Chapter 1

University

It was the beginning of Mark's freshmen year of college, moving from his hometown of Los Angeles all the way to Seoul, South Korea. Mark has never been to South Korea before but thought he'd give a new experience a try. His mother wasn't entirely sure about the decision, but his father thought it would be an exciting new adventure for him. So here he was standing in front of JYP University, one of the top universities in Seoul. He wasn't entirely sure how he'd passed the entrance exams, but he wasn't going to complain.

Mark walked up the massive set of stairs, hoping he was in the right place to receive his dorm key and class schedule. Like he said earlier, Mark has never been to Korea before, so he isn't the best at the language. He's still learning and studying every day, hoping he'll be able to converse and make some friends while he's here; also, it would really help him out with getting acquainted with his roommate.

Mark reached the entrance and headed into the building. The inside was as beautiful as it was on the outside, clean white marble tiles and a sort of light off blue paint on the walls with a couple columns here and there. Nothing too crazy, Mark thought it fit the school very nicely. There are some signs on the walls indicating where all the offices are: First Floor-Advisement, Second Floor- Financial aid, Third Floor- Residence Life, Fourth Floor- Other, and lastly Fifth Floor- Chairman’s Office. He was glad that he saw the signs before wandering off somewhere and getting lost.

“Alright Mark, since we are already on the first floor, let’s go to advisement to get my class schedule first then head up to the third floor,” Mark mumbled to himself.

Mark headed towards the end of the hall while looking up at the signs above the doors. After about a couple minutes, he found himself in front of the door for freshmen advisement.

Come on, Mark. Let’s hurry up so I can get this over with. Mark thought, walking through the door.

Inside the office, it was like walking into a doctor’s office waiting room; soft music playing in the background with a secretary behind a desk in the middle.

“Oh! Hello, how may I help you today?” the secretary asked. Mark walked over to the young lady and gave her a small smile.

“Hello, I’m here to pick up my class schedule for this semester. Am I in the right place?” Mark inquired.

“Yes, yes! This is the right place, what’s the name dear?” “My name is Mark Tuan, freshmen Elementary Education major.”

“Ah, here it is, found it. Here you go, dear. Good luck with your freshmen year!” she handed Mark his schedule and gave him a ‘fighting!’ gesture.

“Thank you very much, ma’am. I will give it my best shot this year.” Mark responded while bowing, then leaving to head to the third floor to get his key.

‘Should I take the elevator or just take the stairs to the third floor? The elevator is faster but that makes seem lazier… ah, who cares about laziness? Elevator it is.’

Mark walked over to the elevator and pushed the up button, standing there and waiting for it to come down to the first floor. The elevator finally reached the ground floor and Mark walked in when the doors opened. Right before the doors closed, Mark heard a shout asking to keep the door open for him. Mark thought for a second, debating if he should or not. Right before it closed, Mark put his hand in the way of the door to keep it open for the other male. The other male ran inside, out of breath.

“Hey thanks, I really appreciate it, I would have been even more late to my check in if I had to wait for the elevator to come back down.” The male said breathlessly as the doors closed.

“It’s no problem, which floor did you need?” Mark asked the stranger.

“Oh, third floor please.” The stranger said. “It looks like you are too, I see. Picking up your dorm key as well?”

“Uh yeah...” Mark said awkwardly. This guy is pretty friendly, maybe he is a higher year than me. Mark glanced over at the stranger and gave him a quick once-over. The stranger had short brown hair, milky white skin, almond colored eyes and perfectly bowed lips. He wore ripped up blue skinny jeans and a simple black t-shirt. He is pretty handsome too, he must have a lot of friends and girls must swoon over him. That sounds like a total drag though.

The elevator dinged, the doors opening to indicate they arrived at their destination. “Hey, I’ll see ya around sometime. I have to get to check in before they yell at me haha.”

“Ah alright, see ya I guess,” Mark said with a small wave.

They parted ways with each other, the stranger heading left down a long corridor and Mark heading right towards a big room at the end of the hall. Mark entered the room and saw that there were 4 tables with signs on them. The first table was last name ending with A-F, the second was G-L, third was M-S, and fourth was T-Z. Mark headed over to the fourth and last table and stood in line to wait for his turn.

While he was standing there, a small group of kids came in; Mark noticed one of the guys was the same one from the elevator and there were three other guys with him. One of them was acting very rowdy and the other two were just laughing at him and his antics. For a second, Marks eyes met with stranger’s and the stranger gave a small wave. Mark, very awkwardly gave him a small head nod to indicate that he acknowledged him.

