcee asks, waiting for an answer expectantly. 

 

"I probably won't say much, maybe a Let's live together?" Hyukjae blushes, looking shyly at Donghae. 

 

"I'll propose at a stadium in Barcelona," Donghae mumbles, rubbing his hands shyly against his neck. "I'll spread roses on the ground, then appear from the sky." Donghae bursts out laughing, and he feels the strong gaze on him. 

 

"He definitely doesnt have any thoughts of getting married," Hyukjae interjects, and all the staff laugh along with them. 

 

"I'll propose on the moon." Hyukjae says, and Donghae gently rubs the metal band around his finger. 

 

-

 

“I told you guys to be careful.” 

 

Hyukjae rolls his eyes, pulling Donghae behind him protectively. 

 

“The rings were enough,” 

 

“And now you go around placing your hands in places they should not be, on stage?” 

 

“Donghae, what do you think you were doing?” The taller man harshly pulls Donghae out from behind Hyukjae, only to have Hyukjae fiercely push him away, tugging Donghae back to his spot behind him. 

 

 

“Hyukjae!” The room is silent apart from Donghae’s pained cry, as Hyukjae now stands with a red gash across his cheek. 

 

-

 

The room is silent as Donghae puts down the cotton swab. 

 

“Hyukjae-ah,” Donghae whispers so brokenly. 

 

“In our next life, let’s be reborn as ordinary people.”

 

“So no one will look at us this way anymore.” 

 

“Have you ever imagined, Hyukjae?” Hyukjae hums, reaching over to wrap his arms around Donghae’s waist. 

 

“What if our lives were different? What if we weren’t who we are now?”

 

I haven’t. Because it doesn’t matter, Donghae. Wherever I am, whatever life I live... I am happy as long as I’m with you. 

 

“In the future, let’s move to America. Or maybe France. We’ll have a little cottage of our own, and we’ll have lots of puppies. We’ll work simple jobs, just enough to feed ourselves. And most importantly, we’ll be happy, Hyukjae-ah.”

 

Hyukjae listens to Donghae ramble on about his fantasies. When Donghae pauses, he reaches out to brush away the tears that are threatening to fall. 

 

“Are you not happy now, Donghae?”

 

Donghae looks up at the broken voice, the trembling hands that so soothingly wipe away his tears. 

 

“Are you happy?”

 

Hyukjae looks away, his hands falling to his sides. 

 

“I am happy as long as there is you.” 

 

-

 

“I can’t believe we are enlisting so soon...” 

 

Donghae gazes into Hyukjae’s eyes as he lies in his lap. He reaches out to cup Hyukjae’s face, pulling him down for a kiss. 

 

“Hyukjae, I don’t want to.” 

 

Ah, how many times Hyukjae has heard these words. 

 

Hyukjae, I don’t want to. 

 

Donghae would always use these magical words, and almost every time, he would succeed in worming his way out of everything his hyungs and managers told him to do. 

 

But now...

 

I’m sorry, Donghae-ah. I can’t do anything this time. 

 

-

 

“Hyukjae,” Donghae whines.

 

“What now?”

 

“I want that Jo Malone cologne,” Donghae pouts, blinking innocently as Hyukjae sighs, trying to avoid eye contact with the puppy eyes he knows he will lose to. 

 

“But it’s so expensive, Donghae-“ 

 

“Yah, Hyukjae. I promised you a house. Do you know how much more a house costs?” 

 

Hyukjae chuckles, and once again, he is defeated. 

 

 

The next day, Donghae opens his new present from Hyukjae excitedly. 

 

-

 

“Hyukjae, ramen again?”

 

“Mm hmm.” Hyukjae nods firmly, dragging Donghae by the hand. 

 

“Please, I’ve had enough of ramen this month!” Donghae begs, but this time even his saddest puppy eyes won’t work. 

 

He is dragged into the sixth ramen restaurant of the month. 

 

-

 

Days turn into weeks, which turn into months. 

 

Their enlistment date gets nearer. 

 

 

Hyukjae attempts to comfort Donghae as the other sobs pitifully into his chest. 

 

“Hyukjae, I can’t believe you didn’t pass the test,” Donghae mumbles as Hyukjae brushes his hands gently through his messy hair. 

 

“What am I going to do without you by my side for two years?” Hyukjae wipes away the tears streaming down the other’s cheeks carefully. 

 

“Don’t cry when I’m not next to you, Donghae-ah. I won’t be able to wipe your tears for you.” Hyukjae mutters sadly, as he attempts to hold back tears of his own as Donghae continues to cry in his embrace. 

 

-

 

“Hyukjae, will you still love me even when I shave my hair?” 

 

“Silly, I would love you no matter what.” 

 

“Will you still love me even after two years?”

 

“It’s been almost twenty years since we’ve known each other, Donghae-ah. That’s more than half of our lives. What’s two years to us?”

 

Donghae feels much more calm with those words. 

 

 

Will you still love me Donghae-ah?

 

Even when it gets too hard to love?

 

-

 

 

“Let’s break up,” Donghae smiles bitterly. “I don’t want this to be our ending.”

 

He doesn’t say a word in return. 

 

“This ending is too far from the fairytale of our dreams.” 

 

“So before our fairytale gets destroyed, let’s stop this, Hyukjae.”

 

Hyukjae stares at the laptop screen in front of him, the words glaring and big. 

 

 

32 soldiers charged for being gay as South Korea continues ‘gay witch hunt’.

Under South Korean law a soldier who commits “sodomy” or “other disgraceful conduct” can face up to two years in prison.

A South Korean soldier was recently handed a prison sentence for a year after being convicted for having with another male soldier. 

 

-

 

“You know, in other countries, people actually think we are gay!” Donghae laughs, but Hyukjae can see the pain he attempts to hide in his eyes. 

 

“But you do know that stories about the two of you as a couple are very popular here right?” The emcee questions, laughing along with Donghae.

 

“Ah, fans should stop writing that!” And they laugh again. 

 

 

Ah, Donghae. 

 

It must hurt you to say this, as much as it hurts me. 

 

-

 

“Let’s enjoy today’s Super Camp!” Hyukjae watches silently as Jungsoo rattles on. His gaze slowly falls onto the man standing a few members away from him. 

 

Their eyes meet, but they quickly look away. 

 

 

A couple of songs later, it’s time to listen to the messages the members recorded for each other in the special track of their album. 

 

 

Eunhyuk-ah, when I first saw you when I was in my second year of middle school, I thought of doing a duet with you. 

 

And I also thought of doing Super Junior with you. 

 

Hyukjae raises his eyebrows in surprise, straining his ears to hear the deep voice amidst the screams. 

 

 

As compared to saying I like you, I think saying I love you is more fitting. 

 

 

Hyukjae lets out an inaudible gasp, and he stares at the man who is hiding his face from the fans who are murmuring in surprise. 

 

 

I love you. 

 

I love you. 

 

I really love you. 

 

I love you. 

 

A text message came now 

 

I love you 

 

I wish the message is from you 

 

I love you

 

 

Idiot. Hyukjae thinks to himself.

 

Donghae is an idiot, and he has always been. 

 

But he supposes he isn’t allowed to say that, for he is a fool in the face of love as well. 

 

-

 

Donghae gazes off into the distance, where a million sparkling sapphire blue lights are shining. 

 

“Donghae-ah.” He is jolted back to reality by the gentle whisper of his name. 

 

Ah, right. They were giving messages to the member next to them. 

 

“Now that D&E activities have ended... A friend that has always been by my side is suddenly not right beside me.”

 

“Kyuhyun came up to me and asked, are you and Donghae hyung not close? And then I realised, perhaps I have been treating us releasing albums, having concerts in too much of a business manner.” 

 

What are you even saying, idiot.

 

“Now, for a short time you won’t be able to see me, and I won’t be able to see you.” 

 

Donghae bites his lips, putting the microphone close to his eyes, trying not to cry, not to cry... 

 

His eyes shine with unshed tears. 

 

“For a short time, we won’t be able to see each other, but be healthy...” 

 

Idiot. 

 

“Ah, what should I say-“

 

“I understand your heart very well.” Donghae interrupts. If Hyukjae continues, he is going to break down. He can’t. Not in front of so many fans, not under possible watchful eyes.

 

“A-All right,” Hyukjae stumbles over his words. “Let’s talk later, Donghae-ah.” 

 

-

 

“The company wants you two to perform one last song together before your enlistment.” 

