AUTUMN

Last Days
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

OCTOBER 2018

"Congratulations!!"

This loud greeting welcomed me as I walk to the living area.

"You passed!" Somi excitedly handed me her phone and showed me the list of passers posted on the website of the South Korea Medical Licensing Institute.

"Congratulations son, I have always believed in you." My dad pats my back as my mom engulfed me in a tight embrace. Once she lets go of me, "Why don't you go tell her the news? I'm sure she'll be very very happy."

She will, definitely.

That's for sure.

 

Before heading to her, I went first to the flower shop near our home to buy her white roses she has always loved.

"Jungkook?" I immediately turn my head as I heard a familiar voice.

"Mingyu?"

"Bro!" he exclaimed with this extremely surprised face painted on his face. "How have you been?" he asks, before I could even answer, he promptly adds "By the way, congratulations. It doesn't matter if it took you 2 years what's important is that you're back in the game. I knew you'd make it."

"Thanks man."

"You buying her flowers?" He asks with that playful smirk.

I just chuckled a little, "Yeah."

"Do you mind if we come? I mean, Seulgi and Jeongyeon. It's been so long since we last visited her, you know, life has been a little busy for the three of us." he asks.

I just nodded my head and said "Sure bro. I'm sure she'll be happy to see you, and about that busy life, I'm sure she understands."

Of course she understands. Being a doctor is never easy.

That's right. Mingyu and Seulgi passed the medical board exam 2 years ago, so naturally the both of them have lesser leisure time. Their time has been occupied with research and saving the lives of a lot of individuals in South Korea. While Jeongyeon was assigned in Daegu last year as part of her duty as a nurse to serve our countrymen with no boundaries.

 

The ride was quite long and so we spent it wisely by catching up with one another.

As soon as we arrived, Seulgi ran towards her and gave her a pat. "I'm happy to see you again." she smiled dearly.

"Hey," Jeonyeon then suddenly said "Your man right here," she paused to point at me "finally decided to go back to his senses. He finally got that title before his name." she cheerfully informed her.

"Hey, I was supposed to bring her the good news, why are you guys ruining this moment?!" I joked while shaking my head, acting disappointed with their unstoppable mouths.

The girls just laughed. But then I noticed how Mingyu is creepily staring at me.

"Man, stop staring. You're scaring me." I acted as if I'm getting chills over his stare.

He just laughed loudly before he turned into his serious face and warmly tells me "I'm just genuinely glad that you're back. It's been 3 years since that happened. And I'm sure Chaeng was the saddest as she witnessed you like that."

And that's when it hit me.

It has been 3 years.

3 years since that happened.

In the autumn of 2015, my life totally turned 180 degrees.

 

2015

"Happy New Year!" I kissed her forehead as I greet her.

Just then I heard her dad clearing his throat, "We're still here, young man." After hearing that, I abruptly let go of Chaeyoung and rub the back of my neck.

Mrs. Park then chuckled a little and lightly slap her husband's arm, "Honey, stop that. They're a couple, it's just natural and besides, that was just on the forehead, stop over reacting." She defended the both us, but then her next words make my blood rush up my face "I wonder what will you're reaction be if you have witnessed their passionate kiss last night."

Mr. Park's eyes grew bigger than ever, "WHAT DID YOU SAY?"

"Mom!!" Chaeng yelled, then covered her face to hide her embarrassment.

Can you imagine our faces when her mom walk in on us while we were, ehem, kissing?

Oh God.

Mrs. Park laughed out loud, "Anyway, it's new year. Let us all be happy, okay?"

That's right.

We should just be happy.

 

"Hey, why don't you just sleep?" I asked her when I saw how wide awake she still is.

She just snuggled closer at me before saying "I just want to treasure the moment. You know. Okay, don't be mad but it feels unreal that I am still here and it's 2015."

I bring her closer to me, if that's even possible "Get used to it cause it's going to be the case for 2016, as well as 2017, then 2018, also 2019, and so on.. until 2200."

I felt her body shaking as she chuckles "Oh God, how I wish that's true."

"It will be. Trust me." I assured her. Because I know she's a strong girl. No doubt about that.

 

"Hey bro! Congratulations for winning the raffle. What a lucky man!" My friend Yugyeom greets me as I win an accommodation for two at Yongpyong Resort, the best resort snowboarding and skiing.

