Starry Night

Starry Night

It was supposed to be a sunny day but it seems that the weather report this morning was not even a tiny bit accurate as soon as the sky started to darkened when it was supposed to be when the sun is shining so brightly.

Kim Yongsun, a 28 year old woman started to curse when she felt a tiny drop of water coming from above. Maybe it was wrong of her to run away without her motorcycle. She was so angry that she didn't even thought of that and just ran away on foot.

The road was empty, for the last 2 hours since she ran away from the place that she was staying, not even one car passed by. She doesn't want to admit it but she was lost. She's not a local here, she was just a tourist. She even forgot to bring her phone with her, not even some cash. That's it, Kim Yongsun is a fool.

She stomped her right foot to release her anger but still careful not to stomp the beautiful flowers beside the empty road. She ran her fingers on her blonde hair and bit her lip from the frustration. 

She considered going back but she is still angry and even if she wants to, she can't because she's lost and there wasn't any buildings or even a shed to give her a shelter for the time being. Small droplets of water began to fall and she looked around to find something to cover herself from the rain but she found none. 

In the midst of the rain, Yongsun walked aimlessly. It was getting darker and she still don't know what to do. She was too deep with her thoughts that she didn't notice a car slowing down not until it honked the second time around. 
 
The owner of the black land rover rolled down its window and Yongsun stopped breathing for a second when she saw the orange haired driver. 

"...-et on. Hey, I said get on." the woman said.

Yongsun snapped out of it when the woman gestured for her to get on.

"My parents told me not to talk to strangers." she dumbly replied. The orange haired woman was taken aback by what she heard but she chuckled after while shaking her head.

"But you're talking to me, right? And besides, would you be alright? I heard that there's a storm coming and that it would continue to rain heavily. " she said.

Yongsun hesitated for a moment and the oranged haired woman waited for her answer. After an internal battle, she finally relented and went inside.

"So, where do you live?" the woman asked as she drived. Yongsun didn't answer and kept mum as her face began to redden with embarassment. She could not just answer that she was lost.

"Um... the name is Moon Byul Yi, by the way. You can stay over in my house for the meantime? I mean, the rain is getting stronger and it's hard for you to get home, would that be alright?" she said awkwardly.

Yongsun just nodded and looked outside the window. It was gloomy and the rain poured down heavily. 

The car stopped in front of Byul's house which has a ranch style architecture. Yongsun noticed that her outfit matched her house. She was wearing a short shorts matched with a black long sleeve.

Byul was accomodating as she immediately went to get her a towel and told her to take a shower since she knows that she is cold and that she couldn't afford to get her sick. After changing into a white oversized shirt and boxers, she went to the living room and saw the host staring at her. She didn't miss how Byul gulped and then looked away when she noticed that she was staring for too long.

"Uhh...I made hot chocolate to keep you warm." Byul said as she handed it to Yongsun.

Yongsun took a sip and she felt warm. She smiled as hot chocolate was her favorite.

There was a distance between them. Yongsun sat on the far left and Byul sat on the far right of the couch.  They were silent for a long time and only the faint sound of the rain can be heard. Minutes later, Byul spoke.

"So, what should I call you?" 

"Just call me unnie."

Silence again.

Yongsun just stared in front of the hearth but she saw on het peripheral vision that the woman beside her was taking sneaky glances every now and then.

"You know, you should do it discreetly. I could totally see you." she said that made Byul flustered and tried to make up some excuse but decided to shut up when there was no use. She got caught and that was it.

"It's just that, you are so beautiful. I have to look a lot of times just to make sure that you are real."

Yongsun's heart skipped a beat when she heard it. 

"Wow, that was so greasy."

She saw how Byul's nose crinkled everytime she laughs.

"Well, that's my talent."

Silence again but it was better than earlier.

"I ran away." Yongsun said as she stared at Byul's eyes. They were staring at each other's eyes and Byul waited for her to continue.

"I got into a fight with someone. I was just too angry at that time that it clouded my mind. I didn't take my bike, I forgot my phone and I was lost."