 

 

“One last song,” Hyukjae whispers, reaching out to hold Donghae’s hand but he pulls away. 

 

“Hyukjae, please-“

 

“Donghae-ah,” Hyukjae looks at him so lovingly, he wants to let himself fall. 

 

“Let’s write this one last song together.” 

 

-

 

In front of their fans, they perform their last song for the next two years. 

 

How will our story end, Donghae-ah? 

 

Must I wait two years to find out? 

 

He seeks answers from the eyes that provide him with none. 

 

He supposes he shall have to wait. 

 

-

 

The conversation that only has the two of us will be hidden for awhile

Don’t forget to leave a bookmark

This isn’t a full stop it’s a comma, a beat that has lagged 

We have to stand shoulder to shoulder when we meet again 

Snow that is falling covers us 

In the cold wind, tears roll down my face 

Even though you’re not here 

I will draw out footprints for you 

So that you can come back any time 

 

-

 

One month later 

 

 

20 unread messages. 

 

Teukie hyung:

Let’s head to mouse rabbit tonight. One last time. 

 

Heenim:

Minho, Suho, Chanyeol and Changmin will be there as well. 

 

Kangin hyung:

Hyukjae? Donghae? 

 

Yesung hyung: 

It’s on me tonight. 

 

Donghae: 

Okay, hyung. 

 

Hyukjae groans and flings his phone beside him, flopping back onto the bed. 

 

His phone buzzes again. 

 

Heenim: 

Hyukjae????? 

 

 

Okay, hyung. 

 

-

 

“Hey,” Hyukjae smiles, and Donghae awkwardly fidgets, staring at anywhere but Hyukjae. 

 

“Um, hey.”

 

“Only one month since we last met and you’re pretending that you don’t know me?” Hyukjae asks, still with a smile on his face. 

 

Donghae looks up, parting his lips to speak-

 

“Come on,” He stares at the outstretched hand in front of him. 

 

“The hyungs are waiting. Let’s go before Heechul gets angry.” 

 

Donghae pauses, but he places his hand into the other’s. The hands are rough, calloused as always. But it’s still warm. And he’s missed this warmth. 

 

-

 

They spend their last night together pretending that nothing has happened, that nothing has changed. 

 

They have a few drinks, and soon enough Donghae finds himself lost in a blur. 

 

They reminisce their trainee days, when they had their first win, when the first Super Junior member enlisted. 

 

Now, it is finally their turn. 

 

The night ends, sadly. And the group prepares to leave, with the promise that they will meet again after the pair returns safely in two years. 

 

 

The two of them haven’t spoken much to each other. 

 

But perhaps, words are not always necessary. 

 

 

Before leaving the cafe, Hyukjae turns to Donghae, stopping him in his tracks. 

 

 

“One last hug?” Hyukjae whispers, warmly gazing at Donghae. 

 

Donghae lets himself fall into Hyukjae’s arms. 

 

Hundreds of fans are waiting outside, but they are safely hidden by the shadows of the night. 

 

As they part, Hyukjae gently presses a kiss against Donghae’s neck. 

 

“See you.”

 

I love you, always. 

 

-

 

 

The next morning, Donghae stares at the comment section on his most recent post. 

 

 

Donghae, are you going to send Hyukjae off? 

 

Donghae, post something, please ㅠㅠ

 

Donghae...

 

 

Donghae sighs, and he looks through his photo album. 

 

Thousands of photographs, thousands of memories. 

 

It’s cute - he muses, the photo of him with half of his face hidden and with Hyukjae behind him. 

 

Have you always been behind me? 

 

-

 

My friend whom I love, Hyuk-ah. Even though our bodies may be apart, our hearts are always together. I will be cheering you on and praying for you from afar, so take care of yourself and let′s meet again soon. I love you, my friend, Hyuk-ah. 

 

 

Hyukjae smiles sadly while reading the caption on the instagram post. 

 

He presses the tiny heart-shaped icon, and locks his phone. 

 

Wait for me, Donghae-ah. 

 

-

 

A few months pass in a blur and soon enough, Hyukjae is used to the mundane routine of army life. 

 

Every day is a repeat of the previous, waking up, training, eating, then sleeping at a fixed timing. 

 

He kind of misses the times Donghae would drag him out to have supper in the wee hours of the morning. 

 

Or the times he would drag Donghae out to hunt for the best ramen shop in Seoul. 

 

Or when- 

 

Hyukjae stops himself. 

 

What am I doing? 

 

-

 

 

“What?” Hyukjae utters worriedly, his grip on his phone tightening. 

 

“He’s in the hospital?” 

 

“I’ll be there as soon as I can.” Hyukjae replies quickly, putting the documents he was holding onto away.  

 

 

The next day, Hyukjae arrives at the hospital in a panic, although he tries to hide it when he sees the familiar petite woman heading towards him. 

 

 

“Umma, how is he?” 

 

“Ah, Hyukjae, you’re here.” 

 

“He’s fine, just slightly drowsy and whiny from all the medication,” she smiles, petting his head affectionately. 

 

“Go in and see him. I’m sure he misses you.” 

 

-

 

“Donghae-ah.” Donghae looks up from the book he’s reading. He started on it a few months ago, and he remembers Hyukjae laughing at him - “Romeo and Juliet? I bet you’re going to take three years to finish this one.” 

 

“H-Hyukjae.” Hyukjae walks closer, frowning at the other’s clearly exhausted face that has a few scars on it already. 

 

“I thought I told you to take care of yourself,” he chides gently. 

 

Donghae is taken aback, and Hyukjae thinks he looks so much like a lost puppy. 

 

“I-I’m sorry,” Donghae mumbles. 

 

Hyukjae’s gaze softens, and he reaches out to gently run his hands through the much shorter hair. 

 

“Ah, I miss running my fingers through your hair,” Hyukjae chuckles, but pauses when he hears sniffling. 

 

He gently tilts the other’s head towards him, but frowns when the other tries to pull away. 

 

“Hey,” he murmurs worriedly. “What’s wrong?” Donghae shakes his head, using his sleeves to wipe away the tears that can’t seem to stop falling. 

 

“Nothing. I’m fine, Hyukjae-“

 

“Donghae,” Hyukjae begins, wanting to question further but Donghae looks at him pleadingly, and Hyukjae feels the smaller hand being placed upon his. 

 

 

I missed you so much. 

 

-

 

That night, Hyukjae stays at the hospital. 

 

They had spent the whole day talking about each other’s army life, catching up on their lives that does not have the presence of the other. 

 

Surely, there is longing. 

 

It is unspoken, but they both feel it. 

 

 

 

“Did you know how worried I was?”

 

I was so afraid of losing you... 

 

And now that you are here, right before me and in my arms, I have decided. 

 

That I won’t ever let you go again. 

 

 

At some point, Donghae finds himself being pressed into the sheets. Hyukjae leans closer, their lips almost brushing. He can feel the older’s breath against his. 

 

How long has it been? 

 

As Hyukjae attempts to close the gap, Donghae quickly pushes him away. Hyukjae stares at him, gaze stronger than ever. 

 

“W-We can’t do this, Hyukjae.” 

 

“Why not?” Hyukjae challenges, and Donghae’s eyes widen in surprise. 

 

And despite Donghae’s countless protests, Hyukjae leans in to close the gap anyway. 

 

-

 

That isn’t the last time they meet. They spend the next few months making the best of the few times they meet. 

 

They spend their limited vacations rediscovering each other. 

 

 

And Donghae finds himself falling once again, even though he had promised himself not to. 

 

Hyukjae... Look what you always do to me... 

 

 

 

“Ah, stop, it tickles!” 

 

Donghae struggles out of Hyukjae’s hold, breathless. 

 

Hyukjae stares at the messy hair, the swollen lips and only pulls Donghae back into his embrace. 

 

 

“Hyukjae...” Donghae mumbles, relishing in the feeling of Hyukjae pressing kisses against his neck, holding him tighter than ever. 

 

“Hmm?” 

 

“Will we be okay?” Hyukjae looks up, pressing another gentle kiss against Donghae’s lips. 

 

“Will we be okay, Hyukjae-ah?” 

 

Hyukjae looks into the eyes that are so full of confusion, of hesitation, of love. 

 

He smiles, brushing the tips of their noses together. 

 

“We will be more than okay, Donghae-ah.” 

 

That night, alongside all their shed clothing, amidst their heavy breaths, as they are pressed tightly against each other...