"Yeah man! Now is your chance to be lovey-dovey with Yoo Jung, you can hold her hand while skiing! Oh, and.. and.. you can have some romantic moment with her in the cable cart!" DK shares as he obviously pictures us doing the things he had just mentioned.

I furrowed my brows at them "Why would I do that with Yoo Jung?"

"Come on man, stop playing hard to get, okay. You've been buying white roses every morning and that is Yoo Jung's favorite flower. So stop denying, you can't fool us." Yugyeom teases.

I raised both of my palms infront of them, "Well, that's true. I've been buying white roses and it is true that I'm giving it to someone special. But they are not for Yoo Jung."

They all bore their eyes on me, as if I'm talking in some alien language in here.

"It's for my girlfriend... Chaeyoung."

"Chaeyoung?" I instantly turn to see the owner of the voice.

Yoo Jung.

Without saying a word, the guys left the two of us alone.

"Chaeyoung? The leukaemia girl?” she questions with her eyebrows meeting in the middle.

I bite my lower lip as I refrain myself to burst out in anger "That's right. That’s her.”

She just chuckled mockingly and crossed her arms in front of her "You're seriously dating her?"

Okay, my lip might bleed now as I tug on it tightly as my temper raises so high.

She then walked closer to me, then exhaled deeply. "Jungkook.." she sweetly called my name and held my hand "I know you're a kind person but stop confusing your pity as love."

"Wh-aat?"

"There's no way that you're going to love a sick woman. Jungkook, don't make the biggest mistake and regret of your life." she smiled at me.

I take my hand away from her "I know what I feel. I have to go."

But before I could even walk away from her, laughed a little louder.

I decided to just leave her behind but then her next words are the worst things someone could ever tell a person "She’s going to die you know that, right?"

I turn to her as her words pierced right through me, I saw her eyebrows raised the highest.

"It's simple, Yoo Jung. I am in love with her." I tell her straight.

She scoffed and said “Okay, fine. Do whatever you want but just hope that when the time comes that she leaves you for good, I’m still single.” She paused a little “And into you… so just hurry.”

I then walk away from her. But before leaving the room completely, I added.

“Thank you for that offer but she’s going to stay with me for the rest of my life. That, I'm sure of."

 

To say that I didn't get scared by Yoo Jung's words would be a lie.

Which is why I decided to get the best out of the time that we share together. I asked for her parents and Dr. Lee's permission to take her with me to the resort to celebrate Valentines together.

She excitedly packed her favorite coats, gloves and boots as this is her first time in so long to go out during winter.

“Are you sure you can do this?” I check on her once more as the trainers put on our helmets.

She beamed brightly at me “Don’t worry about me, I’m totally fine.”

My heart melts as I see her genuine happiness.

And before I could even prepare, she slid while screaming so loudly.

“Chaeng! Slow down!” I immediately follow behind her. We slid down the hill full of snow, laughter filled the air the surrounds us.

When we reached the bottom, Chaeng laid down while panting so hard. I instantly went to her side to check if everything’s fine.

“Are you okay?” I asked worriedly.

She then fixed her hair that’s covering her face as she gave me the most beautiful smile ever. She nods her head delightedly before answering “Yes.” She then held my hand and placed it on her chest, “Can you feel it? My heart’s beating so fast. I’ve never felt exhilarated for so long.”

My eyes soften at her words. And without hesitation, I kissed her lips for, I don’t know how long.

“Then, let’s do this more often, huh?” I rest my forehead as my heart wished that this moment will last longer.

She chuckles a little and pinched my cheeks, “Yes sir!” she then lightly taps me.

I lay down beside her as I kept my hold on her hand.

“Hey, you have to be stronger, okay?” I suddenly blurted out as Yoo Jung’s words linger into me.

“You have to drink all your medicines and vitamins to keep your body healthy. You have to sleep early; you have to be careful with the food you take. Be cautious with your surroundings, avoid sharp and hard objects, and don’t let any part of your body to bleed… Just... Just be careful so we could stay like this forever.” I didn’t notice the tears that stream down my face as I ramble the reminders I have always kept to myself, just to avoid the topic.

I turn to my right when I didn’t hear any word from her. And she’s there, staring at me. We look at each other’s eyes for so long, speaking only through the emotions that we have.

“Jungkook, stop thinking about that.” She warmly told me. “I actually hate it that your mind is full of worries instead of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter