From Afar

Like A Brother

"Yo! Jackson!, what's up man?"

 

It was the same greeting she always used when they hung out, always the same fleeting butterflies lingering in his stomach when she hugged him briefly in welcome. He'd never tell her, but he'd always felt something for her, it had started as a friendly brother-sister feeling, like he wanted to protect her from every danger in the world. Even though she was older, he felt like an older brother, maybe it was how short she was.

"Yo, Amber man, i'm good!, how're you?"

 

They walked to Amber's apartment and sat on the couch, watching crappy tv, Amber in the kitchen at random intervals, cooking and making sure her pets were fed and watered. Jackson loved how much she took care of them, she would make a good wife and mother some day, any guy would be lucky to have her in his life. Wait, what was he thinking?, he wanted to be that guy, he should be the one she came home to everyday, but how could he tell her how he felt and not ruin their friendship?, he couldn't and he wouldn't.

"Hey, numbnuts!, what are you staring at? !"

Jerking out of his daydream, he hadn't noticed Amber had finished in the kitchen and sat next to him, the warmth of her thigh on his and the slight scent of her was making him feel like confessing to her right now, before she had a second to say anything more. Turning to face her, his words caught in his throat, only one escaped from his lips before there was a knock at the door.

*Knock knock knock*

"Am.."

 

He watched her open the door, still lost for words, he hoped whoever it was would just leave before he got too nervous again and never told her. A woman walked in who looked exactly like an older version of Amber, her sister, Jackie. Great!, now he couldn't tell her, so instead he watched tv, ignoring everyone, stewing in his own self pity, Jackie sat down next to him, Jackson could see her glancing in his direction but he kept on watching tv, not even looking around when amber sat on the floor in front of Jackie.

*ping*

 

Oh crap, now he had to look away from the screen, a text popped up from his bandmate, maybe he should leave and try again another day?, or maybe, just maybe everyone would leave them alone for a split second and they could talk like he wanted to. No, he had to leave, get some air and maybe try again later, standing up slowly, he muttered some kind of apology that he had to go and he left, all the while staring at his phone, trying hard not to hate Jackie and BamBam for interrupting. As he stepped outside, he open his contact list on his phone and scrolled down to BamBam's name, touching the 'call' icon and putting the phone to his ear, leaning against the apartment building's outer wall, trying to catch that elusive summer breeze.

[BamBam: Hello? Jackson??]

[Jackson: Hey Bam, wassup?, I was with a girl..]

[BamBam: Yeah right!, who? someone I know?... I bet it was an idol, like Taeyeon or someone you'll never get *laughing*]

[Jackson: YAH! I told you I don't like Taeyeon..anymore.. it was someone else..]

[BamBam: ooooh.. who? spill!!, do you love her? Tell me!! *whiny tone*]

[Jackson: I.. fine.. *sighs*]

Door opens and Amber walks out with Jackie.

[Jackson: Yes I do love her actually, but you can't tell her... It's Amber..]

Amber looks at Jackson, shocked and a little bemused, Jackie laughs and walks off, leaving Jackson and amber alone. Jackson drops his phone, BamBam's voice is muffled as the phone hits the floor, cheeks burning, Jackson finally looks at Amber as his phone breaks on the concrete pavement.

"I...uh...Am..I..."

Not waiting for her to reply, he steps closer and pecks her lips quickly, embarrassed, he runs off, leaving his phone behind, along with a slightly confused Amber. Standing in the very same spot for a few minutes, she touches her lips, how could she not have known that he felt this way?. Jackson stopped in an alleyway a few streets away, catching his breath, oh man he'd done it now.