Pink

Cherry Blossom Pink 🌸

Although Wendy is still stuck in the draining cycle of school and work, she no longer dreads going about the day because now she has something to look forward to at the end of the day. They have fallen into a familiar routine of Irene visiting Wendy at work then spending the evening together or Wendy joining Irene in the library to accompany Irene while she studies on her days off. Days in which both girls are free are rare given Wendy's work schedule and Irene's exam preparation but they are always worth the wait, Wendy thinks. They would travel to nearby towns to spend their day exploring hidden alleyways, they would find a quiet stretch of coastline to listen to the calming waves or they would simply stroll through their neighbourhoods to explore shops they had not though to visit before. Their dates were never near extravagant but they were never short of exquisite. They may not have the same interests in music but they do share the common love for adventures and the unexpected. 

“I'm sure you can take a day off this weekend. I really missed spending time with you. Think of all the places we can go explore together.” Irene whines as they cuddle together in Wendy's apartment after Irene's last paper.

“You know I won't miss a date with you for anything. Besides, it's not like I haven't been counting down the days till you finish your exams so that you can finally put down your textbooks and spend time with me. That's why I already have everything planned out! Sort of at least. ” Wendy replies, a mysterious smile gracing her face. Wendy's adamance to keep mum drives Irene mad as she probes Wendy relentlessly for her to reveal any clue as to their destination. 

“Stop asking questions because I won't spill. It's a surprise!” Irene could only resort to sulking by herself.

Irene wakes up a little past ten the next day, sunlight already gently filtering in through her floral curtains but she was feeling exceptionally cold. The space beside her usually occupied by Wendy’s warm presence was strangely empty. Irene cannot help but pout a little since she had been looking forward to a morning cuddling session with the other girl. Dejected, she sets out find Wendy, expecting her to still be somewhere at home. All she manages to find, however, was a single pink post it on the kitchen counter.

[ Left earlier to prepare something. Meet me at the train station at 12 pm. I’m already missing you :( Can’t wait to see you later :D ]

Wendy's instructions strike Irene a little weird but she trusts the other girl and does as instructed, leaving the house earlier than she needed to because she was too excited to keep still at home. She arrives 10 minutes earlier to find Wendy already there, hunched over and furiously typing away on her phone. Irene silently creeps over and tries to peer over Wendy's shoulder. Feeling an uncomfortably close presence over her shoulder, Wendy was prepared to tell off the ert creeping behind her but ends up almost knocking into Irene as she turns around. 

“You're early! You didn't see anything right? I told you it was meant to be a surprise.” 

“Good for you because you almost knocked me over so I didn't manage to peep at anything. Are you finally going to tell me what we're doing today?”

“Left or right?”

“What?”

“Just choose one.”

“Right.” 

“Right it is then.”

Wendy reaches over and grasps Irene’s hand and interlaces them, pulling her along towards the station. Although Irene was distracted by Wendy’s soft hand firmly holding onto hers, she does not miss that Wendy has once again avoided her question again. When they reach the train platforms, Wendy guides Irene to the platform on the right as she has chosen. 

“Hyun-ah, pick a number from 1 to 10.”

“What’s with all the questions today?” All the unanswered questions are about to drive Irene mad.  

“I can’t tell you anything but I assure you that it's all going to be worth it.”

“Fine. 7.” All this suspense is starting to make Irene fidget in anticipation, what could possibly lie in store for her today. Unbeknown to Irene, Wendy secretly texts someone while she was engrossed in admiring the passing scenery with a childlike excitement. 

They get off the train 9 stops later as Irene has picked. It was as if they had just stepped out of a time machine that brought them back in time. The tiny neighbourhood that fate had brought them to look as if it belonged to another time period when houses were still built with wood, hanji plastered doors and tiled roofs, each housing large courtyards. The couple strolled in silence, hand in hand, past the traditional Korean Hanok houses, the ancient shop houses and the small stream that quietly flows through the centre of the tiny town. They each taking in the scenery of this place that reminded them of their childhoods in their own way. It was as if conversations would taint the quiet beauty of this quaint little place that lies merely 7 train stops away from the bustling city centre. 

Wendy finally breaks the silence and says “That park there looks really pretty, do you want to talk a look there?”

“Sure, why not.”

Much like the town it resides in, although it was small, the park was indeed really beautiful. Cherry blossom trees line the stream that borders one side of the park, a variety of other trees stand tall and weathered, a glimpse of the time gone by and well-groomed flower beds add a tinge of colour and liveliness to the place. 

“It looks like the perfect place for a picnic,” Irene comments offhandedly as she takes in the nature surrounding her. 

“It's funny you mention that because look to your right.”

Lo and behold, on the little grass patch under a particularly large pine tree was a little picnic mat and a picnic basket.

“Enjoy :D ” says the little pink Post-it left on top of the basket. 

Irene looks back at Wendy in confusion.

“Surprise! Like you said, this is the perfect place to have a picnic so I prepared a picnic for you.” 

“But how?”

“That you don't need to know. Come on, I don't know about you but I'm definitely hungry from all the walking.” 

After a filling meal of sandwiches and other dishes from the basket, the couple decides to take a short nap under the shade before exploring the rest of the town. Irene quickly drifts asleep on Wendy's lap under the lazy afternoon sun while Wendy seizes the opportunity to finally take out her phone without Irene poking around.

“Thanks Joy, I owe you big time <3”

“Damn right you do for making me wake up at 6 in the morning to save your sorry attempt at cooking and rush like a madwoman to set things up before your dear Irene spots me! Enjoy your date though<3” It amazes Wendy how bipolar Joy is at times. 

When the couple wakes up a little later, they decided to take a stroll down the tiny town’s only shopping street. They enjoyed visiting the traditional stores it offered, pointing out interesting items to each other, trying out new food and talking to the friendly old shop owners who were excited to chat with new faces since visitors rarely stop by their small town. 

Their journey ends with Wendy and Irene returning to the park to sit under one of the cherry blossom trees with an ice cream cone each, which they bought from a sweet old grandmother running the only dessert store in town. They were watching the pink petals fall when Irene breaks the comfortable silence between them. 

"Do you remember the second time I met you, you called me the cherry blossom girl?", Irene asks, voice barely above a whisper.

“Mmhm”

“Why? Did I remind you of cherry blossoms?” Irene asks as she catches a falling cherry blossom petal.

"Did you know that in Japanese culture, cherry blossoms are viewed as the embodiment of beauty." Wendy feels Irene's gaze in her direction and makes no move to return the gaze, trying to keep her best poker face.

"They are also a reminder that life is almost overwhelmingly beautiful but that at the same time also tragically short." Wendy continues as she adverts her attention to drawing flowers on the back of Irene's hand.

"I always wondered when I would finally find the beauty in my life, then I met you that day."

A beat of silence.

Irene burst out laughing beside Wendy, breaking the drama worthy moment. Irene's laughter was light and musical, much like cherry blossom flowers gently fluttering down the tree. Wendy finally loses her serious face and gazes lovingly at the beautiful girl across her whom she is thankful to be able to call hers.

"When...did you prepare..these..lines?", Irene wheezes out between laughter.

"Are you saying that I'm not sincere?" Wendy huffs, indignant. She reaches over and tickles Irene's sides, causing her to burst into another round of boisterous laughter, probably turning the heads of the few nearby elderlies. Wendy, unable to continue to feign an offended expression, joins Irene in her laughter.

It occurs to Wendy that perhaps what everyone need is a little pink in their lives. Or at least in hers, she thinks, as her heart swells with happiness at the sight of a particular cherry blossom girl who has brought a breath of spring into her life.


🌸THE END🌸