The boys looked at the tables and headed to their appropriate ones. One of them headed over toward Mark, this was the rowdy one that made a lot of noise. Mark just turned back around and continued waiting.

“Hey man! Is this the back of the line?” the rowdy one asked. “Yes, it is,” Mark said quietly. “Aww man, we’re gonna be here all day; there are so many of us. Why couldn’t I have been blessed with an A-F last name like Youngjae?” Mark guessed that the boy with dark brown hair at the end of the much more shorter line was ‘Youngjae’.

“Hey, what’s your name? You can call me the Wild & y Jackson Wang. I’m a freshmen Strategic Communication major; what about you?”

‘Jackson’ has only been standing here for like two minutes and is already starting to get on Mark’s nerves. “My name is Mark Tuan, freshmen Elementary Education major.”

Jackson gasped at that and made a squealing noise, “OMG, Jinyoung is an Elementary Education major also. Let me introduce you to him after we are done here; Mark, I think we are going to be the best of friends.” Mark was starting to get annoyed by this noisy guy, he won’t stop talking even if you’re not answering any of his questions Mark found out.

Finally, Mark made it to the front of the line. He gave the lady his name and student ID number and in turn, she went digging for his new resident packet. “This is your dorm key and this is your mailbox key,” she said pointing to each key, “and this is your new resident info packet; it has all the information in there about living in the dorms. If you have any questions, you can always contact your resident assistant and they should be able to answer any of your questions. We hope you have a wonderful school year here at JYP.”

“Thank you very much,” Mark said, giving them a small bow.

Mark was starting to walk off until Jackson caught up with him, dragging him back over to his group of friends. Why do I always attract the weird ones...? Mark internally cried.

“Hey guys, you finished getting your info packs and stuff? I made a new friend in line today.” Jackson boasted while Mark looked like he wanted to run away. "Go ahead and introduce yourself to the newbie.”

“I’m Choi Youngjae, 17, and a freshmen Vocal Performance major; It’s nice to meet you.” The boy with the dark brown hair said while bowing.

“Hey, the name is Im Jaebum. 19, a freshmen Music Production major.” Jaebum had short brunette hair and wore thick-rimmed glasses.

“Hello, we met earlier today. My name is Park Jinyoung, 18 and a freshmen Elementary Education major. It’s nice to see you again.” The stranger from earlier said, giving Mark a warm smile.

“It’s nice meeting all of you, I’m Mark Tuan, 19, and also a freshmen Elementary Education major.” He said, gesturing towards Jinyoung.

“Now that we have all the introductions done, have you guys seen who your roommates are gonna be?I think I'm in a three-bed dorm, so I hope I’m not stuck with some losers.” Jackson said while opening his packet. “Yup, I’m with total losers. Why must my life be hard?” Jackson complained dramatically.

“How do you know they are total losers? You probably just called some poor kids a loser for fun.” Jaebum asked, opening his packet as well and giving it a once-over.

“The reason why I know he’s such a loser is because you're one of them, ya dinkus.” Jackson started laughing and ran away while Jaebum ran after him to try and hit him.

“Wait, I’m rooming with you two as well. Are you calling me a loser also?” Youngjae called out while running after them.

With the three others running after each other, that just left Mark and Jinyoung standing there. “I didn’t think I’d run into you again this soon.” Jinyoung chuckled.

“You probably wouldn’t have if it wasn’t for your friend being very persistent,” Mark said, giving Jinyoung a small smile. “Why don’t we go ahead and check who our roommates are going to be, hmm?”

Mark and Jinyoung were standing there, opening their housing packs. Mark pulled his papers out, giving them a once over quick. What. Mark had to do a double take more slowly while reading the name on the paper. Park Jinyoung. Mark stood there shocked. He slowly started to look up from his paper, to see that Jinyoung was looking at Mark with an embarrassed smile.

“Well, it looks like we’re roommates.” Jinyoung gave Mark a very cute eye smile.

Mark stood there dumbfounded, his heart skipping a beat.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys, It's Christy! I wanted to get back into writing again, so here is the lovely first chapter. I hope you guys like it! Also, feel free to give me feedback on the story as well as comment and subscribe! I'll try to finish the next chapter and upload it as soon as possible as well.

Happy Reading! :)