Epilogue

Little Lotus Flower

 

 

“Happy Birthday Daddy!” Sooyun smiles widely, teeth on fully display and the corner of her eyes crinkled, “I brought you some flowers today, I hope you like them,” she says as she places them into the vase next to the headstone before sitting down directly in front of it.

 

Sooyun closes her eyes and lets the wind blow her long hair around. A think strand gets stuck to her cheek and she brushes it out of the way.

 

“Sorry that I haven’t visited in a little while. I didn’t forget about you, don’t worry, but me and Appa have been really, really busy,” she apologised. Another gust of wind blew past her as if telling her that she didn’t need to apologise.

 

“I had my dance competition last week. I only came third,” Sooyun pouted, “but next time I’ll come first for sure!” she exclaimed loudly, pumping her fist into the air.

 

“At first I was sad but Appa said I did good and that he was proud of me. He said Daddy would be proud of me as well,” she smiled, “So Daddy, are you proud of me?” Again, the wind seemed to say ‘yes’.

 

Sooyun pauses again, taking a part a piece of grass with her small fingers.

 

“Appa misses you a lot. Sometimes he gets sad and starts crying,” she admits, lips turning down, “But other times he smiles and laughs a lot when he talks about you. I like it when Appa tells me stories about you. Daddy, you were really funny!” Sooyun giggles.

 

“But don’t worry about Appa, Daddy, because Uncle Seokjin makes sure Appa is alright. He still comes over every Saturday and makes yummy food and brings Jisoo over to play. I like playing with Jisoo even if she is littler then me and can’t do as much.”

 

Sooyun continues to talk and talk and talk, telling her Daddy everything that had happened since the last time she had visited. Yoongi looks on from a distance and smiles at his daughter fondly as he watches her arms move as she recounts her latest adventure.

 

“I have to go now Daddy, it’s Appa’s turn now,” she says, “I love you Daddy and I’ll come and visit you soon!” She leans over and kisses the headstone before getting up and running over towards Yoongi.

 

“Appa it’s your turn now!” she yells.

 

Yoongi smiles and gets down on one knee. “You all finished?”

 

“Yes,” she nodded, “I told Daddy lots of things. Now it’s your turn.”

 

“Okay. How about you go and play while Appa talks to Daddy?”

 

“Uh huh,” she says and Yoongi kisses her on the forehead. He watches her run off to the playground before he too heads towards the headstone and sits down.

 

“Happy Birthday Hoseok,” Yoongi says quietly. He doesn’t rush. He had all of the time in the world.

 

“Sooyun’s probably already said this but I’m sorry for not being able to visit as often as we used to,” Yoongi apologises, “I know you would tell me not to apologise but I feel like I need to anyway.”

 

“Our little girl is eight soon. She’s gotten so big!” Yoongi looks over to the flowers that Sooyun had placed in the vase earlier, “She looks so much like you. She has your personality and passion for dancing as well. She always says she wants to be like her Daddy and thank god she is because if she was like me…” Yoongi chuckled. Now that would be an absolute nightmare.

 

Once Yoongi sobers up a bit he sighs. “You’ve been gone for so long yet sometimes it feels like you were beside me only yesterday. I miss you, sometimes too much and it’s hard,” Yoongi admits. “It’s hard and there are times when I think I can’t do it anymore but I have to be strong, if not for myself than for Sooyun.”

 

“I know she hates it when I cry or when I’m sad and I hate it when she sees me like that. But I tell her that it’s okay to be sad and that sometimes it’s better to just let it out than to keep it in,” he rambles, “You were the one who told me that, remember?”

 

“I didn’t realise it but you taught me so much and I will forever be thankful to you for that.”

 

Yoongi glances over towards the playground and sees Sooyun happily playing with some of the other kids. She catches him looking and waves at him, Yoongi smiling and reciprocating the gesture.

 

“I probably didn’t say this enough to you but I love you Hoseok, I love you so much,” Yoongi’s voice shakes a little, “There was a time where I hated you for leaving me, times where I wished that you had never came into my life but I could never want that and I kick myself whenever I remember that.”

 

“I will forever be grateful to you for being a part of my life. You may have left it too early but you gave me the greatest thing I could have asked for; you gave me a daughter, a gorgeous little lotus who I’ll treasure and protect forever. You gave me my own little world.”

 

Yoongi looks up to the sky and sees the blue sky beginning to become tinged with pinks, purples and oranges.

 

“It’s getting late,” Yoongi comments, “I guess it’s about time for us to head home,” Yoongi swallows, wiping his wet eyes with the back of his hand. “I’ll visit you soon,” Yoongi stands up and caresses the headstone, “I love you.” He whispers before heading over to Sooyun.

 

“Appa!” She yells when she sees him coming towards her, “Have you finished talking with Daddy?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Did you tell him you love him?” She blinks expectantly up and him and Yoongi can’t help but smile.

 

“I told him I loved him many, many times!”

 

“Good cause Daddy needs lots of love,” she nods approvingly.

 

Yoongi laughs. “Okay munchkin, time to head home.”

 

“Okay Appa.” She grabs a hold of Yoongi’s had as they walk back to the car.

 

“We’re coming back soon, aren’t we?” she asks hopefully and Yoongi looks down at her.

 

“Of course,” he smiles, “Whenever you want.”

 


Okay so surprise! Originally I hadn't planned on adding anything to this but even since I had written it I couldn't help but think about the future. I entertained writing a follow up but because I was so satisfied with the ending I didn't want to ruin that. But then today I just couldn't stop thinking about this so I just decided to write and see how it goes. Fast forward to an hour later when I had finished this and I was like "If I don't post this I'm actually going to regret it" so here it is! Despite everything it's a happy ending, something which I wanted. Yoongi went through a lot being a single father but despite all of the hardships he's happy and so is Sooyun.

So, to all of those who showed this story love here's a little present. And to those who are new to this story and/or to me, thankyou for deciding to click on this!