 

Donghae believes him. 

 

-

 

“Yah, isn’t the camera too focused on you?” Donghae chuckles, placing a finger on his lips to silence the other. 

 

Thousands of comments and hearts float across the screen and he turns his phone towards Hyukjae. 

 

He can almost hear the fans screaming.

 

Hyukjae grins as the camera is focused on him now, and he flashes a few poses for the fans. 

 

Donghae smiles, and he lets Hyukjae play around for a while more before closing the live stream. 

 

“Ah, I still don’t get this live thing.” Hyukjae mutters grumpily, annoyed that Donghae seems to have gotten far better at technology than him. 

 

“You've gotta keep up with the times, my friend,” Donghae laughs, gently patting the other on the cheek. 

 

-

 

They have gone on so many secret dates throughout the two years, and Donghae thinks that he’s seen Hyukjae more than his own family now. 

 

But he doesn’t mind it, not a single bit. 

 

 

One night, Donghae returns home after another ramen date, only to find his phone bombarded with messages.

 

Donghae, read this article. 

 

Donghae, what are you doing?

 

I thought I told you guys to be careful. 

 

He opens the naver page, and he sees a series of photos of him and Hyukjae, some depicting them a little too close for comfort. 

 

He scrolls hastily to the comment section, and he stops at the top comments.

 

[+431, -81] Disgusting. A disgrace to our society. 

 

[+358, -45] If they are what their fans say they are, I am disappointed. 

 

[+255, -42] Top idol stars? Please, don’t destroy our country’s name. 

 

 

He closes his eyes. 

 

It will never be okay. 

 

-

 

“Hyukjae,” Donghae stares at the other who looks so lost, so tired. 

 

 

Why does love have to hurt this bad? 

 

Or is it just us?

 

Is it just our kind of love that will hurt? 

 

 

“Let’s stop this. For real this time.” 

 

-

 

They complete the last few months of service without anything else happening. They hadn’t met since the day Donghae initiated the break up. 

 

The day before his discharge, Hyukjae stares at the Kakao group chat. 

 

Guys. 

 

Come to my discharge tomorrow, please? 

 

Heenim: 

I’m sorry, my favourite dongsaeng-ah. I have filming tomorrow ㅠㅠ 

 

Teukie-hyung:

I’ll be there. 

 

Shindong-hyung: 

Me too. 

 

Yesung-hyung: 

Congrats, buddy. It’s finally going to be over. 

 

 

It’s finally going to be over. 

 

Will I get my answer now? 

 

-

 

He steps out into the sunlight, where hundreds of fans wait patiently. 

 

Amidst the screams and the camera flashes, he only sees one person. 

 

He smiles so widely, and pulls him into a hug. 

 

Is this my answer? 

 

-

 

Two days later 

 

Thousands of cameras await them. But this time, none of them care anymore. 

 

Not anymore. 

 

Hyukjae embraces him, and he has to tiptoe just so slightly. 

 

As he pulls away, he subtly presses a kiss against the other’s shoulder. 

 

Finally, they let out the breath they’ve been holding, the weight they’ve been shouldering for the past two years. 

 

-

 

“Am I a coward?”

 

They sit by the window of their apartment that oversees the Han River. The sun is setting, casting such a beautiful glow across the city. 

 

Hyukjae looks into the eyes of the other, those eyes that have always spoken so much and carried so many emotions. 

 

“Yes, you are.” Donghae looks up, startled. 

 

“But so am I.” 

 

“I’m not any less of a coward.”

 

“But it’s all right,” Hyukjae mumbles, letting the other’s head fall against his shoulder. 

 

Ah, how he has missed this feeling. 

 

“We’re both cowards.” 

 

Hyukjae holds Donghae’s chin so gently, caressing the other’s cheek.

 

“But let’s not ever be cowards again, Donghae-ah.” 

 

“Let’s never separate again.” 

 

-

 

One month before Hyukjae’s discharge 

 

 

“Hey, Donghae. There’s a letter addressed to you.”

 

Donghae looks up as his colleague enters the office. 

 

“Oh, thanks,” Donghae mumbles, confused. 

 

He begins to open the letter, and falters at the familiar handwriting. 

 

By the time he finishes reading, the paper is stained with his tears. 

 

 

Donghae-ah,

 

you told me you want us to be reborn as ordinary people in our next life. 