"Why did you get into a fight?" Byul asked.

Yongsun hesitated to answer but she knows that she has to let it all out.

"We made a plan to take a vacation here in New Zealand. We were supposed to enjoy it but then that person suddenly said that she has to go back because her boss called and that she promised that she'll be back soon." 

Her voice quivered as she stared to Byul.

"I- I know, I tried to understand her. She was busy and that she has work but she promised me that we would enjoy our vacation. No work, she said. I was happy because we could finally have the time to be together and it's our anniversary. So you know how dissapointed I was when she said that she has to go back?" 

Yongsun looked away when tears began to roll down from her eyes, leaving a hot trail on her cheeks.

"Maybe she had her reasons." 

Yongsun chuckled bitterly

"I tried. I tried to understand her but I just got overwhelmed by my feelings." she clenched her fists.

"I- my pride got the better out of me. I ran. I ran away from her. I was angry. I was angry at her and I am most angry with myself."

"I realized that I was too harsh with her. I was too selfish. I realized that she sacrificed a lot just to make some time for me. She took a leave when I got a cold just so she can take care of me. She squeezed every bit of her schedule so that she can spend time with me. I didn't realize that she was trying her best for me." at this point of time, Yongsun was a sobbing mess. She didn't care if she looked crazy but she could not stop.

Byul moved closer and gently cupped her face as she wiped away her tears. 

"I feel so horrible. Before I ran, I said a lot of hurtful things. And what hurts the most was that when I said that ot would be better of we broke up. I...I... I am such an idiot."

Byul hugged her and rubbed her back. 

"Ssshh...it's alright, it's alright." Byul said as she tried to calm her down.

Yongsun hugged her back, clinging to her as if she was her lifeline.

"I love her. I love her so much. I am such an idiot. How could I just throw away our relationship? How could I throw it away just because of this?  I love you. I love you, Byul-ah."

It took a while for her to calm down. Byul patted her back and kept murmuring into her ear that everything is gonna be alright. 

Byul reluctantly broke the hug as she stared at Yongsun. She smiled at the sight of her. She was a sobbing mess but it didn't made her less beautiful in her eyes.

Yongsun hiccuped which made Byul laugh.

"Aigoo, you know that acting is not my forte but you still acted like we were strangers. I almost laughed out loud when you said that you don't talk to strangers."

Yongsun hit her and Byul let her.

"I love you too, unnie. I love you. I love you, so much." she said sincerely that made Yongsun teared up again.

"Yah! Why are you crying?!" Byul said as she wiped her own tears.

They fell into a comfortable silence as they hugged each other in front of the fireplace which light up strongly and made the room so warm.

Byul kissed Yongsun's head every now and then and draw small circles on her waist. Yongsun nuzzled her head on Byul's chest and hugged her tighter.

"Unnie... you know how awkward I am, right?" Byul said as Yongsun hummed.

Byul broke their position as she fumbled something in her shorts.

"Hyejin said that I should make you mad but I didn't know that it would come to that point, you know?" she continued.

Yongsun gasped as she saw Byul opened the velvet box and went down on one knee.

"I'm really bad with surprises but here goes nothing." she said and cleared .

"My sun, my light. This may sound cliche but it only hold the truth on what I really feel. You are my light when I am at my darkest night. You are my hope. You make me cry, sad, angry but you also give me happiness. Our relationship is not perfect, there would be always ups and downs but I know that we would always be together. You just make me feel whole. I love you, Yong." Byul said, every words that left held so much emotion, there was only truth.

"Will you marry me?"

Yongsun almost choked with her emotions. She was speechless. How could someone like her make her feel like this? 

Instead of answering, she hit her.

"Yah! How could you do that? That's so unfair! Is it possible to fall deeper in love with you?"

Byul hugged her so tight that Yongsun couldn't almost breathe.

"I just did."

They both laughed as they held each other, basking each others' warmth under a starry night.

(Breaking news: Weather reports are inaccurate!)