Final.

Spring Day

[On the corner of first and Amistad…]
 

I bumped into you at the corner of the street. My thoughts were a flurry that day, but mostly I blame it on the Fates. They weren’t in control of mine, but they were in control of yours.
 

You looked up in surprise, a squeak escaping from your lips as I reflexively steadied you with my arms, making sure your books didn’t fall to the ground.
 

And I was lost.
 

It’s the beauty underneath that counts. Trust me, I would know. But you. Oh, you.
 

I’ve never felt more human than when I had met you that day.
 

A mess of shallowness. A bumbling mess of shallowness.
 

The Fates were cackling, I knew.
 

But all I could do was say “I’m sorry.”


 

[This must be what crazy feels like…]
 

Gray hoodie, check. Smart-looking glasses, check. A look of struggling determination mixed with sleep-depravation, check.
 

I brought a cup of coffee and some books with me as I followed you into the campus library. I took my seat across from you on a different table and began to pretend that you weren’t the sole reason why I was there.
 

You noticed me ten minutes in, when I was on the fifteenth page of Greek Then and Now.
 

Did you feel the pull too?
 

You must have, because you glanced at me twenty times in a span of two hours. And my heart stopped every single time.
 

The next day, I took courage and sat across from you on the same table you were in.
 

Twenty-five minutes in, you shyly asked me what I was reading. I told you it’s a book written in Greek, and you assumed I was a linguistics major, asking me what other languages I knew.
 

I told you I was fluent in five, when I wanted to say I was fluent in all of them, dead and alive.
 

We talked and talked, books long forgotten, until the librarian stood beside you and grunted, giving a not-so-subtle glance at her watch.
 

I wanted to walk you back to your dorm, but I thought it was too soon. Instead, I waved goodbye as you walked away from me at the library’s front steps.
 

After that, I wanted to get to know you more, wanted to know how you could make me feel something I shouldn’t. Something I have never felt since the universe aligned and allowed for life.


 

[I’m so lost for you…]
 

I’d never forget our first kiss.
 

How you initiated it, awkward yet alluring in the way only you know how.
 

You pulled me in by the collar, your lips merging with mine, and the stars beneath my eyelids were a mixture of purple lavender and pink strawberries.
 

I think I lost control for a bit there, because the air steamed up and my skin turned scorching, making you yelp in pain and surprise.
 

I quickly cooled down and pulled you back in, needing to see those stars again, wondering if the constellation forming into the shape of a heart was just a trick of my imagination.


 

[Do you believe in magic?]
 

Before things could escalate, I had to tell you.
 

You deserved to know the truth about me, so I told you, as we were sitting at the park and looking at the stars.


I asked you, “Do you believe in magic?”
 

You thought it was another one of my cheesy lines and pushed me away by my shoulder. But then you saw how serious I looked, and I could hear how your heart started beating faster.
 

I told you to look up at the sky, and you did.
 

The stars were a mixture of pink and purple for one split-second, making you gasp.
 

“That’s what I see every time I kiss you,” I said.
 

You opened and closed your mouth repetitively, and it was so adorable that I wanted to lean in and kiss you, but I was also a nervous mess, trying not to light the grass underneath us on fire.
 

You didn’t run away, so that was a good start.
 

You didn’t look at me like you were afraid of me, and that, really, was all that mattered.
 

And then you asked me questions, and I answered them as best as I could. I created a small flame on top of my palm, then shouted in fear and surprise when you reached out to touch it.
 

You were amazing for being so calm about everything, when I knew I practically shifted your world on its axis.
 

I hugged you and said, “Thank you,” and for the first time in this millennium, I cried.


 

[I’m going to love you, every day in between…]
 

“You’re warm.”
 

“You love me because I’m warm?
 

“Yeah, and because you can shoot fire with your eyeballs.”
 

“But you said you already fell in love with me before I told you I was a god!”
 

“Mm.”
 

“So which one was the lie? That you love me because I’m hot or that you—”
 

“I didn’t say you were hot!”
 

“Not today, but last night—”
 

“Shut up, Seungwan.”
 

“Make me, Joohyun.”
 

“Oh my god.”
 

“That’s literally me!”


 

[It feels like more than distance between us…]
 

As much as I wanted to stay with you, to always be the last person you see at night and the first person you see in the morning, I had other duties that I couldn’t simply set aside.
 

And you understood. I knew it hurt you, but you understood.
 

I might not be with you every night, but when I could, I made it count.
 

I listened to your stories, maybe a few days late – or even a week – but I cherished them, and I fell in love with you all over again.
 

I slipped into bed with you, sometimes with my clothes on, sometimes without.
 

But either way, I tried my best to show you just how much I love you.


 

[In the stone-cold winter, in the storm of love, when it makes you pray for a miracle…]
 

It was inevitable.
 

Time was never a constraint for me until I met you.
 

Mortal life had never felt more finite to me until you came along.
 

But love had never felt sweeter until I had a taste of it from your lips.
 

I had never felt more alive than when you looked at me with love in your eyes, galaxies spinning to right themselves from the gravity of your smile.
 

Fate had never stung harder until I saw myself beside you, my skin still fair and smooth while yours—
 

That was the harshest winter of my stupidly eternal life.


 

[I’d give up forever to touch you…]
 

I was waiting.
 

By the gate, feet shuffling, ready to burst.
 

I opened my mouth to ask again, but Joy beat me to it and told me to shut up and just wait.
 

And then you were there.
 

Walking towards me with that smile that I’ve mapped out endlessly with my eyes and my lips and my hands.
 

And I ran to you.
 

I’ve missed you, my love.


 

A/N:

If some parts are a little vague, then they're meant to be that way! Yay mystery! (But really, it's just laziness. I'm sorry.)

I hope you liked it! <3

 

Songs used:

You Found Me by The Fray

Lips by SNSD

Crash Into Me by Dave Matthews Band

Every Day in Between by Chloe Bennett

California King Bed by Rihanna

Iris by Goo Goo Dolls