 

So we can love and be loved, as we wish. 

 

You told me you want us to be happy in our next life. 

 

Without the eyes of the people who hate us, our managers, our company. 

 

 

The truth is, I will always love you, Donghae. Regardless of which life we are living. 

 

I don’t really mind loving you in this life, Donghae-ah. 

 

Yes, this life may be difficult, it may be painful. I know it hurts so bad. 

 

But...

 

Donghae ah. 

 

Let’s not wait till our next life.

 

Let us do it now. Time is short, Donghae. Time never waits. 

 

Perhaps we won’t even be reborn again. 

 

Perhaps we shall not meet in our next life. 

 

So for now, let us love. 

 

And no one can stop us. 

 

-

 

 

“Let’s record this part one more time, Hyukjae.”

 

“Okay, hyung.” 

 

 

Even though I was in the rain, I liked it

Because they were traces you left behind 

 

 

“Because you are the rain.” Hyukjae looks up at that, and finds himself nodding in agreement. 

 

 

Don’t leave like the rain

Again today, I’m drenched

And in the wet traces, I’m looking for you

Will I be able to erase?

If only I could do this once more

Just one more chance so I could see you

 

 

They lean in, closing what is left of the distance between them. 

 

“Don’t leave again, please.” 

 

“I won’t. Not anymore.”

 

Not anymore... 

 

-

 

Yongsun hyung:

I’ll pick you guys up tomorrow for the schedule. 

 

 

“Won’t it be too obvious, Hyukjae-ah?” Donghae wonders, as the two of them cuddle in bed, snuggled underneath the thick blanket. 

 

“It doesn’t matter,” Hyukjae kisses his cheek. 

 

“Let them think as they wish.” 

 

-

 

“What songs would you guys recommend to your fans?” 

 

“I would recommend The Blower’s Daughter by Damien Rice.” 

 

I can’t take my eyes off you 

I can’t take my eyes off you~ 

 

 

As the radio station plays their favourite song as of late, they look into each other’s eyes. The gaze that is only meant for each other. 

 

-

 

“Let me turn on my insta live again.” 

 

“You’re obsessed with that, Donghae,” Hyukjae chuckles, peering out of the window as their manager drives them back home. It’s another rainy night. 

 

“I’ve got to let our fans listen to our new favourite song. The movie was so amazing.”

 

“Yeah, it was,” Hyukjae agrees, fondly gazing at the excited man who is fumbling through his social media applications before opening the right one. 

 

 

 

All the shine of a thousand spotlights

All the stars we steal from the nightsky

Will never be enough

Never be enough

Towers of gold are still too little

These hands could hold the world but it'll

Never be enough

Never be enough

 

 

Soon enough, Hyukjae finds himself joining in, and he silently sings their favourite song along with Donghae who belts his heart out to his fans watching the live stream. 

 

Never enough

Never, never

Never enough

Never, never 

 

At this point, Hyukjae realises he’s sung the last few lines a bit too loudly. 

 

Donghae grins cheekily, and presses his lips against the other’s to silence him. 

 

Hyukjae flushes, sinking back into his seat as Donghae continues to sing when their lips part. 

 

Their drive continues, and Donghae sings for awhile more while Hyukjae admires the rain drops falling onto the window beside him. 

 

Nothing could be better than this - listening to Donghae singing their favourite song, with their favourite rain falling. 

 

He snaps a picture of the rain, and uploads it onto Instagram. 

 

-

 

He strums his guitar, staring yet again at the tiny hearts floating across his screen. 

 

The doorbell rings. 

 

“Ah, looks like someone is here.” 

 

 

 

“You’re home.” Hyukjae steps in, looking curiously at the guitar and phone on the floor. 

 

“What were you doing?”

 

“Ah, I was doing an insta live for our fans. They heard you.”

 

“They did?” Hyukjae exclaims, almost panicking. 

 

“I meant the doorbell, silly.” Donghae pulls Hyukjae down and their lips meet for a brief, yet gentle kiss. 

 

-

 

In your next life, what do you want to be reborn as?

 

In our next life, let’s...

 

Let’s be reborn as we are. 

 

Let us love, no matter what others say. 

 

No matter how much we are hurt and torn apart. 

 

Let us love as it is.